Tobias Beck, Markus Lennackers
Posted by: changeling ()
Date: November 24, 2013 06:48AM

Part 1
Hello there.
Better grab some beverage of your choosing, because it will be a long post.
I'am a german student and educated myself on this message board and with some books on the topic of manipulation and manipulation in cultic settings.

Some weeks ago at my university, students began to show trailers in our regulare lectures for an upcoming event, which they had organized.
The trailer contained Beck and Lennackers, rambling about the seminar and how they will show you, how to be special and differentiate yourself from other students to get a job/a better life/whatever.
Some excerpts:

"Sometimes, you have days were you do not feel good and you cannot just pump your energy up. It will not work. The secret is, how to deal with those days."
--> Targeting of people who have depressions, who cannot deal with bad days.

"You have to concentrate on yourself at the end of the day. And what you really are. And do not look left or right what the others can do better."
--> Yeah well, targeting people with insecurities.

"You have to stand out from the masses"

"I believe that everyone can reach everything in life. But only under the condition, that he is willing to give evrything he has to reach his goal."

They did this in a totally artificial pumped up energy way. The epic music which played in the background gave me the rest.
I had to contain my laughter, because it was at that point so very obvious to me, that this event will be full of manipulation and no content.
To get some unstable students directly to enroll in the 5000 euros seminars of Tobias Beck and to make a positive Anchor for later enrollments, when a student has a bad time in the future. Maybe the future student will be in the HR Management later and will send the whole personnel to such a seminar.

On a site note, i was nearly the only one who showed the laughing reaction. Nearly all other students took it serious and even applauded when the trailer ended, although it was so cheesy and artifical (in my eyes).

Although i read about it in the Byron Katie - Thread, i realized that a very small number of people have a bullshit detector for that kind of event.
I decided to go there. I wanted to see the manipulation i always read about in reality.

And it was Tony robbins style of manipulation. The Tobias Beck guy mentions Tony Robbins on his website and mentions a master facilitator also.
He does not tell from whom he has the master facilitator from, but i guess it is from Tony Robbins, because he did alot of techniques, Tony Robbins does.

When i arrived, i seated myself in the very last row and did not participate in the "exercises", but took notes and watched how the people gradually went crazy and sobbed under hypnosis. I increasingly felt that the room had changed into a lunatic asylum.

Before it even began, the students were told to have at least one seat at their left and right free, because they will need the space. Some followed and some did not.
The event ran from 9 AM to 7-8 PM, with three breaks and a lunch.
There were three speakers and 200-300 people.
The crowd was a 70/30, 60/40 ratio female/male.
The middle speaker, who sadly had only one hour, was no motivational speaker, but a founder of a very big business in the 70's. So i will skip him. He even expressed his concern at this motivational crap and told us at the end that this is useless.
Wise guy, but his advise did not reach the audience.

My notes have every exercise in detail, but i cannot say much about the stories Beck and Lennackers told, because it was done in a rapid, detailed and funny way. They were really good at telling jokes and stories. The Stories in general promoted the "You can have it all in life, do not use logic or criticism, follow your feelings" - System, both guys were conveying.

The first speaker was Markus Lennackers. In the booklet was written that he is the Head Of Training at Vapiano, a restaurant chain, whose personal was sent on seminars from Tobias Beck. With 5000€ per person for two days it sure is alot of cash.
He had to gain the trust of the crowd first and began to make jokes and told the story, how he got his Job at Vapiano despite his bad/non existant ( i can't remember) degree by persisting and selling himself good.

He also began to ask us questions and let us raise hands.
For example "Who feels good? Show your hand!". I think it is called "compliance building". And he did it very very often, with alot of questions too make the crowd ready for the next step.

1. Exercise "Emotion creates Motion" (does sound familiar eh?)

What now follows is a basic exercise to get the people more involved, and not only let them raise their arms till they fall off. That hardly gets them into an emotional state.
Your neighbor is your partner. You tell him your strengths as FAST as you can in 15 seconds and the other way round. Same with your weaknesses. While you do that, pumping techno music is played.

After the exercise Markus Lennackers asked: "Now, when did your partner talk louder? When he talked about his weaknesses (calm emphasis) or strengths (Loud emphasis)?"
Yeah well, leading questions and even the emphasis. I felt like in kindergarten. Talk to the crowd like children, i guess.
The crowd screams: STRENGTHS!
He does the same with "weakness".

