Excellent description of a Landmark weekend
Posted by: newfuture ()
Date: December 13, 2012 01:30AM

I came across this excellent article written online by someone who had, after much pressure from his boss, taken the landmark forum. It's worth reading for anyone considering doing the forum. It's also worth reading for those seeking to remember what happened to them in that weekend. It may be triggering for some though I hope not.

Read original article here

Breakthroughs and Blarney
My Experiences With The Landmark Forum

The following information is meant to enlighten those that are coerced or "enrolled" by friends, family members, co-workers and employers into taking what is called The Landmark Forum, a Large Group Awareness Seminar run by former employees/followers of Werner Erhard, founder of EST. After being involved with their rather zealous followers, I wanted to document my experiences with them and to shine a light on their recruiting tactics and the nature of their "technology." If you have had similar experiences with this organization, and want to share your concerns/experiences pro or con, please send me an e-mail.

Part 1

This past February, I had taken a position with a small software-training company in Pittsburgh, PA working as a sales/marketing capacity. It was a quite small and the owner and the employees seemed to be on the ball. They talked incessantly about one of their other new employees taking the steps to join the company and participate in “The Forum” and were quick to explain to their latest hire (ME) all of the “breakthroughs” in their life due entirely to this thing called the Landmark Forum, and how it is strongly encouraged of everyone that works here to attend this seminar, as it will greatly improve communication within the small company. For the next two months, I was spoken to regarding upcoming seminars, and was told that the company would cover half of the $400 tuition for the weekend. The owner took great pains after work, on lunch breaks and other slow times to explain his experiences with the Forum, and how it greatly changed his life for the better.

Being one for always hearing a person state their case, I listened about how if it wasn’t for the Forum, his business, marriage, happiness, etc. would not be possible, and that this thing really changed his life. That’s quite fine, but then it got a bit stronger. While running errands for the office with him, he went to great lengths to introduce me to other “graduates” that were peppered around downtown Pittsburgh, who were equally as excited to get me to sign up for this seminar. Around this time, the other co-worker backed out of his “commitment” to attend the seminars, and was immediately shunned by the owner and other co-workers, and explained to me that “John” had some serious emotional problems and wouldn’t attend the forum. Later “John” told me that it wasn’t true, and that he just didn’t want to get involved with these people. Soon afterward, “John” was terminated from the company, and his replacement was soon signed up for the Forum within about two months.

Around this time, I had the opportunity to research the Forum. I had always known of EST, and the sordid history of its founder Werner Erhard. I also had a good friend from college that had bought into the whole Forum experience. When he was in the Forum, he had called me repeatedly throughout his two sessions, and would rant at great lengths about his life, and how much this thing “transformed” his life, telling me his deepest darkest secrets while in a somewhat tranquilized state. I also found a posting of a local man’s rather painful experience with the Forum that made him speak out on the cult like nature of Landmark Education. As luck would have it, he turned out to be one of my neighbors.

As I learned more, the less I wanted to have anything to do with this organization, but the recruiting didn’t stop. In trying to put a stop to these efforts, I unfortunately broke my anonymity as a recovering alcoholic, and did not want to do anything that would put my recovery at risk. He acknowledged that, and then I was told that he knew some of the “graduates” that were also recovering alcoholics as well, who soon afterwards spoke with me to assure me that it would be a great asset to my recovery to attend the Forum.

So after about 5 months or so of their recruiting, I agreed to attend the Forum, on the condition that they would pay for it. Needless to say, he whipped out the credit card, made the call, and within 10 minutes, I was scheduled for the September Forum in Cleveland, given all of the information to fill out. I was also informed that there was a no-refund policy, and that I should not back out of this commitment. Needless to say, after seeing what happened to one of my former co-workers, I made the commitment, half fearful for my job, half curious to see just what this thing’s all about.

I packed an overnight bag and set off at 4:00 in the morning to trek to the Travel Lodge in Cleveland for the 8:00 session. Arriving fully caffinated, I checked in, and was greeted by a rather cheerful group of volunteers, checking my application and going over the “are you mentally fit” section. I peered into the conference room to see another 10 volunteers frantically setting up the 250-odd chairs in the ballroom, and a few others huddled around a very attractive black woman, dressed in a charcoal gray suit who was busy setting up her folder as she was getting a neck-rub.

The group of 200-odd people that assembled for the seminar looked like a cross-section of Middle-Class Cleveland, home-makers, college students, sales reps, Quite a few computer professionals, and a few retirees thrown into the mix as well. A vast majority of them were enrolled by a family member or a good friend that had completed the Forum, and a large contingent, including myself, that were recruited by their employers/co-workers. Most all of them were quite excited to be there, and were expecting some big things to happen over the course of the next three days.

