Current Page: 27 of 114
Mankind project
Posted by: dukeoswald ()
Date: July 22, 2006 03:31AM

SeekTruth
I'm new here, and see a few threads on MKP, so not really sure what each is for this is the longest so I am starting here

I monitor the ex_mkp Yahoo group (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ex_mkp/) and find it quite useful

the only problem is the moderator is too controlling about what gets said by whom, and that really limits what that forum could really be, a help to all

That moderator isn't just interested in the discussion that goes on within the forum, but also tends to get involved in emails that pass between members. He openly states that certain lines of opinions are not tolerated. It's a forum where open debate is not allowed. It's a forum designed to expose the damage that MKP does to men, not share positive experiences or debate the issue. It's a "I've been harmed by MKP" support group. It seems to have a large membership, but opinions are extensively moderated.

To me, this forum seems to be well run and *seems* to allow opinions from both sides of the fence as long as they are respectful.

There is a new yahoo group (low membership) that will be open to discussing both sides of the MKP issue. All points of view and opinions are tolerated. Posts are not moderated for content nor will they be unless they are personally insulting:

[groups.yahoo.com]

If you want to flame MKP and have your mind made up that MKP does no good for anyone, I'd suggest that you join as mentioned above.
[groups.yahoo.com]

If you're interested in perspective from both sides, this forum or the new yahoo forum opened above is probably a more balanced place to have that discussion. MKPOPEN is not pro-MKP nor is it anti-MKP. It's a place to discuss the issues and allows members that are currently or have been involved in MKP in the past. Not all MKP members (or ex members) are happy with the internal issues, not all non-members think MKP is a cult. There is a place for a less moderated more balanced discussion for those with open minds.

Options: ReplyQuote
Mankind project
Posted by: frank_d ()
Date: July 22, 2006 08:47AM

Thanks for the link. I checked it out. Like Mod, I never said mkp is a cult, but a LGAT. I did say that mkp has cult-like tendencies, but not enough to be considered a cult. By quoting the resource you linked, we can see some cult-like tendencies.
I hope I was clear that I know the moderator has NEVER called MKP a cult? It's because of that fact that I give this board my respect. You can have a balanced discusion here if you are willing to 'control yourself' and not get overly hyper or abusive.

Kudos to everyone for maintaining civility and self control :)

And I can see the LGAT similarities myself and I am willing to agree that the group has that tendency.

The group is preoccupied with bringing in new members.

The group is preoccupied with making money.

These appear to be present given my hubby's expereince, as well as many ex-mkp'ers' experiences shared on this board.
Well, what should we use to 'define' 'preoccupied'? In some organizations I am aware of like Sci****, it seems like getting drink of water has a fee associated with it. I would call that 'preoccupied'.

If you go to AA meetings every meeting has a time for a treasurers report. And during the meeintg there will be a collection. If the collection doesn't generate enough money to pay the rent, there will often be a statement made and another collection to try to make up the difference. Is that 'preoccupied'?

My daughter is in Girl Scouts. Pretty much everything you do has some sort of fee - from a couple dollars to $50 or more for weekend campouts. Money is discussed in every meeting. Is that 'preoccupied'.

In MY EXPERIENCE with MKP, we were told the importance of donating money in order to help the organization (like Girl scouts and AA does) and helpng other men with scholarships and various other reasons. That is pretty much the only time I have seen anyone ask for money.

Classes and seminars cost money but then, why shouldn't they? Someone has to pay for the room, and the person who is teaching the class can surely ask to be paid can't they?

I-Group meetings can cost money if they have to pay for the place where the meeting is being held. Like AA does. I have seen I-Groups at people houses and they are free.

And as far as beng preoccupied with bringing in new members, what constitutes 'preoccupied' as opposed to a normal 'membership drive'?

I would say that men are not punished, but groupthink is used, as well as activity-packed weekends that do not allow for much time to question, reflect, doubt, etc. Men are kept too busy and are not provided the proper nourishment, rest, and alone time to make independent and rational decisions.
But unless they have lots of free time and money, most men would only go to the weekend ONCE. Now, in the groups I could see the 'groupthink' attitude but I would ask "if you were a member of any other 'club' (Knights of Columbus, Freemasons) wouldn't THEY have their own 'groupthink? If you started to oppose their ideals and traditions you'd be disliked too.

