Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Landmark's health warnings
Posted by: newfuture ()
Date: February 14, 2013 09:54AM

Just found a form that's used to sign people up for the forum.

It's the first time I have sat down and really looked at their health warning. And I am further 100% convinced that these people know what damage they are inflicting on people and simply do not give a damn.

Note they even ask you what you intend to accomplish and then tell you that there is no suggestion or guarantee that you will get those results! Hilarious.

They even LIE in this document, saying that it's a programme "designed to support people in being more effective in realising their own personal and societal goals. Through a series of philosophically rigorous and open discussions, voluntary sharing of your experience and short exercises, the Programme provides an opportunity to explore basic questions that have been of interest to human beings throughout time and to examine many aspects of your own life." What crap. There is not one iota of philosophical rigour in landmark. In fact, it's factually inaccurate for the most part, and illogical for the other. There is also no 'open discussion' in any meaningful sense of the term. And as for 'exploring' basic questions - having 'life is empty and meaningless' shoved down your throat is not what I'd call an exploration.

There is also manipulation in the document. e.g. they say that some people find it hard to confront life 'honestly' and suggest that this is the reason for why people may find the forum distressing. They do not tell you that they implant memories and tell you what you did at certain times in your life even though they were not there, nor that they try and totally distort your sense of reality and judgement. Is this confronting life honestly? These people are the most dishonest bunch I have ever had the misfortune to come across in my life.

When I signed up, I didn't take that mental health warning seriously because I'd never had a mental health issue and there is no history of mental illness in my family. I wish I had read it now because I would have seen that they say that even in people with no previous history of mental illness that the forum can cause psychotic breaks, suicide attempts and all sorts. It's amazing that despite knowing all of this, they still push their forum as a panacea!

Read for yourself.

To help you to benefit fully from your participation in The Landmark Forum, we ask that you take a moment to state specifically what you intend to accomplish. Answering this question does not suggest or guarantee that you will achieve these specific results by the end of the programme. However, by being specific, you will facilitate your participation. Please print your answer in the space provided below.(You may attach additional pages if needed.)
11. What do you intend to accomplish?

NOTICE OF IMPORTANT INFORMATION AND HEALTH WARNINGS
You must read the section below carefully and completely.

1. We are pleased that you are going to participate in The Landmark Forum (the “Programme”). Many people have found the Programme to be an enjoyable and valuable experience. However, the Programme is not advisable for everyone. The purpose of this Notice is to ensure that you are not one of the people for whom this Programme may be inadvisable.We take our responsibility and your safety seriously. Please read each section of this Notice carefully and completely so you can make the right decision for yourself. The recommendations in this Notice have been made by mental health professionals who advise Landmark Education.Although the number of people who have experienced serious problems during or after the Programme is quite small, you should be certain whether the Programme is appropriate for you. If you have any questions, please contact a mental healthprofessional. We will assume from your participation in the Programme and from your declaration at the end of thisapplication that you have a full understanding of each and every paragraph which follows and that you understand ourrecommendations and will comply with our instructions.
You and you alone are responsible for your choice to participate in the Programme and foryour own health and well-being at all times prior to, during and after your participation in the Programme.

2. The Programme is a unique course of instruction designed to support people in being more effective in realising their own personal and societal goals. Through a series of philosophically rigorous and open discussions, voluntary sharing of your experience and short exercises, the Programme provides an opportunity to explore basic questions that have been of interest to human beings throughout time and to examine many aspects of your own life. In the Programme, people cometo grips with what it means to be human — not as a mere classroom exercise, but as a rigorous enquiry. The Programmeoffers a unique technology through which people create new possibilities for their lives.

3. In the Programme, you will enquire into fundamental issues that have been of interest and concern to us as human beings. The experience of the Programme is unique to each individual and there is no way to predict in advance exactly what you may think or feel. It is normal for some people to experience unwanted or unfamiliar emotions from time to time, such as fear, anger, sadness, regret, hatred, irritation and impatience. For most participants, exploring thoughts and feelings thatthey have not fully explored before is a useful and positive learning experience. Some participants have found thatexploring life’s issues honestly may evoke uncomfortable and unpleasant feelings. For others, the Programme may occur asphysically, mentally and emotionally seriously distressing. If you are unwilling to encounter any of these powerful experiences in yourself or in others, or if you have any concern about your ability to deal with such experiences, the mental health professionals who advise Landmark Education (our advisers) strongly recommend that you do not participate in the programme.

