Date: July 03, 2007 08:39PM

Sorry.

Options: ReplyQuote
Mankind project
Posted by: ginah ()
Date: July 04, 2007 12:20AM

midwest.momma
Sorry.

I did not see an email address?? Anyway, midwest.momma, have you read through the postings? You will find a lot of info in regards to MKP. If you are interested after your ten postings I can send you a copy of the NWTA manual, gutz manual, I-Group suggested activities and more if you are interested.

Mankind project
Posted by: unresolved ()
Date: July 04, 2007 01:46AM

I've tried to post two longer entries, but I was apparently timed out, so I'll be brief. The converted of the MKP see the entire process as being painful but necessary path to becoming authentic. It is based on discredited theories of psychology of a mostly Freudian bent (e.g. childhood trauma as root of all adult problems). People who have been victimized are seen as suffering from the painful truth that was unveiled by the work, and not as people who have been wronged by the actions of the MKP facilitators. The idea that transformation of a person has to occur in an authoritative fashion is never questioned.

Mankind project
Posted by: midwest.momma ()
Date: July 08, 2007 10:12PM

Ginah,

I've posted two replies, but I must have timed out on them, so I'll make this quick. I am still waiting to get my required posts in so I can communicate directly with you. Thanks for answering--and yes, this thread has been so informative, but it takes me hours to go through it.

Just log back in. Backspace to your post. It should still be there and you can post it.

EZ[/color:02a74fe4a9]

Mankind project
Posted by: Silmeran ()
Date: July 18, 2007 04:15AM

I went to the NWAT last October, and had a really good experience. I was put off by the initial military scare tactic and almost left, but I ended up meeting a lot of good men and working through some issues surrounding my sexuality and my faith. I went to the I-group training and was part of group for about 4 months. But I am a private person. I like to tell things about myself and my problems in my own time, and I eventually just got fed up with how long and boring the group was each time we gathered. I don't attend any of there events anymore but still hold a number of the men as friends.

My mother was the one who initially had me go, and she attended the "Woman Within" weekend a few months after I went to the NWTA. I can see how the MKP could be seen as a cult, and there practices can be seen that way. But mostly I just found it an attempt to bring men together so they cna support each other.

I can see how someone could become addicted to the organization, and it has its issues, but mostly it seems pretty harmles. A little stuffy and secretive, but not any worse than a really good social fraternity.

Oh and it did a lot of good things for my relationship with my family and my mother. I was in a depression before going and it helped open my eyes and show me that I have no reason to be ashamed or feel guilty about anything I have done in the past. So over all, I feel sympathy for the wives who have husbands that are becoming distant because of there involvement with MKP. But I highly reccomend that if it is affecting your relationship with your spouse, son, father, brother...that you seek some councilling and ask that you both be able to talk openly.

I know that one of the fears I had with talking with my mom after the weekend was that I wasn't quite sure we could talk and speak on the same language. But I finally did and we had a great conversation and even now we can talk without screaming at each other like we used to.

And so you all know, I neither endorse nor condemn MKP or th NWTA weekend. I just think that for some people it works better than others.

Mankind project
Posted by: rrmoderator ()
Date: July 18, 2007 04:18AM

Silmeran:

What do you think about the people actually hurt by the MKP?

Did you read this entire thread?

What do you think about the way everything is scripted and manipulated with so much secretive undisclosed planning?

Isn't that just a bit creepy?

Mankind project
Posted by: Rswinters ()
Date: July 18, 2007 04:20AM

[/quote]Just log back in. Backspace to your post. It should still be there and you can post it.

EZ[/color:b7bcfbff62]

I can't get this to work. Is there a trick to it?

Mankind project
Date: July 18, 2007 04:21AM

Rswinters
Just log back in. Backspace to your post. It should still be there and you can post it.

EZ[/color:e2af2317ca]

[/quote]

Mankind project
Date: July 18, 2007 04:23AM

Rswinters
Rswinters

EZ[/color:aed6a04339]

[/quote]

Oops. I can't even do quotes right...lol

So, it may be user error on my part. Anyone care to help me out in figuring this out?

Mankind project
Posted by: Silmeran ()
Date: July 18, 2007 04:46AM

I think the MKP is basically a good idea. And I can understand the careful scripting. When you go to see a trained Psycho-therapist everything is designed to be neutral and for them to find out more about you, they have specific questions and most are trained so that any break-throughs you have during a session are brought about through leading questions. Its the same for most things, in order to get the desired reaction, even if it is positive and benefits the person, you usually have to do a LOT of planning and prescript it so it will happen that way.

I think that is why MKP is so careful, they are trying to get each man to think in a different way, to have a different worldview, even if it is for a moment. Its trying to stop, for one moment, the outside pressures of the world and a man's obligations and problems, so that he can think without any burden about what he wants for his life. I can see where that feeling of being "free" can be extremely addicting.

If I had been raised in a very strict Christian household, I might have had more hangups about myself and my sexuality, as it was, the weekend allowed me to reconnect with my faith and get over the internalized shame about my homosexuality. And YES, there are a lot of gay men in MKP, but I think it is because so many of them have no other way to interact with heterosexual men in a safe, non-threatening way.

What I found and took form MKP was an understanding that i shouldn't let society dictate what I believe, nor should i let the MKP dictate that either.

Current Page: 75 of 114

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.