Re: IMPACT Trainings
Posted by: Hopeful Soul ()
Date: January 10, 2010 10:36AM

This Impact Trainings thread has been running since May 4, 2006 or about 44 months. It has been viewed about 57, 100 times or at the rate of about 1298 times a month. A recent 10 day sample shows a viewing rate of about 1187 times per month. This means that this thread is still being viewed at slightly less than the long term rate, even though the postings are down to only one in the last month. Of the various LGAT threads, Impact Trainings has far and away the most viewing activity. It appears that there is still a lot of interest in what is posted here. Maybe there is not much new left to say, but there is surely an endorsement of sorts by the viewers that find something worthwhile here that merits continued viewing beyond all competition. What does it all mean? Impact Trainings certainly cannot take much comfort in the ongoing viewing rate. They could do an analysis of what this may mean for enrollment, but of course they hate analysis.

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: January 18, 2010 10:33PM

[www.deseretnews.com]

The above link is a must visit for anyone interested in the "human potential" or "transformational training" seminar world. It is an article from the Deseret News in Salt Lake City published Sunday, Jan. 14 1990 and written by Joel Campbell, then a Staff Writer. I found the article to be full of information on Impact Trainings and five other transformational trainings operating in the Salt Lake area 20 years ago. For example the article says that the cost of the various core trainings of Impact are: Quest, $325; Summit, $650; and Lift Off, $125. This has got to be a typographical error. The cost of Lift Off was likely more like $725 than $125 at the time. Also the article says that Hans Berger holds a master's degree in business administration. That is the first time that I have heard that claim. Whatever the truth, the article seems extensively researched and has numerous quotations by various professors and professionals in the realm of psychology that critique the Utah for-profit training sessions - such as Impact, The Training, New Horizons, The Next Step, etc.

I'm surprised that it took me so long to find this 20 year old article. I started with the link box on Cult Education Forum. This lead to Impact Trainings Critic, which in turn had a link to the Deseret News Jan. 2000 article.

I really like the title of this article, "Self help or Lost Hope?"

Posted by: concernedforall ()
Date: January 19, 2010 04:20AM

The 20 year old article is a great find.It tells quite a story about how these trainings came about. Just recently at Impact several long time LMT 3 people were asked to leave because they started their own group.They feel threatened and cast you out if you don't comply with their wish for them to be your only group.This really shows that the real meaning behind the training is money and nothing to do with everything they claim it to be.

Posted by: Impacted ()
Date: January 24, 2010 12:01PM

>>and Lift Off, $125. This has got to be a typographical error. The cost of Lift Off was likely more like $725 than $125 at the time.<<

Not a typo. Back in the day, LO was kinda like LMT/TIT 3 is today. Part of the "cost" was not in $$$ but in the "energy exchange" (staffing and enrolling, attending meetings, doing various meditations, etc, etc, etc.).

Posted by: ImTierd ()
Date: January 28, 2010 11:41AM

It's been quite a while since I have posted here. My soon to be Ex got involved in Impact. Wow, what an experience and I don't mean that in a kind way!
I did my homework early on and came across this site, learned a lot and decided this type of training is for weak minded people, those who needed to be told or guided in how to make decisions in life......because something was holding them back. Impact teaches about accountability, but it empowers you to only be accountable for YOURSELF. Whatever you have created the past 10, 20, 30 yrs of your life with others seem to be brushed under the rug. If you are not on board with being recruited into this type of training, be prepared to be left behind....this is a Secret Code with people going to Quest, Lift-Off, and all of the other types of trainings offered. From someone who has gone through this and I don't mean the training.....Trust me....IMPACT is EVIL.

Posted by: ResearchingTruth ()
Date: January 28, 2010 12:50PM

ImTierd
If you are not on board with being recruited into this type of training, be prepared to be left behind....this is a Secret Code with people going to Quest, Lift-Off, and all of the other types of trainings offered. From someone who has gone through this and I don't mean the training.....Trust me....IMPACT is EVIL.

These are, unfortunately, all too familiar words coming from those loved ones left behind, such as myself as a result of a (once) dear friend who joined Choice Center of Las Vegas. And as you say, not just Impact does this, but all those other similar est/Lifespring spinoffs. I'm sorry for each and every person who goes through this, as I know how difficult it is to watch someone go through these bizarre soul sucking, money thieving 'transformations', and how difficult it is to watch yourself become increasingly less significant to them in their new phase of 'empowerment'.

Just wanted to interject.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/28/2010 12:57PM by ResearchingTruth.

Posted by: too much ()
Date: January 31, 2010 01:47PM

ImTierd
I did my homework early on and came across this site, learned a lot and decided this type of training is for weak minded people, those who needed to be told or guided in how to make decisions in life......because something was holding them back. Impact teaches about accountability, but it empowers you to only be accountable for YOURSELF.

The majority of resources I have read emphasize that cults prey on anyone. To say that Impact is for the weak minded is blaming the victim for being victimized. I'm not trying to be mean, I just really hate hearing people say that someone has to be weak to get tricked into a cult.

As for accountability, Impact changes the meaning of the word in an effort to berate people. It's meant to blame, shame and guilt attendees into submission and obedience.

One thing I would like to point out, although I'm sure it's been said before, is that the conditioning begins before entering the Impact building. Impact teaches their students how to groom friends and family so that they will go in and stay in. People generally want to trust their friends and family; Impact takes advantage of those relationships for recruiting and conditioning. I have to say that I thoroughly agree - Impact is evil.

