Re: IMPACT Trainings
Posted by: Glaucon ()
Date: April 28, 2009 09:33AM

Hopeful Soul said:

"My points are: Impact divides families, this is anti-LDS purpose and doctrine; the Church is not, in the least, impotent in countering such"

The LDS, just like Impact, encourage people entering the church to forsake anything that will hinder them to progress in the organization. One's family members, including spouses and children, are not exempt. LDS missionaries, just like Impact trainers, have no problem telling "investigators" to ostracize skeptical family members.

My LDS parents were divorced, partially due to advice given by the stake president, relief society president, counselors and bishop, all who were highly respected in their ward and stake. This forum has cited cases where Impact has ruined marriages in a similar fashion.

Hopeful said : "Sarah, a newly returned LDS missionary, on return to her home finds that her family is deeply divided into the pro-Impact faction and the anti-Impact faction. The Pros enroll Sarah in Quest. The Antis get wind of it and raise red flags to Sarah's local ecclesiastical leaders who have hand books with the so called impotent cautionary information about self-awareness groups."

Just like Impact, the LDS put uneducated, untrained people in authoritative positions. Many have NO background in formal psychological training or assessment. Bishops are trained to refer the mentally ill to professionals, and I was once referred by a bishop to an LDS social worker. Very unbiased, eh? I actually came home from my mission with immediate family who were divided into pro and anti Impact. I chose anti Impact, but oh how I wish I had handbooks warning against BOTH Impact and LDS.
Hopeful said that Ballard said:

"Certain factions of society seem generally mistrustful of anyone who chooses to live according to religious belief. And when people of faith attempt to warn others of the possible consequences of their sinful choices, they are scoffed at and ridiculed, and their most sacred rites and cherished values are publicly mocked."

What Ballard fails to add to that quote is that religions, like Impact or others, employ mistrustful methods all the time. The way cults warn people about sin, or missing on a once in lifetime opportunity, is a fear tactic to get them in and dependent on the cult. How do cults expect to be free of criticism when their agendas point directly to getting people financially and emotionally hooked on their admonitions? Ballard's playing the victim card doesn't work on me, I would rather be mocked than brainwashed.

Hopeful, when you defend your religion by citing sources from within it, it gives no weight to your point of view. Its just another way to say "I believe this".

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Hopeful Soul ()
Date: April 28, 2009 01:41PM

Glaucon,

You are right. My purpose in quoting Ballard was to show what he said about right and wrong being in contrast to Impact doctrine and to show what the authoritative position of the LDS Church was. When an apostle speaks in conference, that is scripture, official doctrine of the Church. To point that out is describing what is happening, not prescribing what I think or believe should happen. I don't want to break the forum rules.

Posted by: bubbleboy ()
Date: April 30, 2009 07:10AM

Hey, exImpact. My roommate from last semester is in Impact. Gonna be doing the TIT thing soon (i think he is in Lift-Off right now). I would like as much information on Impact as possible. All of it, if possible. Some of the stuff that I saw that he left laying around was more than a little trippy.

Posted by: exImpact ()
Date: May 01, 2009 02:19PM

bubbleboy
Hey, exImpact. My roommate from last semester is in Impact. Gonna be doing the TIT thing soon (i think he is in Lift-Off right now). I would like as much information on Impact as possible. All of it, if possible. Some of the stuff that I saw that he left laying around was more than a little trippy.

Post what you sent me in the PM. He is off the deep end. Refer him to this message board. Show him information about other LGAT's. Get him off the idea that impact is the one true training. Or, find a new roomate. He will disrespect you with his intrusive BS, as will his brainwashed pals. It's not worth the pain my friend.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/01/2009 02:22PM by exImpact.

Posted by: formerimpactgrad ()
Date: May 02, 2009 12:07AM

I'm thinking about starting a "shit campaign" against the Impact trainings. Instead of arguing with them, I am simply going to drive to Bluffdale a few times a month and deficate in front of the building's main door. I do not believe this will bring down the company and I do not expect it to change anyone's opinion about the organization, I just think it would be REALLY funny!

