Current Page: 4 of 7
How do we STOP LGATs??!?
Posted by: Gulab Jamon ()
Date: January 14, 2006 12:09AM

looking for help
Thanks! Wish I could find this in English. I will find a translator. I need all the help I can get!

I could try to translate it. I just can't promise I'll get around to it soon.

Options: ReplyQuote
How do we STOP LGATs??!?
Date: January 14, 2006 07:48AM

Here is part 1 of the article (Day 1 of Landmark). Sorry for my sloppy translation. I was raised bilingual but don't use my French much anymore.

At home with the gurus in neckties

Nouvel Observateur (French newspaper)
May 19, 2005, by Marie Lemonnier

395 euros for 3 days:

Of American origin, Landmark Education proposes stages of personal “transformation”. For (some) long months, Marie Lemonnier followed incognito the brainwashing of this sectarian (cultish) organization.

Friday, October 17, 2003, 8:45AM. Hôtel Holiday Inn Paris-la Villette. First day of the Landmark Forum.

Two weeks after signing my contract with Landmark Education (LE), absolving the organization from all responsibilities in case of “physical and psychological damage and emotional troubles”, here I am, a new recruit of the Forum with 80 other adults and a handful of adolescents. All have in their heads the fabulous promises of “transformation” and access to “another world” that were made to them. And like me, most have already attended an evening of Landmark presentation. The phrase of Alain Roth, the manager of LE in France, resounds still like an advertising slogan: “I promise you something unique and extraordinary. If you are on the edge of the diving board, take one more step. The water is nice.” Cost of the diving board: 395 euros for 3 ½ days, without a life raft (life saver).

At the entrance of the hotel conference room, two benevolents (volunteers?) distribute the obligatory (required) badges. It will be necessary to conscientiously return them every evening and take them again every morning. An efficient method of controlling the absences or the latenesses and to infantilize you. Inside, a dozen or so benevolent (volunteer) assistants play (pretend to be/impersonate) security guards, ready to pounce if you attempt to take notes, film/take photos or go AWOL. The curtains, completely pulled, do not let in any natural light, “so as not to be disturbed by passersby”, they explain to us. In the middle of a large podium, a pulpit and a director’s chair: the throne of Alain Roth, “one if the 25 best MC's/presenters of the world”, says the interested one.(???)

Look VRP* (this is some sort of managerial job title), alumnus of HEC and with a psychology degree, the 57-year-old manager boasts of having introduced the Landmark “technology” in France. His “show” is perfectly broken in. Written in fact in the notebook placed in front of him. Orchestrated down to the minute and ready at the movement of a chair! (or the closest chair) “This will be hard, very hard,” he announced with a self-satisfied air. Locked up for 3 days, from 9AM to 11:30PM, screwed into our chairs, with a half-hour of respite every 3 hours and only one meal break around 6PM, homework to do at night for the next day and exercises during the breaks, everything is calculated for never letting up on the pressure on the interns (or student teachers), limiting their sleep, reducing their mental capacities.

After a few anecdotes, the serious things start: the apprenticeship (learning) of the landmarkian language. Make a resolution is “inventing a possibility”, understanding something about oneself, “making a breakthrough”, qualities become “major trump cards”, defects are “unauthenticities” and the (mental) blocks of your life “rackets” (“protection rackets?”)… Watch out for the migraine.

Mark no longer even knows what the word “problem” means. Alain Roth calls him to the mike. “I will give you an example. You have cancer, do you have a problem?” Mark’s answer: “Uh, no, I have cancer.” Lost! (Gotten rid of/Dropped!) Mark has so well integrated the idea revealed a few minutes earlier by which “problems are not, but only things happen” (there are no problems, things just happen) that he no longer sees problems anywhere. And it’s useless to formulate the idea that this mumbo-jumbo clouds the thoughts/ideas, Alain Roth will not hesitate to impose his truth: “I’m the boss. So show yourselves to be trainable!” Total submission required. But the absolute weapon of Alain Roth is humor. You ask yourself if you are not in a cult? Any occasion will be good for joking on the subject. “Especially, when going to dinner, don’t forget to take off your badge. Otherwise people will think that you are in a cult!”

Central in Landmark’s methodology, the big moment of confessions into the mike. A public unpacking (unloading/dumping) that can suddenly turn into psychological rape if the coach decides to seat his power by destabilizing the participants. That day, the victim was to be Danielle. A mother who has just talked about her problems with her daughter. The scene is chilling. “You pretend you love her, but are you kidding or what? – Yes, I love her…” Roth barks more loudly: “You are a fuckhead! Really. This is serious, you don’t love her, you love yourself!” She bursts into tears. “Boo…boo…and what’s more, you pass your time whining about yourself! It’s not pretty to see!” “But what do I do with this?”, implores Danielle. “If you want to do something for your daughter, I don’t know, you could commit suicide! No! That’s not good enough. Fuck off! Find a thing (trick) that makes you suffer. Assure yourself that it lasts 20 years and that you die in horrible sufferings. That way you will feel better.” [Now that] he has delivered the death blow, Danielle can leave to go sit down crying. Anesthetized, assistance comes from surviving one’s first game of massacre. Installed in a passive complicity, the interns/student teachers often prefer denying aggression. “It’s for your own good.”