Upon the start if the event, we here herded into the rather cheesy conference room and had a look at the rather spartan stage that contained only two blackboards, a director’s chair and a music stand filled with papers. The forum leader, Margaret welcomed us and was rather quick to get down to business. Almost immediately, we were asked to question our motives for being here, and began to read a litany of information regarding the Forum itself. One of the big hot-button words that got the participants interested was the liberal use of the word “technology.” Soon afterward, we were involved in a question/answer question about the Forum and especially some of the ties to Werner Erhard. Bear in mind that many of the questions regarding good old Werner were quickly brushed off, not to mention the dozen or so questions regarding LEC being a cult. Later in the morning, we were told the rules (NO talking without permission, NO taking notes, NO food or drinks other than water in the room, NO tardiness, NO drugs or booze during the weekend, etc) and that any deviation from these rules would risk out entire Forum experience. They also introduced the legion of “volunteers” that were there to assist us if we so needed it and told us of the three 16-hour days that are required for this seminar. We were also being told that if you felt that this would be too much for you to handle, or if you didn’t want to go through with it, you should leave immediately and get your money back.

At this point, her rather personable demeanor turned authoritarian, as participants voiced their concerns to her about the long hours, and the idea of “transformation” which didn’t sit well with many of the people there. There was a greater concern when we were told that the Forum is only a taste of the larger Landmark product line, including services for business, the highly-hyped “Advanced” course and even a special Forum for kids, so your children can be a part of your “transformation.”

At this point I was quite skeptical of Landmark and was ready to leave the seminar and ask for my money back. However, If I did, I would be placing my job at risk. My boss had paid for the Forum and I would have to explain myself to him when I came back, not following through on my commitment to follow through with the seminar. I feared that I would lose the respect of my boss, and insult him. After all, he was very involved in Landmark Education, along with most all of his friends and family as well. The answer was quite clear at the time - Suck it up and deal with it as best you can, and try to get through it without hurting yourself.

As the day grew longer, and the people there weren’t accustomed to having their brains bent for any great length of time, the once positive and inquisitive attitude of the group soon turned sour. I also noticed that many of the people there were becoming rather confused as the evening went on, and rather that take a break, they stopped questioning it and went on with the others in the group for the brain-bending.

It is also important at this time to note that the ideas of enrolling others into Landmark come into play at this time. During breaks, we are instructed to call and write letters to friends, and family to let them know how Landmark is working in their life, and how they should take the time to attend the Forum. Needless to say, the pay-phones were jammed during break time.

In the latter part of Friday evening, the participants have been worn down to the point that some are already having “breakthroughs.” One man confesses that he has been harboring a great deal of resentment towards his mother when she did not give him overwhelming praise after he was accepted into a prestigious program at Harvard. Another man stood up and stated that he was having a great deal of trouble being intimate with his wife, and that he did not enjoy having sex with her. A housewife said that she was sick and tired of being stepped on by her husband. A rather pretty young woman was in tears describing how her father abandoned her mother when she was three. Needless to say, liberal amounts of Kleenex were passed around in that session. I too was caught up in the emotion of this rather cathartic exercise, and realizing the pain of these rather ordinary people As a result of this exercise, we were instructed to write a letter to friends/family that you feel this way. I could also feel the group thought taking control of the individual thought at this time. It was part revival, part group therapy with a dash of Orwellian mind-control tossed in for good measure. Heady stuff, but potentially dangerous. The confessional atmosphere caused many to get up and blather on and on about what’s bothering them, where they are lacking, etc. just for the reinforcement from the Forum leader. This made others uncomfortable that they aren’t up there spilling their guts in front of 200+ complete strangers.

During the second day, the group assembled in the conference room, some looking better than others. The tone was strict with little chit-chat. One man was chided for taking notes during the session, and those that were late had been given a icy stare from the Leader and other participants as well. The topics discussed that lengthy day were “rackets” and “winning formulas.” Rackets dealing with the inner conflicts which prevent us from having “breakthroughs” and Winning Formulas being the very things that we rely on as tools for survival in the world. During those 16 hours, everyone had compiled ideas on what theirs were, and shared with others ad-nauseum. The psychological wear and tear that I was putting myself through was starting to take hold, and was fixed with a few cups of coffee I smuggled in after breaks. Later on that evening, there was an exercise that I found to be quit disturbing. After 2 solid days of mind-bending, the Forum leader had the group close their eyes and have their brain scrubbed. At this point the group was fully in the palm of her hand as she pushed the ever-powerful “fear” button. Within a span of ten minutes, the entire group was sobbing incessantly and many were screaming. Powerful for some, rather disconcerting for myself - it was getting a bit too weird for me.

