Sexuality Workshop
Posted by: MartinBraun ()
Date: October 06, 2007 05:01PM

I'm wondering about the "Sexuality Workshop" phase of some of these LGATs. I've searched these boards and found this informative thread:

[board.culteducation.com]

It's about the Human Awareness Institute (www.hai.org). It contains a lively discourse from some former participants, both for and against HAI. They talk about how the workshop is "clothing optional" and go over some practices, like touching each other, close-up inspection of genitalia, and kissing of each other's genitalia, and an implication of actual intercourse in the last stage. I recommend it to anybody seeking information on Sexual Workshops.

--------------------

But the HAI focuses entirely on "sexuality", and has up to 7 levels. I'm wondering about the "Sexuality Workshops" that are tagged onto the end of LGAT training, after the initial three sections. I believe Landmark and Legacy have these. The one my friend is currently "enrolled" in, Summit Education, has a two day Sexuality Workshop (going on this weekend actually, though she is not taking it).

So I'm wondering, if anybody knows, what goes on in these shorter, tail-end Sexuality Workshops? Is it clothing optional? Do they have people do sexual things masked as innocent actions ("relax, it's not oral sex, it's just touching a part of the body with your lips")? Would there be enough time for actual sex, or is it covertly continued (like the way there is an Advanced after the Basic, Leadership after the Advanced, Masters after the Leadership, etc.). Knowing how LGAT groups manage to get participants to do things they usually wouldn't do, through peer/leader pressure or an imminent sense of failure, what happens when sex is equated?

--------------------

My theory of the "end game" in terms of these Sexuality Workshops (based on the HAI) is the fact that people can repeat the course over and over. If every time the workshop is held, new people (especially women) are pushed to try ambiguously presented sexual activities, which may result in impromptu or group sex, then savvy repeat participants are pretty much paying for the opportunity to have sex, or something close to it. Which means that the people running these workshops are essentially pimping out the new attendees, who in-turn are paying to be prostituted.

It seems in line with the general LGAT M.O. of getting people to pay for a course where a large part of the curriculum is based on "enrolling" people into the program. Another theory is that it promotes promiscuity, group sex, polygamy, ect, as the only way to be truly sexually happy, and thus giving people a reason to continue participating in the LGAT group (sex sells).

----------------

A funny thing to point out: Reading the HAI site and other Sexuality Workshop descriptions, we come up with a lot of flowery talk about feelings and relationships and intimacy, blah, blah, blah, but nothing about nudity or actual sex, yet, they're still bold enough to call it a Sexuality Workshop.

In the above thread, one of the former HAI members (who's now against it) mentioned that it was wrong for them not to right out state the possibility of sexual activity, and the pro, current HAI participant pretty much retorts "It's called a SEXUALITY workshop. You should expect there to be some sex". Yet, when I cautioned my friend about the it, she said "It's called a Sexuality Workshop, but it's not like there's going to be actual sex."

This is similar to the way LGAT apologist on these boards, when presented with cases gone wrong, simply say "Well, it's definitely not for everybody." yet have no answer to how the people that it's not for are supposed to know that when their practices are so secret.

Options: ReplyQuote
Sexuality Workshop
Posted by: rrmoderator ()
Date: October 06, 2007 07:56PM

Sexuality Workshop
Posted by: corboy ()
Date: October 06, 2007 10:57PM

What follows potentially applies when any untrained people try to do
taboo breaking groups or workshops--no matter how benevolent their intentions.

It is always good to ask whether a group offering to liberate via taboo breaking behavior is set up to ensure the following:

*Informed consent

*Whatever is done within the group will not expose participants to legal
consequences or social disgrace.

*All records, whether in writing, on videotape, film, etc will be kept confidential

Does the Group welcome accountablity?

A good question is to find out in advance if the group and its organizers consider themselves accountable and responsible for the proper use of the powerful techniques to be employed in the group--and responsible for protecting the subjects when powerful taboo material is stirred up.

A trustworthy powerholder is conscious in his or her exercise of power and is clearly accountable morallyand legally for its proper use---and will welcome any questions about this and give clear, satisfying answers.

A trustworthy powerholder accepts responsibility and does not act like a child and put all blame onto subjects if mishaps occur.

If a group refuses to recognize there is the possiblity that things could go wrong, and [i:914b00736e]if any trouble is blamed wholly on the subjects, with no ownership of responsibility/accountablity by group organizers[/i:914b00736e], there is no way for a group to self-correct and self regulate if there is trouble.

In the absence of feedback and accontability, a group cannot recognize its mistakes in the early stages or correct them.

[b:914b00736e]Unintended Consequences of Taboo Breaking Groups[/b:914b00736e]

There might be various consequences, perhaps not even intended by the organizers, that could occur.

Through peer pressure in such groups, subjects might do things that actually go against their authentic boundaries and moral guidelines.

Afterwards, they could feel embarrassed, even ashamed.

In some cases, persons actually harmed may find it unbearable to recognize how theyactually feel. They may either stifle this in silence or loudly insist they benefitted.

Rather than face their unease, some former subjects may try to recruit others, in a continuing attempt to disown through workaholism and prosyletization, their actual regrets.

For some, there may be additional consequences after they do things in a taboo breaking group that they later regret:

1) The subject cant stand facing that he did something embarrassing that he now genuinely regrets. Rather than face the pain and shame of such a predicament, he may eagerly, even desperately buy into the group's reassurances that his misgivings are delusional and that what happened
was actually healing for him.

The problem is that convincing yourself that you do not have regret when you actually do feel regret constricts one's inner awareness and takes energy, [i:914b00736e]leaving the person less free rather than more free. [/i:914b00736e]

This can leave a conflicted subject all the more dependent on the entity that 1) persuaded him to do what he now actually regrets and 2) persuades him that has have no reason for regret.

2) This shared sense of risk taking/taboo may increase bonding within the group and inculcate a sense of specialness and secrecy over and against relationships outside the group. One way to cope is to let yourself be persuaded that this wasnt actually repugnant, but a way to feel liberated and special---elite in relation to those who are sexually prudish and hung up.

3) A subject who has been persuaded to do this sort of thing may often feel reluctant to share any of this with her spouse, long time partner, family or trusted friends outside the group. In extreme cases, this could dissrupt relationships

4) A person might fear that what they did in the group could later be held against them and cause them to stay silent,even if they later decide they do have misgivings and do leave the group. In extreme cases, they might,
after leaving the group, try to shout down those who do dare to speak up, because it is a painful thing to regain conscious awareness and face that
your trust has been seriously violated.

All of this underscores that any sort of sex therapy has to be offered by professionals who are trained, and who are accountable to the guidelines of their profession and to the body of laws that explicitly spell out what is considered appropriate practice of psychotherapy and its boundary ethics.

This again underscores the necessity of

1) Informed consent ( you know ahead of time what will actually happen and are thus free to refuse if you decide this isnt for you)

2) Confidentiality--do you get anything in writing that what you say and do in the group is kept private, records secured, and that you will not be photographed or videotaped without your express consent?

Sexuality Workshop
Posted by: DayDreamer ()
Date: October 07, 2007 10:52PM

Well, I'm the one who did two HAI workshops, and I am firmly convinced that the ultimate goal is group sex.

They make you agree to keep everything confidential. Supposedly it's because they don't want to scare newbies from doing the "hard work" involved in this therapeutic endeavor. Bull. I think it's because they don't want you to go in knowing that you're going to be kissing someone else's genitals because they figure you WON'T SHOW UP.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.