But Alain Roth chooses his scapegoat emissaries, and his teacher’s pets. A young man like Edgar, 25 years old, [in a] white shirt and [with a] good-looking physique, responsible for a humanitarian “ONG” (I don't know what that is) and with a young bride, has the look of an ideal candidate. He came to gain confidence in himself. His trauma: that his father did not defend him when he came back from school, after having his face bashed in (in other words, beaten up).

How do we STOP LGATs??!?
Date: January 14, 2006 08:50AM

OK, here's the rest. Whew! I really should have been doing my work instead of this, but it was fun!

Saturday, October 18, 2003, 9AM.
Second day of Landmark Forum.

A latecomer, a half-hour of sermons. Nobody has slept (snored); the night was short. The rhythm intensifies. Halfway through the day, I barely know what my name is. They have ordered us to write a letter to someone we are close with, whom we love, asking them to forgive us. This beginning of introspection moves me more than I could have predicted. I feel myself let go of my defenses (or, I feel my defenses lose ground) and come back from the break a bit troubled. A new exercise will make me land (touch ground). Alain Roth asks us to close our eyes and think about the two people sitting on either side of us as sources of potential danger. “Let the fear enter your body, into your breathing, into your gut,” he commands. You are trying to escape from yourselves but there is nowhere to go.” Certain people crack. You can hear crying and trembling all around.

I observe a teenager of 15, blond, timid and slightly stammering. Hyper-concentrated, he absorbs the discourse and then goes to the mike to tell of the death of his mother and his pain. Moved by astonishing courage, he volunteers for the exercise for which Alain Roth has the delicacy of asking for the participation of “someone not too stupid “qu’on n’y passe pas des heures,” (no idea what this idiom means, literally it’s something like “for whom the hours don’t go by”), but not too intelligent either!” Roman says he is happy to dare to express himself thanks to the Forum.

Two months later, I find him pale, depressed, with a haggard air. He confesses to having suicidal urges and suffering from recurring nightmares after his time in the Forum. Tonight, his father accompanies him to understand where his son fell. His verdict: “This is the evidence of a cult. The methods employed are dangerous.” Deconstruction (breaking down) of the person/personality, brainwashing, psychological rape without monitoring/support, scenes of collective humiliation, a Molotov cocktail to reduce a sensitive teen to nothingness. Then pound him with “life is empty and senseless”, the ideology at the core of Landmark, you will have a fair amount of chances to obtain (i.e. turn him into) a good candidate for suicide. Alain Roth has repeated it (the slogan above) many, many times. After all, “Aren’t we all going to finish 6 feet underground, with a dog that will come by and piss on our graves?”

Sunday, October 19, 2003, Third day of Landmark Forum

The confession game continues. But for the last day, while a chalkboard reminds us permanently that we must sign up for the advanced course, at a promotional rate (595 euros instead of 695), Alain Roth insists on the importance of enrollment, the only condition for succeeding at one’s transformation. “To unsettle/move/disturb others and make them share your experience will allow you to affirm who you have decided to become.” And then, “If you sincerely love your loved ones, you can not let them miss this, right?”

November 2003 to February 2004.

The Forum in action, 10 sessions of 3 hours.

To assimilate well the doctrine and apply it to one’s life, Landmark proposes a 10-point review of the intensive stage. Difficult to escape from it due to the prodigious telephone hassling, around 4 phone calls per week. What sticks with me: First of all, annoyance due to the repetition of the incitements to recruit and subscribe to other Landmark programs, preferably those where they teach you to be a good enroller (ILP) or to transform you into “benevolents who do everything” (is there a Landmark term for this in English?) for the account (good?) of society (Assistantship).

Edgar, the teacher’s pet, will be very quickly dragged into the spiral of the program, accruing the training. In less than 6 months, rejoined by his wife, his dad and lots of other close friends and less-close friends, he will have blown at least 1500 euros, spent 4 weekends in Amsterdam for the apprenticeship stage of enrollment techniques…”An example for everyone,” according to the co-interns/instructors.

Secondly, a revolt in front of the indoctrination and submission of the participants. One day, Francoise, 60 years old, dared to speak of sexual abuses of which she was a childhood victim. Martha, the coach of the day, retorted that “not all children let themselves be abused.” Faced with the beginning of a rebellion, Martha persisted: “The identity (personality/ego) is set into place at age 2, we bring this into our life, it’s the manner of being that you choose that makes it so that you function or not.” The session is taken back [by Martha], in silence.

May 24, 2004.

“Opinion Piece” on France 3 (television station)

The broadcast of Elise Lucet denounces Landmark Education’s fiscal embezzlements, the abusive use of an army of volunteers (benevolents) and carries [with it] the existence of prosecutions for “abuse of weakness and mental manipulations" into a murder case. The blow is fatal. A few days later, the organization stages a special evening from which Alain Roth has strangely disappeared. Specially arrived from New York, [Ms. S.M.], the spokesperson for Landmark International, responds to interrogations of assistance, split between unrest and and solidarity. Countering the accusations of France 3, she distributes to us a denial/disclaimer that carefully avoids the more sensible/delicate points of reporting. Why such determination by/of the news media? Because: "Landmark Education proposes a "leading edge" pedagogy and, as such, it is more succeptible to be improperly understood compare to others."