But at this point, I must give the folks at Landmark some credit. They sure know how to work a room. At the end of it, the entire group was laughing as they were wiping the tears from their eyes. It was a major group catharsis, fueled mainly by the fact that many minds in that room were reduced to Silly-Putty waiting to be kneaded and stretched some more. After the exercise, the group was given their second assignment, more letters and calls to loved ones to tell them of their experiences and how they should attend.

Sunday was the time in which things lightened up a bit - or did it? The concept of “Life is empty and meaningless when life is empty and meaningless” was brought to the group. Immediately, some people in the group just had their bubble burst. One woman stood up and yelled, “No it’s not! That’s bullshit!” and others began to cry. Once again - working the crowd, bursting balloons and refilling them with a mixture of helium and existentialism. Many don’t know what to think. They are disoriented, much more so than before, which is the perfect time to review information on how THE ADVANCED COURSE can fill that empty space, and for only $800 ($700 of you sign up within the week) you too can fill your life with meaning. Later, participants are asked to bring their friends who enrolled them into the Forum to thank them in front of the crowd. I think they get a toaster if they sign up 3 or more. Before the evening was over, we were instructed on our reentry into normal life. We were asked that we take this opportunity to observe our world around us, and also to make sure that we bring some friends to the Tuesday evening session for our “wrap-up.”

Was the next day magical? Not really. I was rather disoriented from lack of sleep, and was a bit more suspicious of this thing being a cult when I spoke to my co-workers that were excited to learn of what I had thought of the whole thing. I was especially wary of their suggestions that I bring some friends to the Tuesday night seminar. More concerning was that they launched into the Forum-speak with me.

The next evening, I was back in Cleveland for the wrap-up session, which as I found out was like a big Psychological AMWAY sales seminar in which family and friends are unmercilessly pitched the Forum while the bent-brain Forum grads are pitched the Advanced Class. At one point, the forum leader had asked those that were signing up for the advanced class to do so now. About half of the people got up and signed on. She then asked who was considering taking the advanced class to stand up. All in all, the Forum was quite interesting, and as someone who is a bit of a thrill-seeker, I stood up. We were then ordered to go to the back to sign up for the advanced course. I followed and started to fill out the application. Then I caught myself - did I have $700? No - That’s 3 months rent for me. That little voice inside my head said to me, “you’re in over your head.” That little voice was ME. I stared at the form, and then was given the 3rd degree by a volunteer and a couple others hanging over his shoulder. The conversation went something like this.

Volunteer: Are you signing up for the one in December or January.
ME: I’m sorry. I thought about it, and I just don’t want to. I don’t have the money.
Volunteer: If you don’t sign up now, you won’t save $100
ME: I don’t have$700
Volunteer: Put it on your card.
ME: Sorry, I can’t and I won’t
Volunteer: What are you afraid of? Don’t you want to change?
ME: Look, I don’t have the money, and I really feel comfortable doing this.
Volunteer: If you don’t do the advanced forum, you’ll lose what you’ve learned.
ME: What did I just say to you?
Volunteer - Long pause
ME: I’m getting up from this chair and I’m going to sit down right now. Thank you.

Unfortunately, the Forum leader noticed that I was quick in getting back to me seat. I was then chided for not following through with my commitment. Commitment to what?

TO BE CONTINUED
BACK

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Excellent description of a Landmark weekend
Posted by: newfuture ()
Date: December 13, 2012 01:38AM

Here's another good online posting.

I think these will be helpful for those trying to understand what may have been most damaging in their landmark experience. Definitely helped me and reminded me of some things.

Read the original post here

My Landmark experience - the long term effects. Don't fall into the trap. topic posted Sun, June 14, 2009 - 1:01 PM by Elle

I attended the Landmark Forum about two years ago in July of '07. I was 21 years old, had suffered a major derailing of my life goals, and was just starting to discover myself apart from social norms. I was searching for something and had begun to find little pieces of truth in books, movies, ect... The Introduction to the Landmark Forum that I attended just reiterated certain things that I had begun to realize about my life and already in that one 3 hour session opened me up to brand new thoughts. When I finally attended I remember feeling elated because some of the distinctions that the Landmark Forum Leader was giving us really resonated with me, but as we got deeper into the work and the conversations I remember feeling a little iritated becuase the focus was subtly shifting from basic truths about life to what had jacked us up earlier in life so that our life doesn't work now. In hindsight I was happy with my life, I was already fully aware that I was an asshole and hadn't seen this as a problem. My life before the Landmark Forum was slowly starting to recover from the fall that it had taken, but in the spriit of "being on the court," I began to pick my life back apart. As I said before, I was searching and I was looking for a quick miracle to get my life back on track. How could I find that miracle that Landmark promised if I did not give my life over to the technology?

