Re: IMPACT Trainings
Posted by: formerimpactgrad ()
Date: May 15, 2010 03:32AM

I found this blog via google and thought that others might find it interesting:

Level Headed Diatribe Against LGAT “Impact Training”

This material represents over a year's worth of reading, researching, and careful professional and personal studies in order to provide a informed, well-reasoned, educational viewpoint rather than my initial knee-jerk reaction to the topic. Presented here is my final conclusion on the matter for your review.

I run the risk of offending a number of people that I am close to with the material that I present here - both because of my assessment and opinions of the LGAT organization "Impact Training", and because I may also cite religious materials in the process. Normally I leave personal relationships out of my posts, as well as religion - this is a public forum after all, and the materials I'm likely to discuss here have nothing to do with either (it's a personal geek blog, after all). I am willing to take this risk because the alternative is to say nothing, and I find this far less palatable than being despised for standing by my scruples. I'm saying it in public in the interest of helping and inspiring others.

First up, what is this all about?

LGAT stands for "Large Group Awareness Training." It is a model of presentation whereby groups (usually large ones, hence the name) are exposed to selected materials under circumstances designed to elicit compliance and predictable responses. That "designed to elicit" part is my take on them - most of the definitions of the format include language such as "teaching simple but often overlooked wisdom" etc., which has more to do with content (and their opinion of it) than the delivery mechanism itself. More on this in a moment.

"Impact Training" is an organization operating locally in Utah as a purveyor of content using this format, which has gone on to combine its own origins with pop psych, a warped version of LDS theology, hard sales, and MLM practices in order to operate a for-profit organization for its own enjoyment and aggrandizement. It leverages several key principles of psychological manipulation to deliver its content under the guise of improving confidence, self esteem, relationships, and material success. The remainder of this article will be broken into two sections, "Method" which describes the tools of LGAT, and "Madness" covering the specific philosophies and principles of Impact Training.

Method

To best describe LGAT methods it's appropriate to pull in some primers on its history and evolution, and some principles of modern psychology and their background.

Impact Training specifically comes from an individual by the name of Hans Berger, who has been involved as a founder and controller of both Impact Training and the "Harmony Institute" here in Utah. Hans got his start with "Lifespring", which itself is an offshoot from the "Landmark Forum", which came from "est" (erhard seminars training [capitalized as branded]), which came from "Mind Dynamics", a component of "Scientology" (done with the "quotes" for now). The basic premise remains essentially unchanged from the abreactive therapies on which it was founded and are visible even now in the Dianetics that Scientology still deals in. Abreaction itself is simply a form of catharsis - the release of previously repressed emotion. This release typically takes the form of reliving events, but can be disembodied (which is to say, not linked to a specific trauma or episode) as well. The military looked at a formalized proposal for Abreactive Therapy following WWII, and concluded that though potentially effective it took too long and the results were not on par with other therapeutic techniques available at the time1.

In more modern psychology, catharsis and abreaction are occasional tools but are some distance from main line practice because of some significant drawbacks. The emotional release, while temporarily pleasing, does not absolve the original sensitizing events or traumas of their sting (repeated desensitization can be used to help, though that has more to do with controlled exposure to traumatic memory in a safe and productive environment than simple expulsion of pent-up emotion), and suffers from re-interpretation (experiencing memory in the light of the present state of mind) and false memory mechanisms (fantasy and invention, even unintentionally). Which is to say that, based on the presentation of the technique it's possible to elicit an abreactive response from an individual solely in response to the environment, without basis in any specific or even real emotional injury.

The Impact Training LGAT utilizes several techniques to produce abreactive responses to its own ends. I'll go into both the techniques in play and the intent with which it does so (which both still fall under the "Method" part of this discussion). First, the techniques.

