Current Page: 2 of 3
Landmark Intro Seminar & The Landmarkian Psychotherapist
Posted by: Hope ()
Date: February 06, 2006 10:00PM

I am not certain, but she may be a forum leader; however, beyond just mentioning the programming casually in that one conversation, she has never employed the "hard sell" tactics that other forum leaders seem to use.

Yup - that's exactly what I thought. Why do you think she might be a forum leader? I didn't realize just howmuch LE technology my naturopath had been using, from day 1, when he casually mentioned LE, until after the damage had been done. When I went to LF a few months after he left the country, it all became very clear why I felt so confused, why I felt worse than when I originally went to see him. He had been running a mini-Landmark on me, over the course of over a year, without my knowledge. HE got frustrated with my lack of progress and that's when he insisted I go to the Forum. He did not try any high pressure techniques to get me to go until HE got frustrated. Turns out he had done almost every course they had to offer.

There is a reason you suspect your therapist is a forum leader. I agree with Elena and would head for the hills.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: looking for help ()
Date: February 06, 2006 11:22PM

The forum leader's pics and names are on the website. Check it out and see if he's there.

Posted by: MercurialMere ()
Date: February 07, 2006 12:27AM

Thank you so much for the advice, everyone!

I checked the forum leader list on the LEC site and my therapist wasn't there, so I guess I was wrong about that. She must be one of the "gold tags" who assist at the introductory meetings.

What would be some signs that she is employing LEC techniques/jargon during our sessions? I have thought long and hard about this and can't remember an exercise or assignment she's given me that jives with LEC, but I've only been researching LGATs for a week or so now and may be missing vital information.

Hope, what sorts of LEC practices did your naturopath use?

Date: February 07, 2006 02:11AM

It's amazing for me to read that far back, when I first came to this forum. What an education I've gotten! Thanks again to Rick Ross for all the information and help.

[board.culteducation.com]

[board.culteducation.com]

Posted by: Lucas ()
Date: February 08, 2006 12:34AM

MercurialMere (and others) -

I'm a journalist working on piece about Landmark Education at work. I'm reaching out to people who've encountered Landmark in the professional sphere - whether it be through consultants or through the Forum itself.

In my research, I've learned that everyone has an opinion about Landmark. Some love the program, others say it's very dangerous. I'm hoping to learn from both.

Specifically, I'm looking at how Landmark recruits new members through professional channels. From what I understand, many people discover Landmark because their boss or supervisor suggests that they take the Forum. Others find that the consultancy visiting their office are actually promoting Landmark-style language.

Could I speak with you further about your experience? I'd be happy to explain the project in more detail - and you may remain anonymous if you wish.

If you respond to this post, I should get an update in my inbox. Either that, or send an email to this address:

comm-131926396@craigslist.org

I'd be grateful for your perspective. If others on the message board are reading this and have a story to share, please drop me a note.

Thank you,
Lucas

Date: February 08, 2006 01:40AM

Lucas,

You might want to investigate whether Landmark has a very strong presence on campus at some of the alternative medical education campuses, like Bastyr University in Washington. On a naturopathic forum, some posters did mention it does.

Posted by: nutrino ()
Date: February 08, 2006 03:00AM

Since you'll be mucking around in this domain you'll be hearing a good deal of their neo-speak... in fact you might want to look up George Orwell's newspeak word "Crimestop"... how to supress even the first inkling of doubt of dissent within yourself, the ultimate in self censorship...

EST/LEC/FORUM loves the word "distinction"... more truthfully, they love the distinctions that they love, and those that they do not love, they love not. You might also ask them about the relationship of Fernando Flores and Werner Erhard... as he played a large role in the evolution of EST speak, EST distinctions... Flores was the man who coined their usage of "distinction" and "coaching" and probably many other concepts of neo-speak as well.

The distinction you might want to get a better grasp of is how many companies align themselves with LEC out of some deep values based connection, rather like Christian businesses do, (sociologists call this a "terminal value" association) OR, whether some companies wish to exploit certain features of the LEC technology to obtain a more pliable, submissive, unquestioning workforce (an "instrumental value" association)...

Happy Distinguishing!

Posted by: Lucas ()
Date: February 08, 2006 05:30AM

Thanks! The alternative medicine stuff should be interesting - and yes, I've already come across a lot of the vocab.

One of the Landmark/work themes that's been turning up again and again is that people don't necessarily go to the Forum because their supervisor tells them - but because their colleagues are going and they're feeling left out. Sometimes the vocab is one of the reasons they feel they need to go: "Everyone else is using the language, I might as well keep up to speed..."

Posted by: lightwolf ()
Date: February 08, 2006 09:07PM

Hope
You might want to investigate whether Landmark has a very strong presence on campus at some of the alternative medical education campuses . . . .
Hello Hope,

It's interesting you mention the alternative med link with Landmark. That is the biggest drive in my Lekkie friend's life right now, and it really fits the overall theme. I'd appreciate your posting any other info you have on the topic.

For all their hype of "creating their own reality," it sure seems like many of them create the SAME reality. Automatons in action.

-lightwolf

Posted by: nutrino ()
Date: February 09, 2006 12:59AM

Hmmmm... alternative physics meets alternative medicine.... explained by an alternative philosophy that uses an alternative vocabulary...

This reminds me of Frank Zappa's definition of rock journalism: written for people who can't think about people who can't talk by people who can't write.

If you want to go drilling down into the lower strata of their belief system(s) you could investigate one of the newer academic fields, Philosophy Of Mind... that asks, what is mind, what is consciousness ?

IF "mind" is somehow impactful upon brute reality, and there is no doubt that mind has a clear realtionship with body, psyche and soma do partake of the same existence, does mind have "full responsibility" for all aspects of bodily function ? The alternative viewpoint is that is that psyche and soma both arise from, are varied manifestations of DNA, and DNA is prone to error, and once the genetic fate of an individual is manifested, it is impervious to mind. All the wishful thinking in the world cannot reverse code your cellular DNA...

So you see the philosophic train wreck approaching ? The Lekkies imply (because you'll NEVER get a clear declarative statement out of them, they long ago learned the dangers of "taking a stand" on matters subject to Falsification... they much prefer, you know, to "dance with the possibility", i.e. slip out the rhetorical back door while you're being distracted with a clever verbal card trick)... anyway, the Lekkies imply that mind, or "will" or thought generation is primary (so what happens if Werner has a stroke ? Has he lost his Sourceness, is he now Eclipsed Source ? What ?)... so your functionality ISN'T a consequence of your metabolic efficiency, your innate stamina or immune competence, so they deny or minimize the primacy of DNA and genetic heritage, as the also deny or minimize the impact of one's circumstances, family dynamics, internal personal narratives that we ignorami call the personal identity. To them, that's all a self limiting froth they call "story".... based on that doggie doo mindset, your DNA is just more "story"... one more sad fiction you're enslaved by...

Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.