____

Now follows alot of Story Telling by Lennackers and some orders, for example write a big "I²" on a slip of paper. Alot of questions, which are answered by shouting from the crowd or hand raising en masse.
The crowd complies easily.
An imagination exercise: "Which picture do you see, when you imagine, that you do not come late to work/university"? --> Slighty hypnotic
Crowd: "I come to late!"
One sentence of him got me laughing really loud.
"Everything you send to the universe, will come back to you!"
"The Secret" says hello. The girl in front of me was annoyed, "because i did not take the event seriously!"
____

2. Exercise "Target Priming"

Another Tony Robbins exercise. Now it got serious, because Lennackers decided to open his hypnotic toolbag and guided the crowd into a trance.
He let everyone stand up, open their arms like wings and close the eyes. Now he began his hypno-speak:
"You stand firm on the ground like you are connected with the earth"
"Relax your body blablabla"
"Imagine your goal as a point behind you and fill it with positive energy"
"The more you participate, the more sucess you will have"
After eastablishing a trance and giving the order to try to reach the point with the fingers, while showing the way with the fingers, he put on some pumping techno music and the whole room twisted their bodies with glassy eyes and reached the point.
When everyone was finished, he said: "And i know, that you can do better!"
He actually got a student, by telling some "break your comfortzone" stuff to do the exercise a second time on the podium, while everyone else did it on their seats.
Of course the pumping techno music was playing also.

_____

Through the pumping music, the exercises, the neverending "You are great, you can archieve anything"-speak and the trance, the crowd of students was very energetic and felt pumped.
Now Markus Lennackers began to show his "personal plan for sucess". Let's share something "personal" with people to build more rapport!
Remember that he always went on with the guru questions - crowd answers thing.

The plan goes like this:
- Positive Thinking (= No use of logic or criticism.)

"There are people who have to criticize everything, this is a sign of negative energy"
---> Implies: Do not criticize my event or i will ridicule you in the open and the crowd will be behind me, because i built intimacy, rapport and gave them good feelings. Damn facist.

- Show feelings (=Become even more emotional and abandon the rest of your thinking capabilities.)

- Be Helpful (= Iam a nice guy, so trust me more, even if you feel that there is something wrong and strange. I will not take your money and try to make you addicted to artifical induced emotional highs. And i will certainly not anchor your good emotions to me. I promise.)

- Be focused, be ready, be brave (= Focus more, so i can hypnotise and confuse you better)

____

3. Exercise "The feeling-barometer"

Between the first two points of his "personal plan of sucess" he introduced the "feeling-barometer". It goes from -15, which is very silent to 10 which is very loud.
He let everyone stand up and let the people say "I'am great". The first time was very silent and than louder and louder and louder. The crowd complies and thirty seconds later everyone is standing and screaming "I'AM GREAT", while the pumping music was playing.
After he introduced the final points of his "personal plan", which i mentioned above, he lets all students stand up again and everyone screams "I'AM GREAT" for 3-4 Minutes, while music is playing.
After that madness stops, the people of course are all on a very emotional high, smiling all the time and exhausted and feeling great.
15 minutes break follows.

_____

I came alone to the seminar, so i searched for some conversation and i wanted to hear the opinion of that seminar from a person.
I quickly engaged in conversation with a greek guy and was shocked. I asked him what he things about the sentence, Markus Lennackers said.
"Everything what you send to the universe will come back to you"

The greek guy said: "Well, he (Markus Lennackers) said that and i think it is true."

I said: "Oh, so when you are on a plane and the turbines are starting to fail, it is of course your fault?"

Greek guy: "Yes, you could have had some negative energy, which caused the turbines to fail".

I said ( thought he was joking): Ahh yes, like a Jedi Master from Star Wars, you use the force and blabla."

When he did not answer, i realized that he did not joke and was serious. So i asked him: "Do you really believe in that?"

Greek guy said: "Yes, he (Markus) said it and i believe in it."
After that we chatted normally about other things.

I was astonished which impact the "teachings" of Markus Lennackers had on this guy. He knew Lennackers for maybe 1-2 hours and repeated two times "he said it". He saw Lennackers as an authority person and probably believed everything. I shivered a bit.

