Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Pathgate Institute - Dr. Young (Yang Dashi)
Posted by: howi ()
Date: September 15, 2005 10:05PM

Does anybody know anything about Dr. Young?

You can check out the newly formed [i:10bc1c872e]Pathgate Institute[/i:10bc1c872e] webpage for more information:

[pathgate.org]

He runs this program with many students who take 3 year courses for thousands of pounds sterling. A good friend of mine (see below) went up to a retreat to meet this "guru" (they call him "Sifu" - master) guy. Once I got up there it became clear that these people think he has supernatural abilities. For instance check out his "healing" abilities:

[pathgate.org]

Or check out his miraculous acts of truth:

[pathgate.org]

I did an internet search on him and the only bad thing I could find was on the rec.martial-arts USENET group

Newsgroups: rec.martial-arts
Subject: Re: whereabouts of Peter Young

Celestiale wrote in message
news:2a68da13.0409220747.45096da@posting.google.com...
> Hello
>
> I am trying to locate Sifu Peter Young, also know as Yang Dashi (an
> honorary title).

Honorary from himself

> He is said to be a CMA teacher of exceptional ability.

He was certainly good at brainwashing his students. They worshipped the man.
He wore sunglasses all the time as he had "the eyes of a buddha" that would
be too much if people looked at them....

You have to scroll down a bit to find the text in this link.

The people who follow this guy seem to be in a state of trance and basically give up the rest of their life to follow and learn from him. When I went up to Newcastle for the retreat, we attended lectures and there were all sorts of rules imposed by the audience around me. For instance, we sat on the floor on cushions and I couldn't point my feet at him, that was considered rude. Also, there was food that he was eating and water that he was drinking and after he touched the stuff, it was considered holy and we would eat and drink after him to get holy powers too, or something like that.

When there was a Kung Fu picnic, the skies cleared up before the picnic and then got cloudy after the picnic. He did all sorts of Tai Chi and Kung Fu demonstrations. In one of his demonstrations which lasted for an hour he had his special students surround him and try to hold him and he would wiggle his hand and they would all be flung off of him, running away. He did this repeatedly. And with this one guy, he started moving his hand up and down and this was throwing this guy up and down next to him that was close to him. Apparently he can make students laugh uncontrollably for a half an hour.

Anyways, it just got too weird for me. All I was interested in (and the reason I came down in the first place) was the Buddhist philosophy, kindness, compassion, tolerance, etc. which he did treat, but I really didn't enjoy his lectures like the books I have read of HH the Dalai Lama. It all turned into unleashing your Chi to amazing results to obtain powers of control and ability that you never could reach by yourself.

Now a friend of mine (the one who originally went up with me to the retreat in Newcastle) has recently got back from a week long retreat in Greece with him. She just told me that she has decided to sell her van (which used to be a prized possesion of hers) for less than it's worth, and join a three year course with him. I'm just worried about her.

Does anybody know anything about programs like this? Are they cults?

edited to add: Ok. I just found a video depository at the website, so you can actually see the things I am describing. Check out:

[pathgate.org]#

In fact the first video was of the picnic I attended in Newcastle. Weird stuff. You can see more demonstrations in the other videos.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: howi ()
Date: September 16, 2005 06:22PM

Perhaps I might have posted this in the wrong section of the forum.

This is the only section that I am familar with. In one sense Dr. Young offers the notion of elightenment, but it isn't a 'large group awareness training seminar.'

I'd greatly appreciate any advice or councel on this topic. Also, I'd have no problem if the mods wanted to move this thread to a different, more relevant, section, if you think that might be appropriate. Thanks!

Posted by: wibble ()
Date: October 28, 2006 06:41AM

Hello Howi,

I was a student/disciple of Peter Young's for a couple of years. I think he has become something like a cult leader, but that doesn't mean he is all bad.
I believe he is a genius, and an incredible artist, if not enlightened, whatever that might be.
If you would like to discuss this futher, pm me, I'm not allowed to until I've made a certain number of posts or something...

Posted by: paracelsus ()
Date: November 23, 2006 05:37AM

I know Peter Young. I'd be seriously worried about anybody close to me being part of his group.

He was kicked out of the Tai Chi Union of Great Britain several years ago for unethical conduct. He is a fairly accomplished liar and I'd check out any credentials he offers very carefully. He has left a trail of burnt out and broken students behind him. The ones that remain are, indeed, pretty much brainwashed and regard him as a Buddha. He has been charging top dollar for teaching Buddhism for nearly 10 years though from what I could divine this was contrary to the sect which he had joined.

He is superficially pleasant unless challenged and then can become exceptionally abusive and unpleasant. In altered states he gives the impression of actually not being completely all there. Stay away and hold on to your money. If you doubt this - get in contact with reputable members of the Tai Chi Union of Great Britain who will put you straight on Peter Young.

