Current Page: 33 of 114
Mankind project
Posted by: Anidawehi ()
Date: July 27, 2006 11:51PM

Firethorne
Interestingly, I think the whole purpose of these "Boards" could use a thorough re-examining by all of its users. My take thus far (and this is true of most of the net - not just here) is that nobody is convincing nobody. The anti-MKP folks cannot be convinced that MKP is anything other than what they think it is, and the pro-MKP camp continues to try to prove that despite some warts, they are not contributing to the ultimate downfall of society and marriage.

Actually, I think that some true "rigorous," "honest," and "civil" (in your words) debate is going on here--maybe not in every post, but in many. For instance, FrankD and I have been debating for a week or two and he has actually made me re-think my position on several points, has helped me to fine tune my points, and has changed my opinion on several points. (For example, in my last post, I admitted that I do not think the mkp is "preoccupied" with money (as I now understand the word "preoccupied" to mean. In fact our discussion led me to look up the word in the first place. Consequently, as a by-product of this discussion, he reminded me that it's diffucult to make logical claims based on words we may fully understand. So thanks FrankD! :))

Nobody seems to be listening and everyone appears to be talking.

I would agree that a few on this board may not be listening and are talking more than they are listening, but I don't think that is the norm. I feel that Frank, SeekTruth, and Feldspar have listened to me. So perhaps some people are in fact listening more to those with whom they may disagree on some things. For example, no one who fully agrees with me has patted my back and said "good job." Instead, I am engaged by those who want to me to share my opinion further. So IMO there are some good listeners (readers) and some engaging talkers (writers) on this board. And thanks to all of you that contribute (including you Firethorne).

Nobody wins. Nobody.

Wins what? I'm not here to win something, not even a debate. I am hear to learn. So I am unsure what you are suggesting here.

MKP will always be Evil.

MKP will always be Good.

Actually, you seem to be getting a bit dramatic here. There are too many to list here who have admitting that mkp is not 100% good or evil.

Why are you hating so much on this group? I guess I am unsure as to why you cannot see the positives in this group--or are we 100% evil? ;-)

Just poking fun. Hope you stay for the discussion. Take care.

Options: ReplyQuote
Mankind project
Posted by: Anidawehi ()
Date: July 28, 2006 12:08AM

Hi, Ginah.

Good questions. I don't understand this either. And your surgery analogy is an interesting one. No, I certainly wouldn't allow unlicensed strangers to do emotional surgery on me. But I think with some men, they do not have the emotional support that many women enjoy with their girlfriends. However, my husband has found it difficult to open up to his male friends in the same way. And being the counselor that he is, he is more comfortable than most men in sharing his feelings. Thus, he was hoping that this group of "integrity" could provide that outlet for him. Although he at first thought they did, that "honeymoon' period soon wore off. After all, they were strangers to him. And they were not licensed to do the work they were doing. And they did not empower him, instead coerced him.

But I think that it takes men outside of the mental health field a longer time to realize these issues, along with the host of other issues mentioned on this board. (Has he read any of this forum? I know my hubby has read all the posts and they have been helpful for him to sort out his impressions of mkp and to come to his decision to no longer continue with the group. He just isn't as vocal as I am.) I think to be supportive of him, you should ask him about his reasons for attending the weekend. Find out what you can do to be supportive of him in his emotional journey. Encourage him to explore other venues (preferable lisenced and accredited) for helping him gain what it is he was hoping mkp would help him with. Hope this helps, and good luck.

ginah
I guess I do not understand the ??lack of respect?? for these forms of therapy by people. This is not a great example but as close as I can think of. It seems to me, that allowing men or women, who have no real training in these therapies to "play with your mind", would be like going to a "Dr." who has had a weekend workshop to do surgery on you. Would you let someone who is not licensed to "diagnose", "do surgery" etc on you? If not, why would you let someone who is not licensed to "diagnose, "do surgery (emotionally), etc on you? Going and talking to your friends is not the same. The NWTA weekend obviously (per what I have read and per what my husband has told me), has men doing some very intense therapy with each other. I would be afraid to have someone not trained doing these forms of "therapy/education" on me as it seems it could be detrimental to your health.

