Werner's Razor
Posted by: IveGotIt ()
Date: August 01, 2008 04:59AM

Hi,
I haven't posted here for a couple of years and I hope that some of you 'old timers' can direct me. I am looking for a woman who talked about "Werner's Razor' taking you to the edge of insanity. Does anyone remember who I mean or where I can find her post on that?
IveGotIt

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Werner's Razor (Werner Erhard, EST) assholes, brainwashing
Posted by: The Anticult ()
Date: August 01, 2008 03:47PM

[www.culteducation.com]

''We're Gonna Tear You Down and Put You Back Together"
Psychology Today/August 1975
By Mark Brewer

"Thousands of educated citizens in New York, San Francisco and other cities buy $250 tickets for the latest pop-psych trip, Erhard Seminars Training, or est. A stubborn journalist reports his experience with est and with the supersalesman who invented it out of psycho-techniques, Eastern and Western. When you know you're a mechanical anus, you've ''got it.''

He goes for the throat. They were present, he roared in command voice, because their lives did not work. Their lives were shit. Hopeless. They did not know what they were doing, did not know how to experience life, were struggling, desperate, confused. They were ASSHOLES! Tony savored the word a moment, used it again, and thenceforth, as is a matter of course in the training, the recruits were always referred to as assholes...until they ''got it.''

He began to describe all the pain and stress and discomfort and anxiety they were going to feel in the long hours ahead. Like an interrogator assuring a captive that he will inevitably crack, Tony took pleasure in predicting the sheer desperation with which each trainee, hours and hours hence, would desire merely to talk, stand up, leave the room, smoke a cigarette, go home, take a shit, anything. How they would feel hatred, boredom, ripped off...''until finally you begin to get'' he shouted ''that you will do anything to keep from experiencing what is actually happening to you.''

Werner's Razor. That line is essentially Werner's razor: your mind is so confused with beliefs and reasons about what is or could or should be wrong with you, or the world or everyone else, that you are incapable of even experiencing life, much less enjoying it. Therefore, yelled Tony, ''We're gonna throw away your whole belief system. ... We're gonna tear you down and put you back together.''

Such efforts, or course, are commonly known as brainwashing, which is precisely what the est experience is, and the result is usually a classic conversion.

Options: ReplyQuote

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.