Pages: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
What the "Bleep" do we know, How is it related to
Posted by: Montreal ()
Date: November 14, 2004 12:05AM

I have not seen this documentary/movie, but have seen it come up in postings, where they have recommended Landmark graduates to go see it.

How is this documentary/movie related to Landmark Education and/or LGAT groups in general?

[www.whatthebleep.com]

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Cosmophilospher ()
Date: November 14, 2004 12:32AM

That movie is a HOAX DOC created by followers of Ramtha.

[board.culteducation.com]

Posted by: corboy ()
Date: November 14, 2004 01:06AM

[culteducation.com]

and

[culteducation.com]

(This second item is especially interesting--one of the physicists who was interviewed states that he spent 4 or 5 hours teaching quantum physics to the producers of What the Bleep only to have them mis--represent what he told them.)

[i:5028676489]What the Bleep [/i:5028676489]was produced by people involved with the Ramtha School of Enlightenment. Here are links with info about this group if you're excited about this film or someone you care about is all fired up about it.

[www.factnet.org]

[culteducation.com]

What the film apparently does is use some tintillating 'sexy' topics derived from science which are fashionable but extremely complicated. The film uses scraps of material derived from science to support assertions that cannot be supported at this time by science.

Science is like baseball. You have to play by a set of rules otherwise it stops being science and becomes a wish fulfillment exercise.

One of the rules in science is, whenever possible you test using double blind research designs--where neither subject nor researcher know what protocols are being used. That way the researchers own biases and ambitions will not affect how the experiment is conducted.

Someone speculated that the greatest scientific breakthrough of the 20th Century was the double blind research design.

We can make a comarison between science and a sport like baseball. Liek science, we must play by the rules of baseball or the encounter isnt a baseball game. You can have uniforms, be in a famous stadium, with bats and balls and a Hall of Fame team, but unless played by the rules, it will not be a true baseball game, just a an impersonation.

To someone unfamiliar with the game, it will [i:5028676489]look [/i:5028676489]like a baseball game, and they'll be taken in. But the people who know the rules of baseball would soon see that its not a genuine baseball game--that appearance is not reality. They'd probably demand their money back and start a riot, God bless 'em.

[i:5028676489]What the Bleep [/i:5028676489]wears the costume of science but doesnt go by the rules of science--while surfing on the trust and respect this culture has given to science. We trust science and scientists because they're known to follow rules and produce information that reliable.

When the rules of science are violated, either by scientists themselves or by anyone in the media who mis-represents scientific findings, this does a disservice to science, and to the general public.

The sense of wonder produced by the film may come at the cost of undermining adult, critical thinking. Your sense of wonder and delight becomes subtly linked to the notion that there is no single, objective reality--no single truth. Its the release that comes from allowing oneself to become pleasantly intoxicated, where normal cognitive boundaries are loosened up.

As long as we enjoy this sense of wonder temporarily, in the movie theatre, and then allow the buzz to subside and resume our recollection of adult ethics and scientific reasoning, thats OK, though its worth keeping in mind that one of the physicists who was interviewed in the film has gone on record saying his information was mis-represented.

Possible Scenario?

The hazard comes if someone should ever use [i:5028676489]What the Bleep's [/i:5028676489] pleasant, fuzzy vacation from critical thinking as part of a process to loosen people up and then sell them a larger agenda that isnt good for them--and especially if they loosen people up without giving any indication that they have an agenda up their sleeves that will be slipped into the mix when normal vigilence is disabled after watching [i:5028676489]What the Bleep?[/i:5028676489]

What the Bleep uses elements from science to tintillate us into a feeling of wonder, while at the same time rejecting the rules that govern science and the alert, disciplined state of mind one needs to [i:5028676489]function as [/i:5028676489]a scientist. The wonder may feel so delicious that many people will cling to it, and resent it if any attempt is made to warn them that the film engenders wonder at the cost of mis-representing science.

A film like Mel Gibsons [i:5028676489]'The Passion of the Christ' [/i:5028676489]could readily be used to instill emotional exhaustion and guilt, which could then be used by a coercive group or church as part of an indoctrination process.

A film like [i:5028676489]What the Bleep [/i:5028676489]which instills wonder and uses seemingly scientific information to undermine the rules which govern genuine scientific research, and instead suggests that truth is subjective--could someday used to support a different but no less effective indoctrination process.

Posted by: Concerned Oz ()
Date: November 14, 2004 07:39AM

Montreal,

The link between "What the beep..." and Landmark is centred around critical thinking vs Magical thinking.

Landmark people believe that anything and everything is possible. Their "wonder" at all things possible hooks them into a subjective presentation such as this movie. Landmark people think "what is truth anyway" so subjective science hooks them in without a personal need to ask the question why is this so?. They are satisfied with thinking, "what is, is and what isn't, isn't".

This type of subjective science, (not this movie), has been fostered by the Esalen Institute where some theorists of our time have generated many theories around quantum physics. There is a mystical almost magical element to these theories that appeals to people whose critical thinking processes have been shut down by LGATs.

I know of an Landmarkian who is now doing leadership training, IFL, who raves about this movie.

Deep down, I feel that the Landmarkians who rave about this movie are searching for meaning.

