"Triumph of the Therapeutic" -- triumph of the cult uber alles
Posted by: bakkagirl ()
Date: June 27, 2018 03:50PM

I highly recommend Philip Reif's "Triumph of the Therapeutic"

[www.amazon.com]

as a means of understanding the origins of a post-morality 'cult'ure of therapeutic sensibility (the need to give, the need to receive) and endless forms of 'intervention'.

I was a somewhat prolific consumer of therapy as a troubled teen and young adult. While I think there were a few well-intentioned practitioners, I also experienced, in slightly altered form, many of the technologies we are discussing in this forum.

I am struggling to remember if discussing highly personal matters in the context of a group of strangers truly provided relief, or healing. I have to say, "no" it did not. What I think this activity fostered was dependency on a 'therapist' and a group for 'identity'.

I think Reif's research lays bare the roadmap for this slide down the slipperiest of slopes.

Re: "Triumph of the Therapeutic" -- triumph of the cult uber alles
Posted by: kdag ()
Date: June 28, 2018 04:24AM

"I am struggling to remember if discussing highly personal matters in the context of a group of strangers truly provided relief, or healing."

In the context of what we are talking about, it is used as leverage, and a way "in" for those who seek control. I'm not so sure that sharing all of this with a large group has any real benefit at all.

I can see how there can be a catharsis of sorts, when shared with smaller groups of people one knows, and has grown to trust, but in a large group of strangers, it seems like overexposure - risky, and strips away normal, healthy boundaries and defenses.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/28/2018 04:26AM by kdag.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.