Current Page: 6 of 18
Re: The Wright Institute for Lifelong Learning?
Posted by: emily6 ()
Date: March 26, 2008 12:12PM

Wow.. glad I found this thread.
I know the Chicago media business that uses the Wright principals through a friend of someone they work with. I met the couple that runs the company.. thought they were "intense" people. Didn't know about the Wright thing until I checked out the woman's personal website.. in her bio she mentions Wright, how the philosphy shaped their business, etc.

The thing that got me- the thing that raised a red flag, that said "potential cult" to me- was a line in her bio about "empowering women to empower their men". That sounded like some fundie xtian bs right there. I would never take these people for xtians. So I started googling around for info on these Wright people. She also mentioned at one point in her bio that she had a chance to move to LA, for what seemed like a good job opportunity. But instead she stayed here to help her husband build up his business. This Wright business sounds like some anti-feminist, Ayn Rand type of thing. Just disgusting.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: arizonerak ()
Date: June 13, 2008 04:34AM

I know an individual (don't want to say my relation to this individual) who has spent over $12,000 in the past year doing the Year of More and going on the pilgrimage. Said individual is living with their girlfriend/boyfriend of 1 year whom has been involved with WI for 6 years and works for the media group, Fig, that has been mentioned in these blogs. This individual constantly refers back to and quotes things learned from the WI as well as tries to provide casual therapy to myself and others as to why we are the way we are. This "therapy" is not solicited by friends and family. In addition this individual has several copies of "The One Decision" and "The Soft Addiction Solution" that they purchased in order to hand out to others when they show an interest in WI.

I read "The Soft Addiction Solution" and am just finishing up "The One Decision". In an interview with Judith Wright she states that yes, it is possible to swap one soft addiciton for another. After reading the books and watching several different interviews with Judith Wright I asked the individual if they thought it was possible that they had a soft addiction to the WI and all of their seminars and trainings. All hell broke lose. I was basically told that I had just built a wall between that individual and myself and that they no longer could share anything with me. They could not believe that I would take this information and turn it around and twist it back on them. The individual said "even if this is a soft addicition I would rather have this one, that is helping to improve myself, than another one." Huh, does that even make sense? One soft addiction is worse than the other. I don't think so. All addictions impact our lives in the same way, negatively. That is why they are termed "addiction". This individuals response was so scripted it leads me to believe they get training on how to respond to someone if this type of question or confrontation comes up. Way over the top and overly defensive response for a question that was so benign.

Until this point I had some concerns that this organization was not on the up and up by taking money and not truly providing a service worthy of these types of fees. Once I got this reaction from the individual I knew that it was much worse than I had anticipated. The response was so typical of a "cult" like organization.

I have been in tears for days since this conversation occurred. It feels like this person has just died. I have no idea what I can do other than just let it play out and pray that the truth becomes clear to this individual.

Any thoughts and suggestions are so welcome.

Posted by: timetogo ()
Date: June 17, 2008 01:48AM

My suggestion is to just be there for that person. As someone who has been there, I know its hard to sit back and watch, but there isn't much else you can do. I have a very good idea about whom you are talking about and that person is deeply involed. Its been my experience that people whoare at that level don't leave Wright. The connection with Fig is also very strong. Just know that there are others like you out there who are available to you.

Posted by: arizonerak ()
Date: June 17, 2008 03:35AM

timetogo,

Thanks for the reply.

Since asking this individual if it might be possible that they have a soft addiction to WI I have not heard from them. I am guessing that I probably will never hear from them again unless something major happens to make them realize and understand the situation they are in.

Having been involved with WI would you say this is an accurate assumption on my part?

Do I just sit back and watch or should I contact and discuss the situation with the rest of the family. I think that at least two other family members are clueing in but I am not positive.

Again thanks for your input,

arizonerak

Posted by: timetogo ()
Date: June 17, 2008 05:23AM

Arizonerak-

I think you have 2 choices. You can just avoid talking to this person about WI, or not talk to this person at all. If its who I think it is, she's not in any danger, but from what I know was in the perfect situation to be open to WI. I think you could mention it to the family in a casual way, and see what happens.