Some people experience temporary and not seriously consequential stress during and after the Programme. For most people, stress is a normal part of everyday life. However, people who have a history of mental illness or serious emotional problems personally or in their immediate family may be more vulnerable to stress and may experience additional and very severe physical, mental or emotional problems. In people who have physical, mental or emotional problems, even normal amounts of stress from any source may generate severe physical, mental or emotional problems. If you have any history of mental illness or emotional problems personally or in your immediate family, whether temporary, occasional or intermittent, and whether treated or not, or have concerns about your ability to handle stress,
OUR ADVISORS STRONGLY RECOMMEND T HAT YOU DO NOT PARTICIPATE
in the Programme. If you are uncertain aboutwhether this applies to you, we advise you to discuss this with a mental health professional before participating inthe Programme.5. While it is ultimately your choice,
OUR ADVISORS ST RONGLY RECOMMEND T HAT YOU SHOULD NOTPARTICIPATE

in the Programme if you:(a) have a personal or family history of bi-polar affective disorder (manic-depressive disorder), schizophrenia, acute or chronic depression or other psychotic disorder, whether or not you or they are being or have ever been treated or hospitalised;
(b) are taking, have taken or been prescribed to take within the previous twelve months anti-anxiety drugs (such asLibrium, Ativan, Klonapin, Xanax, Dormicum or others); anti-depressants (such as Elavil, Prozac, Zoloft, Celexa,Cipram, Prothiaden or others); anti-psychotics (such as Thorazine, Haldol, Stelazine, Risperdal, Zyprexa, Dogmatil orothers); any medication to treat bi-polar disorders (such as Lithium, Gabapentin or Depakote); any drugs or medicines,whether prescription or non-prescription, intended to treat or affect mental processes or mood or to treat a chemicalimbalance; or anabolic steroids;

(c) have an unresolved history of drug or steroid abuse;

(d) are or have in the past year been depressed and/or considered or had ideas of suicide, self-harm or harm to another;(e) are currently in therapy and your therapist sees a health reason why you should not participate in the Programme; or

(f) are uncertain about your physical, mental or emotional ability to participate in the Programme.

6. From time to time, during or shortly after participating in the Programme, a very small number of people who have no personal or family history of mental illness or drug abuse have reported experiencing brief, temporary episodes of emotional upset ranging from heightened activity, irregular or diminished sleep, to mild psychotic-like behavior. An even smaller number of people have reported more serious symptoms ranging from mild psychotic behavior to psychosis occasionally requiring medical care and hospitalisation. In less than 1/1000 of 1% of participants, there have been reports of unexplained suicide or other destructive behavior. While we know of no independent studies to suggest that people who are physically,emotionally and mentally healthy are at risk in the Programme, certain persons have claimed that the Programme has caused or triggered in them a psychosis or psychotic event.

7. The Programme is designed for people who clearly understand they are responsible for their own health and well-being before, during and after the Programme.

It is not therapeutic in design, intent or methodology and is not to be used as a substitute for medical treatment, psychotherapy or health programme of any nature, regardless of what you may believe or have heard from anyone. We advise you that the Programme Leaders, staff and people who assist at theProgramme are not mental health professionals and there will not be any mental health professionals in attendance.

8. If you experience any symptoms or suggestion of mental distress in the Programme sessions, during the breaks or at the end of any session, or between sessions, you must immediately inform the Programme Leader or the Programme Supervisor. Insuch event, you and the Programme Leader will discuss the matter and you will determine what is the appropriate thing foryou to do. If you experience any symptoms or suggestions of mental distress outside of the Programme, we strongly recommend that you immediately inform a physician or mental health professional.

9. While there are breaks in the Programme approximately every 2 to 3 hours, we do not promise that we will always break at precisely that interval. You are, of course, free to leave the Programme room at any time. Each day there is one meal break in the late afternoon or early evening, usually lasting about an hour and a half. We suggest that you eat a meal beforearriving at the beginning of each day, and have a third meal or snack after you leave in the evening. You are welcome tobring snacks to eat during other short breaks in the Programme. If you have a medical condition requiring you to eat orcare for some special need more frequently than the regularly scheduled breaks, or need special seating or must stand andstretch frequently or have any other special needs, please notify the Programme Supervisor before the Programme beginsso that appropriate arrangements can be made for you.
(continued)(continued)

10. If you have not been feeling well or if you have been meaning to see a physician or a mental health professional for somecomplaint, symptom or concern, or if you have had difficulty sleeping lately, or been depressed, it is imperative that youconsult with a physician or mental health professional prior to your participating in the Programme. Upon request,Landmark will provide you with information required to enable you to make an informed decision about your participation.

