Re: The Wright Institute for Lifelong Learning?
Posted by: itsashame ()
Date: May 29, 2009 05:49AM

elena
Remember, these cults/groups are adept at worming their way in to whatever is most important to you and whatever frightens you the most. Once they know this, and participants offer this information up quite easily, they can twist and twist you psychologically until you are all tied up in knots. Which is exactly what they want. At that point you are theirs to manipulate. You become dependent on them to help you navigate this new upside-down world. They have no business using sophisticated psychological techniques on an unsuspecting public but that's how they get paid. Identifying these "anchor points" is important to finding your way out of the maze.

Ellen

I think this post from another thread is the best short summation of these groups I have seen & I think it applies very well to WI.

Now, i think i need to work on getting my "Soft Addiction" to this topic under control :)

Posted by: wtt ()
Date: May 30, 2009 01:40AM

Citygirl, what's going on? A couple of posts ago you were concerned for the welfare of your dear daughter. Now I'm seeing some strange - and blatantly untrue - defenses of the WI going on:

1) You stated that the guy that committed suicide was not a member of the Wright Institute. This is incorrect. He was absolutely a member of the Wright Institute for a number of years. If your daughter is being fed incorrect info on this, then the WI has no integrity.

2) I just saw postings from you on another board recommending Judith's book, "One Decision." I will not post the link because it appears to have your real name.

3) When other posters called you out on recommending Judith's book due to her cult ties, you replied:

"I'm not denying that, although that part of the program has been stopped (thank G__). She runs her program for mainly business out of Chicago, the above is run out of Wisconsin at a different location by a different person, and as I said has been stopped. Those awful posts were from 2004. My reference was to her book(s) which can be found at amazon. I can't give her link because it is an email (not allowed here). I tried. I"m glad you answered I wanted to clear that up...she never had any part of that."

Of course people again pointed out that this is simply not true. Of course she was and is still involved. So what's going on? Are you on a PR campaign for the WI? Pretending the bad parts aren't true?

Posted by: citygirl ()
Date: May 30, 2009 05:34AM

I will happily explain, the thread on my other forum was about books, I read "The one Decision" a year ago, and posted 3 books I had read. This happend before I had any clue as to the alligations of Wright being a cult. I found that out later, and became distresed when reading this forum. I went to see my daughter, called my Rabbi, and was 50% sure all was o.k. with my daughter. Perhaps, when working there as staff, things are not what they seem on the older threads dated 2004 to 2007. I was assured that stuff by Bob Wright has been stopped, and they are taking a different road. I needed to believe this, and until proven otherwise, I must. My daughter will talk to me if she is in harm's way. I need to be open and have her trust me. I am not recommending their school, or feel it is for most. I have not done a complete turnaround, bu t, do feel since they stopped that Basic Mens program, things are movcng in a better direction. They are getting accredited and do show positive signs of learning from their past mistakes. I still have my concerns. I hope that clears my view up, my heart goes out to all of you that have suffered.

Posted by: Christa ()
Date: May 30, 2009 07:11PM

citygirl's PMs to me after her visit to her daughter contained enthusiastic endorsements of Wright, and stern reproaches about how wrong we all are about Wright's cult status.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/30/2009 07:15PM by Christa.

Date: May 30, 2009 07:25PM

citygirl
I hope that clears my view up, my heart goes out to all of you that have suffered.

Save your heart for yourself. You're going to need it.

Date: May 30, 2009 11:24PM

Christa,

I said to you, my daughter was happy and fine...shouldn't I be o.k. after witnessing that for 3 days. My concern is for my daughter, please take that seriously, and have an open mind. My daughter's private life (away from the school) is thriving and healthy, the school is her job, and I left in a much better state than I went......be glad for me. I thought you would be glad to share that with me, I was wrong, so, I'll keep my feelings to myself. Seems your only happy when you can bash, just forget about it, and move on. Your not involved anymore. Keep my name out of this now, I see your not open minded to change.

Date: May 31, 2009 06:34AM

Here is the entire, unexpurgated text of the email I received from citygirl after her visit to her daughter.

Judge for yourselves.