If I am wrong with this thinking please let me know as I am trying to understand MKP better so I can be more supportive of my husbands needs. He has become much more "himself" and is no longer abusive as he was the first couple months after his NWTA weekend. We have talked much about this and his thinking is that he was going through a form of a "learning curve". In a way this makes since to me but still feel some
?confusion/pain/anger? in regards to his emotional status that first couple of months.

ginah
Thank you Anidawehi for replying. I kind of thought that was the case but was not for sure and did not know how to put it into words. Now, with education such an issue within this country, I still don't get how MKP can legally "claim" to be educational when they are clearly doing therapy work. Seems like a loophole within the therapy vs educational laws.

Anidawehi
ginah
What makes MKP Educational instead of Therapeutic? Are their certain guidlines that has to be followed to be regarded as Therapeutic instead of Educational? Is it just MKP making that judgement? I would be interested in further understanding the distinction between the two. Especially, as for me, when I read their manuals it points me in the direction of MKP being Therapeutic more than Educational.
Thank You

I agree, ginah. It certainly appears that mkp is doing so pretty intense therapy based on Jungian and Gestalt theories. However, in order for the group to claim that they are doing therapy, they must go through a licensing and accreditation process, and they simply do not have the training to do so.

Now, I'm not a therapist, but my hubby is, and this is the issue to the best of my recollection. The mkp leaders themselves would all have to get clinical psychology or social work degrees and take the state licensing test and pass it to become licensed to claim to do therapy. Further, the mkp organization would have to go through the state (and sometimes local) mental health accreditation boards to ensure that they are meeting the minimum requirements for safe and ethical mental health treatment (and that their records are indicating proper diagnosis, treatment, and after-care). Also, psychiatrists must review and sign off on all treatment done by therapists without an independent licensure, which takes at least a graduate degree, about 5 years of supervised treatment, and another test.

Even though some mkp leaders may have mental health backgrounds, they cannot meet the rigors of state licensure and accreditation to legitamize their "treatment." Thus, the mkp could be held legally (thus, criminally) liable for claiming any sort of therapeutic benefit, as they do not have the credentials to be engaging in mental health therapy. Thus, they must label what they are doing as "educational," as anyone with a knowledge of something can educate another on whatever it is they may know (or think they know). However, as an educator with an advanced degree, I find this problematic, as the mkp should also be skilled in proper educational techniques if they truly believe what it is they are teaching and want to do a good job at it (and I mean training done by licensed educators, not just in-house training). And I don't recommend this just for mkp, but any others who plan on educating others. And my first recommendation for mkp is to recognize that a one-size-fits-all LGAT approach is not the most effective way to educate--nor does it promote independent and critical thinking. Any educational model research in the last 30 years will tell them that. So perhaps mkp needs to do more research on effective educational techniques? ;-)

Thanks for your question. mkp's slippery rhetoric here goes unnoticed by many.
[/quote]

Mankind project
Posted by: frank_d ()
Date: July 28, 2006 08:07AM

Anidawehi
Actually, I think that some true "rigorous," "honest," and "civil" (in your words) debate is going on here--maybe not in every post, but in many. For instance, FrankD and I have been debating for a week or two and he has actually made me re-think my position on several points, has helped me to fine tune my points, and has changed my opinion on several points. (For example, in my last post, I admitted that I do not think the mkp is "preoccupied" with money (as I now understand the word "preoccupied" to mean. In fact our discussion led me to look up the word in the first place. Consequently, as a by-product of this discussion, he reminded me that it's diffucult to make logical claims based on words we may fully understand. So thanks FrankD! :))
And you have gotten me to re-think some of my understanding of MKP too. So Thank YOU also :)

Mankind project
Posted by: Jwills ()
Date: August 03, 2006 05:12AM

Hello all,

My name is Jason and I am currently an active member of Mankindproject Houston where i serve on the advisory board of directors for the Houston section. I am 23 years old and I am a recovering Alcoholic and Drug addict.

Mankind project is a non-profit asscation so of course it books are open for the public to see by law. I know the houston divison is not making millions LOL!!! To talk a little about the cost i paid 100.00 and got the rest scholarshiped because i could not afford the training. We have no "leaders" that tell us what to do" There are only 30000 men on the planet that have done this training. Any person can leave at anytime and some do and thats thier choice and I respect that. Its not for them. the quotes out of the training manuals are taken so far out out context i was laughing. Mankind project has no ulterior motives and the chirman of the project is a very humble man in all aspects, and definetely doesnt make million (LOL) thats just funny!!! If anyone has anymore questions please email...