11. Although the schedule of the Programme usually (but not always) accommodates sufficient time for sleeping, some participantshave stated that they did not have sufficient time to sleep or were unable to sleep at night before, during or after the Programme. Some people have entered the Programme without having had sufficient sleep. For some people, lack of sleep can become a serious problem and may be symptomatic of a mental or emotional illness. If in the past you have become (or think that you may become) ill or seriously distressed because of lack of sleep,
OUR ADVISORS STRONGLY RECOMMENDT HAT YOU DO NOT PARTICIPATE
in the Programme. If you do not have sufficient sleep or if you have a sleepdisorder during the week before the commencement of the Programme,
OUR ADVISORS STRONGLY RECOMMENDT HAT YOU DO NOT PARTICIPATE
in the Programme. If during the Programme, you feel that you have been unableto sleep or have not had sufficient sleep, you must notify your Programme Leader or Programme Supervisor at once.

12. If, after your consulting with your medical or mental or health professional, your health professional needs any additionalinformation about the Programme in order to resolve your ability to participate, please contact the Registration FulfillmentManager at the Centre delivering this Programme who will provide you with such information.

The following Agreements are intended to have legal significance. If you have anyquestions about their meaning, please feel free to consult a licensed legal professional.

CONFIDENTIALITY AGREEMENT
In order to promote and respect the confidentiality of our participants and our intellectual property, please read and sign thefollowing:I understand that The Landmark Forum (the “Programme”) is limited to people who have registered in the Programme. Inconsideration of and as a condition for permitting my participation in the Programme, I represent, covenant, warrant and agree that:(a) I have registered in the Programme under my own name for the sole purpose of participating in the Programme;(b) I will not publish, broadcast or disclose or assist another person or organisation in publishing, broadcasting or disclosingthe identity, likeness or actual or paraphrased comments, of other participants in the Programme, Staff or people whoassist during the Programme; and(c) I will not film, videotape, audiotape or otherwise record, by electronic, digital or any other means, all or any portion of theProgramme, and I will not record or take pictures, or assist another person or organisation in recording and/or takingpictures of any kind or nature, of all or any portion of the Programme or of any participants in the Programme, Staff orpeople who assist in the Programme. I will not take into the Programme room a tape or video recorder, movie or still camera,or any device, electronic or otherwise, intended to record the voice or likeness of any person in the Programme room.I further agree that the provisions of this Agreement shall be enforceable under the laws of India and my breach of thisAgreement shall constitute, among other things, a breach of contract and trespass for which Landmark Education shall have theright to full legal and equitable recourse, including injunctive or other extraordinary relief and damages. Any unenforceableportion of this Agreement shall not affect the remainder.I recognise that my breach of this Agreement will cause Landmark Education and/or the participants in the Programmeirreparable and substantial harm even though it may be impossible to ascertain the full monetary extent of their financial loss.Nothing in this Confidentiality Agreement is intended to limit you from sharing your experience of the Programme with anyone.
AGREEMENTS
(continued)

PROPRIETARY MATERIALS AGREEMENT
I understand that all materials, concepts, and information (collectively “Materials”) presented by Landmark Education(“Landmark”) during this Programme, either orally or in writing, are the property of Landmark and are protected by copyright,trade secret, and other applicable laws. I acknowledge that the Materials constitute commercially valuable, proprietary, confidentialproperty of Landmark, the design and development of which required the investment of substantial effort, time, and money.All rights in the Programme and the Materials are expressly reserved by Landmark. I agree not to reproduce, copy, or otherwiseduplicate, and not to distribute, lend, or otherwise transfer, the Materials without the prior written permission of Landmark.I agree not to use the Materials in any way that would compromise the confidential and proprietary nature of the Materials.I understand that the Materials presented by Landmark in this Programme are intended solely for use in the Programme.I understand that while I am free to use the Materials for my own personal use, and free to tell others about the benefits I realisedfrom the Programme, I agree not to resell, reproduce and sell, modify and sell, or repackage and sell the Materials. I agree thatI will not use the Materials for any purpose other than my own personal use except with the prior written permission of Landmark. I agree not to deliver the Materials themselves, either reproduced or modified, or anything derived from theMaterials, either orally or in writing, as part of any seminar, training programme, workshop, consulting, or similar businessactivity which I make available to my clients or to others, except with the prior written permission of Landmark.I agree that this Agreement supersedes any prior agreements I may have regarding the use of the Materials and that, if necessary, I will again obtain Landmark’s written permission before using any materials which I may have obtained permissionto use in the past.

INFORMED CONSENT
I have carefully read the Notice of Important Information and Health Warnings and understand the recommendations andinstructions. I have been informed to my satisfaction by the person who introduced me to the Programme or by a representative of Landmark Education about the general content of the Programme and I have had an opportunity to ask questions aboutanything I do not know or understand.

I recognise that it is not possible for Landmark to describe everything that may occurduring the Programme which generally consists of data presented by the Programme Leader; the voluntary sharing of experiences by other participants; and guided exercises or processes.