Try telling an AA member that you think AA is religious and see if they will still talk to you.

MKP is elistist in that the rhetoric both on their websites, doctrine, and during the weekends all suggest that these men are the ones who "get it"--who live in integrity. And those who do not come back to the group just "didn't get it" or refuse the "gifts" of the MKP. But I don't think that MKP goes as far at the quote above suggests.
I agree with this. I don't think it is an indicator of them being any different that other 'special' organizations.

The group has a polarized us- versus-them mentality, which causes conflict with the wider society.
From my husband's experience, this did happen to some extent on his weekend, with the those who get it vs. those who don't rhetoric. And the leaders also warned their new recruits that they may no longer fit in with their outside world after such a weekend, as those on the "outside" would not get it and mmen on the outside are not as "enlightened," which consequently promotes and us vs. them mentality and suggests that the new intiates may feel more comfortable fraternizing with mainly mkp men.
ok, now I have been to 'be your own businessman' seminars and other seminars where they are teaching you new ways of thinking and problem solving. They all tell you that 'You are the ones who get it'. Why is that bad? We do 'get it' because we've seen a part of ourselves that most men never see.

It may 'suggest' to initiates that they may only 'feel comfortable' with other MKP men but realistically, onlythe one who had no life when they came to MKP will exit their 'current life' and friends.

Which brings me to another point. One of the issues I see is that the REALLY hurting or messed up men who go to the weekend will walk out with friends where there were none before. SOme people would see that as them becoming obsessed with MKP and say 'they were brainwashed!'

But are they? There's one person who posts somewhere else whose 'friend' was always depressed, went to MKP weekend, and now he is very involved in MKP so he must have been brainwashed! COuldn't it be that he just finally got some self esteem and also met a group who would accept him and men who would be his friends? Is that so hard to believe?

Why would we deny him that? His life sucked before then. Surely therapy and anti-depressants were not working. I'm not saying he IS or IS NOT being 'controlled'. I'm just saying 'how can we make that conclusion with the evidence we've been presented with?'

hus, they justify some of the abusive activities via "the end justifies the means" mentality. And like many mkp'ers have said on these boards, they would probably not have gone to the weekend had they known about these processes/activities beforehand.
I would not have gone. I would have thought they were silly or weird. But afterwards I was glad I went. I didn't like the few times my beliefs or attitude was 'challenged' but in hindsight it was like 'tough love'. Meaning their 'goal' wasn't to beat me up, it was to make me feel and think.

If their goal was to BE abusive it would continue the whole weekend. It did not.

Anidawehi, thanks for your very informative analysis. It got me to think about some things. I have an interesting observation. I noticed that in your last post you were trying to find SOMETHING MKP does that you could apply to the 'cult description'? Several were really good and some were comments as if you felt you had to find 'something' to fit the description. As in:

The group is focused on a living leader to whom members
seem to display excessively zealous, unquestioning
commitment.

Don't really see this w/this group, although many members have an unquestioning commitment to the group.
You didn't 'see it' yet you stil had to say SOMETHING to try to support the charachteristic.

The reason I made this observation is that I find myself doing it too! I find myself often trying to find SOMETHING to REBUKE what has been said EVEN if I know it's a very valid point. I need to be more aware of that so I can stop myself in the future. Fair and Balanced ;)

Thanks for your point of view, I do agree with a lot of it.

frank

Mankind project
Posted by: Ivy ()
Date: July 22, 2006 01:23PM

Pretty much anyone is allowed in the ex mkp yahoo group! Unless you email the folks there with a criminal report of Rick Ross, as one person did, or if you try to say we are all liers! Perhaps you are the one?? Seems you just joined here? If we are angry, well when you are flat out lied too, we have the right to be angry!!!!

We at least leave the board open to join, and you dont have to be a member like you do if you go to the Mankind project site!

Isn't it a shame, a man who is interested in the MKP
can't even find out what may or may not happen to him in his own back yard, geeze All I know is if I was going to join a group, and could not get any true information and then happen to stumble onto this site and the yahoo site and found it to be negative, I would truley wonder??????
Ivy

Mankind project
Posted by: dukeoswald ()
Date: July 22, 2006 01:53PM

Ivy
Pretty much anyone is allowed in the ex mkp yahoo group! Unless you email the folks there with a criminal report of Rick Ross, as one person did, or if you try to say we are all liers! Perhaps you are the one?? Seems you just joined here? If we are angry, well when you are flat out lied too, we have the right to be angry!!!!

