Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
My wife thinks Landmark is the cause of all her happiness.
Posted by: Ether Dragon ()
Date: December 09, 2005 12:37PM

I relentlessly debated and presented facts to her this evening. It was the culmination of numerous e-mails laiden with articles, reports, and testimonies from former Landmark members - all agreeing that it is an LGAT/cult. She dismissed it all. She had no answer for why they edit negative articles to sound positive on their website. She had no answer for why government bodies, institutes such as this one, universities, and a large body of of experts from various fields all agree that Landmark uses LGAT and operates in a cult manner.

All she did "know" was that Landmark had helped her find true happiness and a better perspective of herself. She refused any notion of leaving Landmark, for even a few weeks, because she totally believes that they are improving her life - no matter what anyone else has to say. We, us, anyone and any organization, that thinks that Landmark is bad, is wrong and full of fear because they do not understand.

Beyond that, she repeatedly threatened to divorce me if I didn't stop badgering her with this idiocy immediately. I'm passing the word along to her family so they can jump into the fray as well. Divorce doesn't scare me - leaving her in the hands of Landmark does.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: lightwolf ()
Date: December 09, 2005 11:30PM

Ether Dragon
Divorce doesn't scare me - leaving her in the hands of Landmark does.

Hi Ether Dragon,

As hard as it is to hear, you can't take her out of Landmark. You can only show her the way. Whether she stays in the hands of Landmark is, at the end of the day, up to her.

My first of two replies to your post yesterday didn't show up for me until this morning, so you can check there if you missed it.

-lightwolf

Posted by: midonov123 ()
Date: December 10, 2005 04:40AM

Ether Dragon
... she repeatedly threatened to divorce me if I didn't stop badgering her with this idiocy immediately.

You might want to read "Cult Status", the story of a woman who painfully got out of a LGAT similar to Landmark. You will probably recognize many facets of your wife's new personality and especially the citation above. It's a great testimony.
See:
[www.citypages.com]

Posted by: Toni ()
Date: December 10, 2005 04:47AM

ED,
Yes, frustrating. I failed too. As did midonov.
MD- great link!
By definition, brainwashing is not recognized by the person being brainwashed.
Hope you had better luck than we did!
t

Posted by: midonov123 ()
Date: December 10, 2005 04:55AM

Ether Dragon
I relentlessly debated and presented facts to her this evening. It was the culmination of numerous e-mails laiden with articles, reports, and testimonies from former Landmark members - all agreeing that it is an LGAT/cult. She dismissed it all. She had no answer for why they edit negative articles to sound positive on their website. She had no answer for why government bodies, institutes such as this one, universities, and a large body of of experts from various fields all agree that Landmark uses LGAT and operates in a cult manner.

All she did "know" was that Landmark had helped her find true happiness and a better perspective of herself. She refused any notion of leaving Landmark, for even a few weeks, because she totally believes that they are improving her life - no matter what anyone else has to say. We, us, anyone and any organization, that thinks that Landmark is bad, is wrong and full of fear because they do not understand.

Beyond that, she repeatedly threatened to divorce me if I didn't stop badgering her with this idiocy immediately. I'm passing the word along to her family so they can jump into the fray as well. Divorce doesn't scare me - leaving her in the hands of Landmark does.

I want to add that this is another blantant example where landmark's philosophy breaks up relationships. We all know and you know it's the result of Landmark's endoctrination, but you will be "blamed" for breaking up the relationship because you are "resisting". The rethoric then goes on to say that the price you have to pay is to loose hapiness and longevity, and so on...

Because there is no possibility but to join them or to leave them, this is a conclusive evidence that Landmark is really a cult. Someday, somehow, I predict that a drama will happen to some of the managers that are running centers and are responsible for the breaking up love relationships. Such blatant form of deceipt is simply to hard to swallow. As if the First Amendment also confers the right to deceive.

Posted by: Vicarion ()
Date: December 10, 2005 07:26PM

midonov123
I want to add that this is another blantant example where landmark's philosophy breaks up relationships.
I'm not as "invested" as others here because the friends I lost to Landmark were not terribly close to begin with, however virtually without exception, they all left their spouses or significant others within weeks or months of their Forum involvement. Often they moved in with one another. I knew maybe 8 to 12 people who became involved with Landmark. They all seemed to become demanding or dismissive of their prior relationships. They became, in a word, cruel. Further, the Forum philosophy deeply infected the membership of the church I was attending at the time. Of course, it was a Unity church, and Unity is (in)famous for being a church that hasn't met a crackpot teaching it didn't like. It was a big fad for awhile for everyone at Unity to go to Landmark. Between the Landmark Forum and A Course in Miracles study groups, I don't know which is worse. Landmark and ACIM have similar philosophies.

My thoughts and best wishes are with those struggling with with dilemma.

Posted by: lightwolf ()
Date: December 10, 2005 11:25PM

midonov123
I want to add that this is another blantant example where landmark's philosophy breaks up relationships.
I also think it is intentional on Landmark's part. Such "interfaith" relationships with someone outside Landmark are a threat to their control of the inductee/believer. Landmark hides their desire for power by encouraging the New Age pursuit of celebration of self (such outside attachments can only hold you back from achieving your true potential of course!), but it's really about control and power -- for Landmark.

Posted by: Dynamix ()
Date: December 11, 2005 02:06PM

Tactically speaking, it might be best just to drop the subject. If the evidence that you've shown her hasn't convinced her, then what more can words do? If you don't let up she'll just push you further and further away until it destroys your marriage.

Just accept her choice and let the nature take it's course. She'll either get deeper and deeper and try to recruit you more and more aggresively, or she'll eventually see her way out of it. I'm praying for you that she wakes up from the nightmare.

Posted by: Samuel ()
Date: December 12, 2005 07:22AM

Hi, I think you should try getting a copy of Margaret Singers book, "Cults in our Midst, The hidden Menace in Our Everyday Lives." I had to order it because it was out of print. My wife left me last year as a result of another group called PSI. The book was a true eye opener and gives some guidence to help, although it may take time and the chances are you could still lose your wife.

Posted by: Ether Dragon ()
Date: December 13, 2005 06:07AM

Just a small update. My wife and I went out to dinner with a friend of hers last night. I didn't really know the guy, but my wife has been friends with him for sometime and regards him as a very intelligent person. Landmark eventually came up in the conversation, and after hearing her description and my own concerns, he started asking questions of his own. In the end, despite her best attempts to defend Landmark, he concluded that Landmark was definitely trouble.

She was increasingly upset towards the end, feeling very defensive, and we wrapped up the conversation before it could turn sour. On the whole, I think the discussion was good for her. I certainly hope that it's making her think. Aside from this example, she's also had a couple of friends come forward with their concerns and I know that her family has plans to air their concerns over the holidays when they get together.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.