I acknowledge and understand that the Programme was designed for people who clearly understand they are responsible for theirown health and well-being before, during and after the Programme and who wish to enhance their living skills. I represent thatI am not participating in the Programme to handle any physical, mental or emotional problems and I fully understand that noportion of the Programme is delivered or supervised by health professionals.I am aware and understand that some people have personally perceived the Programme to be physically, mentally and/oremotionally stressful to them. I have been informed that certain persons with no personal or family history of current orprevious mental or emotional problems and no history of use of psychotropic or mood altering drugs reported havingexperienced psychotic episodes following the Programme.I acknowledge and understand that I have been
ST RONGLY ADVISED NOT T O PART ICIPAT E
in the Programme if:(a) I have been diagnosed with an emotional or mental disorder, or if someone in my immediate family has a history of emotional or mental disorder;(b) I am using or have used psychotropic or mood altering drugs which are listed in the Notice of Important Information andHealth Warnings above;(c) I am or have in the last year been depressed, contemplated suicide, self-harm or harm to another;(d) I have concerns about my ability to handle stress;(e) I have or may become ill or seriously disturbed because of lack of sleep or less sleep than I am accustomed to;(f) I am unwilling or unable to experience powerful emotions in myself or others;(g) I am currently in therapy and my therapist sees a health reason why I should not participate; or(h) I am uncertain about my physical, mental or emotional ability to participate in the Programme
AGREEMENTS
(continued)(continued)

AGREEMENTS
(continued)
I represent that:(a) I know of no reason that I should not participate in the Programme;

(b) I have considered the nature of the Programme and have voluntarily chosen to attend and not as a result of coercion,pressure, a condition of employment or to satisfy anyone other than myself;

(c) I am fully aware of what I am undertaking and that there may be risks associated with the Programme. I agree that Iam responsible for my own participation in the Programme and for my own physical, mental and emotional wellbeing, and that Landmark Education is responsible solely for the orderly presentation of the Programme; and (d) I willingly and knowingly assume for myself, my family members, executors, administrators, heirs, successors, legalrepresentatives and assigns all risks of physical and mental or emotional injuries which may occur during or after theProgramme.I agree to inform and discuss with the Programme Leader or Programme Supervisor immediately if at any time before theProgramme is completed, I experience any unusual physical sensation or pain or any mental or emotional discomfort.

If, following the completion of the Programme, I experience any unusual physical sensation or pain or any mental or emotional discomfort, I agree to notify the Manager of the Landmark Education Centre which delivered the Programme.I hereby indemnify and hold Landmark Education, its officers, managers, shareholders, affiliates, employees, agents and/orpeople who assist, harmless from all loss, cost, obligation or damage arising out of my participation in the Programme or inother activities or events related to the Programme.The failure of Landmark Education to enforce any of its rights shall not be construed as a waiver of any of its rights at any time thereafter. If any part or parts of this Agreement shall be deemed invalid or unenforceable, then that part or parts shallbe deemed severed from this Agreement and such severance shall not have any effect on the remaining portions of the Agreement.I acknowledge that my representations and agreements are freely given and are true to the best of my knowledge and areintended to be an inducement to Landmark Education to approve my participation in the Programme.
I ACKNOWLEDGE THAT I HAVE READ, UNDERSTAND AND AGREE TO COMPLY WITH THENOTICE OF IMPORTANT INFORMATION AND HEALTH WARNINGS, CONFIDENTIALITYAGREEMENT, PROPRIETARY MATERIALS AGREEMENT AND INFORMED CONSENT.

I agree that my signature on a faxed copy of this document shall be deemed an original.

Signature Date
If you are under 18 years of age, your parent or legal guardian must read and sign below:

ALL PARENTS OR LEGAL GUARDIANS WHO SHARE LEGAL CUSTODY OF THE ABOVE-NAMED MINOR MUST SIGN BELOW IN ORDER FORTHE ABOVE-NAMED MINOR TO PARTICIPATE IN THE LANDMARK FORUM.AS PARENTS OR LEGAL GUARDIANS OF THE ABOVE-NAMED MINOR:1. WE/I HAVE GIVEN OUR/MY PERMISSION FOR THE ABOVE-NAMED MINOR TO TAKE THE LANDMARK FORUM.2. WE/I AGREE TO COMPLY WITH THE ABOVE NOTICE OF IMPORTANT INFORMATION AND HEALTH WARNINGS, CONFIDENTIALITYAGREEMENT, PROPRIETARY MATERIALS AGREEMENT AND INFORMED CONSENT ON HIS/HER BEHALF.3. WE/I AGREE THAT OUR/MY SIGNATURE(S) ON A FAXED COPY OF THIS DOCUMENT SHALL BE DEEMED AN ORIGINAL.
Parent or Legal Guardian’s Signature DateParent or Legal Guardian’s Signature Date