The Bergers will probably send out one of the office bitches (Steve Christiansen or Ward Bushman) or possibly some poor trainee to clean up something that is truly disgusting! I can't think of a better and more fun way to express my distaste for the Impact Trainings, what do the rest of you think?

Date: May 02, 2009 01:29AM

So, my roommate who is in Impact had some friends over, a married couple in their 40's. He met them on his mission in one of the wards he was serving in. Well, they ended up moving to Colorado, and he signed them up for Impact.

A few weeks ago he had them over on a Sunday to hang out and catch up. I was on my laptop when they came in, so I said hi and was just hangin out. I decided that I was going to go to the girls building in my ward and see who was home. When I came back (from an unsuccessful venture), they asked me how things went and I said something to the effect of "Nope, no success...story of my life, right. (in a joking tone).

That is where all the "fun" started. She immediately wanted to know why I thought that was, and of course I engaged...WRONG THING TO DO. Conversations such as this are not uncommon in Provo, so I wasn't expecting the next stuff AT ALL. She went on to tell me that I had a fear of commitment. When I challenged that off the cuff assumption, she went on to ask me about the relationship of my parents, if I felt pain when they fought. She then told me that I have a problem with confrontation (hahahaha...for those of you who ever meet me...you will understand WHY that "assessment" is more than off), especially with women. She wanted me to sit down and "talk with her about it". I told her I would rather stand...I knew what she was trying to do.

Well, eventually I did sit down, but I was in defense mode now, more or less trying to discuss my way out of this one. She and her husband went on to tell me that i have a very "arrogant energy". That I need to let the "teddy bear" out, because that is probably keeping girls from having relationships from me..blah blah blah. Needless to say I was ticked by now....because again...I knew exactly what she was doing. She was profiling, trying to either find a need, or create one by attacking my self-esteem, and making me question either myself or my situation. Classic sales technique with an "NLP-esque" spin. Then of course is the "building trust" phase (which was actually only making more irritated) where they tried to diagnose and come across as "concerned, loving friends." Eventually they tried to commit me to Impact...I said no.

Anywho, we got off the topic of all that and at one point and her husband and I started talking about my mission. I served in the Seattle Temple after being sent home from the MTC, due to a chemical imbalance (Manic Depression). My mission was very unique and most people don't even know that my mission was even ever an an option.

We went on to talk about Manic Depression, because it is a very, very difficult thing to deal with and I love talking to people about it. Well, his wife was like "Have you ever asked for a blessing to be healed of it?" That question really, really irritated me. My struggle with manic depression has been an incredibly personal one, and i have actually become a lot stronger and more empathetic and Christ-like because of the experience with it that I have had.
(Something about struggling, and feeling emotional or physical pain that makes you feel more and not want to see others hurt...but that is another topic for another day.)

Anyway, they asked me if there was any Manic Depression in my family line. My mom's real dad exhibited a lot of the symptoms of one who has Manic, but she has never let us meet him, because my Grandmother left him before my mom was in high school....so bad dude. We are talking 10-page Excommunication letter with anything bad a human can do listed in it. IN short..a dangerous person. Well, they wanted to know WHY I didn't want to meet him, and why my mom would keep us from him. This scared me...because after hearing about what kind of things he did...I would never want to meet the man, and I don't blame my mother for not trusting someone who is capable of any kind of abuse, committed adultery probably on more than one occasion and was into some pretty dark stuff. I forgive him for doing what he did...but I never want to meet him.

As far as my roommate goes...he moved out at the end of Winter semester.

One other thing that I didn't even realize...is one day he had this fairly large Geode in our room on his dresser With some loose crystals in it. He and his little brother (pre-mission...turning in his papers soon) were fighting over it to some degree...and I couldn't understand why. After I read through this thread I realized.."DUDE MAY HAVE HAD A C-R-Y-S-T-A-L ALTER IN MY ROOM". Or something close to it....maybe not, maybe I am off on that.

oh and Ex....he is not in Lift-Off. He is in LMT (Formerly TIT). He doesn't really see much value in a bachelors degree (although he is still going to get it)...but instead wants to work for Impact as a career and help spread it throughout the world.