Date: February 05, 2010 09:28PM

Recent posts have declared Impact Traings to be evil. What is the truth? I suggest testing by using a framework suggested by the Apostle Paul in Galations, chapter 5:19-26. Impact would have you believe they have the fruits of the spirit, that is: love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness, temperance etc. I suggest that they really have the works of the flesh, that is: idolatry, wrath, strife, and heresies, etc. Apply this framework for analysis objectively to Impact and discover for yourself what they are truly up to. From what I have observed, LMT is rife with idolatry.

Posted by: Ali5683 ()
Date: February 23, 2010 04:34AM

I haven't been on here in a really long time. I received an email from someone asking questions and decided to read through the newer posts. Everytime I hear stories about people struggling because of Impact it breaks my heart. I have to tell a story that I hope will help Mother of Impactee:

Mother of Impactees ~

I, like your daughter, went through some traumatic experiences in my life right before I attended Quest. When I heard of the training I was so excited because I truly thought it was the answer to my prayers. I was so depressed and down on myself. I thought this was it. I went through Quest September of 2006, Summit in October of 2007 and Lift Off immediately following Summit. Lift Off was paid for by another trainee so I didn't have to pay the nearly $800 either. Anyway, my experience of Impact while I was in it was fantastic. I had so much fun, learned a lot and met some incredible people. But, little did I know that it was all fake and it was going to ruin me. After I graduated Lift Off I chose to staff A LOT. I staffed a training every month up until February 2009 when the truth finally came out. Or I at least finally saw it for myself. I'm not going to go into detail here about why I realized Impact was all a lie but if you're interested in knowing more email me privately and I'll explain. But after I stopped going to Impact for any reason, I almost ended my life because of the effects the training had on me. The training did so much damage, that in May 2009 I had a gun up to my head. The worst part about that, is I was 4 months pregnant. That sounds really bad and it is.

I've never wanted to end my own life let alone was I ever depressed. And we were so happy to be having our first baby. But deep down inside I didn't feel worthy to be a mother. I didn't know why. But I remembered all the horrible things I learned about myself in Impact and thought to myself "I don't deserve to be a mom, I'm going to be horrible at it." So many terrible things went through my head at that time and I felt like I was worthless.

Long story short, I obviously didn't end my life (Thank GOD!). It was the kick of my baby that saved me. I talked to my boyfriend about how I was feeling and decided to go to therapy. In therapy is where I learned that it was because of Impact that I was so down on myself. I have been on medication for depression since then and hopefully I know I will be on medication for the rest of my life. I don't blame Impact for 100% of that but for most of it I do. I've always been a happy, bubbly, excited person. For me to be depressed and want to end my life is not like me at all. Especially while pregnant.

I've since then recovered from the thought of ever wanting to end my life, had my baby and am happy again. But it took me nearly a year of therapy and family support to get back even a fraction of what I lost.

There is a such thing as an Impact High. It's very similar to that high you get when you're in the beginning stages of a new relationship. Like the honeymoon phase. It wears off, then the person realizes it was all fake. I learned some real stuff in Impact but the way it's taught is very unhealthy.

Just a quick note about what Impact can do to someone who is mentally unstable:
I put my best friend through Impact. He then turned around and tortured and murdered my dog, then tortured my other dog trying to kill her. Impact teaches there is no right or wrong. He truly believed that he did no wrong and that he didn't need to apologize. He even said that he takes accountability for his actions so he shouldn't be punished. Accountibility should automatically make everything ok. He was punished and I pressed charges. But he had some mental issues and if someone isn't careful with those who suffer from a mental illness they can cause some serious damage. This is why we have professionals who can handle those with mental illness. Leave it to the professionals. Not 2 people who think they are God and manipulate people to thinking Impact is the new way of life.

I lost friends, family, jobs, etc. by being what Impact says I should be. Not a good idea.

I hope my story helps. Run away from Impact and any other LGATs like it.

Date: February 27, 2010 10:56PM

[video.google.com]#

This link takes you to a Lisa McPherson Trust (LMT) demonstration of the dyad process called Training Routines (TRs) used by Scientology. When I viewed it I recognized the similarity of this exercise to the dyadic portions of Impact Trainings. Also the acronym LMT itself rings a bell. LMT is also used by Robbins Research International in marketing the services of their Life Mastery Trainers. James Arthur Ray is mentioned on this site. You can check that out at Speakers Platform.Com. I found these relationships in reading the James Arthur Ray thread, which is currently hyperactive discussing the Arizona sweat lodge deaths incident. Sedona, AZ is only about 165 miles from Show Low, AZ where a big wildfire in 2002 was contained by the mystical use of the blue flame by Hans Berger, as reported on this thread.

I found that reading these other threads on Scientology and James Arthur Ray allows the weaving of a fabric yielding understanding and insight into Impact Trainings processes. Not to connect dots that don't deserve connecting, I have to wonder what, if any, is the connection. Did the Bergers select the title of their Life Mastery Trainings (LMT) as a cynical attempt to distance themselves from the possible association and comparison with Scientology? The Lisa McPherson Trust is afterall the great enemy of Scientology. For Impact trainings to be perceived by potential trainees as using the same coercive persuasion techniques as either Scientology or James Arthur Ray would not serve their enrollment success in their unique marketing environment.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.