Pages: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: Coaching, Coaching Uber Alles?
Posted by: bakkagirl ()
Date: June 09, 2018 10:38PM

While enduring the last coaching 'conference' I have attended, or will attend, I pressed a pencil to paper and made a (.) every time I heard the term "coaching culture"...there were hundreds of (.'s) on the paper by noon of the second day, when I left.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: International Coach Federation
Posted by: Shmarl ()
Date: June 14, 2018 11:00PM

This is my first post to CEI forum but have been lurking for several weeks. (side note: I found this forum after doing some Googling about Byron Katie. I had previously spent many hours watching her videos on her YouTube channel, reading some of her books. I have never been to a School for the Work retreat or any live event with Katie. Anyway, I saw Katie do the work with a woman during a live event on June 7, 2018 (I saw it online) in Ojai, CA, It was disturbing how Katie minimized the woman's exposure to emotional/psychological abuse by a romantic partner. The video isn't up on her YouTube channel or else I'd link to it. It's probably in her FB page which I have since unfollowed. This forum has been very helpful in disentangling me from BK.

I am a longtime meditator in the Zen tradition, and a regular attendee at a Zen center in my town. Our resident teacher has a side gig as a "coach" and I know from talking with him that he is trained in NLP. I have searched for him on the International Coach Federation site and luckily, he's not listed. He also now has a fitness coaching gig that uses NLP to help people get over any mental blocks they have over exercising. Can someone suggest some good reading or vids about NLP. Is it nefarious? Should I be concerned about his embrace of NLP?

Thanks in advance!

Date: June 14, 2018 11:32PM

Hi there,

Thanks for your post, thoughts, questions.

First of all, I have lived in Japan for many years and have no idea who Byron Katie is, but will investigate.

Second, I have a pretty good handle on the Zen tradition in Japan, having interned in a Zen facility, here, was pretty immersed in it for a time...am also legally-trained, U.S. law school, and have done a fair amount of mediation in workplaces. Which is to say, I have absolutely no idea what a "mediator in he Zen tradition" would do. Please tell me more about what you do.

I worked very hard in my coaching practice, work mostly with CEO's...have to deal with leadership issues, organizational issues in globalizing organizations, very complex. I had no idea, really, what life coaching was until I started seeking HELP for what was wrong with my field, in general, in this forum.

On NLP, I am not an expert, but know enough to have significant reservations about 'coaches' who employ this 'technology'. A lot of serious research says it is JUNK SCIENCE, but, NLP acolytes disagree. I tend to mistrust any magical solution to personal growth, and, it seems to me that NLP practitioners are often offering magical solutions -- my take.

bakkagirl

This is my first post to CEI forum but have been lurking for several weeks. (side note: I found this forum after doing some Googling about Byron Katie. I had previously spent many hours watching her videos on her YouTube channel, reading some of her books. I have never been to a School for the Work retreat or any live event with Katie. Anyway, I saw Katie do the work with a woman during a live event on June 7, 2018 (I saw it online) in Ojai, CA, It was disturbing how Katie minimized the woman's exposure to emotional/psychological abuse by a romantic partner. The video isn't up on her YouTube channel or else I'd link to it. It's probably in her FB page which I have since unfollowed. This forum has been very helpful in disentangling me from BK.

I am a longtime meditator in the Zen tradition, and a regular attendee at a Zen center in my town. Our resident teacher has a side gig as a "coach" and I know from talking with him that he is trained in NLP. I have searched for him on the International Coach Federation site and luckily, he's not listed. He also now has a fitness coaching gig that uses NLP to help people get over any mental blocks they have over exercising. Can someone suggest some good reading or vids about NLP. Is it nefarious? Should I be concerned about his embrace of NLP?

Thanks in advance!

Posted by: Shmarl ()
Date: June 15, 2018 12:23AM

Hi bakkagirl,

I sit for about 25 min. in meditation every morning and attend weekend retreats from time to time. My Zen center comes out of the Korean Zen tradition. During our regular practice periods, we have a chanting ceremony, walking meditation, and of course, sitting. Our resident teacher stresses "shikantaza" which you have likeley practiced or heard of from your time in Japan. We also do koan introspection with our teachers. I'd say it's very informal compared to Japanese Soto or Rinzai Zen. I have been sitting with my current group for about 10 yrs., and knew a while back that our resident teacher was an NLP practitioner. When I first heard that he was into NLP, I Googled it and read that it was junk science, like you said. Didn't think much more about it. After digging around in this forum, I just got a little concerned. Some of the other members of our Zen center have some interest in alternative medical therapies, like reiki and energy healing. One guy believes that aliens visited Earth thousands and thousands of years ago. That's a post for a different message board, perhaps. Overall the group is pretty "chill," and don't go running after people who decide to stop sitting with us.

Glad to year you've found coaching rewarding. Some of the other Zen teachers in our group of centers (or sangha) are also coaches. Not sure if it's "life coaching" or the kind of coaching you do.

There's a ton of info. on Byron Katie in this forum, though not as much discussion of her lately.

Date: June 15, 2018 05:59PM

Schmarl,

Thanks for your message. I am glad you have found your Zen practice meaningful.

I checked out Byron Katie, OMG!!!

On coaching, I have been focused on working with executives who are generally transitioning to new roles, or global roles. I have found this very meaningful prior to the field being co-opted by the organization I have been ranting about in this forum.

For me, it comes down to a desire to work in a research-based field, as opposed to a New Age kook club. I don't appreciate what the field has become, really at any level...so, big changes ahead for me.