Visualization, Guided Imagery, and Hypnosis: I myself am a practitioner of hypnosis; it's an excellent working toolset for the application of behavioral psychology at the subconscious level, and if used properly can help to re-wire aberrant or undesired manifestations of motivation (e.g., behaviors) in non-conflicting and gestalt ways very quickly (specifically through the use of the hypnoanalytic techniques developed by Milton Erickson, rather than the more commonly portrayed authoritarian or sensationalized stage versions of hypnosis). I enrolled in certification as a hypnotherapist in 2002 in light of the bad tech economy as a fallback career which was never required (I landed with Overstock and things picked up from there). To date I've only ever used its therapeutical practices on myself, to reasonable effect. In the case of Impact Training, however, the analytical approach is avoided: the specific accounts of the imagery used there indicate standard induction practices (descending darkened staircases, presentation of doors, contextualized environments, etc.) and are then followed by very selective exercises. What and who the subject encounters and the means of their interaction with the same are dictated, and while the content of that interaction is up to the subject it's predictable given the setup. It is meant to be confrontational, potentially provide some resolution, but mostly be empowering to the subject based on the transference of emotional responsibility that is the essence of the Impact Training philosophy.

The results of the repeated visualizations are reframed by the "Trainer" (I say "Trainer" in quotes as a branded(tm) title rather than an earned honorific, as the Impact Training staff are not licensed or certified by any governing body and are in fact students of the program themselves working off the volunteerism required to advance rather than credentialed therapists). Reframing is the practice of interpreting content (usually carefully selected content) according to preferred ideologies, prescribing "this is because of that" and "x is due to y" correlation to imply causation and inculcate those ideologies in the subject or other observers.

This same reframing is applied to lots of emotional responses, produced not only via the guided imagery but a host of other exercises and activities. One of the most distressing for me to learn about was the experiential reframing: an exercise where one participant discloses to another an event wherein they felt victimized, specifically a personal and meaningful such episode. After mutual disclosure from the other participant both are instructed to repeat their original story but from the vantage as though they were somehow responsible for the event themselves (this touches somewhat on the "Madness" content that will be explored in greater depth later). Having a person make such an assertion about their own experience, even if they are predisposed to discount such an assertion (and the preparatory exercises to that point do their best to reduce or eliminate such a predisposition), is tragically manipulative.

Why would a person go along with such an exercise? The key psychological tendencies which make LGAT sessions successful are that:

1. People are wired to trust one another. If you are given a written statement, and told in advance that any portion of that statement written in red ink is false, you will still be influenced by it to a degree as though it were true.
2. People are wired to listen to authority figures. As illustrated in the Milgram Experiment, and relied on especially heavily in LGATs via the establishment of the Absolute Authority of the Trainer (usually through overt authoritarianism and over-the-top bullying of non-compliant participants: anyone arriving late or otherwise not adhering to the strict and stressful schedule, for example, is deeply berated as a public example in front of others)
3. We are influenced by the behavior of those around us. Through the use of mirror neurons which inspire observed behaviors and reactions within the observer, and the natural tendency toward conformity, it's possible to expand the affect of an exercise and its reframed response from one to many, and to use the many to reinforce and enhance the intensity of the same so it really sticks. LGAT sessions frequently have plants as well - prior participants and other accomplices placed throughout the audience who already know the anticipated response and play along (either to earn the favor of the Trainer and advance, or in order to help things progress in a controlled fashion).
4. Emotions produce endorphins. Eliciting extremes of emotion causes a cocktail of endorphins to be secreted throughout the brain, as effective as if administering mind or consciousness altering drugs via syringe. The "Love Bombing" stages of LGAT depend on this, specifically the production of endogenous opiates that both block pain and create a social-bonding specific high that reinforces desired attitudes and responses and inspires a need to return to the same (behavioral/chemical addiction).
5. Emotions trump rationale. There are 2 paths of analysis in the human psyche: emotional and rational. The rational is the one that says "it's unlikely that person approaching from the other direction means me harm" and it's the emotional that says, "yeah, but if they do I'm in for a world of hurt" and makes us cross the street anyway. Statistics, oddly enough, seem to act as the antidote for this by grounding the rationale in something concrete.
6. Distraction induces suggestibility. The schedule of the LGAT is structured to be demanding, high-paced, and run extremely late into the night/early morning in order to keep the energy ramped up and reduce the amount of time for digestion, critical analysis, or rejection.

