Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
friend went to Landmark Forum meeting. Should I worry?
Posted by: Bird ()
Date: May 24, 2006 03:22PM

Hi
I'm new here. My best friend asked me if I had ever heard of this thing called the Landmark Forum. I had not. A coworker of hers went to a meeting and said it was "life altering" etc and suggested that my friend attend. I visited the LF website and wrote back to her with my thoughts; it looked like a bunch of hokey crap, something akin to Franklin Covey repackaged for the new millenium. But if she thinks it will help her, then fine, I'm all for it.

Fast foward a month to last weekend when I get and email from her immediately after attending the forum. She's raving about it and how it's already changed her life for the better.

This woman is levelheaded, successful, very highly educated, has a wonderful family, but is in somewhat of a low point with her career. I was surprised that she would be so taken with this meeting. Being a scientist, I am skeptical of just about everything and I immediately smelled a rat. I did some research and came across this website, among other information about the LF including its history, mission - well, let's just say I read about everything I could find on the internet.

Should I be concerned about my friend? Is there potential that she will truly benefit from this "class"? Is there any valuable information? Certainly they're not asking anyone to drink Kool-Aid or antyhing like that, it just sounds like a big extortion racket to me but is it dangerous? I think she is too intelligent to be swayed by the bad points of this and I am hopeful that as she distances herself in time from the event, its effects will diminish and she will be left with whatever benefitted her from the meeting. Am I being naiive or overly concerned? Should I worry? I hate to doubt her or insult her intelligence and integrity by questioning her involvement, but I've read so many horror stories about this thing.

I was surprised to see this labelled as a "cult" which I guess is what has me worried. Had I not done some internet searching, I probably would not have been concerned at all and taken her for her word that it was a beneficial meeting. Will it go farther than just taking her money?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: lightwolf ()
Date: May 24, 2006 08:42PM

Bird
Should I be concerned about my friend? Is there potential that she will truly benefit from this "class"? Is there any valuable information? Certainly they're not asking anyone to drink Kool-Aid or antyhing like that, it just sounds like a big extortion racket to me but is it dangerous? I think she is too intelligent to be swayed by the bad points of this and I am hopeful that as she distances herself in time from the event, its effects will diminish and she will be left with whatever benefitted her from the meeting. Am I being naiive or overly concerned? Should I worry? I hate to doubt her or insult her intelligence and integrity by questioning her involvement, but I've read so many horror stories about this thing.

I was surprised to see this labelled as a "cult" which I guess is what has me worried. Had I not done some internet searching, I probably would not have been concerned at all and taken her for her word that it was a beneficial meeting. Will it go farther than just taking her money?
Should you be concerned? Yes. Should you panic? No.

Read some articles here: [www.culteducation.com]
Also, peruse the threads here. You'll see many similar stories and the experience posters have offered.

Questioning is not an insult to her intelligence. This is well orchestrated mind control, exploiting vulnerabilities in the human mind, and an individual's life situation. First step is to educate yourself and make sure you never, ever go to the Forum. Second step is to work with your friend.

Glad you are here. Keep us posted.

-lightwolf

Posted by: Acid Reindeer ()
Date: May 24, 2006 08:46PM

Bird
I think she is too intelligent to be swayed by the bad points of this

her intelligence won't make her immune. they work on the emotions.

Posted by: glam ()
Date: May 25, 2006 04:03AM

In fact, groups like these purposely target intelligent people. One way they play on your emotions is to have you believe you're privy to "insight" the "common man" will simply never understand.

As others have advised, I would be concerned but not panicked. Read as much as you can, and understand the process of thought control. The "meeting" your friend attended actually lasted about 15 hours a day for three days running. It's meant to be emotionally and physically exhausting.

Have you read the Lifespring study? Lifespring was very similar to Landmark. When the article was written thses semniars lasted two weekends; they're now down to one. But it gave me some idea of what actually occurs in these "meetings."

[www.culteducation.com]

Date: May 25, 2006 07:43AM

Thanks for all your advice. I was verging on panic...but I think I can say it's down to a "seriously concerned" level now. I read almost everything on this website and was I found that was particularly disturbing was the similiarity in her language describing the event and the incidences described by the writers. Prases, key words, they were all the same. It was bizarre and was as if they were talking about my friend.
I also read from people who had attended the seminar that after a short period of time following the event, after the "high" wore off, they realized what they were getting into and didn't go back. I hope this is the situation.
I have not heard from her in a couple of days, but will keep you updated.
Thanks again.

Date: May 25, 2006 07:50AM

I also found this website:
[www.scooponlandmarkforum.com]
I am well aware that doctors are not immune to brainwashing, but could someone handle the LF in a rational manner and use it to their benefit?

(Obviously I am trying very hard to find the good in this!)

Posted by: glam ()
Date: May 25, 2006 09:28AM

I understand you wanting to find the good in it, but the fact that your friend is raving about how it changed her life forever is probably not a sign that she's looking at it rationally. :wink:

Date: May 25, 2006 10:48AM

Bird
I am well aware that doctors are not immune to brainwashing, but could someone handle the LF in a rational manner and use it to their benefit?

(Obviously I am trying very hard to find the good in this!)
Bird, it's good that you are checking everything out, even the stuff that is pro-Landmark. Only by examining everything can you find what you believe.

That said, be wary. Landmark is not an island. It is an eclectic blend of several philosophies and ideas, some believe related to New Age ideas, and is one example of many expressions of these ideas in our society. Those who are fond of other types of post-modern, existentialist, New Age, . . . whatever, philosphies will find Landmark attractive. This is why it is important to dig, or benefit from the work others have done, to find out who is saying what.

The purpose of these LGAT, human potential trainings is expressly to deconstruct the mind. It is purposeful elimination of rational ability. Being rational is considered a "racket" (bad). One should go with their intuition and "choose" (good). So, to answer your question, I believe it is NOT possible to take Landmark rationally, since by design they eliminate your ability to be rational. You may be thinking "I can handle it, now that I know." If so, I would ask if you really want to tempt this? This program has been refined over decades to deconstruct minds. They are good at it. They disarm your defenses (they say this themselves). You are not immune.

I know the desire to find good in it. After all, it seems so wonderful. Excited, smiling people. Wonderful stories of transformation and fulfilling lives. Relationships are revived. New dream jobs are found. No children cry and no puppies starve. How can this be bad? It is all an illusion, crafted to separate you from your money and make you dependent. Read the Lifespring link glam provided. It is a good one. Read some of the other stories on the landmark link I provided. Here's one in particular that I like:
[www.culteducation.com]

Keep asking your questions. They are great!

-lightwolf

Date: May 25, 2006 11:45AM

Bird
I was surprised to see this labelled as a "cult" which I guess is what has me worried.
I just caught your statement that you have read almost everything on this stie, so if this is old news, I apologize. But if you haven't read the link below, please do.

Here's a great resource to check out this angle of your questions:
[board.culteducation.com]

The Self Magazine case referred to in the first post of this thread deals directly with the cult question.

It's interesting you say above that you noticed the similarity in language: phrases, words etc. The transformation of language is the key to the whole process. This is why they all talk the same. It is also, in my opinion, one of the best evidences that they are under the influence of thought control.

Hope this helps.

-lightwolf

Date: May 25, 2006 06:35PM

Bird
One more thing Bird,

When I went to the site above, my cookie manager popped up and said that "www.landmarkeducation.com wants to set a cookie." Hmmm. Evidently Landmark runs scooponlandmarkforum, so of course they are going to be positive.

On the site, I saw no disclosures of the link to LEC -- kind of "inauthentic" of them don't you think?

-lightwolf

Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.