Posted by: itsashame ()
Date: July 02, 2008 10:09PM

These Wrights are terrible manipulators of their subjects' time, money and energy. I too know an otherwise very nice person who is deeply involved with this nonsense. The question above about "soft addiction" to seminars, etc. is right on. Wrights have an answer for every problem or challenge (weight loss, fix your credit, singles group, on and on.) It begs the question who can fall for this-but some do.

To Arizonerak: I think you will unfortunately find out Wright has a great scam. They obviously send their zealots after their closest friends, family, etc. If you refuse to participate or support, you are painted unsupportive and unreasonable. I cannot remember the exact jargon. Discussing with family seems to make sense, although in my experience that hasn't worked either.

These people are clearly despicable!

Posted by: shimmer ()
Date: August 24, 2008 01:45AM

I am totally new to posting to any form of blog so I hope I get it right.

Last night I read everything I could about the wright people because I have a family member that is involved with them. Over the last few years the personality of this individual and their treatment of certain family members has changed. Conversations that were easy have become very difficult and convoluded using the wright speak terminology that honestly negates anyone who isn't a member. I am very concerned about this person and I am wondering if there is anything I can do. I really am not anyone of importance in this family member's life although we are siblings and have had a good relationship at times during our lives. As I said, the last 2 years this person has been shutting me and others out, sort of like we were blatantly scratched off the list of people to even regard as another human being. It is very painful. My recent encounter with this family member prompted me to look into the wrights and it all fits. The words and behaviors of this person now make total sense to me and instead of anger I feel compassion and concern for this person.

I also noticed that there are not many posts in 2008 is there a reason for that? Have they changed their tactics or has discussion taken place out of such a public forum. I am honestly grateful for these forums because I would not have discovered this and been able to make sense of a very painful and troubling situation.

I hope all those out there that are suffering from the damage of this group and others are able to find their way and recover.

Date: September 03, 2008 09:19PM

Yep, intentionally confrontational, inability to have an open-minded discussion, & critical thinking suspended. Sounds familiar.

what does the rest of the family think about your sib's behavior and/or wrights? has your sib been able to enroll any of them?

would really be funny if not someone you cared about? unbelievable & ridiculous right?

Posted by: shimmer ()
Date: September 07, 2008 10:41PM

We attended one of the graduation ceremonies and at the end we were descended upon to sign up. We honestly, couldn't have gotten out of there fast enough. No one else in our family is involved in this group. The graduation ceremony they had was so weird because the words they use are english language but it's like they change the meaning of words so only they really know what they are saying. Part of the evening consisted of each participant stating their vision for their special family/friends. My family member couldn't have seemed more out of touch with all of us. It was bizarre. Now that this person has their vision for us, if we don't follow that, we are somehow lost. My vision for this person is they get the hell out of this group and find a reputable therapist that can help them overcome this crap and work on life problems in an authentic way.

FYI - my family member mentioned that a person in their group committed suicide rencently. Apparently everything was "great", this just happened "out of the blue". I DON'T THINK SO. Fake therapists playing therapy is a slippery slope. I wonder how they rationalize this. Did this person just not journal enough, or wasn't honest enough or whatthefuckever. No the problem is that these people evoke trauma and exploit it in them. Some people have major trauma, some don't so they might not see any of these exercises as abusive. These people are playing russian roulet with people's lives and psyches and don't give a crap. It's all about the money and apparently they make a ton of it.

It would be funny if it wasn't someone I care about.

Date: September 08, 2008 08:02AM

Shim-
Wow "graduation ceremony" sounds like something from landmark. Bet that was a real treat-especially hearing the "vision" for your life. I gather your own vision for yourself wasn't sharing several thousands of your dollars a year with WI, endless seminars(labs or "whatthefuckever") and making a general pain in the neck of yourself. And, you probably don't have a vision of yourself subsidizing a Bob and Judy trip.

Your concerns regarding "fake therapy," make sense to me. I have always worried about the worst case scenario coming from their head games.

While it may be unlikely to convince a WI member to leave the group, hopefully this board will keep others from: giving their hard-earned dollars to WI, alienating their family and friends, or WORSE.

Current Page: 6 of 18

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.