We at least leave the board open to join, and you dont have to be a member like you do if you go to the Mankind project site!

Ivy,
You have the right to be angry! I'm not calling you a liar or saying that any of your statements are untrue. MKP lied and deceived me also.

I will dispute your post that says I'm not telling the truth however:
Please tell me what I stated that isn't true.
The yahoo group does allow anyone to join, although membership is has to be approved. My point is - and I'm reiterating what "SeekTruth" said - it is [b:21dbc83836]*NOT*[/b:21dbc83836] an open forum for discussion. If you have any doubts about what it is, or if you think that open discussion is tolerated, simply ask the moderator... He'll set you straight. Perhaps you didn't catch the membership modifications or the moderator making it perfectly clear that HE owns that group and will do with it as he chooses. It's a place where people can go that have been harmed by MKP to find support, not discuss the issues. I have no problem with that, but I think a lot can be gained from a more open forum.

MKP is LGAT, I have no doubt... I'm simply saying that if you're interested in learning about both sides of the coin and hearing experiences from men that are currently involved - and from those that are no longer involved in MKP, the ex-mkp group doesn't typically tolerate alternate views. I'm not promoting a pro-MKP forum, I'm promoting a more reasonable balance. I don't know about you, but for most issues I try and find a balance and not just listen to one side of the story. I tend to learn more that way...

Yes, I did post about Rick Ross' criminal background. I found it to be an interesting piece of public information. Clearly he's been an advocate of cult deprogramming and has taken great personal risks to move forward with that agenda.. It seems to have cost him a lot. It's strange you didn't mention that I offered to research the criminal histories of any men involved in MKP leadership and post those as a matter of public record...
How about a little balance in your statements? Again, I'd like you to point out what I have said that isn't true.

Mankind project
Posted by: Ivy ()
Date: July 22, 2006 11:19PM

Sure I would join to see what you have to say about the MKP but It seems that we either get the mkp boasting about how great they are and never answer our questions and then try to justify why they lie, or say they never did!

I would love some of the MKP views, But ever time I get close. They either quit the forum, or don't answer. Maybe you will be better apt. to get the answer! Here are a few of mine?

How many of the men are Indian? How many after the weekend, feel they were not in a place where they wanted and feel there marriage started to go sour!
How many are gay?
How much has each man feel they have spent on this after group after the weekend?

Do you or don't you feel that the MKP uses other religious

beliefs to make the men feel spiritual connected? Do you think it is right?

Do you think if ok to play with the minds of other! The MKP will State over and over that they do not, but that is what the whole thing is about! Having men find crap in there past, and their brothers are supposed to heal them!

So you see where the therapy never ends? Where there is carpet work after carpet and shadow after shadow?

How on earth is this good for anybody! If they want to vent they could just blog, at least some so called brother will not act to be your best buddy, that is until you decide to leave. Then they say they never left you (You left them)!

I personally dont care about Rick Rosses Background as long as I can go and post and read what actually happens, ex. guts manual!

You stated that you could not look up the backgrounds of

your fellow MKPers because you were not one anymore and do not have a list! Well I can get you one! Lets check their criminal background. I wonder how many of them are on the sexual criminal list?

And do you feel your site will be the truth and nothing but the truth, or a lot of skirting?

To say that ex site goes only one was is not true, I have seen both side on his site

He is the Mod. and just like the Mod. here things may or may not allowed to be posted!

But I will try to give a little space to see the other side! I suppose I am just not very trusting! And rightfully so dont you think?
Ivy

Mankind project
Posted by: SeekTruth ()
Date: July 23, 2006 09:24PM

Duke, thanks for creating this group, agree totally about the ex-mkp Yahoo group, it is far too constrained.

I'm not flaming here but experssing what I think is an important opinion in that someone like Ivy's comments are rarely of substance or even intelligible, but are permitted in ex-mkp where other more useful contributors such as yourself, Platinum, Jasmal, Steve, an the like are constantly chastised.

Anidawehi I owe you a reply but have not had the chance to give it the consideration it deserves, it is coming. This was to show support for Duke's effort and free speech. I will join that group and recommend other do as well.