SEXUAL HARASSMENT POLICY
Landmark Education is committed to providing an environment free from sexual or other forms of harassment. Any harassment is unlawful and will not be tolerated by Landmark Education. If you believe you have been unlawfully harassed,you should contact the local Centre Manager, or the Director of Human Resources at Landmark Education’s WorldHeadquarters in San Francisco at +1 415-616-2401. If you have any questions about Landmark Education’s SexualHarassment Policy or would like a copy of the Policy, please contact either of these people.
© 1991–2007 Landmark Education
www.landmarkeducation.com
510-IND-607

Landmark Forum

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Landmark's health warnings
Posted by: kdag ()
Date: November 28, 2016 09:03PM

I see that on this consent form, it states,
"I hereby indemnify and hold Landmark Education, its officers, managers, shareholders, affiliates, employees, agents and/orpeople who assist, harmless from all loss, cost, obligation or damage arising out of my participation in the Programme or in other activities or events related to the Programme."

I think that this last part, "or in other activities or events related to the Programme," seems, (deliberately), broad and vague, and too broad and vague to be legally binding, if they are talking about things that occur off-grounds, after we have completed the forum, and when we have not been told that it is "program-related." It is my belief that they knowingly and deliberately do harm to anyone who criticizes them.

A couple of months after I had completed the forum, and after having told the person who recruited me that I didn't think that LE really worked for me, I was awakened early one morning by a hang-up call on my cellphone.  Very few people had my cellphone number, but my (former) friend in LE had it.

Immediately after the hang-up call, I heard the sound of someone turning on my outdoor tap, and they left it wide open, with the water running out onto the ground. I got dressed and went outside to turn it off, and when I looked across the street, I saw some jackass standing there with a camera. Of course, I cannot prove that this person had anything to do with LE, but it was shortly after this when the real "fun" started.

Posted by: corboy ()
Date: November 29, 2016 05:41AM

A little something about Landmark and the waiver form. Mr. Ross was offered the opportunity to do the LEC seminar. He said he was willing - but refused to sign the waiver form.

[cultnews.com]

Landmark doesn't like being linked to EST even though it largely lionizes Erhard with rather "cult-like" devotion.

Landmark's legal defeat must be both personally and professionally painful for its General Counsel and legal strategist Art Schreiber. Perhaps that's why he attempted to bend the truth a bit within his press release.

For example Schreiber says, "At no time has Mr. Ross been willing… to take The Landmark Forum."

That is a false statement.

I repeatedly agreed to take the weekend seminar course Landmark presents called the Forum.

However, under no circumstances would I agree to sign paperwork waiving the right to a trial by jury in the event of any personal injury, even though such a waiver is required from every Landmark course participant.

Landmark decided not to follow-up after that.

Landmark hoped through its lawsuit to coerce concessions from RI.

However, Landmark received no concessions whatsoever, regarding the material archived at the RI database, adding additional material suggested by Landmark or somehow changing the format or entries at the message board.

And all settlement offers made by Landmark to RI were rejected.

Therefore, Landmark had no choice but to go forward and face further unsealed discovery or give up their lawsuit.

Landmark chose to give up and packed it in through a motion to dismiss its lawsuit with prejudice, which means it cannot be filed again.

And so as T.S. Eliot once remarked "it ends not with bang, but a whimper."

And in memory of Landmark's past critics who endured its threats to sue and/or frivolous litigation this may provide some long overdue and meaningful closure.

Look at what happened when a man told his boss he had underlying medical conditions and did NOT want to do Landmark.

[forum.culteducation.com]

What a scenario: to convince a Landmark enthusiast that your health precludes doing Landmark, you risk that person pressurizing you until you reveal
all sorts of confidential information about yourself.

It is our basic HUMAN RIGHT to say 'No" and have that "No" respected. If you're
not guilty of crime and in a detention facility, your word "no" should be respected, period. Anyone who keeps browbeating you is a brute.

Our valuable friend The Anticult had this to say about the Landmark waiver

Some time back, 'vlinden' one of the participants in a CEI message board discussion of Landmark provided a copy of the waiver form --this was early in 2008.

One section of that earlier waiver stated:

11. Although the schedule of the Program usually (but not always) accommodates sufficient time for sleeping, some participants have stated that they did not have sufficient time to sleep or were unable to sleep at night before, during or after the Program. Some people have entered the Program without having had sufficient sleep.

For some people, lack of sleep can become a serious problem and may be symptomatic of a mental or emotional illness.

Corboy: Hello, lack of sleep plus stress can TRIGGER bipolar episodes. Persons with BPD are advised to take care to protect their sleep hygiene.

[www.google.com]

Lack of sleep can make pre-existing depression worse.

[www.google.com]

Lack of sleep compromises both physical and psychological health. Lack of sleep actually impairs learning new information. Critical thinking is disrupted.