As to the intent of these methods then, and to finish up the line of discourse regarding abreaction, the authority figure produces dramatic and intense (intentionally dramatized and intensified) responses from participants, frames them according the the preferred ideologies, and uses the group setting to amplify the emotional response in an environment designed to make people susceptible to suggestions regarding the same. This falls under the "predictable response" and "compliance" parts of my initial description of LGATs.

Other tools in use are standard propagandist indoctrination (refer to the Institute for Propaganda Analysis, 1938), and some cultic persuasion practices: secrecy, isolation, and specialized dialog.

On the point of secrecy, attendees are counseled that they are not to reveal anything of the proceedings to those who are not also themselves participants in the program, and even then only up to the level of that participant. They are requested to sign "non-disclosure" agreements at the beginning of the sessions to reinforce this fact and provide an authoritative standard on which they can rely, and this point is hammered home with remarkable force.

This secrecy lends itself to a form of isolation - unable to discuss the nature of the experience (which, from the perspective of the participant so affected can be a subjectively remarkable experience they are eager to discuss, or an unsettling one for which they require consolation), with any other than the group or prior attendees associated with their program, sets them apart from the world (and frequently from family and friends). They must rely on the new special-status group of co-participants or the Trainers who are in a position of authority over the same.

New terminology or new definitions for existing concepts are regularly introduced and strongly reinforced, creating a specialized dialog for discussing the experiences that makes little sense to those unfamiliar with the glossary. The loaded words and phrases create an extra layer of distance between participants and the uninitiated, and are used to prop up the philosophies of the training: much the same way that experiential reframing is used to instill a particular perspective in the subject, altered dialog is used as a means of manipulating thought through manipulating language. One of the remarkable attributes of the psyche is its ability to create contiguous reality out of disparate sensation - in many ways the condition in which one finds oneself is based on an almost external level of observation: "Am I smiling? I must be happy then." Language is a part of this - the words we speak reflect attitude and belief, and if the words are altered it changes the regions of the brain in play (exciting some, suppressing others) and by association the expressed attitudes. In Impact Training, for example, "need" becomes "deserve", and all such "needs" are discussed as the things a person "deserves."

The final steps of isolation come from Love Bombing: the literal bombardment of affirmations of acceptance and even physical affection that overload the limbic system (responsible for secreting those endogenous opiates in response to positive social contact) and overwhelm rational barriers and any negative self-assessments. This exaggerated display of endearment creates a sense of belonging within the group that draws a very distinct line with what is now the "outside world" that fails to understand the participant and their budding transformation. It creates a very real chemical high and associates it with that social environment - the same one wherein any misstep concerning the schedule or authority of the Trainer results in massive public beratement. The combination of control and reward have a deep and profound effect, lasting a few weeks to a few years, though other times waning without refreshers (which is where the sales tactics come in to solicit further participation).

Though minor by comparison, there's also the very human tendency to throw good money after bad - these "courses" cost several hundred to a few thousand dollars, and people are likely to see them through in the interest that their money not be wasted, rather than cut their losses early (or ask for a refund, which results in more hard-sales tactics and stiff opposition).

These components follow the basis for all "coercive persuasion" that is the foundation of cultic indoctrination: breaking down resistance and existing psychological structures, introducing new "preferred" ideologies and doctrines, and reinforcing those into the new structures on which the subject is meant to rely (as well as working to limit threats to the same so they remain in affect). These methods produce predictable psychological and emotional responses in the vast majority of the populace - not any specific sub-group of gullible nitwits looking to sign over their concept of reality to the first authority to offer them one, but in fact just about anyone subjected to the battery. They (the methods) are specifically geared to overcome barriers and alter one's general conceptual orientation of the world, and in that goal they tend to be distressingly effective.