I discovered my problem somewhere in the middle of the second day. "I hate people," and I had all sorts of past experiences to attribute this to. I created the "possibility of being touched, moved, and inspired by others." It was in that moment that I gave up my autonomy. It was in that moment I sold myself out.

It was the whole dichotomy of the looking good conversation. No, I was never a person who cared about looking good in any sense. I was that kid in highschool when I didn't have my homework (which was frequently) that told the teacher straight up with no excuses that I didn't have it. My mother often became frustrated with me because she could never guilt me into doing whatever it was that she wanted done. Somehow in the course of these three and a half days because I didn't want to seem closed minded and unadventerous I cracked. With my new possibility in trying to enjoy other people came the inherent need for me try to get people to enjoy me. In reality I am quiet and aloof. i don't have many friends, but the ones I do have I will cherish forever. With this new possibility I became the worst inauthentic version of myself. I'm just now realizing how carefully this scheme was constructed because on the last day it is really emphasized that we are whole, perfect, and complete beings, that nothing is wrong with us and that we just made it up. I had already had my new possibility, it had never dawned on me that my old way of being was just fine too. After all if it is just a matter of context,"asshole" is what I was being according to a bunch of people who thought I should be more social, but I was being more real then than after coming out of the Landmark Forum trying to find enjoyment in every solitary person I met.

My self-esteem began to take a barely noticiable plummet. The jargon and the constant attacks on my integrity and the calls for me to be on the court by people who had seemed to "get it" caused me to ruin my life because of the change in my character and because of the constant prostelyzation. Whatever I was searching for I wanted really badly and according to Landmark to be outrageous and unreasonable was the only way. Besides, I had seen something really helpful at the Landmark Forum and I was hoping that whom ever I was able to recruit would help me fill in the parts I missed. I didn't see, however, that gradually I wasn't putting on an act anymore just to prove that I could be on the court. I really began hating my life and I became desperate.

I signed up for the Advanced Course. I still don't know what I got smacked in the face with there. All I know is that the result was evil. The Advanced Course finished me from being my own person for the next 7 months. I gave my life over to Landmark and became this plastic smiling drone just spewing jargon and assisting at every chance I got. Mind you I was broke by this point and didn't have a job. My new goal in life was to be a Landmark Forum Leader and I was not the only one in this situation.

I finally did get a job because I needed someway to pay for the next course I wanted to take. Looking back I just want to vomit because it was a job I couldn't stand, but back then I labeled it as a miracle that I got out of participating in Landmark Education. I paid for the course it was supposed to be 6 months long. I made about three months.

I got tired of "standing in the possibility of...", "calling people out on their acts," all of the special Landmark terms for certain behaviors that were subtly discouraged even in the Landmark Forum. I really couldn't tell the difference between saying "someday there will be peace" and "standing in the possibility of peace." I couldn't tell the difference between calling someone out on their act and just being plain self-righteous. I couldn't tell the difference between how they wanted me to enroll someone into the Landmark Forum and how Hitler was able to enroll so many Germans into the idea of a pure race.

I walked out.

The calls came. I didn't answer any of them. I didn't want to have any conversations where I'd be asked to consider some sort of possibility. I was tired or making a difference and again I couldn't see the difference between making a difference, change, and transformation. Change was evidently not the goal of Landmark, but everyone sure did put alot of empahsis on making a difference and being transformed.

I felt like I was becoming a horrible person. I was done. I quit my job and just shunned society for 2 months. Don't ask me how I survived but I began to rebuild my own mind and personality. I found a new job and a new path, but I still don't understand exactly how such a seemingly benevolent company had such a hold on me. I had always had a strong mind up until this point.

I've got a whole new perspective on my life now. I am no longer searching for anything and am at total peace. But I want to go through the Landmark Forum and Advanced Course again. When aware I think that these programs can be extremely useful in understanding how so many people get suckered in by harmful ideas and group think. One can understand how culture is formed and how to maintain one's autonomy in a society that isn't far off from the environment Landmark creates. As we get older we experience this as a loss of innocence. Now that I've got my head firmly placed on my shoulders I think that by observing Landmark one last time will help me keep it there. It will help me close a dark chapter on my life to come out the other end not having been manipulated.

I wouldn't discourage anyone from doing anything, but if you are going to participate in Landmark Education stay keenly aware. You are not immune even if you are fully seduced by it at first. Do this program with the intent of never being suckered in.

Options: ReplyQuote

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.