Re: The Wright Institute for Lifelong Learning?
Posted by: novawash ()
Date: September 14, 2008 08:50AM

These cultish, brainwashing, mind manipulations groups that rape people mentally should be immediately investigated by the FBI. Can't believe they are still allowed to operate as long as they can even now.

Posted by: scaredofcults ()
Date: September 15, 2008 08:28AM

What's potentially very curious and outrageous is the possibility the WI could become accredited. I have a friend and also know a couple knee-deep in the WI. Friend is unable to have normal conversations about anything other than workshops or her labs, and it's becoming increasingly difficult to maintain a relationship with her because we have nothing to connect on anymore. I've heard about the workshops where they humiliate one another — by no means is this healthy nor anything the APA/AMA would adhere to. I guess these types of workshops are to prepare you for encountering insults from people...

Friend constantly wants to talk other friends into joining, and if they don't she's insulted. I've met several of her WI friends and they all have this look in their eye, and they just don't seem to have operate in ways I consider socially acceptable, such as apologies for being late, politeness, greeting people, etc. Isn't their philosophy "no shame, no blame?" Which to me, translates to "behaving badly, because I can!" Friend crosses boundaries whenever she can. She can make others very uncomfortable. She pushes. She confronts. She speaks out of turn.

I just worry that these followers rarely get out of this cycle.

Posted by: almosttricked2 ()
Date: January 15, 2009 10:45AM

All right, I am almost embarrassed to say that I almost got caught in this! Someone turned me on to this thread and not a moment too soon. I attended one of these weekends, and was almost pulled into this by their shameless recuiting tactics and their act of tearful concern on the last day of this weekend. Most of the day Sunday was spent on recruiting and almost harassing, having people scream at each other how worthless they are, how bad they are and how they don't deserve to be alive!! How's that for positive? There was one young girl who looked like she was trapped in a nightmare! I consider myself well-adjusted and normal, but was a little intimidated with all this. They got me on being at a low and I was close to being sucked into this mania!
I do have a few questions to the group. Why is it that there are so little negative reviews posted about this group? I would have thought that since their recruiting are mostly done in Professional surroundings that more 'normal' people would have seen through them?
Also, I do believe that they are now offering some sort of degree program, for Leadership and companies offering Tuition Assistance get sucked into this. Is there anything that can be done to prevent this or at least have them investigated? I do have email turned on, please email me.

Posted by: itsashame ()
Date: January 16, 2009 12:27AM

timely post, glad to see this thread back to the top

maybe you could share your experience on this board:

how were you recruited into attending the weekend?

would you describe more of the presentation?

what commitment($) were they looking for from you?

maybe your info will serve as warning to the unaware

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/16/2009 12:27AM by itsashame.

Posted by: wtt ()
Date: March 14, 2009 08:03AM

Hi, I recently started dating someone who is extremely involved in the WI. He's vague about it when I ask him direct questions, but it's clear he has been involved for a long time, and believes it made him who he is.

While he's a nice guy, there are some strange things...for one, I often get a feeling that he's following a script with me.

Another strange thing is what he does with his spare time. (To clarify: we're just casually dating, so we aren't intimately involved and can see other people). He books me weeks in advance for Saturday nights, but if I'm busy for that Saturday he is disappointed that he won't be able to see me until the following Saturday (um...what's wrong with a Wednesday?!). It's bizarre - we have these great, well-planned (by him) dates and then he makes sure to book me for the following week and then I don't hear from him or see him all week. He'll ask me what I did during the week but is closed-mouthed on what he did.

So to those of you with WI experience,

- what "guidance" are singles being given?
- does the WI require a lot of time commitment?
- why is he so hush-hush about his involvement? I would have thought he'd be trying praising it and recruiting me.

Thanks in advance, just trying to figure out if this is relationship is worth pursuing.

Posted by: shimmer ()
Date: March 15, 2009 02:12AM

I don't have direct experience with WI but a close family memeber was involved. My experience was that they were speaking from some kind of script. They seem to have their own language and if you don't understand then you just aren't enlightened or don't want to be. Until my family member left I could hardly have a rational conversation with them because everything was some kind of wrightspeak. Glad they got out.

I have no idea what they tell singles but I assume that he might be waiting to be more involved with you and then he would want you to go on a couples retreat or some other form of WI program. Regardless if WI is what is influencing his behavior or something else. My gut feeling is that when you feel someone is hiding something that they usually are. If a guy likes you he is open and usually wants to see you more than just on one night a week. He also sounds controlling.

It seems hard to get much real feedback on WI but go with your gut. I wish you well.

Posted by: wtt ()
Date: March 16, 2009 08:13AM

Thanks Shimmer, I appreciate the advice. We just had another date last night and there's just something off...I'm moving on.

Posted by: almosttricked2 ()
Date: March 19, 2009 09:35PM

Hi, sorry it took me a while to respond. Been terribly busy at work. Responses to the thread quoted below.

A collegue told me about it. This collegue was pretty vague, when asked about some leadership training, I was referred to the book by Judith and the website, which was all about recruiting. I even got a free pass to go to the 'very expensive training' when ordering the book 'the One Decision, but was sent the latest book, something about 'Soft Addictions' instead.

Started Friday evening after work. When you register they give this pouch with traffic light colors and you have to pick a phrase which describes, I guess, what you are looking to achieve. Guess it is a way to find something for them to convince you you are sick on some level and only they can save you! Then it goes on almost till midnight. After a long day at work, this is really tiring and is probably meant to break down any resolve ... you also get an exercise to do afterwards and before the next morning's class, something that you would never have done before. Some people called others, some went to the hotel bar and approached strangers - I did not do it, as I drove home and was dead tired.

Saturday we had to be there early. The night before they asked for phone numbers of everyone, which I later figured, was to call you every few minutes if you are not back in class that morning. A few of them did not show for the next day, and one girl left during the morning anyway, guess they started to see through it earlier than me, I am sad to say. Anyway, the whole morning was lectures based on chapters of that 'One Decision' book, with some video clips and some exercises within your teams. Bob and Judith shared some of their personal anecdotes and stories etc. Then for lunch we went off to some restaurant for some Italian sandwiches and more inquisition. One lady got up and walked away because of some comment one of the help made, she never returned (lucky!).

The afternoon was more of the same and again you get an exercise to do for the next day. Supposedly the help or volunteers stayed up all night, discussing all the people and coming up with ideas how each person acted and responded, stayed involved or not and can be helped by them. So Sunday came around, and the whole day was literally a recruitment exercise. Some of the exercises were hurtful, people shouting at each other how bad they are and how stupid they are, one of the girls did not have much confidence to begin with and she had this deer in the headlights look on her face after this ... I felt like leaving at this time more than ever before ...

Need to go now, shall write more shortly.

itsashame

what commitment($) were they looking for from you?

Posted by: citygirl ()
Date: April 21, 2009 07:45AM

My daughter works for them as a coach. I never knew abot them being a cult. My daughter is well educated, having a Masters, and is a Physcotheripist. She cannot do this work any longer there. I am so scared for her, and will be visiting in May. I told her what I read on this site, and we both cried. She is talking to me. The problem we live in different states. She was naive and out of college when she first started. How do I handle my visit with her, be direct, or what. This has been a nightmare...please give advice.

Concerned Mother

Posted by: citygirl ()
Date: April 21, 2009 01:02PM

My daughter told me about this P.H.D. program. Wouldn't it have to be accredited? I think if you work for free, you can earn a degree....how do they get away with it.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.