Posted by: spiritual? ()
Date: May 02, 2009 02:29AM

bubbleboy
oh and Ex....he is not in Lift-Off. He is in LMT (Formerly TIT). He doesn't really see much value in a bachelors degree (although he is still going to get it)...but instead wants to work for Impact as a career and help spread it throughout the world.

Oh, the classic "I'm going to work for Impact for the rest of my life." Does he mean as a staff member who doesn't get paid? Or is he going to try to become one of the "elite" that work behind the scenes and mock all of the trainees and rookie staff members behind their backs. Good luck with that, but be prepared to be stabbed in the back at some point once you're in. I've seen it happen many times.

Date: May 02, 2009 03:32AM

Yeah, he sounded more like "career" style work with them. Like helping start or heading up branches all over the world. At least that is what I took from the conversation. Either way, I don't know how I would be able to "reach" him. He is way into it already...and he has an ultra-strong "support" group both within his family and his impact "circle".

Posted by: Hopeful Soul ()
Date: May 02, 2009 10:40PM

bubbleboy,

You can do your roommate a big favor by disccouraging continued career pursuits with Impact. Impact has already tried the expansion of their trainings to areas out of the Salt Lake Valley, and it did not work. The reason it did not work is that this species of LGAT needs a critical mass of Mormons to operate on and there is nowhere else in the world quite like the Wasatch Front environment. The reason they need this LDS critical mass is that their trainings are taylored specifically to counter previously held trainings and beliefs of LDS folks. If you want empirical evidence of this as proof just try a little experiment using the prowerful computer tool so widely available today. Go the the Church Website LDS.org and click on Gospel Library and then on Search Gospel Library. Search on any of the multitude of Impact thought stopping words like "understand(ing), or right/wrong, or help," or especially "try." You must understand that Impact Trainings, from the first breath the leader utters, is designed to give new meaning to words by using the "language of non thought." They talk about liberating the inner child and breaking through the barriers that all of us throw up as a defense against life experiences. What have most of the new trainees been taught in their childhood? Some of the most clear examples of LDS doctrine are seen in the Hymn Book in song like "Choose the Right" #239 and a little number from the Childrens Song Book, "Jesus Once was a Little Child." I have included an excerpt from a Primary lesson manual that illustrates the play on the word "TRY." Impact says you should never use this word. They say it is weak and will make you fail. Of course this is in direct opposition to LDS doctrine, which uses the word "TRY" eight times in this one song.

CTR chart

Display the CTR chart and have the children repeat the words on it: “I will choose the right.” Remind them that they become more like Jesus Christ when they choose the right.

Summary
Song
With the children, sing or say the words to both verses of “Jesus Once Was a Little Child.” Explain any words the children are unfamiliar with. For example, vexed means upset. Jesus didn’t get upset when things didn’t go his way.

Jesus once was a little child,
A little child like me;
And he was pure and meek and mild,
As a little child should be.
So, little children,
Let’s you and I
Try to be like him,
Try, try, try.

He played as little children play
The pleasant games of youth;
But he never got vexed if the game went wrong,
And he always spoke the truth.
So, little children,
Let’s you and I
Try to be like him,
Try, try, try.

The experiment works equally well with the other "non thought language" words Impact uses in their brainwashing process.

Whatever your perspective on whether Impact Trainings are religion or philosophy or whatever, and whatever your belief or opposition to LDS doctrine, this will hopefully shed some understanding of the Impact/LDS doctrinal conflict.

Date: May 03, 2009 10:56AM

Not my roommate anymore, don't know where in Provo he lives. East of campus in a house somewhere.

My only contact I have is through Facebook, so that would be very difficult.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.