June 2004

32, d’Hauteville Street.

The inspection of Work (I think this means an official inspection by the French Department of Labor) disembarks/crashes on the Landmark locations, makes note of the exploitation of volunteers/benevolents and draws up statements/charge sheets for non-declared work. The prosecutions speed up, the vise tightens.

July 2004

The Interns/Student Teachers find the door closed. The French branch of the movement is officially dissolved. Officially, the directors have resumed their activities in London and continue to recruit in France.

May 2005.

Under the form of an ancient (alumni?) association, a “sleeper cell”, that communicates by the way/slant of the internet, the work secretly in France of enrollment of new recruits and attempt to reunite the necessary conditions necessary for rebirth, under a new name, of the dismantled organization… Among them, numerous interns/student teachers who met during the past year at Landmark who persist in not understanding the accusations brought against the society, who feel deprived of a “family” and express their profound regrets of not being able to continue to “bring transformation to people”. “The water is nice”, Alain Roth told us. Those waters, in reality we found them troubled.

Certain names of participants have been changed to protect their privacy.

[edited for spelling and terminology)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/29/2012 09:20PM by rrmoderator.

How do we STOP LGATs??!?
Posted by: midonov123 ()
Date: January 14, 2006 08:28PM

Gulab Jamon
Why such determination by/of the news media? Because “Landmark Education has a pedagogy/educational method of points (?), and as such, is more subsceptible to be misunderstood than others”.

Excellent piece of work! I think you are doing a great servvice to our community.

Here's a little correction and comment:

«Landmark Education a une pédagogie de pointe et, en tant que telle, est plus susceptible que d’autres d’être mal comprise».

I would translate as:

"Landmark Education proposes a "leading edge" pedagogy and, as such, it is more succeptible to be improperly understood compare to others."

Can you believe that!!! Landmark a "leading edge pedagogy" ?!! And it is "improperly understood" !??

It is this kind of totally deceptive talk that infuriates me. The reality is that Landmark has nothing to do with Education (it's not "pedagogy") and those who do not "understand properly" what they're doing are those who get sucked into that cult, period!

I'm glad the French authorities kick them out of their country.

Vive la France !!!

How do we STOP LGATs??!?
Date: January 14, 2006 11:57PM

midonov123
Here's a little correction and comment:

«Landmark Education a une pédagogie de pointe et, en tant que telle, est plus susceptible que d’autres d’être mal comprise».

I would translate as:

"Landmark Education proposes a "leading edge" pedagogy and, as such, it is more succeptible to be improperly understood compare to others."

Merci beaucoup! I confess that sentence had me completely stumped. I bet there were probably some other parts I translated incorrectly becaause they were using Landmark terminology that I don't know the English terms for.

How do we STOP LGATs??!?
Posted by: elena ()
Date: January 15, 2006 03:42AM

Thanks for this.

It sounds even worse (if that's possible) in French that it does in English. Though many of the so-called concepts don't translate, and the over-all message was most likely adapted, it must have been just as emotionally devastating to those vulnerable to suggestion as it is here.

This is an evil group and it turns those working for it into monsters. Using people's psychological pain for commercial and indoctrination purposes should get them tarred, feathered, and run out of town. I don't know why those authorities who concern themselves with these things permit this to go on.

How sad that they are in the position of being protected in the U.S. while Europeans feel no such obligation.

Ellen

How do we STOP LGATs??!?
Posted by: looking for help ()
Date: January 15, 2006 05:31AM

The sad thing is people working for them and trying to get to the "inner circle" really believe they are "helping people".
I am praying my loved one will wake up and am trying as hard as I can to help that.
I am sure if and when that happens some intense therapy is going to be needed!

How do we STOP LGATs??!?
Posted by: sonnie_dee ()
Date: January 15, 2006 02:59PM

The sad thing is people working for them and trying to get to the "inner circle" really believe they are "helping people".

this is it in a nut shell. people want to change the world and they honestly believe that landmark is the way. I know when I was involved I worked very hard to get it into schooling system, believing that it would help self esteem and prevent suicide, funnily enough while overlooking the fact that my own self esteem was taking a big dive as I lost faith in my self.

While you are deeply involved you take the crap day after day and yet you still promote and defend the work of landmark that is how deeply you are brainwashed by these people

How do we STOP LGATs??!?
Posted by: nettie ()
Date: January 15, 2006 04:34PM

I can inform you that Landmark closed their office in Stockholm Sweden after a series of 2 investigative programs that aired in 2003 and 2004.

The programs are available on the web - they are in swedish though.

Media coverage is probably the most effective way to fight LGAT next after legislation :wink:

How do we STOP LGATs??!?
Posted by: looking for help ()
Date: January 15, 2006 11:15PM

So the big question here is how do we get a big media expose' of LE in the US? Or is it true, according to my loved one that "they have all been transformed?" :roll:

Current Page: 4 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.