Madness

The specific philosophies (especially at the introductory levels of the program) of Impact Training follow the standard Mind Dynamics and other new-age empowerment paradigms. They assert not only that the unclouded mind has immeasurable potential to affect the reality around it (the literal world, not just conceptualized experience of the same), but that ultimate responsibility for the condition of one's existence is entirely up to the participant, and in fact always has been.

This assertion is both positive and negative: one can purportedly "manifest" the reality they "deserve" with the right kind of "spiritual action" (yes, the "quotes" are back), and there are special tools and abilities open only to the initiated to assist them in so doing. It also means that everything that has ever happened to an individual has somehow, consciously or otherwise, been a similar controlled "manifestation" of their own intent, even those involving external entities. All the way up to the weather they've experienced or the drunk driver who killed their family, whatever you've got: the more personal and dramatic the better. Through the indoctrination received, one supposedly inherits the ability to "choose" or "choose out" of first the influence of these events upon them, and then the events themselves as a component of the physical universe.

Beyond the simple laws of physics and conservation of energy revealing such a thing to be impossible (or so comically improbable as to not be worthy of consideration), this philosophy taken to its final conclusion would pit every individual in the world against every other individual, as well as all forces of nature both terrestrial and cosmic. Were this philosophy and its influences to be real, what would be the final arbiter of conflicting manifestations, and how could suffering exist in any form but to be the responsibility of the sufferer? It belies the compassionate humanitarianism (which is nothing at all like the humanized version of vegetarianism) that I believe is the responsibility of every member of organized society and encourages a self-centered orientation of the universe.

Impact Training, as is the standard for LGAT, uses hard sales tactics to persuade, beg, and bully participants into enrollment for successive and increasingly expensive courses. No excuse is accepted, as the tools already imparted to them will supposedly enable them to overcome any obstacles to procuring necessary funds. Any questionable fiscal wisdom or responsibility of the participant to continue is irrelevant - if they have truly accepted the doctrines as presented and are capable of genuinely committing themselves they "deserve" the continuation and can't afford to not continue. Shared pressures from the rest of the group are asserted, and those opting not to continue are either praised for their pledge to continue as resources and timing coalesce to their favor or belittled for not choosing to adhere to the path of enlightenment (though in their defense I've heard that recently the personal attacks for non-continuation have been toned down somewhat).

The Trainer at this point is usually a volunteer of the program, someone demonstrating their dedication to its efficacy by the number of recruits and continuing participants they can manifest. Any inability to effectively do so means the Trainer is simply failing in the execution of the reality-altering concepts, and needs additional training and reinforcement themselves, and any success belongs to the methods and system. This kind of self-fulfilling assertion begins in early levels of the program as participants are strongly urged to recruit family or friends to first attend closing ceremonies and then go on to enroll, with credit and advancement awarded to those successful recruiters (and in some cases "advancement" being conditional on exactly those circumstances).

The hard sales and Multi-Level Marketing style of recruitment as requirements for continuation in the pseudo-cultic program are in my opinion a horribly destructive combination: either one manages a continual stream of inductees and is heralded as a success to the program, or failures become their personal responsibility and grounds for mental and verbal abuse. Accounts of burned-out Trainers putting on the best face for the crowd as their lives fall apart (both within and without the organization) are repeatedly available online, and the responses and rebuttals from Impact Training adherents frequently resonate with double-speak and "blame the victim" tactics that quite honestly creep me out.

At advancing levels of training the overt LGAT tools are no longer necessary due to the depth of the indoctrination and reliance on the group it has created. It is here that the warped LDS theologies are introduced and used to play on LDS members' (of which there are of course a great many in Utah) beliefs as a means of turning spiritual and religious devotion into yet another mechanism of attachment to the organization. I will not repeat any of those specific assertions in public, because I do not feel they warrant repetition of any kind - I'm willing to discuss it privately with anyone (no secrecy here), I just don't ever want to be associated with the words in a public and searchable place. It is also in these levels that the highest amount of volunteer commitment to enrolling others in the program is required until one breaks into the inner circle or burns out and departs.