[b:ccda85dd01]Here is a related thread:
Ramtha Watch[/b:ccda85dd01]
[board.culteducation.com]

Oz

Posted by: Toni ()
Date: February 02, 2006 12:19AM

Hagelin was featured in "What the Bleep"
The following email circulating to TM Center leaders for recruitment efforts.
Using the 'technolgies' to 'increase your intelligence and creativity', to 'manifest your own reality'... blah blah....

January 30, 2006
Home

Donations
Development
Office

Maharishi
University of
Management
Fairfield, IA
641-472-1180

Email Us
Good News! Archive
Historic Weekend at Maharishi University of Management
Renowned filmmaker David Lynch and quantum physicist John Hagelin, Ph.D. will host an extraordinary weekend, March 24-26, on “Consciousness, Creativity, and the Brain” at Maharishi University of Management in Fairfield, Iowa.

For full details of this exciting weekend, please see lynchweekend.org
This weekend was inspired by the enormous success of their recent tour of 13 universities on the East and West Coasts, with a combined attendance of more than 15,000 students.

Here is an excerpt from the Los Angeles Times article covering the tour appearance at the University of California, Irvine:
“Students are more than simply interested in rubbing shoulders with a famous movie director,” says Manuel Gomez, the UC Irvine vice chancellor who invited Lynch to campus. “There has recently been a growing thirst among many young people for a deeper connection to their lives and to the world around them.”

We encourage you to attend this remarkable weekend and be sure to forward this invitation to any high school and college-age students who would be interested in learning about Consciousness-BasedSM education. Mr. Lynch and Dr. Hagelin will be actively involved for the entire weekend to conduct workshops and personally meet all the participants. It is expected that this weekend will be the biggest public event in the University’s history. Space is limited, so advance registration is required.

®Consciousness-Based and Maharishi University of Management are registered or common law trademarks licensed to Maharishi Vedic Education Development Corporation and used under sublicense or with permission.

Posted by: midonov123 ()
Date: February 02, 2006 12:48AM

Montreal
I have not seen this documentary/movie, but have seen it come up in postings, where they have recommended Landmark graduates to go see it.

How is this documentary/movie related to Landmark Education and/or LGAT groups in general?

[www.whatthebleep.com]

Montreal,

I gave a few hints about the movie in a previous post. I am reproducing it below fyi.

One of the changes of paradigm for New Agers is the passage from Newtonian physics to Quantum Mechanics. Many New Agers will refer to Quantum Mechanics to justify/explain the "creation of reality". This is the theme of the New Age movie "What the Bleep do we Know!!?" that is now available at your local movie rental store. The movie is said to be "a movie where reality is created by every thought".

Many participants at Landmark refer to that movie to support their new philosophy that "you create your own reality". The movie is said to be the biggest New Age event ever!

What the movie tells us is that reality is of quantum nature, thus made of infinite "possibilities". This is "the world of possibilities" Landmark refers to. Sound familiar, uh?

Now, inside our brain, the multiple possibilities overlap in a quantum way (this is "quantum brain theory" as put forward by Hameroff, Penrose and others) and our "Consciousness" collapses the many possibilities into "One" reality. This is the Quantum Wave Collapse from the quantum theory. Reality has just been created by this act of consciousness, and this is one’s “own reality”! This is the pseudo-scientific support to the philosophy that one creates its own reality. Some call it "Quantum Quackery!" (see Sci Am, Janv 2005). For many physicists (including me), it is an over exaggeration and a deviant interpretation of the “quantum measurement” problem.

Here, "Consciousness" is the key, and for New Agers, consciousness has precedence over matter. Let me point out one more time that it is Werner Erhard who funded the "Physics of Consciousness Research Group" at Esalen in 1975. See:

[www.qedcorp.com]

According to one of the physicist leading the group (Jack Sarfatti), Werner Erhard was also interested in UFO's and PSI (of course, he was a Scientologist). There exists also interesting links between Erhard and the CIA secret ‘distant viewing” (Stargate) project at Stanford lead by two physicists, Russel Targ and Hal Puthoff (Puthoff was a Scientologist!), but this is a little out of context at this time.

To conclude this post, does anyone knows how much emphasis is being put on the movie “What the Bleep do We Know!!?” at Landmark these days. It is definitely in line with Erhard’s New Age ideas about “creating your own reality”. This new philosophy gives participants a sense of infantile omnipotence where everything becomes possible, and where you become fully responsible for your own choices (being rich, poor, sick, healthy, or being hit by a truck!”.

Posted by: Gulab Jamon ()
Date: February 02, 2006 01:54AM

Well, I still liked the movie.

Posted by: midonov123 ()
Date: February 02, 2006 10:38AM

Gulab Jamon

... only for entertainment ;)

Posted by: joe6 ()
Date: February 02, 2006 03:52PM

Gulab Jamon
Does it matter that the movie succeeds because people think it is real? That people see it 6 times and get their friends to see it
because they believe what the movie is telling them, that this is what modern scientists have discovered about reality? When that's not the case at all?
Does it matter that the movie succeeds by confusing people who don't know it's concocted fantasy?

Posted by: Gulab Jamon ()
Date: February 03, 2006 01:47AM

joe6
Does it matter that the movie succeeds because people think it is real? That people see it 6 times and get their friends to see it
because they believe what the movie is telling them, that this is what modern scientists have discovered about reality? When that's not the case at all?
Does it matter that the movie succeeds by confusing people who don't know it's concocted fantasy?

One could argue the same thing about "The DaVinci Code", I suppose.

Pages: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.