Do LGATs restrict access to water? Dehydration decognition
Posted by: corboy ()
Date: July 30, 2018 09:48PM

We've learned that sleep deprivation, even mild sleep deprivation
compromises mental acuity and by extension, critical thinking.

Now there is an additional factor: dehydration.

If you are in an LGAT and *if* they're running the air conditioning cold, drying out the air and if they don't give you free access to water, you can get dehydrated.

Off Your Mental Game? You Could Be Mildly Dehydrated
7:02
DOWNLOAD
July 30, 20184:57 AM ET
Heard on Morning Edition

[www.npr.org]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Do LGATs restrict access to water? Dehydration decognition
Posted by: kdag ()
Date: July 31, 2018 01:44AM

I don't know about all LGATs, but in Landmark, you are allowed to take bottled water into the room, (That is the ONLY thing you can have). Also, they have pitchers of drinking water and paper cups at the back of the room, so it is available at all times.

It would be best to take in your own, (if you were going to do it in the first place), because it might be awkward to stand up and go back there and get it. Most of the time, people are in their seats and don't get up too much.

I have many criticisms of Landmark, but that is not one of them.

Posted by: bakkagirl ()
Date: July 31, 2018 02:29AM

Wet/dry, cold/hot, medicated/unmedicated, screened/unscreened, LGAT's should be avoided like the plague!

Date: July 31, 2018 03:54AM

bakkagirl Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Wet/dry, cold/hot, medicated/unmedicated,
> screened/unscreened, LGAT's should be avoided like
> the plague!

Yes, definitely!!! All the water in the world will not make an LGAT anything other than what it is. The thought-reform tactics are thick. I was only answering corboy's specific question.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/31/2018 03:56AM by kdag.

Date: July 31, 2018 09:28PM

I mentioned this because years ago I attended a talk given by people claiming
to know what was wrong with the Catholic Church.

We were in a hotel conference room. What got my attention was that the room was
freezing cold - like a walk in refrigerator. Had to keep my coat on the whole time.

After two hours I was parched with thirst - with nothing to account for it. At intermission, they provided goblets of ice water and I remember feeling grateful and desperate -- and very annoyed that the water was iced because it was hard to drink it quickly.

The content of the talk was so crazy and vile that I knew something was wrong with the group. I got up and left and they followed me out to the taxi stand.

Later on, I wondered if they intentionally ran the air conditioning to make us cold and thirsty.

That incident got me curious about room set ups for indoctrination purposes.

Date: July 31, 2018 10:00PM

Corboy wrote:

"Later on, I wondered if they intentionally ran the air conditioning to make us cold and thirsty.

That incident got me curious about room set ups for indoctrination purposes."

It sounds like a good possibility. I know Landmark is notorious for the room temp fluctuations. Maybe some LGATs or cults do that. I hadn't heard of it.

Posted by: bakkagirl ()
Date: July 31, 2018 10:53PM

Loving this trialogue,

Will say I am a minor expert on what is wrong with the Catholic Church, and I did not have to be systematically dehydrated to "get it",

But, I get what you are both saying...and, I wasn't jumping on you kdag...

I have to say that talking to so many folks via CEI has made me much more sensitive to milieu control, temperature, hydration, language, whatever...and, I am so grateful for this.

I have a big thing about being 'manipulated'...I don't like it, and certain people are so good at it.

Thank you both for helping me be MORE AWARE!!!

Date: August 01, 2018 09:38PM

This is the discussion we had about milieu control.

The discussion began April 23, 2004 07:49PM

[forum.culteducation.com]

Further down, one of the partcipants in the discussion mentioned a paper
written by someone describing what the author had observed of the LEC room set up.

Date: May 11, 2004 06:35AM

The Room Arrangement Deserves Our Close Attention

All of these are guesses, but are educated guesses based on material from persons who participated in Landmark.

Concerned OZ and kittypaw have found the URL for a paper written by Drew Kopp a former LEC volunteer who had set up rooms for many such events and who wrote a scholarly analysis of the special features of the LEC seminar room set up, and how social intereactions are scripted in very specific ways during the seminar.

