Current Page: 2 of 3
Landmark infiltrating into the medical community
Posted by: windofchanges ()
Date: April 17, 2006 01:32AM

The Gentle Wind Project (currently suing us and formerly suing others, including Rick Ross) claims that they have entered “mainstream," as well as "complementary medicine” with “healing instruments” that their leader, John “Tubby” Miller receives telepathically from the “spirit world.”

They have followers who believe this too, and some who even lend their professional degrees to quotes on the GWP website: [www.gentlewindproject.org] or give seminars (infomercials) promoting the GWP products (which are far from free if one wants to keep using them).

Other Miller followers who are health care providers purportedly promote these “healing instruments” to their own clients. In fact, the co-leaders, “Tubby” and “Moe” Miller (AKA Carreiro/Panuthos) were in practice as psychotherapists before and after they started listening to the “spirits,” and some of their former clients are long-time members of GWP.

Here’s what the Millers have to say about themselves on their GWP website:

[i:503991092a]“Our Healing Instruments are available for use free of charge through a global network of volunteer instrument keepers. While the instruments are not perfect, a very large number of people representing a wide variety of conditions and problems have found the instruments to be effective in alleviating mental and emotional distress. TGWP Healing Instruments (over 30,000) can be found in hospitals, clinics, cancer treatment facilities, Native American Reservations, nursing homes, hospice centers, prisons, schools, churches, colleges, universities, municipal agencies including police and fire stations (in service after 9/11 in NYC), disaster relief centers around the world and employed with The United Nations Relief Service Teams among others.”[/i:503991092a]

Just don't ask them for names or locations for these claims. And keep in mind that they also sue their critics.

Stay tuned for our trial in October or November 2006. :)

For more info: [www.windofchanges.org]

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: nutrino ()
Date: April 17, 2006 01:56AM

Just don't ask them for names or locations for these claims. And keep in mind that they also sue their critics.

Ahhhhhh.... and this morsel :

"If the purpose of the Millers' Federal/State lawsuit was/is to silence us and others, it was/is a misuse of the judicial system requiring large amounts of their donors' money to pay their lawyers. As Carl Starrett, Esq., moderator of the Gentle Wind Victims’ Forum stated, "GWP must have spent several hundred thousand dollars in legal fees [in their Federal Court lawsuit] and they came up empty."

In addition to the correct application of the Federal law for us, the defendants, Judge Carter's Federal Order is an extremely important decision for anyone who believes in an individual's right to speak freely about personal experiences, and to share information of public importance through the Internet without fear of being intimidated, sued, silenced, and harmed financially."............

One can only wonder about the effect this had on the other busy bees of nuisance litigation and their, ummmm, artful scribes.

Posted by: Acid Reindeer ()
Date: April 17, 2006 02:12AM

nutrino
Alas, american culture isn't always the best place to transplant these activities BECAUSE we have our own deeply held superstitions about "near instantaneous profound change"..... seen from the outside such beliefs may be as untenable as what we see as withcraft, although we may unquestioningly believe in our own witchcrafts as fervently as tribal cultures believe in theirs.

the model of "near instantaneous profound change" has existed for a long time even in American culture, it has just gotten framed in christian terms.

I also find it pretty ridiculous to state that "we" don't believe in something when clearly, if you do believe it, you provide the exception. why not say, [i:26075a9831]they[/i:26075a9831] don't believe that this can happen, however [i:26075a9831]we[/i:26075a9831] do?

Date: April 17, 2006 02:28AM

nutrino
(not a bunch of colorful Osho followers eating mushroooms in Thailand and giving each other STDs) the use of iboga, peyote, don pedro, salvia, ayhuasca and similar "entheogenic" materials could play a vital role in something like "traditional psychotherapy"....

recently I have, myself gotten very down on the use of psychedelics for recreational purposes. not just intellectually, as before, but in my gut.

briefly, I went through a spiritual and emotional crisis where I reviewed many incidents and looked at many of the choices that I made, amongst them my use of LSD without looking at the possible outcomes.

at worst, LSD can have serious consequences. three separate people of my acquaintance have had mental meltdowns as a result, one of them deciding to not leave the house for a year. another, who I spoke with yesterday, took his first hit about a year ago and still feels the mental effect of paranoia.

in my case I "just" ended up destroying two relationships. so taking psychedelics can have consequences. so I definitely would not advise taking it a party context.

so, yeah, if you take a psychedelics, don't do just to do it. if you want escapism, drink alcohol or see a diverting movie.

also, respect your elders and no leg showing above the knee.