Thanks again to the RR forum for being here and being fair.

Mankind project
Posted by: help_us ()
Date: July 24, 2006 12:56AM

SeekTruth
I'm not flaming here but experssing what I think is an important opinion in that someone like Ivy's comments are rarely of substance or even intelligible, ...

Not flaming???? What you say about Ivy is rude and disrespectful.

Mankind project
Posted by: frank_d ()
Date: July 24, 2006 03:12AM

help_us
Not flaming???? What you say about Ivy is rude and disrespectful.

True, he should have taken the higher ground and not singled her out like he did. It is better to make an observation like:

"On the 'ex_mkp' list there are 'some people' whose comments are often come across as just rants, and it is difficult to find their 'point' except 'anger'. I've seen some of the postings on that list that fit this description, especially the ones that contain lot's of "!!!!!!!!!!!". Many people seem to just want to express their anger and rage, not discuss anything"

And then let other observers discover for themselves who fits that description.

To me, the most annoying thing in any groups discussion is the people who speak in absolutes, as in "all MKP weekends starve you, sleep deprive you and play music and drum beating nonstop".

Well, that wasn't the case on MY MKP weekend yet if you were to make that statement you are usually told by these people that YOU are brainwashed and don't even know it, followed by the 'list' of all the evil things MKP does to you on the weekend as if it is an unchangeble set of 'facts' and you are stupid and "just don't get it". Your experience and opinion is completely discounted as if it never happened.

Where is the 'respect' in those kinds of statements?

My comments are not meant in any way to be 'flames' but an observation of the attitudes and behaviors of those who are 'anti-MKP'. I have observed several instances of certain members personally attacking the pro-MKP poster as 'stupid' 'brainwashed' and other things.

And unlike the moderator HERE at RickRoss.com, the other moderator will OFTEN be the one making those statements. This is a fact.

Conversely those who are 'pro-MKP' or 'neutral' seem to promote discussion and leave out the personal side of things MOST of the time.

The 'ex_mkp' groups postings are private and non-members cannot see what is discussed. Yet it has been said here that they are an 'open' board and 'anybody can join'. Which is it?

But THIS BOARD (culteducation.com) doesn't seem to feel they need that 'secrecy' that MKP is accused of.

Again, these are meant as OBSERVATIONS, not flames. I think it is valid, and part of the discussion of the MKP organization, to observe and understand the 'messengers' on both sides in order to be able to better evaluate the validity of each of their claims.

Mankind project
Posted by: Anidawehi ()
Date: July 24, 2006 04:37AM

frank_d

It's because of that fact that I give this board my respect. You can have a balanced discusion here if you are willing to 'control yourself' and not get overly hyper or abusive.

Kudos to everyone for maintaining civility and self control :)

Thanks, FrankD. Appreciate it. I think that this group is pretty balanced overall as well. And thanks for your thoughtful responses. Your posts contribute to that balance.

And I can see the LGAT similarities myself and I am willing to agree that the group has that tendency.

Cool. Then we agree. And, again, I am not saying that mkp is a cult. I was just trying to illustrate my point that mkp has some cult-like tendencies via the helpful link you shared with us--just for the sake of a productive discussion that may help us all to better understand the differences between cults and LGATs, and where mkp fits. And like I posted before, I didn't tend to the LGAT characteristics since rrmod has done such a good job of that. Just thought I'd take up the framework your link offered to see how it fits with mkp. And with all that analysis, I still don't see mkp as a cult. Just offered some food for thought in seeing some cult-like tendencies, which any organized group may show some signs of if adversely managed.

I think you make some good points in your responses, and I agree with many of your points, but perhaps I could tease out a few distinctions. I think that the money that certain groups like the Girl Scouts is "precoccupied" with making is primarily so the group can continue to run its functions (e.g., food & lodging for girl scout camp) is different that the money that some chapters of the mkp is making. I have been in girl scouts and have also helped to run a chapter, and I never made a salary, nor have any volunteers in the chapers I belonged to, nor did we bring in millions of dollars (or paid any leaders more than $70 K). And the money we did make, we used to feed the girls and parent volunteers, not to starve them. And yes, some financial contribution is needed on the part of the girl's family, but the family is aware of what their money is going toward up front, and the chapter pays some of the expenses of the girls (hence the preoccupation with money--to help to financially support the functions so that the entire burden does not rest on the family). I'm not familar with AA, so I cannot offer any rebuttal there. As for the scholarships for the MKP participants, if you look at the financial statement posted a while back for that Colorado mkp chapter, you'll see how much of that money actually goes toward scholarships. Two or three scholarships do not account for the millions some chapters are bringing in every year.