___

I will write the rest in the coming days. Good night.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Tobias Beck, Markus Lennackers Part 2
Date: November 24, 2013 07:05PM

Part 2
Hello everyone.

_____

After the break was over, everyone streamed back into the large hall and took seats, while the everpresent pumping music was playing.

--> I guess that the music is another anchor for having good feelings. Besides being always played, when the crowd was screaming, or being in trance (establishing an audio-anchor) the majority of students goes into clubs at the weekends and dance to that kind of music.

When everyone was seated, Lennackers went on with even more story telling, more jokes and the question-answer game. He now had the crowd on his side, laughing about every joke or comedic gesture he made.
The guy who sat in front of me, near the girl who i annoyed with my laughter, had a very very strange way of laughing. He seemed totally out of control, laughing extremely hard at nearly everything and even bending over his table.
I, on the other hand was bored by all the story telling.
I do not remember what he said in detail, but i think that he shifted more into the "You have to act, when the time is right. You are not allowed to hesistate (and so on)".
He even did a small imagination exercise: "What do you feel, when you do not get your dreamjob?"

"You do not have to feel bad about it, you are special, imagine, that you won the sperm race or else you would not sit here."
_____

4. Exercise "50 € under my chair"

I did not know about that exercise before, but it fit thematically with his story telling.
At one time, after having finished a rambling about the "you have to act"-thing, he said:

"There are 50€ under my chair."

He waited while the hall became quiet. Than three students rushed forward to the chair and fought about the money. Honestly, it was kind of degrading.
He proceeded to "interview" the girl who won and set her up as a model, who acted right. And questioned a bit why the others did not act like that.

___

After the exercise followed more jokes, stories and some "feeling barometer" screaming. And 2 exercises, which i found to be quite vicious.

__

5. Exercise "Postcard"

In front of us laid a postcard with a in my eyes very ironic poem. Translated from German:

"Watch your thoughts,
because they become words.

Watch your words,
because they become actions.

Watch your actions,
because they become habits.

Watch your habits,
because they become character.

Watch your character,
because it becomes your destiny."

Isn't that ironic. It describes the process of thought reform and even gives warnings. The card however is used in an very emotional exercise. I missed the lines:

"Watch the gurus,
because they stirr your emotions.

Watch your emotions,
because stirred emotions make it easier to change thoughts."

The exercise was made to "do something good, to give something back". Every student had to write a letter with everything he always wanted to say to a person in his family.
While everyone wrote on the card, sad music was played. The girls in front of me were nearly crying and said to each other:

"Oh my god, i'am nearly crying."
"It felt so good."

What now follows is a weak Version of Byron Katies "Gift me your weeding ring sessions".
Markus Lennackers announced, that everyone can bring his card to a box at the end of the event and he will send the postcards to the relevant persons.

--> Give me your personal thoughts and worries and i will take care of them. You can trust me.

____

What now follows is no exercise, but a long, fully hypnotic letter. Markus Lennackers claimed that this letter was from his dead grandma, but that is almost 100 percent a lie.
I guess that his grandma does not mean anything to him and her death can be exploited to induce trance, stirr emotions, change thoughts.
The letter was very long, emotional and full with indirect (mostly metaphorical) and plain direct directions, which fit into the categories:

- Do not use logic and do not criticise all the time. Let your emotions flow freely.

--> Which kind of grandma would tell that to her own grand son anyway. Good luck, trying to survive World War 2 without logic and criticism.

"I wish, i would not have used my rational mind so often and trusted the feeling in my belly more.."

- Always improve your life, even when you are happy.

--> Sink deeper into the world of self improvement and start buying seminars, you sucker.

"I wish i had reached more often for the cherrys on the trees, even when i was happy."

- You have to do something, if you want to reach your goal.

--> And if it does not work, it is your fault alone, because you send negative energy to the universe. Come to my seminar to get yet another emotional high.

" My own grandpa once told me a story: A baby lion was alone in the desert...and he had to run very fast to not starve to death and to reach the zebra"

--> Notice the hypnotic technique of a "Story in a Story", designed to suck the recipient deeper into the "Letter from Grandma"- World.

The effect the "letter" had on the crowd was a very emotional one. Many people sobbed and used tissues to wipe tears away. It did not even occur to them, that this "letter" was as fake as it could possibly be.