Health problems

[www.google.com]

Critical thinking

[www.google.com]

Landmark likes to talk about the much ballyhoed "Harvard STudy".

Here is an excerpt about sleep deprivation and critical thinking from .Harvard Magazine:

[harvardmagazine.com]

“If you are just trying to remember simple facts ?listing all the kings of England, say ?cramming all night works, ” he explains. “That’s because it’s a different memory system, the declarative memory system.

"But if you expect to be hit with a question like ‘Relate the French Revolution to the Industrial Revolution,’ where you have to synthesize connections between facts, then missing that night of sleep can be disastrous. Your ability to do critical thinking takes a massive hit? just as with alcohol, you’re knocking out the frontal-cortex functions.

Here is a version of the Landmark waiver form that was printed in the Google Groups alt.fan.landmark discussion.

When I clicked on 'Computeruser's name, the date given was 07/08/08. Might be interesting to see whether there are any differences between this version of the waiver and the one quoted just now by kdag.

https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=en#!msg/alt.fan.landmark/CTCHTmdrtKU/w83H7QDz_nwJ

2 posts by 2 authors

computeruser

7/18/08

You must read the section below carefully and completely.
1. We are pleased that you are going to participate in The Landmark Forum
(the "Program"). Many people have found the

Program to be an enjoyable and valuable experience. However, the Program is
not advisable for everyone. The purpose of this

Notice is to ensure that you are not one of the people for whom this Program
may be inadvisable.

We take our responsibility and your safety seriously. Please read each
section of this Notice carefully and completely so you can

make the right decision for yourself. The recommendations in this Notice
have been made by mental health professionals who

advise Landmark Education.

Although the number of people who have experienced serious problems during
or after the Program is quite small, you should

be certain whether the Program is appropriate for you. If you have any
questions, please contact a mental health professional.

We will assume from your participation in the Program and from your
declaration at the end of this application that you have

a full understanding of each and every paragraph which follows and that you
understand our recommendations and will comply

with our instructions.

You and you alone are responsible for your choice to participate in the
Program and for your own

health and well-being at all times prior to, during and after your
participation in the Program.

2. The Program is a unique course of instruction designed to support people
in being more effective in realizing their own

personal and societal goals. Through a series of philosophically rigorous
and open discussions, voluntary sharing of your

experience and short exercises, the Program provides an opportunity to
explore basic questions that have been of interest to

human beings throughout time and to examine many aspects of your own life.
In the Program, people come to grips with what

it means to be human - not as a mere classroom exercise, but as a rigorous
inquiry. The Program offers a unique technology

through which people create new possibilities for their lives.

3. In the Program, you will inquire into fundamental issues that have been
of interest and concern to us as human beings. The

experience of the Program is unique to each individual and there is no way
to predict in advance exactly what you may think or feel.

It is normal for some people to experience unwanted or unfamiliar emotions
from time to time, such as fear, anger, sadness, regret,

hatred, irritation and impatience. For most participants, exploring thoughts
and feelings that they have not fully explored before is a

useful and positive learning experience. Some participants have found that
exploring life's issues honestly may evoke uncomfortable

and unpleasant feelings. For others, the Program may occur as physically,
mentally and emotionally seriously distressing. If you are

unwilling to encounter any of these powerful experiences in yourself or in
others, or if you have any concern about your ability to

deal with such experiences, THE MENTAL HEALTH PROFESSIONALS WHO ADVISE
LANDMARK EDUCATION

("OUR ADVISORS") STRONGLY RECOMMEND THAT YOU DO NOT PARTICIPATE in the
Program.

4. Some people experience temporary and not seriously consequential stress
during and after the Program. For most people, stress

is a normal part of everyday life. However, people who have a history of
mental illness or serious emotional problems personally

or in their immediate family may be more vulnerable to stress and may
experience additional and very severe physical, mental

or emotional problems. In people who have physical, mental or emotional
problems, even normal amounts of stress from any

source may generate severe physical, mental or emotional problems. If you
have any history of mental illness or emotional

problems personally or in your immediate family, whether temporary,
occasional or intermittent, and whether treated or not, or

have concerns about your ability to handle stress, OUR ADVISORS STRONGLY
RECOMMEND THAT YOU DO NOT

PARTICIPATE in the Program. If you are uncertain about whether this applies
to you, we advise you to discuss this with a

mental health professional before participating in the Program.