I have seen a few people go through the program, and I've been genuinely scared by the amount of unrighteous influence I saw exerted upon them and to which they seemingly wholeheartedly subscribed. On the LDS side of things this very much smacks of priestcraft (doctrine for sale), the "philosophies of men, mingled with scripture," and the flattery and telling of pleasing things in order to lure people away from the truth (or their beliefs, such as the case may be). Abandonment of principles and morals associated with those beliefs followed, including a complete falling away from the organization of the Church itself (which has also issued an open letter to its membership specifically targeting these kinds of organizations, but does so in the light of day).

I count myself among the rational participants of the world, and have specifically chosen my religious affiliations (and am willing to discuss this with others, including how I can use the word "rational" and "religious affiliations" in the same sentence). I claim the privilege of worshiping according to the dictates of my own conscience, and afford others the same freedom. What saddens me here is not so much that others do not share my own beliefs as it is to see a core cultural and personal/spiritual conviction undermined by con artists and hucksters for the purpose of turning a buck without regard to the potentially destructive consequences. If they believe their own schtick, I pity them. On the other hand, if they perpetrate these acts knowingly, then Gentlemen: I drop my left glove at your feet and await your response to the challenge.

Any of those of you affected by the teachings of this or other such organizations, I continue to regard you as I always have - I may be saddened by the current state of affairs and the distance it has created between us, but only because I continue to love and cherish you. Loving from across a chasm I cannot bridge yields sadness is all.

For more information I highly recommend searching around for "Impact Trainings" and "LGAT". Take the materials on both sides with a grain (or fistful) of salt and draw your own conclusions. For those open to considering direct challenges to LGAT practitioners (as opposed to those who would rather hear no such thing) I have a thoroughly bookmarked and dog-eared copy of Cults In Our Midst by Dr. Margaret Thaler Singer I'm willing to loan out (though I would like it back after it makes the rounds).

The original can be found at:

[blog.paultomlinson.net]

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: walker ()
Date: May 17, 2010 11:25AM

Someone I know recently approached me about Impact, and I wanted to do some looking before committing to anything. In the process I found this thread, and partially as a result of the things I read here I decided I wanted nothing to do with Impact. (I just finished reading this whole conversation-wow, is there a lot here! Thank you to everyone who's participated over the last several years.)

Even though there is zero chance I'll get involved with them, I'm still hoping that someone who's been through Impact (and is willing to talk about it, unlike the person I know) could explain a few things that just make no sense to me at all.

First off, the way they use different words for things. Some of the substitutions with synonyms at least still make sense in normal conversation, but others...not so much. Why the use of "deserve" instead of "need"? To me, at least, "deserve" usually sounds very entitled, very self-centered. What rationale does Impact give for using it?

Likewise, how are "heart" and "mind" understood? Everyone's comments here indicate that Impact is very much against the use of the mind, and I've noticed the heart/mind stuff in conversations with the Impact graduate. Do they admit at least a small need for using your mind? Or is the use of your mind unreservedly criticized?

Finally, a couple of questions not directly related to language control: people have mentioned that people in Impact are coached and are encouraged to coach each other. (This is mentioned on page 112 of this discussion.) What does this mean, exactly? Also, what's involved in the ropes course? (I've seen discussion of plenty of the techniques from Quest and Summit, but not as much from Lift-Off, and I've always wondered how different motivational/training/whatever organizations used ropes courses in their training.)

Thanks again for everyone's efforts and involvement here!

