Fran Cannon -- Anyone know if his MBA's are REAL?
Posted by: CognatusNoctem ()
Date: May 31, 2006 10:55PM

[b:80280695b0]Fran Cannon is trying to build a thriving seminar business in San Diego. [/b:80280695b0]He has already taken $1595.00 from my wife and I (not counting hotel fees, time, donations for shirts, etc.) and we are not happy. Because of him we now know what an LGAT is.

We need a little help researching his professional qualifications. We know this is a long shot but it is a first step before professional help.

[b:80280695b0]These claims that Fran Cannon makes on his website may be true. [/b:80280695b0]At the moment we have no way of verifying those claims.

I have been scrubbing the web trying to find verification of certain claims he makes on his website (www.thegreatamericanbusinessowner.com). He is listed at the Income Builders International but his name has no link to any history about him, colleges attended, or businesses for which he worked.

In his seminars he stresses that one should be "[u:80280695b0]clear and specific[/u:80280695b0]." He claims that he has masters degrees in business management (MBA) and a masters degree in acquisition and contract management (ACM). [b:80280695b0]There is clearly no reference to which specific college, business school, degrees by email, or mail order college these might be from and specifically what years he attended.[/b:80280695b0]

He claims to have worked in corporate America for 25 years. He has a long list of jobs he performed but no [u:80280695b0]clear and specific[/u:80280695b0] references to who, what, when, or when. [b:80280695b0]The information provided consists of generalites only.[/b:80280695b0]

The BBB (he is not a member) shows that his Cannon Training began in January of 1992. He claims that it has existed for "over the last 20 years."

If anyone knows anything about Fran Cannon or Cannon Training (Also called Cannon Training and Development) we would much appreciate the information.

CN

Posted by: Hope ()
Date: June 01, 2006 06:26AM

Write to him and ask him. It is quite common for pseudo-gurus to claim to be PhD (piled high and deep) when in reality, they have mail-order diplomas or no degree at all. My doctor's "premed" degree was done in reform school. Even if he does provide the name of a school, check it out.

PS - I emailed him asking where he went to school and worked. We'll see.

Date: June 01, 2006 06:45AM

Thanks, Hope. I will write and ask him for his credentials as you ask. Do you think it wise to send that letter certified, return receipt requested?

CN

Posted by: kath ()
Date: June 01, 2006 09:51PM

You could email him too, you might get an answer quicker.
Love
Kath

Date: June 01, 2006 10:38PM

Thanks, Kath

Perhaps I can do both. That way I will have a quick answer and a hard copy.

CN

Date: June 02, 2006 05:20AM

Hi Hope,
Thank you for your email.

One Masters (MBA) degree is from San Diego State University the other
Masters Degree ACM (Acquisition and Contract Management) is from West
Coast
University - they had a campus in Mira Mesa.

I worked for US Navy, General Atomic, General Dynamic and Hughes
Missile
Systems. At various times at these companies I was a nuclear reactor
operator, a trainer, an estimator and a contracts manager and
negotiator for
contracts up to $115 Million.

Over the last 20 years I have taught 600 Weekend seminars on Personal,
Professional and Business Development. I have also coached several
hundred
small businesses at a seminar called Income Builders International.

Other information is on the web site WWW.francannon.com
If you have any other questions please feel free to call me at
619-284-7664.
Fran Cannon

Date: June 02, 2006 06:58AM

I tried to check on the MBA's using the information obtained from email. It seems that they hide this information; the facts are not public.

Isn't it convenient for both SDSU and West Coast to require permission from their former student for verification. Since there is no way to verify these MBA's without permission anyone could claim to have an MBA. Forms must be filled out in each case to obtain verification.

As for the jobs held, he did give us companies this time. Without the dates worked and the specific jobs done it would be difficult to verify employment.

Impasse? :evil: No! :twisted: I must find a way!

CN

Date: June 02, 2006 07:25PM

Again, call the schools and tell them you want to know if this guy really graduated because he is claiming he did and using it in his advertising. Most schools will at least tell you that. They would want to be associated with successful graduates and take credit for some of it. The one time I had a school NOT divulge was when it turned out to be a "reform" school for very troubled kids and not the university the graduate made it out to be.

Did you determine if these schools are accredited, mail-order or diploma mills? Do they actually offer MBA programs?

Addendum: From a blog in which someone is questioning another person's degree claims - "West Coast University had been a regionally accredited residential
(mostly nigh school) university, from 1909 until they went out of
business in June 1997. I am still trying to figure out if they lost
their accreditation (from the Western Association) and then went out of
business as a result, or if the accreditation was terminated because
they went out of business for other reasons. In any event, they behaved
responsibly, depositing the school records with another school, and
leaving that information with WASC. They did Bachelor's and Master's
only. It would be interesting to learn if this government official (a)
claimed one of those degrees, and (b) claims to have done it
residentially in California.

John Bear, Ph.D. (Michigan State University, 1966)
johnb...@degree.net
[www.degree.net] "

Date: June 02, 2006 08:39PM

Thank you, Hope!

I called West Coast and they sent me over to voice mail at registration. I am waiting for a reply. I email SDSU and am waiting for a reply. Their site sends you to a "pay for" service that requires the permission of the inquired.

Did you determine if these schools are accredited, mail-order or diploma mills? Do they actually offer MBA programs?

West Coast University shows one location in the United States in Los Angeles. They have two websites www.westcoastuniversity.com and
www.westcoastuniversity.us. The first website has only one page and states "classes starting soon -- call today!" The second website has a few
"under construction" pages and pages linking to the wrong informations, such as the locations page.

They do have an MBA program but their page states that "many of the Business Administration concentrations are only available online" and "availability varies by location." They say they are accredited by QAS, a UK recognized body for ISO Certification and Standards. They also say they are accredited by the accreditation council for higher education www.ache.ws and www.iauci.com, and by the UKAS under the authorized Website: www.imsm.co.uk.

West Coast is a attend at your convenience and time schedule school offering online study as well.

The addresses on the two sites are not the same, but the company name is. The .com site is registered to the address listed on the site. Here's the interesting whois info: the administrative contact has his email @americancareer.com which is a medical, dental and massage college located at the same address as the .com site! American Career College lists three locations in Southern California.

The .us site server refuses to answer the whois request. That is highly unusual.

SDSU is accredited but the MBA is not listed.

San Diego State lists the following on their site: "The knowledge obtained in the B.S. degree at SDSU should be sufficient to qualify ..." I have emailed them to see if they offer an MBA. I can't find reference to it anywhere.

I have further research to do but this is what I have for now.

CN

Date: June 02, 2006 09:19PM

We don't know the year of his diploma either. West Coast was bought out by another company in 1997. LOL - I saw that very informative one-page website, too. Quite helpful.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.