My wife thinks Landmark is the cause of all her happiness.
Posted by: Vicarion ()
Date: December 13, 2005 07:14AM

My only thought is that the family expressing concerns during the holidays could feel to her like she's being "ganged up on" and could backfire. I would tread gently, but it sounds like she may be thinking, at least.

Posted by: midonov123 ()
Date: December 13, 2005 08:03AM

Ether Dragon
Just a small update. My wife and I went out to dinner with a friend of hers last night. I didn't really know the guy, but my wife has been friends with him for sometime and regards him as a very intelligent person. Landmark eventually came up in the conversation, and after hearing her description and my own concerns, he started asking questions of his own. In the end, despite her best attempts to defend Landmark, he concluded that Landmark was definitely trouble.

She was increasingly upset towards the end, feeling very defensive, and we wrapped up the conversation before it could turn sour. On the whole, I think the discussion was good for her. I certainly hope that it's making her think. Aside from this example, she's also had a couple of friends come forward with their concerns and I know that her family has plans to air their concerns over the holidays when they get together.

The danger now is that she might run for advice, i.e. "coaching", and the coach will find "ready made" answers for her to all the critics she encountered. In this way, she will feel "empowered" and get trapped even further into this cult. If you possibly can, try to take her attention away from Landmark. This is difficult of course because it means taking "control" over her liberties (freedom to speak, to choose, to do whatever she thinks is good for her,...), but actually, this is protecting her from Landmark's overwelming control. She might go to Landmark's Center (is she a volunteer ... or a participant as they call it?), but also "coaching" takes place very effectively over the phone. Can you prevent her from getting calls from her friends at Landmark without infuriating her? This can get very complicated, because those sharks at landmark will not let her go so easily. You will have to fight for her!

Posted by: Ether Dragon ()
Date: December 13, 2005 10:42AM

A couple notes here.
1.) Her Christmas holiday will be spent overseas, so there won't be any way for Landmark to contact her doing that 2 week stint.

2.) My wife has no idea that I'm in contact with her family overseas. I needn't have been, actually. Her phone calls to them since taking the course made them concerned on their own. When I finally contacted them, they stated that they were aware of the situation and had already made plans to try to talk sense into her. My point is simply that it's unlikely that she will think that I somehow got them to gang up on her.

She should get the hint that something about the situation stinks when everyone around her, friends and family, are saying so. My experience so far, however, is that she'll convince herself that we just don't understand how the "positive" changes make her seem different.

Posted by: tywebb ()
Date: December 17, 2005 02:30AM

I have lost my fiancee. She was the perfect woman, but she and her Mom are seriously into landmark. Her Mom has been doing it for 9 years.

I went to the 3 hour family and friends and new right away it was not for me. I was a psych major. Behavioral Neuroscience actually, and it was clear to me that the methodology was clearly designed to manipulate the particpant. Asking to sign up new recruits is just as bad. Her Mom actually hung up the phone on me when I asked why they ask for new recruits as part of homework.

Jessica also told me that if I really loved her and was her life partner, then I would do it. I cannot believe she would use her love as a barganing chip for landmark. It makes me so sick.

I am so sad because I know she will never give it up, and I have lost what was once so very special.

Posted by: Acid Reindeer ()
Date: December 17, 2005 04:07AM

after she had done the Basic Course, my sister phoned me up and tried to use my fear as a way to induce me to go the graduate's meeting. said with a laugh that maybe I could show up and "save" her.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.