(continued)

5. While it is ultimately your choice, OUR ADVISORS STRONGLY RECOMMEND THAT
YOU SHOULD NOT

PARTICIPATE in the Program if you:

(a) have a personal or family history of bi-polar affective disorder
(manic-depressive disorder), schizophrenia, acute or chronic

depression or other psychotic disorder, whether or not you or they are being
or have ever been treated or hospitalized;

(b) are taking, have taken or been prescribed to take within the previous
twelve months anti-anxiety drugs (such as Librium,

Ativan, Klonapin, Xanax, Dormicum or others); anti-depressants (such as
Elavil, Prozac, Zoloft, Celexa, Cipram,

Prothiaden or others); anti-psychotics (such as Thorazine, Haldol,
Stelazine, Risperdal, Zyprexa, Dogmatil or others); any

medication to treat bi-polar disorders (such as Lithium, Gabapentin or
Depakote); any drugs or medicines, whether

prescription or non-prescription, intended to treat or affect mental
processes or mood or to treat a chemical imbalance; or

anabolic steroids;

(c) have an unresolved history of drug or steroid abuse;

(d) are or have in the past year been depressed and/or considered or had
ideas of suicide, self-harm or harm to another;

(e) are currently in therapy and your therapist sees a health reason why you
should not participate in the Program; or

(f) are uncertain about your physical, mental or emotional ability to
participate in the Program.

6. From time to time, during or shortly after participating in the Program,
a very small number of people who have no personal or

family history of mental illness or drug abuse have reported experiencing
brief, temporary episodes of emotional upset ranging

from heightened activity, irregular or diminished sleep, to mild
psychotic-like behavior. An even smaller number of people have

reported more serious symptoms ranging from mild psychotic behavior to
psychosis occasionally requiring medical care and

hospitalization. In less than 1/1000 of 1% of participants, there have been
reports of unexplained suicide or other destructive behavior.

While we know of no independent studies to suggest that people who are
physically, emotionally and mentally healthy are at risk

in the Program, certain persons have claimed that the Program has caused or
triggered in them a psychosis or psychotic event.

7. The Program is designed for people who clearly understand they are
responsible for their own health and well-being

before, during and after the Program. It is not therapeutic in design,
intent or methodology and is not to be used as a

substitute for medical treatment, psychotherapy or health program of any
nature, regardless of what you may believe or have

heard from anyone. We advise you that the Program Leaders, staff and people
who assist at the Program are not mental health

professionals and there will not be any mental health professionals in
attendance.

8. If you experience any symptoms or suggestion of mental distress in the
Program sessions, during the breaks or at the end of any

session, or between sessions, you must immediately inform the Program Leader
or the Program Supervisor. In such event, you

and the Program Leader will discuss the matter and you will determine what
is the appropriate thing for you to do. If you

experience any symptoms or suggestions of mental distress outside of the
Program, we strongly recommend that you

immediately inform a physician or mental health professional.

9. While there are breaks in the Program approximately every 2 to 3 hours,
we do not promise that we will always break at precisely

that interval. You are, of course, free to leave the Program room at any
time. Each day there is one meal break in the late

afternoon or early evening, usually lasting about an hour and a half. We
suggest that you eat a meal before arriving at the beginning

of each day, and have a third meal or snack after you leave in the evening.
You are welcome to bring snacks to eat during other

short breaks in the Program. If you have a medical condition requiring you
to eat or care for some special need more frequently

than the regularly scheduled breaks, or need special seating or must stand
and stretch frequently or have any other special needs,

please notify the Program Supervisor before the Program begins so that
appropriate arrangements can be made for you.

10. If you have not been feeling well or if you have been meaning to see a
physician or a mental health professional for some

complaint, symptom or concern, or if you have had difficulty sleeping
lately, or been depressed, it is imperative that you consult

with a physician or mental health professional prior to your participating
in the Program. Upon request, Landmark will provide

you with information required to enable you to make an informed decision
about your participation.

11. Although the schedule of the Program usually (but not always)
accommodates sufficient time for sleeping, some participants

have stated that they did not have sufficient time to sleep or were unable
to sleep at night before, during or after the Program.

Some people have entered the Program without having had sufficient sleep.
For some people, lack of sleep can become a

serious problem and may be symptomatic of a mental or emotional illness. If
in the past you have become (or think that you may

become) ill or seriously distressed because of lack of sleep, OUR ADVISORS
STRONGLY RECOMMEND THAT YOU

DO NOT PARTICIPATE in the Program. If you do not have sufficient sleep or if
you have a sleep disorder during the week

before the commencement of the Program, OUR ADVISORS STRONGLY RECOMMEND THAT
YOU DO NOT

PARTICIPATE in the Program. If during the Program, you feel that you have
been unable to sleep or have not had sufficient

sleep, you must notify your Program Leader or Program Supervisor at once.

12. If, after your consulting with your medical or mental or health
professional, your health professional needs any additional

information about the Program in order to resolve your ability to
participate, please contact the Registration Fulfillment

Manager at the Center delivering this Program who will provide you with such
information.