Posted by: leon1 ()
Date: April 19, 2007 01:27AM

could you give a few more details on what you've written about? what do you mean by burnt out students?

Re: Pathgate Institute - Dr. Young (Yang Dashi)
Posted by: girasol ()
Date: August 04, 2008 05:56AM

Did you manage to find out any more details? I went to his retreat in Greece to see for myself who this person is as someone I know is a follower and I left after a few days as I was disturbed by what I witnessed and heard. I would be grateful for any information you may have.

Posted by: leon1 ()
Date: August 07, 2008 10:35PM

I didn't find anything out no as no-one replied. What was your experience there?

Posted by: tss111 ()
Date: August 19, 2008 12:53AM

Hi all. I have been to Lama Dondrup Dorje's retreat before and know many who have attended. It has changed my life for the better. Since going, my relationships with my family and friends and colleagues has improved, I am more at peace with myself and I am a happier and healthier person. I have witnessed other people's lives improving from meeting Lama Dondrup Dorje in similar ways. I have seen for myself how he has supported people with medical problems, who he didnt even know, to come and their medical conditions have improved.

My personal experiences of meeting him have been that he has always acted very kindly and generously with me and given me advice and is never afraid of saying the right thing, whether or not people like it, for the right reason. All this talk about burnt out students is nonsense. If you meet his students you are meeting good people who are generally happy and healthy and always helpful. People get burnt out by their daily stressful lives, living in the world today burns most people out, that is why they often go to him for guidance, not just Buddhists, but he helps all sorts of people.

Actually, the Pathgate Institute of Buddhist Studies (their full title) shouldnt even be discussed in these forums beacuse they do not classify as a cult. They are Buddhists who follow the Nyingmapa School of Tibetan Buddhism and are the tradition of Palyul. They have monks and nuns who were ordained personally by His Holiness Penor Rinpoche (which is actually quite rare), the throne holder of the Palyul tradition. There are 4 main tibetan schools, Nyingmapa, Sakya (headed by HH Sakya Trizen), Kagyu (Headed by HH the 17th Karmapa) and the Gelugpa (headed by the Dalai Lama).
All the pathgate students practice in accordance to the Palyul tradition so really cannot be classsed as a cult. It is comparable to a group of Roman Catholics practicing, being led by an Arch Bishop on assigment from the Pope being called a cult when they are clearly not - they are authentic Roman Catholic practitioners. Likewise, the Pathgate Institute of Buddhist Studies, headed by Lama Dondrup Dorje on assignment from and endorsed by His Holiness Penor Rinpoche are authentic Buddhist practitioners and therefore not classified as a cult.
If you have problems with authentic Tibetan Vajrayana Buddhist tradition, then perhaps you might try a different forum.

I hope that people will have the patience to read this and that it clarifies people's misunderstanding.

Posted by: karmabiting ()
Date: December 02, 2008 04:05AM

I have been a student of HH Penor Rinpoche's, for twelve years, and have attended the one month summer retreat every year since they began. Dr. Young, (honorary title) has spent a number of years at these retreats.

While Peter is a student of Rinpoche's, I would not say that he has any "special" endorsement from him. If you read Dr. Young's website carefully, he skillfully manipulates the language to present a portrait of himself that inflates his standing. While there are no blatant lies (as far as I know) in his statements about himself, there is a good deal of exageration and subtle massaging of the truth. For example, Dr. Young states that he has received all kinds of major empowerments and initiations. That is true, but so did anyone who paid for the retreats. He also lists his various dharma names and titles, and explains their meaning. They are quite impressive. But anyone who has been on the Tibetan Buddhist path for long can reel out a hefty list of impressive titles and names. That is the custom.

Aside from his first name, the only thing I ever heard Penor Rinpoche call Peter was a liar. This was during the summer retreat, where Rinpoche said he did not "take money from liars", and refused Peter's monetary offering in front of the entire group of retreatants.

Dr. Young has taken to wearing the robes of a monk, and now usually sits with the ordained sangha during practice. I don't know if he has become a monk, but, if anyone knows if he is ordained, I would like to know when, where and by whom.

It is my personal observation that Dr. Young is working very hard to become a well-known teacher and master. However, his association with His Holiness Penor Rinpoche and the Palyul lineage in no way guarantees that his organization is not a cult. How are you qualified to state that the Pathgate Institute teachings are authentic, and true to the Palyul tradition?

If I wanted to have an authentic teacher and to immerse myself in Buddhist studies, I would look to study with those like Penor Rinpoche, and the honorable Khenpos and Dorje Lopons who are the living exemplars of the tradition. We are lucky that they are so available.

If I had a good friend or child who wanted to study Dharma, I would point them toward "the real thing", not a "wanna be".

Attachments: costumes.jpg (33.1 KB)  
Posted by: tss111 ()
Date: December 02, 2008 04:20AM

You are stuck on your own perception of the appearance of things.
You know the examples of the masters of old - do not take things for how they appear.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.