I probably wouldnt belive me though I am under intense mind control!!!!
and y LEADER told me to send this!!!

Honestly check the books out you'll see the millions that are made!!!!

Jason
jasonwillis711@gmail.com

Mankind project
Posted by: cb1000rider ()
Date: August 03, 2006 06:44AM

Jwills
Mankind project is a non-profit asscation so of course it books are open for the public to see by law. I know the houston divison is not making millions LOL!!!

How many people go through NWTA in Austin per year?

Jwills
To talk a little about the cost i paid 100.00 and got the rest scholarshiped because i could not afford the training.

Just so we don't deflect here, do most people pay $100 or are they charged more for the training?

Jwills
We have no "leaders" that tell us what to do"

What purpose does the board of directors serve if they don't provide overall guidence for the organization?
Is there an *executive* director position?

Jwills
There are only 30000 men on the planet that have done this training. Any person can leave at anytime and some do and thats thier choice and I respect that.

Does MKP make it difficult for men to choose to leave?
That is, do men typically arrive to NWTA in their own vehicles?
Do the leaders for that weekend typically allow them to give up?

I wouldn't say that anyone is physically forced to stay. Are you willing to say that it is easy to leave the NWTA or disengage from MKP in general?

Jwills
I probably wouldnt belive me though I am under intense mind control!!!!
and y LEADER told me to send this!!!

I don't believe mind control either... However, you if you read anything here, you might check out the concepts of LGAT and coercive persuasion - you'll come to find out that *other* groups with less altrustic intentions typically use some of the same methods of initiation and that there is a psychological basis for the experience that people go through.

Jwills
Honestly check the books out you'll see the millions that are made!!!!

At $600 a pop, it would take 1666 people going through the NWTA to make a million.
Everything I've read says that the BOD at MKP is moderately paid at best, the highest paid member making around $75k (if I recall correctly) - that's nationwide. People pay to staff. I'd never accuse MKP directors of getting rich, at least not via the tax returns I've seen, but NWTA is expensive... MKP Houston has been "outted" a bit by having their process for recruiting donations disclosed - they were going after donations from members based on the value of homes. Illegal? No! Unethical? Borderline... But certainly not the sort of thing you want to be disclosed if the goal of an organization is to help individuals... Outside of public disclosures, it sure looks like there is a good basis for income going somewhere.
Also, I *thought* that MKP had a goal to build a large center, multi-million dollar? No such goal exists?

Mankind project
Posted by: Ivy ()
Date: August 04, 2006 03:48AM

Jason, every MKP member says the same thing. They can leave at anytime, because that is what they tell you, to make you feel as if your incontrol.
Did you try to leave? Were you carpooled?
Did you witness anybody who did? Did you see with your own eyes if they were belittled or quilted into staying?? I wonder who approached you to join??? And did they ask you if you could help pay for the next guy in the future? (Not all the money but say half? for the next guy? I quotes are copied so they are not taken out of context and do the books tell you step by step how you conduct your meetings? How long have you been it this group? Have you been encourage to take more training? "You probably will be a great warrior" And their are leaders, they are called the Elders! You still have much to learn The questions above are very simple, yes and no type questions, although I feel you will try to justify them!
Ivy

Mankind project
Posted by: what2do ()
Date: August 04, 2006 09:24PM

Jason, I was wondering how you feel about the fundraising tactics Houston uses. Do you agree with searching property values before going to a man and asking him for money. Thanks for the email address, but I would like you to answer on the forum so it can be open for discussion.

Mankind project
Posted by: ginah ()
Date: August 04, 2006 10:02PM

Jwills, I was wondering how you feel about the basic lies of omissin that MKP uses when recruiting new members and how you consider this as being an honest person in your life?

Mankind project
Posted by: ginah ()
Date: August 10, 2006 12:11AM

ginah
Jwills, I was wondering how you feel about the basic lies of omissin that MKP uses when recruiting new members and how you consider this as being an honest person in your life?

hhmmm, I guess the above question, if they changed their tactics, would mean they would have to be......HONEST!

Mankind project
Posted by: help_us ()
Date: August 10, 2006 02:20AM

Jwills, how about some answers to these very simple and direct questions that have been posed to you?

MKP, Secretive? Must be....

Current Page: 33 of 114

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.