Kopp's 40 page analysis, entitled 'Invisible Bodies, the Disinherited, and the Production of Space in the Landmark Forum maybe accessed here.

www.u.arizona.edu/~kopp/Finalmat3.doc

Many enthusiasts/publicists for LEC emphasize LEC's verbal content and philosophy and are convinced that these transformed them.

But Kopps data and line of reasoning invite us to speculate that focusing exclusively on LEC's verbal content may keep us from examining from something very important: what Kopp describes as the room set up.

With Drew Kopps material in mind, Look at what Hope has told us in one of the posts above in this thread:

''What I found uncomfortable were the chairs and the lack of space between them. I'm small, and the people on either side of me were big. When we all sat back, I had their elbows in front of me. In order for this not to happen, they would have had to lean forward or turn in their chairs. So it was pretty uncomfortable.'

Hope wrote:

'Some people timidly asked if the AC could be turned down and their requests were met with some nonsense about how the people who run the forum know what works for most people, how they cannot adjust the thermostat to meet everyone's needs, blah, blah, blah. Within 15 minutes, however, the AC was turned down and many sighed a big sigh of relief. The interruption of the sighing, however, brought on another lecture from the leader.'

Manipulating the room's environment
Posted by: corboy
Date: May 12, 2004 03:59PM

Dont go nuts trying to analyse the semantics. It is like trying to calculate the number of digits in PI--you'll go on forever and never reach an end to it.

If you consider Kopp's descriptions of the uncomfortable room arrangements, -you'll be able to spot similar layouts elsewhere and [b:2225ceab00]stay out of the room.[/b:2225ceab00]

THis is just my guess but from what Kopp has written and former participants have mentioned elsewhere on this thread, the effect of the LGAT on the participant's bodies may perhaps be as important, perhaps more important than its verbal material.

Hope told us that for her this was the most obnoxious thing--she wasnt told the that the schedule plus commute time would add up so that she'd be awake until 12:30 am and that doing the homework after the group would've kept her up until 1 pm.

Under those conditions, how can tired people remember that the leader told them 'Be back from dinner at 7:35 pm' and not '7:25 pm'?

As long as you're aware of this, you can recognize similar LGAT romm arrangements and *stay away from them* and warn your friends to *stay away.*

Just keep your eye on the stuff you can directly observe using your senses

At the end of page 1 of the soon to be lengthy discussion entitled "Manipulating the room's environment"

Date: May 13, 2004 10:38AM

[www.u.arizona.edu]

Invisible Bodies, the Disinherited, and the Production of Space in the Landmark Forum by Drew Kopp

Kopp's 40 page paper is the mental equivalent of a triathlon--gruelling, but well worth it. At the end, he comments:

'I would contend that this is a fundamental inauthenticity of Landmark Education, to use its own term to describe this dynamic and Landmark's lack of transparency of its operation.

'Landmark Education, in the form of any and all of its representatives, pretends to their customers, that participants can acquire this technology, its consequent powers, and then drop the tools that granted these powers at any given time in the future. For instance, the Course Leader, at the very end of the LF, will say, "I take it all back"; claiming that everything said in the course possesses absolutely nothing to believe in.

Yet, this is said against a background of [materially enforced re-conceptualizations (the special room set up, the scripted social interactions-Corboy) that have inscribed participants into a social space [the existence of which is completely tied up with continuing to participate with Landmark Education.

Thus, Landmark's technology compels participants to inscribe themselves further into more extensive and elaborate social spaces the organization offers participants to inhabit. This is the Faustian relationship with Mephistopheles, wherein desires are granted, but only if the means used are promoted endlessly, ultimately gaining importance over the participants' original aims. )

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/01/2018 09:50PM by corboy.

Date: August 01, 2018 09:44PM

Right after this first page of the Manipulating the Room Environment discussion,
a very distraught person arrived.

This may have been a coincidence.