Yes, other classes and seminars cost money, but we know up front that professionals are getting paid for their professional expertise and such seminars do not portray themselves as non-profit organizations. My issue with the mkp is that they purport to be non-profit, when it is clear to anyone with logical reasoning and simple mathematical skills that the mkp is making profits that are not accounted for--regardless of the mkp lodging expenses.

I agree that all organizations are concerned with bringing in new members, as it is hard to keep the organization going without them. I was just pointing out that mkp is no exception. One thing to remember, though, is that most other organizations are more upfront about what they are all about BEFORE initiates pay to become members.

I would say that men are not punished, but groupthink is used, as well as activity-packed weekends that do not allow for much time to question, reflect, doubt, etc. Men are kept too busy and are not provided the proper nourishment, rest, and alone time to make independent and rational decisions.

But unless they have lots of free time and money, most men would only go to the weekend ONCE.

I don't think you could make this claim for all involved. Actually, my hubby said he would have been more interested in continuing on with the group had he had more time to reflect and journal on the activities and his feelings surrounding them. IMO, what goes on in these mkp weekends is coersion, and it is facilitated by wearing down the initiates. Any medical or nutritional website will tell you about the importance of protein and proper rest on cognitive thinking (e.g., logical reasoning).

Now, in the groups I could see the 'groupthink' attitude but I would ask "if you were a member of any other 'club' (Knights of Columbus, Freemasons) wouldn't THEY have their own 'groupthink? If you started to oppose their ideals and traditions you'd be disliked too.

Just because some groups are worse (or other groups do it too), it doesn't make the fact that the mkp does it too okay IMO. This still affects independent logical reasoning and coersion is one of the weapons they use to do it.

MKP is elistist in that the rhetoric both on their websites, doctrine, and during the weekends all suggest that these men are the ones who "get it"--who live in integrity. And those who do not come back to the group just "didn't get it" or refuse the "gifts" of the MKP. But I don't think that MKP goes as far at the quote above suggests.

I agree with this. I don't think it is an indicator of them being any different that other 'special' organizations.

And just because other "special groups" do, does it make it okay that mkp does too? I thought their website also says that is is inclusive to other religions, races, sexual preferences, etc. . . . BUT only if you are one of the chosen ones who "get it?" Perhaps they should add that. We see how some pro-MKP leaders treat ex-MKP'ers on these online discussion boards when they disagree. Certainly not like "brothers." But then again, I also admit that some ex-MKP'ers don't treat the pro-MKP'ers with respect either.

ok, now I have been to 'be your own businessman' seminars and other seminars where they are teaching you new ways of thinking and problem solving. They all tell you that 'You are the ones who get it'. Why is that bad? We do 'get it' because we've seen a part of ourselves that most men never see.

I see a pattern here with your thinkning, and I never said that other groups don't exhibit some of these same behaviors. It's just that this group is specifically concerned with MKP on this thread. So that is what I have been focusing my analysis on. But I will say again that professional seminars really aren't the same thing, as leading professional in the field are what's expected at such seminars--and we expect to pay such specialists what they are worth and we have no expectations of continuing to go to other seminars led by the same professional and to hang out with primarily others who have also attended the seminars. And the professionals at these seminars certainly don't make their participants gets naked in order to "get it"--nor sign confidentiality agreements about what goes on in those seminars. And the professionals are just that . . . professionals, certified in whatever their field may be by a host of their colleagues who are also certified. The people running these MKP weekends may or may not be certified or licensed in counseling or education.

It may 'suggest' to initiates that they may only 'feel comfortable' with other MKP men but realistically, onlythe one who had no life when they came to MKP will exit their 'current life' and friends.

I think you are probably right, for most chapters. But from what I have read, it does appear as though some chapters are mcuh more demanding of their members and their time than other chapters, which certainly will impede their relationships with others outside of the group. Plus, the secrecy factor certainly hinders the intimacy that most people expect from their spouses, partners, children, parents, brothers, and friends.