Date: May 18, 2010 10:05PM

Here is the list of replacement words for common everyday words. They talk about these words as being “the language of increase” instead of decrease, and get upset with you if you can’t get the lingo down in a few short days.
HELP- now use ASSIST because they think ‘help’ implies that if you receive it you will owe the helper something.
NEED- now use DESERVE. I used the word “need” about my daughter and was corrected to say “deserve”. Ummm, little children DO need their parents, so their stupid replacements don’t always make sense.
WE/YOU- Must always be replaced with “I” or “ME”, because you can never speak for the group. See, even right there, I would be required to say “Because I can never speak for the group”.
UNDERSTAND- Say this word and you will get “Understanding is the Booby Prize of Life”. Whatever the hell that means, I think it just has to do with them not wanting you to think.
THINK- Now use FEEL, cause THINKING requires ANAL-yzing, and they really say it just like that. ANAL-yzing.
Oh and don’t forget “My experience of you is” and “I get that about you” and on and on…
Finally, if you say “I don’t know” to the trainers they’ll come back with “UNLESS YOU DO”. I also heard a woman in my training tell her husband she was tired and he said “UNLESS YOU AREN’T”. Ummm, yeah.

To answer your mind/heart question the Heart is the same as Spirit to them, and the Mind is the same as Ego-Mind. They don’t like you (whoops “I” haha) to THINK. They believe everything should come from the heart. And no, they admit no need for the mind, it’s not EVER encouraged, it’s always the HEART.

To answer the question about coaching: Yes, there is an exercise I forgot to mention in my post on the previous page where you get feedback from the staffers, trainers, and most of the group. They split the room up into ARCS, as they call them. Chairs in the shape of Arcs, about 3 ARCS per row, and I don’t know how many rows. There are about 7-8 people in each ARC, and you are instructed to get up one at a time and alternate between arcs until you’re back at your original ARC. So all in all, you get feedback from 3 different ARC groups. The trainer asks a question and gives you 20 seconds to start talking to the specific ARC you’re in. After that, EACH and every one of the people sitting in the ARC gives you feedback saying “My experience of you is…” and then you’re humiliated beyond imagination generally. Some people actually say some spot on stuff that is sensitive, but most others take the opportunity to make blatant judgments about you based on 20 seconds. It’s very distressing. Most people are bawling by the end of ARC 1, let alone ARC 3. At the end of the feedback, if the group thinks you “GOT” what they said, they’ll raise their hand as a way to give you positive feedback that you’re receptive. If someone in the ARC doesn’t raise their hand it means they think you’re not receptive. The trainers specifically tell everyone that if they got feedback that they don’t agree with they need to dig deeper to see the truth in it. *rolls eyes*.

Posted by: walker ()
Date: May 19, 2010 01:13AM

TiredofManipulation,

Thank you for your clear explanations, about language, the heart/mind, and feedback arcs. That sheds some light on things. I didn't realize that the previous use of the word "coaching" was the same as the feedback arcs, for instance. (This is also the clearest description I've read of how they work.)

There are so many things that just seem wrong with Impact that I almost don't know where to start, but I think the biggest one is how abusive they sound. If I were in the room I can imagine going along with the group and trying stuff that seems a little weird (like the relaxation/hypnotism stuff), but why on earth does anyone take all the yelling and insults and degradation and judgments from people who don't even know them? Why do they let themselves be broken down and verbally/emotionally abused? One thing that seems like a pretty universal human trait is that almost everyone believes in treating other people with respect and decency (whether you're religious or not). What possesses people to put up with this stuff?

The person I've talked to compared it to boot camp, which also has a reputation for being pretty harsh and abusive. To me, there's a difference: boot camp is openly training you to obey orders, plus toughening you up (physically and mentally). But that argument doesn't sound all that persuasive to me when I imagine a discussion with the Impact graduate I know. Do any of you have any ideas? How would you shoot down the comparison?