It was, however, the first post this individual made.

dpa made this first post on Date: May 13, 2004 01:21PM

Corboy quoted from the Kopp paper on Date: May 13, 2004 10:38AM

Posted by: dpa10
Date: May 13, 2004 01:21PM

I can see that posts that expose the lies of the moderators are suppressed. And even after Corboy admitted his error he continued lying about a day later!
Good move to remove the thread to cover up the lie. Who's the one brainwashing people here?

and of course I see that Rick Ross has an extensive criminal record. Felonies I believe. And lawsuits.

No integtrity here. Liars. Charlatans. Criminals.

But we are watching you.

Most of page 2 was taken up with dpa10's posts.

Fortunately former LEC participants cannot be distracted.

At the end of Page 2 Hope spoke:

Posted by: Hope
Date: May 14, 2004 03:43AM

What's interesting is how DPA brought up a minor error on Corboy's post, yet did not reply to my post on the lack of integrity between the schedule info on LEC's web page and the actual schedule in the Forum. Participants were really pissed off, but by the time we realized we would not be leaving anywhere near midnight, we knew it was futile to protest.

dpa10 absorbed our attention. Then two more LEC survivors arrived and returned
the thread to the topic at hand.

Posted by: Ginge
Date: June 20, 2004 02:23AM

This site is fascinating - thanks for all the LEC stuff. It has helped me assess my own LM experiences, but questions still remain.

Having recently done the LE Forum and Advanced courses (FOOL!!), I came away after both with cold/flu like symptoms. The advanced course was 5 weeks ago and I am still coughing sporadically. On analysis, I place the blame of these illnesses on the sealed-environment and re-circulating of stale air mode of operation of the air conditioning. As a result of having to take time off work to recover from both illnesses, there is no way that I intend going near the LEC training rooms again.

At the beginning of one of the first-day sessions of the Forum, I quizzed a "helper" about the air con as the air tasted vile. After 45 minutes of running, the air con had not removed the "stale breath" taste and the feeling was one of reduced oxygen; breathing required noticably more effort to keep from feeling drained or light headed. My concern was brushed off with a flippant "no one else has complained", or some similar message. I countered by questioning if the air con was a sealed system merely processing the air in the room, or whether it exhausted stale air to the outside world and brought in new air. "It is set the way it is set for all courses". Not a particularly helpful response.

Once I had accepted that (in Landmarkian) "the air con is the way it is because it is the way it is", or in the world of reality, I realised I was not going to get a sensible answer unless I spoke to the air con equipment supplier, I took note of how it was adjusted throughout the sessions: hot, cold, on, off. The variations were noticably different to the point of needing to put on / take off a sweater. In a sealed-environment with re-circulating stale air, a prime breeding-ground for cold/flu. (At one point I even considered the possibility of the air con being a breeding ground for the Legionella bug).

The Advanced course was held in a smaller training room (equally as sparse as the Forum; same decor, same intimate chair spacing, same useless air con, but thankfully a much smaller group). I raised the same air-con questions, and got a very similar answer from a different helper. A programmed response, I guess.

Getting off the subject line a bit, right from the beginning of the Forum, I had suspicions of mind-games. Hopefully the suspicions and the suspect air-con helped in not allowing me to be totally sucked in (er, well, I did carry on to the Advanced). In 3 days I felt that I did not "get it", and frankly, at the time I was annoyed that I seemed to get nothing, but some folk appeared to have had major "breakthroughs", although the gut-spilling process was embarrassingly vile. Gut-spilling in public is not part of my make-up.

The Forum fear exercise did absolutely nothing for me. The leader guided the group deeper into fear and all I could think was that his lines breached the bounds of sensibility, and therefore credibility, and my reaction was to reject it as a load of rubbish. All credibility was lost when the "empty and meaningless" bit came up. "Yeah, just like this course!".

Anyway, I want on to the Advanced course to see if I would "get it". Well, I got a debilitating dose of cold/flu, a heavy mind***k, lighter wallet, and little else. I must have been dozing in the Forum sessions that covered rackets and stories, because I still cannot remember their definitions, and felt a bit left-out in the Advanced when rackets were again discussed.