Date: April 17, 2006 03:21AM

I also find it pretty ridiculous to state that "we" don't believe in something when clearly, if you do believe it, you provide the exception. why not say, [i:4b9a1bc090]they[/i:4b9a1bc090] don't believe that this can happen, however [i:4b9a1bc090]we[/i:4b9a1bc090] do?

That isn't what I said. I said we MAY... that's the [i:4b9a1bc090]subjunctive[/i:4b9a1bc090] voice of the verb [i:4b9a1bc090] to be [/i:4b9a1bc090].... the subjunctive form is used to distinguish possibility from certainty... so, grammatically speaking, it means that this isn't stated as a concrete factuality, but rather a potentially applicable statement.... interestingly, "concrete thinkers" such as borderline schizophrenics often are, do not seem to be able to form this linguistic distinction, where "mercurial thinkers" like William Jefferson Clinton appear to manifest the opposite condition.... e.g. "what is [i:4b9a1bc090]is[/i:4b9a1bc090]"?

I have kind of have come to see abstraction-concretion issues as a heritable condition in some cases... the part of the brain that defines hard reality, actual things, specific stuff has a hard time distinguishing it's operations from the parts(s) of the brain that deal with "meaning clouds" of abstractions, unclear things, working under conditions of imperfect knowledge....

At the core of this I also suspect that there is some method the brain uses to compress or pack complex information so the brain is not overwhelmed with minutiae, so a general statement is made without too much fine parsing as a temporary working model rather than a finished scale model with every detail absolutely represented....

If you want to tackle it from an information theory standpoint, how many dB. of signal to noise do you gain by drilling down into a we-they-someone attributional parse ?

Posted by: Hope ()
Date: April 17, 2006 03:28AM

Posted: 04-16-2006 09:13 AM Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

also, Hope, you repeated a statement third-hand (from Rick Doblin to his assistant to your friend) as if factual.

Nope - I was present, it was from Rick Doblin, to his assistant, to her to me, and we could hear him in the background. It was enough (after seeing the MTV or VH1 show on MAPS) to steer clear of the org.

Date: April 17, 2006 04:41AM

okay, yes, I distorted your meaning. speaking of people with extreme concrete thinking styles, that sounds like my mother. she had trouble differianting between possibly and probably and between probably and definitely. she would go from one state to the next to the next within the space of a sentence.

nutrino
At the core of this I also suspect that there is some method the brain uses to compress or pack complex information so the brain is not overwhelmed with minutiae, so a general statement is made without too much fine parsing as a temporary working model rather than a finished scale model with every detail absolutely represented....

whereas while having a psychedelic experience the mind does get "overwhelmed with minutiae" and I found simple mantric rhymes, visual cues (like wordless signs) and basic lessons from childhood very useful, as if having regressed in some ways to the age of six. a super-genius six year old but still a six year old. unaccustomed to filtering signals.

yes, anyway, I think that this explains why, when my blood sugar gets low, I cannot tolerate complexity or ambiguity. my brain simply doesn't what to expend the energy to process anything but simple data.

If you want to tackle it from an information theory standpoint, how many dB. of signal to noise do you gain by drilling down into a we-they-someone attributional parse ?

depends on the context. someone tends to contain less information except when used as a broad hint (stage whispered: "[i:c8406184bd]someone[/i:c8406184bd]"), though.

Date: April 17, 2006 04:54AM

nutrino
where "mercurial thinkers" like William Jefferson Clinton appear to manifest the opposite condition.... e.g. "what is [i:5a7ef0e6b3]is[/i:5a7ef0e6b3]"?

basically, the way everyone talks on NPR.

Posted by: sonnie_dee ()
Date: April 17, 2006 05:15AM

Midonov, this is not the first time I have heard of landmark being taken by and encouraged by the medical community. Here in New Zealand, alot of staff in crown health have been paid to do the landmark forum, crown health is the primary health organisation of new zealand.

here is a link to the article that was written about it. I remember at the time this article came out, Landmark took a big slam and was on a popular radio talk back show as well.

[www.culteducation.com]

Date: April 17, 2006 09:14AM

whereas while having a psychedelic experience the mind does get "overwhelmed with minutiae" and I found simple mantric rhymes, visual cues (like wordless signs) and basic lessons from childhood very useful, as if having regressed in some ways to the age of six. a super-genius six year old but still a six year old. unaccustomed to filtering signals.

yes, anyway, I think that this explains why, when my blood sugar gets low, I cannot tolerate complexity or ambiguity. my brain simply doesn't what to expend the energy to process anything but simple data.

Which is very close to what happens to mental processes when put into the typical LGAT environment.... and which is what the "architects" of the LGATs have designed into the system... and thus no wonder that persons with existing, although perhaps latent, issues may well have severe responses to LGAT "adventures in consciousness".

Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.