Re: I need help
To:
Christa
Date: 05/14/2009 09:40PM

Christa,

i just read the link you gave me on cults through "you tube". I found this very offending [sic]. Wright is simply not anywhere on this level. I just got back from my visit with my daughter. She has never been happier, or seeming more independent. She met a guy and is dating (outside of work). They never tell her not to see me, nor take money from her or her family. I really think Wright should not be put into the level as I have seen of cults on this forum. I do think you have made a big mistake. I know her well, and her growth is impressive...this is not for all, especially the vulnerable and lost, but good for some. I know she personally helps many quit smoking, being [sic] given [sic] support for personal growth and many more things. I'm not convinced this is a cult, just a different way of wanting to expand your growth. Judith is a famous motivational speaker and very charismatic, and has many huge business's [sic] she works with and speaks for. She will be speaking on Dr. Memet Oz radio show (he is on Oprah's show), and I trust him for being [sic] one of the top Dr's [sic] in the world.

I read they put Chabad under cults, this is an orthodix [sic]Jewish religion, which is not a cult. I have know many through the years that particapate [sic] over holidays and they fill a need. For now, I'm backing away from this forum, think it has been hurtful for me and my relationship towards [sic] my daughter. I saw what I need, and wonder why so many people bad mouth them, when they have not taken course's [sic], or really investigated this school. The coach's [sic] all have degree's [sic], and they hire the brightest staff.

My evaluation is that it's not for everybody..

Citygirl

Posted by: wtt ()
Date: June 08, 2009 11:53AM

Citygirl,

In order to help your daughter, you need to get honest with yourself. I've already pointed out the many lies you've been telling others - whether because you're a blind believer of the WI, or burying your head in the sand, neither is appropriate. You've just added yet another:

4) Replying to me that your recommendations of Judith's book on the other message board was a year ago, before you knew of any of the allegations. Again, this is not true - you posted them in April 2009.

You've been "assured" that they've stopped the bad behavior? Now you're just lying to yourself. The whole point of this entire board is that these things generally seem great at first, but as time goes on it's detrimental to mind and wallet.

As for telling Christa to keep an open mind.... this is Wright's signature move to try to badger people into trying out their program. It goes like this: If you won't try it, well you're closed minded. If you try it and are not impressed, well you didn't put you're all into it. If you tried it and thought it was okay, but don't want to spend thousands going forward, well you are just fooling yourself. Sounds like Wright is a little closed-minded in thinking their program must be shoved on everyone!!

And that is the huge irony - they (most WI members) are close-minded. They only do what Wright tells them to. The longer they're involved, the more their whole life revolves around this one closed-minded way of thinking.

To everyone else - a big thanks for all of your wisdom, it really helped me cut short what would have otherwise been a bizarre relationship with that guy I mentioned I was dating.

Basically he is a very nice guy who has gotten sucked into the WI pretty deeply. When we'd have "unplanned" conversations (meaning, his WI advisors didn't prep him beforehand), he was a sweet guy with integrity. However, there were times when he clearly had had WI prep, and he would attempt to use Wright techniques to manipulate me into doing what he wanted (usually some WI activity). It was usually some form of goading/emotional blackmail which was painful because it was so obviously not his own language. I always responded in the opposite direction of what he was anticipating, and it clearly threw him. During his last manipulation attempt , I just was through with it, and ended it. He seemed shocked. And then I felt kind of badly because I thought that he'll never know that these techniques are stupid. Bob Wright will tell him that he did them wrong, or that he's well rid of me or some such gibberish.

Date: June 09, 2009 08:56AM

Witt, I said I read the book a year ago, but yes posted it recently as a book I read, that's all. Why is this such an enormous deal to you, it is a best selling book, no harm there.

Posted by: shimmer ()
Date: June 13, 2009 03:14AM

The men's basic is still happening. My family member is still involved. Unfortunately but not as involved as before. However they still have their hooks in him and probably will reel him back somehow. Because of citygirls' comments I am sure they are still up to the same old stuff. Maybe just a new machination. I want to state that citygirl did say some things that I hope haven't or won't hurt anyone who come on this board. In an earlier post, which I'm not going to look up, she said something to the effect that people aren't strong enough for the kind of therapeutic techniques that wi does. Just to clarify - these techniques are designed to reduce people to mush and if you get over it, you are considered successful if you don't, I guess you're just not "getting it". That is utter BS! Please don't be fooled by this nonsense. Therapy is not supposed to hurt in this way and shame should never, NEVER, (got that citygirl?!!!!) play a part in the process. At least not shame foisted upon you by a group or guru. If you're daughter thinks shame is therapeutic then she went to the wrong college. This issue is something that really bothers me because it affects people who are vulnerable, not weak, or weak willed but vulnerable. Don't bother responding citygirl. I know where you come from and I don't agree with you. When you want help come back until then leave the boards for those who are seeking truth and not more abuse or confusion.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.