After that fake letter, Lennackers time ended (big applause) and everyone went into the break.

___

Do you want to see a video of those in action? It is in german, but you do not need to understand them to see some of the exercises and the audience's reaction, i described:
Lennackers and Beck

"Das wird mein Jahr = This will be my year"

"Veränderung ist möglich = Change is possible"

"Bereit sein = Being ready"

"Das Leben ist keine Generalprobe = Life is no dress rehearsal (actors who perform the theater play a last time, before it goes live)"

"Erfolg ist planbar = You can plan sucess/Sucess is planable"

"Glauben Sie fest an sich = Firmly believe in you"

"Alles erreichen! = Archieving everything!"

And so on. I do not want to translate everything, since it is all nonsense, mixed with high pitched rock music, direct orders and smiling people to create a light trance and feeling of joy. Just another marketing clip.
Notice how similar it is to Tony Robbins events.

I will write more today or in the coming days.

Re: Tobias Beck, Markus Lennackers Part 3
Date: November 25, 2013 11:27PM

Part 3
Hello.

_____

After Markus Lennackers and the second speaker were finished, Tobias Beck had his turn.

He instantly started with the Questions - Answers game. Raise your hand or shout. I did not perceive him as artifical as Lennackers (although the crowd did not seem to notice it anyway), due to his experience.
He even used common language.

He also gave an explanation, why he does that Questions - Answers game, the pumping music and all that stuff. It's because of the "mirror-neurones" in your brain. You will learn better, if you participate.
---> Wasn't that concept also used in NLP? If Tobias Beck is a master facilitator of Tony Robbins, he surely has alot of NLP knowledge directly from Tony Robbins.

"Why do i want you to participate? Because of the..."

Crowd shouts: "MIRROR NEURONES"

In the first 2 hours, he did alot of story telling. He studied 6 semestres but did not finish his degree (He got applause). After that, he worked at disneyland and was sent to live with a black guy in a black ghetto. He described the black guy as his role model and criticized the coldness of society with a very emotional story:
"Black guy was schoolbusdriver and cared for the schoolkids."

After that, he came back to germany and founded a Sales-Company with 800 (or 1800, can't remember) employees. Strangely enough, i cannot find anything on the internet about his company...

Thats mainly it. Throw in many jokes, some stand up comedy, alot of questions-answer games, story telling, enthusiasm and a toothpaste smile and you got it.

Beck did also draw a model, which shows different personality types in an oversimplistic way.
Of course, the worst personality type had negative energy and criticized everything, whereas the best personality type did only use minimal logic and was guided by his emotions.

Here is the model:

"Bewohner" = "Resident, denizen"
---> Negative, logic using person, who always criticizes and brings everyone down to their level. So it is best to avoid those kind of persons.

"Show your hand, if you know such persons in your vicinity!"

"Ameise" = "Ant"
---> Content person, who likes his job and leads a normal life.

"Diamant" = "Diamond"
---> Not sure what that was about. I think people with good ideas, but no drive to realise them.

"Superstars"
---> Fulfilled being, full with positive emotions, minimum logic and an "open mind" (Read: open wallet.)

That is it. Of course, Tobias Beck pumped the crowd to scream "I wanna be a superstar" a few times.

He also gave two advises:

- People want attention and appreciation.

- People like people who are like them.

---> Talking of logic. How is it possible for "Residents" to pull down, let's say "Superstars" to their level? Obviously Superstars and Residents do not like each other, because they are different. And people have to like you, if you want to influence them.
Maybe it is the negative energy, which is beamed magically onto the "superstar"-person, like in Star Wars ;).

That is all his "content" for the first part. He did not do any exercises, but did alot of the question-answers game, alot of jokes (some were really good), alot of Story telling and had the crowd laughing at everything he said.

____

After the break he decided to get his toolkit out and immediately started the first exercise, when everyone was seated. Tony Robbins does this exercise regularly.

1. Exercise "Get pumped up"

The Exercise is split in 5 parts.

1. You have to introduce yourself to 5 persons in the room, without smiling.
2. Same, but be really nice now.
3. Same, but imagine you have not seen them for 5 years.
4. Choose a Partner (A and B). A has to make things with his body, B has to repeat them.
5. A is three years old, B has to repeat everything A does.