Posted by: spiritual? ()
Date: May 19, 2010 01:13AM

Walker-

Coaching someone is connected with a couple of ideas Impact presents. One of them is during feedback arcs as described above and another is a reference to lift-off coaches. In general, if someone comes to you asking for coaching then they are "opening their space" to receive feedback from you. they are dealing with a problem and seeking assistance so they can have a breakthrough. In other words, their giving you permission to tell them what you really think about them. I've seen this practice lead to confusion and animosity in many relationships. I've seen couples break up because they were constantly "coaching" each other (ie berating each other) and thought it was fine because they were just trying to assist the other person to reach the embodiment of who they really are. (I think I might throw up now).

As far as lift-off goes. The ropes course is made up of numerous events like z-line, angel crossing, life line, shark island, couples connection, trust walk, trust fall, the perch, angel bridge, the wall and many others. The gist is that these events are supposed to get you in touch with your buddies, or your angels, or be a real-life demonstration of your trust level. Things like that. During the course you have some whole group events (trust fall, trust walk, and shark island) and then you are broken up into smaller groups where a "coach" takes you to each of the smaller events (z-line, couples connection, the perch, life line, the trapeze thing, angel crossing, angel bridge, etc). Each of these events also has a facilitator. The facilitator gives instructions for the event and then afterward he/she leads a discussion to help you get the point of the event. They are also there to keep the event moving, like if someone gets stuck at the top of the perch and is scared to jump off. The facilitator talks to that person until they either jump or climb back down. I remember getting pissed at more than one even when someone would get stuck at the top and I didn't get a chance to participate in the event because time for expired. Of course, I was given feedback that it was my own fault for not taking more initiative. I was asked to look at how I contributed to the result and how it was a reflection of my life. They assumed that if I had stayed more focused and better projected my good vibes towards the person struggling they would have had a breakthrough sooner and we all would have gotten a chance. (gag me) The day culminates at the wall where you set a time with your group to get everyone over the wall. If you make the time then you celebrate the angels who assisted you. If you miss the time you look at the feedback. Only two people can be at the top of the wall at a time and there's no ropes unless you request one. If you request a harness your "buddies" can't use the harness to get you over the wall. I have seen many butt shots during this even that I wish I could erase from memory. Let's just say that a 350-400 pound person going over the top of a wall assisted by 75 other people is never a pretty sight.

Let me take this opportunity to mention that NONE of the people on the ropes course are actually trained (including the belays). Usually they are just volunteers that look strong. Probably the worst experience I've seen on the ropes course is when one lady fell from angel bridge got caught in the ropes. She asphyxiated while the belays were figuring out how to get her down from the ropes. 10 minutes after falling she was finally lowered to the ground and started breathing again instead of calling an ambulance we all focused our energy to help her recover. I can't believe she made it out. The worst part of it is instead of changing the event or canceling based on this incident we kept right on doing the event. Future lift-off groups even participated and I'm sure still do to this day.

Also, I'm sure they've added and changed events since I was there last, but there's a general synopsis.

As far as the rest of lift-off goes, each of the other weekends have a theme (abundance, couples, enrollment, and others I can't remember) during them you focus on increasing your abundance or relationships, or whatever, but in the end the underlying theme is that you're supposed to use these tools to enroll others in the training. It's evident that they want you to "heal" your relationships so they will trust you. If they trust you then they will enroll. If they don't enroll then that's your feedback.

If you want details on each of the events specifically let me know and I'll get to it when I have a chance.

Date: May 19, 2010 02:17AM

Walker-

I guess I was confused about the "coaching" thing. Yeah, it has more to do with what spiritual? talked about. But I thought the feedback stuff was good to include anyway, cause it's welcomed and encouraged for all group members to give their "family" feedback.

To answer your question, I honestly don't know why some didn't walk out. I think it's just a reflection of a person's self-esteem. Mine, for example, generally sucks and I got duped into going to Quest because I really thought I needed *something* to get me away from me. So, people like me who believe themselves to be their own worst enemy, and who already take abuse from themselves probably are more willing to take it from others. Granted, I'm not a doormat, infact, I speak my mind pretty freely and stand up for myself generally, but when someone is talking about your deepest darkest fears and insecurities about yourself, that you hold for YOURSELF, you tend to let them do it. Now, with the stuff that WAS off-base I didn't take anything out of those people's opinions.

