Feldenkrais???
Posted by: glam ()
Date: December 22, 2005 01:24AM

Has anyone heard of this? Sounds odd. Someone in NY is offering a "workshop."

Options: ReplyQuote
Feldenkrais???
Date: December 22, 2005 04:51AM

Hi Glam,

I have heard of Feldenkrais. It has been around for many years (my guess would be 20-25 years). As someone who has done yoga and explored various types of bodywork for many years, I came across Feldenkrais and purchased a tape set to go through 24 basic lessons. The gist of it, if my memory serves me, is to learn to move more efficiently by repatterning the automatic, conditioned movement of your muscles. I found it very boring and was not impressed with the results. I am not sure I even went through all the lessons. I have never had any contact with a live class or anyone who teaches Feldenkrais, so I cannot give any info on what the mindset of people who practice this method might be.

Hope this helps. Was there anything more specific you were interested in learning about Feldenkrais?

QE

Feldenkrais???
Posted by: concernedfriend ()
Date: January 04, 2006 02:31PM

For the last eleven years I've made my living teaching the Feldenkrais Method (in Manhattan). My clients include all sorts of people, including performing artists, seniors, people who have had strokes, children with speech difficulties, people with chronic pain, and many others. The Feldenkrais Method is taught in two modes: Awareness Through Movement (for groups), in which the instructor gives oral instructions and the students do the movements; and Functional Integration (for individuals), in which the teacher guides the student's movement with his hands.

Here's how I got started: In the summer of '83, after having played folk guitar on and off for over fifteen years, I started jazz guitar lessons. Very soon I was hurting in my left wrist. For a month my doctor had me wear a wrist brace, take a anti-inflammatory drug, and not play the guitar. When I resumed playing the pain returned in five minutes. A few months later a guitarist referred me to a teacher of the Feldenkrais Method, and I began taking weekly lessons with her, both private and group. You can find one of my colleagues near you by looking here: www.feldenkrais.com/guild/find/index.html

Who is the teacher of the workshop?

Re: Feldenkrais???
Date: April 30, 2020 02:46AM

Feldenkrais might not be a cult as defined by Rick Ross and others. But it looks like there are many allegations of sexual harassment and abuse as outlined by this website:

[feldenkraishistoryx.com]

I have done a fair amount of Feldenkrais myself. And I enjoy it. It's kind of like a very gentle and effective Yoga. And I always feel relaxed and centered after doing it. Even so, the allegations of harassment towards women from some of the "higher-ups" are very concerning to me. It looks like some private forums talk about some of the incidents, but no mention has been made publically as far as I can tell.

Re: Feldenkrais???
Posted by: brushknee ()
Date: February 04, 2021 05:40AM

It's rubbish. So is Alexander Technique (I've had 80 lessons).

You're much better off buying a used pilates reformer and doing that in your house. That changes your body in two weeks. However -- do not rush it, if you don't have time to do it you're better off skipping that day.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/04/2021 05:41AM by brushknee.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.