The pumping music is playing, while people do the exercise and stops when one part is done.
As you can imagine it got really emotional at the third part.
The fourth and fifth part were really weird to watch.
---> Emotional customers are good customers.

____

What now follows is more story telling, how he had problems at one of his trainings, but it went all well in the end etc. Lots of jokes, lots of laughing.
At this stage, one very important component was more bashing of "Residents" and silencing of possible critical voices.
He went into the "do not criticize"-stuff for some time.
And ended it with a story, where he was in a kitchen with people at a party. After one guy asks him to watch out where he steps, because the guy had an accident with his feets, Tobias Beck perceived everyone in the room as "Residents" and wrote the number of the church counseling center on the refrigerator.
Of course he told the story in a very funny and enthusiastic way (he voice acted the voice of the accident guy), so the people laughed and applauded, but did not get the real (sociopathic) content.

He told the crowd to say "Für dieses Gespräch stehe ich nicht nur Verfügung."
(= "I'am not available for this conversation"), if they ever come into contact with an evil "Resident". He used this line on the accident guy from the story. Of course he let the students shout his line 2-3 times.

After that, he went on with the social coldness and framed the crowd for the things to come.
He showed a "Soul Pancake" video from Oprah Winfrey and praised her.

It was a video, where two people get into a pool full of those colored balls (think children) in the open street and have a conversation.
Nothing special, but it is of course pumped up with sad music and alot of ramblings about the cold society and soooo much positive energy at the end.
Reactions were emotional, i was able to hear some sobbings.

--> I must say, that i got angry at that point, because so much new age crap in one day is quite unnerving.

Now we come to a very very vicious exercise, where Tobias Beck connects many techniques into one. The impact was just plain crazy.

_____

2. Exercise "Mushing the brain"

It started all with Beck asking a question: "May i talk with your inner child? Raise your hands!"
The crowd (grown ups) raised their hands and said "YES!". He started very sad music and i kind of knew that i will see many sobbing people in a few minutes.

After some more words from Beck ("You do not have to be scared, it will feel good"), he got the hypno speak starting. Some excerpts, the thing went on for 10-15 mins:
"Sit tight, both legs firm on the ground."....
"Imagine a white beach, a fireball above your head and a little child."
"The little child on the beach are you!"
"You go to the child, embrace it empathically and say that you will always watch out for it, yaddayaddayadda"
--> The crying started. Many people cry. Madness. One girl falls from her chair.
"Now go and tell the child, which things in your life make you happy."
"You count till 5 and you are back in reality."

So much for the hypnosis. The people are still in a very suggestible state.
Tobias Beck lets the people write down all the things they said to the child (pumping music playing).
After that, he asks everyone to stand up and read loud from their (intimate) list, while music is playing. When the music gets louder they should start dancing and making party.
Everyone in the hall is reading their list and hopping around like crazy, screaming/crying (except me and 2-3 others, who i saw earlier also taking notes).
After 2-3 minutes he breaks the music and proceeds to tell, that this list "is now anchored in your unconciousness and every morning you look at it, if you feel unhappy".

____

That is basically the whole event. It went on a little longer, with another simplistic model and more jokes and so on.

I will now try to extract all the techniques from the last exercise. I'am not sure if i will get every technique and i would appreciate if you could point out anything, which iam missing.

It starts with a hypnotic induction (sit tight...beach...fireball..), which is more effective through the use of sad music.

Tobias Beck goes on with the little child at the beach, who is you.
A reduction to childhood, i forgot the exact name of the technique.
The talking about how you embrace the child and always care for it, might also recall bad memories from childhood, where the person really needed someone.

--> But behold! Tobias Beck is here and will "help" you with your problems. For a hefty fee of course.

After that, we have the writing down of the words and the verbal repetition of the words. I think this is also important as it connects the hypnotic world and the real world.

Lastly the hopping, screaming and the direct suggestion of Tobias Beck, that the list is now anchored and will help you, if you are unhappy.

--> If it does not help anymore, it is time for a 5000€ seminar, i guess.

___

This is my description of the event. If there are more of those in my vicinity, i might go there also and describe them here.

PS: It was only one sentence each, but both Beck and Lennackers said, that being an egomaniac is a good way of life (in other words of course).
Quite telling.

PPS: Reaction from one student: "It changed my life."

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.