The only way I was able to separate the forest from the trees is the God manipulation stuff. Since I'm unabashedly Atheist all of it struck a wrong chord with me and freed me to look at the "priestcraft" type of business Impact is. Honestly I think if I did believe in God, in any form, I might still be duped by Quest and may have decided to start Summit.

Just my opinion.

Posted by: Hopeful Soul ()
Date: May 31, 2010 11:56AM

Viewing interest on this thread is certainly on the upswing. Back at the beginning of this year, I noted a view rate of about 1187 hits per month. In a very recent two week period I noted 1016 hits, which translates to around 2500 hits per month in round numbers. This is a very high rate relative to past viewing and also to viewing on LGAT threads in total when compared to little old Impact Trainings' single, Utah bound operation. Some bathroom wall, as Impact has disparagingly called it. Perhaps the increasing viewing interest is because viewers recognize the superb job posters are doing of peeling back the layers of secrecy and exposing facts about the origins, real motives, and all other aspects of Impact. Does it mean anything that the magazine of the International Association of Scientologists (IAS) is called "IMPACT?"

Posted by: dazedandconfused ()
Date: June 04, 2010 08:51AM

Hopeful Soul
Viewing interest on this thread is certainly on the upswing. Back at the beginning of this year, I noted a view rate of about 1187 hits per month. In a very recent two week period I noted 1016 hits, which translates to around 2500 hits per month in round numbers. This is a very high rate relative to past viewing and also to viewing on LGAT threads in total when compared to little old Impact Trainings' single, Utah bound operation. Some bathroom wall, as Impact has disparagingly called it. Perhaps the increasing viewing interest is because viewers recognize the superb job posters are doing of peeling back the layers of secrecy and exposing facts about the origins, real motives, and all other aspects of Impact. Does it mean anything that the magazine of the International Association of Scientologists (IAS) is called "IMPACT?"

I have a feeling that those at Impact are just getting sloppy like they have in the past. It could be that the amount of drug addicts and alcoholics in the current LMT 3 trainings are speaking a little bit too much under the influence and people are questioning. Information is power and Impact has had such a hold on what information is getting out that those still using their brains are searching. I think 'Mr. Corporate trainer' , one of the most dishonest people out there has ruined their 'credibility' quite a bit with his pretend promotions. I, for one, hope that more people read this before they too throw away their lives as others have before them.

Date: June 04, 2010 12:28PM

Poor people going through their 3rd day of Quest training tomorrow, and Lift Offers from the previous Quest training are starting tomorrow. I really hope some of them run.

Posted by: Caromaiden ()
Date: June 04, 2010 11:40PM

Dear TiredofManipulation,

I read your story and that exactly what they did to me. Although they made me worse things but I luckily faced them. I confess at that time I had a mix of emotions: on the one hand I was afraid that these people were out of their mind, crazy, manipulated. I have the disadvantage of being a girl and to be rather small but I got strength, courage, and I deal with this difficult situation, at the point I told to the coach, in front of all my mates, this "course" was a fraud. Then when I considered it was the right time: I ran away to home. I did up to half of the second level which I think it was enough...
My ex-boyfriend recommended me the "course", obviously I trusted him and that’s why I went.
Honestly I doubt he have understood how bad, disappointed I felt and in fact he has told me several times I did not know to understand what the “course” really wanted to transmit me (?) Thank God I did not understand! Well, I prefer my interpretation which is brainwashing. Still I do not understand how someone can expose a person such things like these (?)
Actually I am recovered, luckily I broke up with my boyfriend, I got away from people involved in coaching training, I’ m very happy and I am doing some research I'd like to spread, both in Argentina, which is the country where I'm from, as another country to any other person would not be injured by such fraudulent therapies.

Thanks so much for the list of words that you posted!!

Greetings from Argentina!! :)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.