Which brings me to another point. One of the issues I see is that the REALLY hurting or messed up men who go to the weekend will walk out with friends where there were none before. SOme people would see that as them becoming obsessed with MKP and say 'they were brainwashed!'

I admit that many do make good friends in mkp, but others (like my hubby) were encouraged to focus primarily on his new mkp friends (because they were "enlightened" and of "integrity", unlike those on the "outside"). And once he decided not to go to staff this weekend, he has heard nothing back from these so-called friends. Now, when my friends dropped out of Girl Scouts, my sorority, college, my major, my teacher's association, or any other group I belonged to, I never stopped talking to them because of that.

But are they? There's one person who posts somewhere else whose 'friend' was always depressed, went to MKP weekend, and now he is very involved in MKP so he must have been brainwashed! COuldn't it be that he just finally got some self esteem and also met a group who would accept him and men who would be his friends? Is that so hard to believe?

Why would we deny him that? His life sucked before then. Surely therapy and anti-depressants were not working. I'm not saying he IS or IS NOT being 'controlled'. I'm just saying 'how can we make that conclusion with the evidence we've been presented with?'

First, I don't think that you can come to the conculsion that his meds were not working, as you don't know what he was taking or whether he was taking them as directed. And as for therapy, if you are not clicking with a therapist, you can tell them that and they are legally required to assist you in finding another if you need one (they don't shun you for your decision). But I do agree that some men are happier in their lives post joining mkp. I'm still not sure that the end justifies the means, expecially for those who are survivors of abuse. There are much more empowering ways of helping people through hard times available to MKP but they choose not to use them.

hus, they justify some of the abusive activities via "the end justifies the means" mentality. And like many mkp'ers have said on these boards, they would probably not have gone to the weekend had they known about these processes/activities beforehand.

I would not have gone. I would have thought they were silly or weird. But afterwards I was glad I went. I didn't like the few times my beliefs or attitude was 'challenged' but in hindsight it was like 'tough love'. Meaning their 'goal' wasn't to beat me up, it was to make me feel and think.

Then this proves that this is a problem (if you would not have gone). That constitutes COERSION, which is abusive at its core. And actually, their goal is not for you to think (please re-read the earlier posts with the MKP manual exerpts). They want you to feel but not have enough time to think about those feelings and what they mean to your life and your decisions about your life.

If their goal was to BE abusive it would continue the whole weekend. It did not.

Actually, with all due respect, as someone who has been in an abusive relationship before and has witnessed many others who have been as well (not to mention talked with my hubby who studied abuse tactics in his graduate training), abuse is never constant. It is more difficult to keep someone in an abusive relationship if it is always abusive. It is the "honeymoon period" after the abuse that makes the one being abused still feel loved, albeit "tough love" sometimes. It can still be A goal of the organization without being the ONLY goal.

Anidawehi, thanks for your very informative analysis. It got me to think about some things. I have an interesting observation. I noticed that in your last post you were trying to find SOMETHING MKP does that you could apply to the 'cult description'? Several were really good and some were comments as if you felt you had to find 'something' to fit the description.

Thanks for your feedback, FrankD. I admitted that some of my comparisons were stretched. I was just brainnstorming. Also, when debating, the most common structure is to organize the counter-point first then add the point you're trying to make. I noticed that most of us on this board do this. it is common nature to do so, and a linguist I know this is what the research proves. And it is actually this structure that leads to a more balanced discussion, not just discussing one side--but to acknowledge all sides.

Speaking of research, perhaps mkp would not be so scrutinized if it could actually prove itself to be more helpful than harmful, just as prescription drugs and clinical therapy have to. They have PROVEN positive outcomes through rigorous studies. All the informations is shared and out on the table for discussion so it makes it more difficult to argue against the benefits of these therapies (and education for that matter).

Thanks again for your thoughtful discussion, Frank. Hope you're off to a good week.

Mankind project
Posted by: what2do ()
Date: July 24, 2006 05:35AM

SeekTruth, why don't you state your own opinions, and stop slamming another member who you happen to disagree with. What, is only your opinion of who is intelligent worthwhile? Shame on you.

Current Page: 27 of 114

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.