Posted by: corboy ()
Date: June 15, 2018 10:02PM

It is not just Byron Katie.

Stephen Mitchell too. Go to search section of this message board.

Choose all dates. Put Stephen Mitchell into the search slot.

And

[www.google.com]

About 5,120 results (0.46 seconds)
Search Results
Spirit Rock Meditation Center - The Work of Byron Katie
thework.com/en/event/2016-august-spirit-rock-a-day-with-byron-katie
Aug 27, 2016 - Spirit Rock Meditation Center. This event took place in the past. For a current list of upcoming events with Byron Katie, click here.
Loving What Is: A Day with Byron Katie at Spirit Rock - Facebook
[www.facebook.com]
Loving What Is: A Day with Byron Katie at Spirit Rock. Public. · Hosted by The Work of Byron Katie. Interested ... Spirit Rock Meditation Center. 5000 Sir Francis ...
Byron Katie doing the Work, live stream from Spirit Rock Meditation ...
[www.facebook.com]
Byron Katie doing the Work, live stream from Spirit Rock Meditation Center ... I LOVE watching Byron Katie do the Work and would love for you to join me in ...
Live Webcast - Loving What Is with Byron Katie - Facebook
[www.facebook.com]
Live Webcast - Loving What Is with Byron Katie. Public. · Hosted by Spirit Rock Meditation Center and The Work of Byron Katie. Interested ...
Join Byron Katie and Spirit Rock... - Spirit Rock Meditation Center ...
[www.facebook.com]
Join Byron Katie and Spirit Rock Meditation Center for a special livestreamed event! With Byron Katie's humor and clarity, she will show viewers how to identify ...
Event: 26 August 2017 Spirit Rock Meditation Center ... - Byron Katie
www.byronkatie.com/2017/06/event-26-august-2017-spirit-rock-meditation-center/
Event: 26 August 2017 Spirit Rock Meditation Center. No Comments. Join Katie in a workshop designed to take you on a journey of self-discovery. With her ...
Videos

1:06
On Spirit Rock
Spirit Rock Meditation Center
YouTube - Jul 24, 2017

13:41
Identity Theft and Kindness—The Work of Byron Katie ®
Byron Katie
YouTube - Jun 22, 2015

8:14
Showing Up for Your Life
Phillip Moffitt
YouTube - Aug 1, 2012

1:04:46
Guided Meditation, Spirit Rock Meditation Center, January 13, 2014
Dale Borglum
YouTube - May 25, 2017

7:01
No One Can Hurt Me, That's My Job—The Work of Byron Katie®
Byron Katie
YouTube - Nov 22, 2017

11:53
Body Healing: A Guided Meditation with Jack Kornfield
Eileen Fisher LifeWork
Vimeo - May 2, 2017

29:18
Stanley Didn't Have to Die—The Work of Byron Katie®
Byron Katie
YouTube - Nov 15, 2017

4:02
Awakening Joy: James Baraz on the Joy of Simplicity and "Letting Go"
Awakening Joy
YouTube - Oct 21, 2014

1:33:58
Conversations on Compassion with Thupten Jinpa, PhD
CCARE at Stanford University
YouTube - Jun 3, 2015
Event: Spirit Rock Meditation Center - Blog for The Work of Byron Katie
www.byronkatie.com/2014/08/event-spirit-rock-meditation-center/
Spirit Rock Meditation Center—Woodacre, California and live webcast. Saturday, 30 August 2014. Loving What Is: A Day with Byron Katie A Benefit for the Spirit ...
Byron Katie broadcast live from Spirit Rock Meditation Center | San ...
[patch.com]
Aug 24, 2012 - Byron Katie broadcast live from Spirit Rock Meditation Center. With her humor and lovingly incisive clarity, Katie will show you how to identify ...
Byron Katie on Twitter: "See me live online direct from Spirit Rock ...
[twitter.com]
See me live online direct from Spirit Rock Meditation Center, 10 a.m.-5 p.m. tomorrow, Saturday, 25 August. xoxo bk [livewithbyronkatie.com].

Posted by: kdag ()
Date: June 16, 2018 03:46AM

...and Tony Robbins.

Date: June 16, 2018 06:08AM

and, Tony Robbins.

Y'all,

One thing that struck me in my readings in the forum is that we are all pretty much focusing on individuals, or organizations, are REACTING to these.

I am thinking it would be more productive to view individuals and/or organizations through a lens of 'trance technology'...to not focus on the 'who', but on the 'how'.

This occurred to me, today, in reading the latest news about NXIVM, which focuses unduly on the personalities of Raniere and Mack. I haven't heard 'NLP' described in more than a few NXIVM reports.

Tony Robbins is interesting to me, not as the person Tony Robbins (not his real name), but as a master of trance technology, and, specifically NLP.

I am wondering if can add more value by explicating the trance technologies these individuals and groups use in really concise and dispassionate fashion. I think 'not Moses' is doing this on his blog...

Developing the means to recognize and counter 'trance technologies' seems like a very useful endeavor to me (have yet to read Rick Ross's book...am sure he goes there).

I don't even want to file this under 'recovery', my own, or other peoples', because I think 'recovery' is another one of their templates.

I want to file this under 'POWER'.

bakkagirl

Posted by: kdag ()
Date: June 19, 2018 08:28AM

@bakkagirl, i tried to send p.m. You need to clean out your mailbox.
kdag

Pages: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.