With regard to the sleep deprivation, yes, I did notice that it was a major factor, but refused to bow to the pressure - when my body signals the need for sleep I acknowledge the need and I sleep.... and to hell with the circumstances. As for making midnight or 8 am telephone calls at weekends, NO WAY. I place a higher value on keeping the good relationships that I have.

The exercise that I found most disturbing in the advanced course was the one where the participants stand toe-to-toe and look into each other's eyes for an extended period of time. Not comfortable or natural. After that I felt totally drained; emotionally, psychologically and physically. For the rest of the day I was totally out of it - a mere observer on the course and in no-way a participant.

Towards the end of the Advanced course each participant has to state what they have "created" for themselves. Some statements were so far fetched as to be totally unbelievable. Surely a mere statement of intent is insufficient to change a person's life? It may sow the seeds of some ideas, but the effort (in time and money) that would be required by some people to see the ideas through were bordering on super-human. Surely, as the ideas become unachievable, these people would feel deep failure? Presumably leading them to go back to LM for more courses?

What is the purpose of the notes that the helpers at the back of the room seem to be constantly taking? What are the notes themselves? Why are notes constantly being taken?

Is it possible to
1. Assess one's state of immunity to the Landmark programming?
2. Assess how deeply the Landmark programming has affected a person?
My wife says I have not changed, a friend who has done the Forum says I am more approachable, am not as moody, and more in touch with my emotions.
Personally, after having had no Landmark contact (apart from a few diplomatically terminated phone calls) I feel no different as a person, but do feel conned. Is this normal/reasonable/good?

Thoughts and feedback welcome.

Moderate: Delete•Delete + Replies•Split Here•Hide + Replies•Edit
Options: Reply•Quote•PM•Follow Topic•Report
Posted by: hossgal
Date: June 22, 2004 08:41AM

Ginge,

Your reaction to Landmark is quite similar to mine. After the inital euphoria wore off, I was the same person, though the feeling I'd been hoodwinked grew and persisted. However, if that's the worst thing that happened to you (feeling conned), consider yourself lucky! Many of the folks who write in here have suffered the loss of jobs, loving relationships and mental health.

I can't give an opinion regarding the advanced course. I didn't get that far.
I never really gave a thought to the people in the back of the room until one of the follow-up seminar evenings. I figured they were there to answer participant's questions and record the course leader's performance for review. Well, yes, and more. They DO watch participants and note their reactions. This became clear to me when a young man (a "reviewer") sat beside me during one of the "special evenings".

His attempt to get me engaged in the process of enrollment was clumsy and laughable. Obviously the Powers at LE were trying to salvage a sceptical, resistant worker bee (me). It was no coincidence that he chose to sit next to me. He was on a mission. This manipulation was, and is, repugnant! That was the last LE event I ever attended. Later that evening I got into an argument with my seminar leader about hard-sell tactics. I proved to be 'uncoachable".

Interesting possibility -- Legionnaire's Disease in a Landmark course room! Not that I'd wish that on the unsuspecting participants, but such an outbreak of disease would certainly give LE unwelcome publicity. You're absolutely right -- in such a closed environment, the "sharing" of bugs is just as likely as it would be in a commercial airliner.

As to whether or no you've "changed" -- I'd take your wife's opinion over that of an LE grad. The LE grad has an investment in "your having gotten it", especially if that grad is one of the "true believers". Your wife knows you best.

Congratulations on escaping relatively unscathed! Your own insights on your experiences, especially in the Advanced course, can serve as both information and warnings to others.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/01/2018 09:56PM by corboy.

Date: August 01, 2018 09:57PM

So if anyone has not yet done so, it may be worth looking through the discussion on manipulating tne room environment.

This gives clues that signal whether any workshop you're in is an LGAT.

Some features of a recipe are so important that these cannot be changed, even if the name is changed.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.