"Christoper Howard Training:" Anyone familiar with this?
Posted by: Rex ()
Date: October 24, 2007 02:40AM

My wife and I have dear friends, a husband and wife, who last year became enamored with the video "The Secret." Soon after, they started attending seminars by Chris Howard, who is evidently an "affiliate" of "The Secret" cabal. They began attending his seminars regularly, which -- according to this couple -- is specifically designed to 'reprogram the mind,' and among other things, includes chanting and running around giving each other High-Fives. They claim Christopher Howard Training has changed their lives, which is great for them. However, now they've informed that if we don't attend a "Free Seminar 3-day Introductory Seminar" (regular value $900!) about Christopher Howard Training, they can no longer be our friends. Pretty bizarre. I've searched the internet, and can find nothing negative about this program, but they way these people have become... well it's all rather cult-like; reminds me a great deal of EST.

(this is a re-post. posted the first time in the wrong forum)

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: "Christoper Howard Training:" Anyone familiar with this?
Posted by: siofra ()
Date: November 16, 2007 12:06PM

Rex-

I can provide you with a little bit, but not much. I attended an intro and a weeklong NLP Practitioner seminar with Chris when he was getting started several years ago. In discussion with him, he indicated that his goal was to become very, very wealthy and he had researched possible venues before deciding on NLP (Neuro Linguistic Programming) as his path to success. He studied (Hawaii if I remember correctly) although he didn't speak to who his NLP teachers were (unusual in a field where lineage is respected).

My impressions were that Chris 1) was, at a core level, a salesman not a personal growth leader, 2) did not always speak truth (e.g. on different occasions I heard him frame stories as his own and as others' experiences), 3) heavily used the NLP mind control techniques he was teaching us to manipulate us, his audiance, 4) had no ethics to impart with the use of the strong techniques he was teaching us to manipulate others - one's personal agenda (usually financial) seemed adequate justification for subconscious manipulation.

After the week long training I was left with a strong sense of distrust of Chris and his organization. I have heard over the years that Chris has polished many of his previously rough edges and is a more appealing package/spin than when I met him. Smoothness or not, I did not have a sense that Chris had the kinds of ethics that would make him someone I would want to learn from. I decided than that if I ever wanted to go further with NLP I would retake the Practitioner level training with someone I respected more before continuing further. (As of now, I have not had an urge to continue this type of training although I now have a deep respect for how I CAN be manipulated.)

Chanting and high fives sound out of contect...sounds a bit like a football rally and nothing by itself. The friends' ultimatium is clearly a red flag although whether the culprit is Chris or your friends' zealot embracing of Chris's training is unclear.

Good luck reconnecting with your friends when this phase of their lives is over.... I hope something I have shared proves helpful to you. I'm sorry I don't have more to offer.

Warm wishes,
Siofra

Posted by: Rex ()
Date: November 20, 2007 04:56AM

Siofra, thanks for the helpful info.

The only communication we've received from our former friends, since we received their ultimatum, have been a couple of emails, reminding us that it still isn't too late to register for the "FREE" 3-day seminar -- and to be sure and use their names when registering (so they'll get their Christopher Howard Brownie Points, I suppose); in other words, there's still an opportunity to "salvage" our friendship. Under those terms, I say "No thanks."

Posted by: buffman ()
Date: November 13, 2009 08:32AM

Christopher Howard is a Tony Robbins clone. He uses all the high-tech manipulation techniques he can find to sell overpriced seminars while customers are in trance or mania or both.

Here's another forum thread about him:
[forum.culteducation.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.