NOTICE OF IMPORTANT INFORMATION AND HEALTH WARNINGS (continued)

The following Agreements are intended to have legal significance. If you
have any questions

about their meaning, please feel free to consult an attorney.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/29/2016 05:42AM by corboy.

Date: November 29, 2016 06:16AM

Yes, similar to mine. I told the people who were in the room when they recruited me that I was on medication for depression, and that I was a chronic insomniac, (I was still sort of trying to get out of it, but these things were true). They shrugged it off and said that it didn't matter. One person who was there told me that the same had been true of her, but that she had benefitted, and that I should do it anyway,

The thing that struck me about the O.P. here was how they had added on the vague statement about, "or in other activities or events related to the Programme." There was similar wording in the one that I signed, and I recall asking them what those would be. As I recall, their answer was very non-specific, and told me nothing, Like an idiot, I signed anyway. I didn't wish to disappoint my "friend," especially since I owed her the down payment.

Date: February 04, 2017 08:17PM

In a very late response to the first post on his thread:

"Note they even ask you what you intend to accomplish and then tell you that there is no suggestion or guarantee that you will get those results! Hilarious."

They have NO intention that you will get those results. It's pure bait and switch. This is demonstrated by the fact that one of their assignments plainly acknowledges that you did NOT get what you came for, (and asks for what you did get). Since they know in advance that they will be giving this assignment in every forum, they obviously know that you will not get your desired results.

On to the actual waiver. Here's their description of what the program IS:

"2. ... Through a series of philosophically rigorous
and open discussions, voluntary sharing of your experience and short exercises, the Program provides an opportunity to explore basic questions that have been of interest to human beings throughout time and to examine many aspects of your own life."

And here is some information about what is supposedly IS NOT, and, one would assume, what they WON'T do:

"7. ... It is not therapeutic in design,
intent or methodology and is not to be used as a substitute for medical treatment, psychotherapy or health program of any nature, regardless of what you may believe or have heard from anyone. We advise you that the Program Leaders, staff and people who assist at the Program are not mental health professionals and there will not be any mental health professionals in attendance."

One would assume, from reading this, that they would not use any technology that would only be used, (with signed, informed consent), by a mental health professional after careful evaluation and in a carefully controlled setting. It has been noted elsewhere that they use flooding, and this would fit into that category. Under these circumstances,  the signing of this waiver seems to me to be more a NEGATION of consent than it is consent, because you will have signed a form that says that they WON'T do these things.

I was also told by a staff member about their use of a "sound emitting device." The specific purpose of the device was not explained to me, but having experienced it, my best guess is that its sole purpose is to produce extreme stress.

I did NOT consent to its use, nor did I have the opportunity to refuse. The effects were both psychological and physical, and 100% unpleasant. The staffer justified the use of this thing by saying that it was used only on hard cases, and that, "We sometimes help the police." I was told that it would NOT be used on me. I knew that I  had no reason to worry about the police. I have since talked with someone who was familiar with law enforcement,  and he told me that he did not believe that ANY police department would get behind what these people were doing, so again, it was almost certainly a lie.

As to its not being therapeutic in intent, I believe it. The intent, to me, seems purely malicious.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/04/2017 08:29PM by kdag.

Date: January 02, 2018 01:08AM

Here's what Margaret Singer had to say. The whole article is a quick read, but in lieu of a highlighter, I cherry-picked a few points that seemed especially relevant here. Her description of second-generation thought reform so accurately describes Landmark.

[www.culteducation.com]

2nd paragraph:

"Programs used the organization and application of intense guilt/shame/anxiety manipulation, combined with the production of strong emotional arousal in settings where people did not leave because of social and psychological pressures or because of enforced confinement. The pressures could be reduced only by participants' accepting the belief system or adopting behaviors promulgated by the purveyors of the thought reform programs."

From 5th paragraph:

"The subject person's motivation to adopt the manipulator's position and to become obedient is manufactured by inducing extreme anxiety and emotional distress. "

" The goal was to hold the subject at the point of maximum stress without inducing psychosis. "

From 7th paragraph:

"In the newer thought reform programs, attacks appear to be designed to destabilize the subject's most central aspects of the experience of the self. The newer programs undermine a person's basic consciousness, reality awareness, beliefs and world view, emotional control, and defense mechanisms."

From 8th paragraph:

"Second-generation programs often incorporate technical advances in influence production, such as hypnosis to intensify recalled or imagined experiences, emotional flooding, sleep deprivation, stripping away of various psychological defense mechanisms, and the induction of cognitive confusion. Second-generation programs are illustrated by certain cults, in therapeutic communities gone astray, and in some large-group awareness programs."

From 13th paragraph:

"The tactics of a thought reform program are organized to destabilize individuals' sense of self by getting them to drastically reinterpret their life's history, radically alter their world view, accept a new version of reality and causality, and develop dependency on the organization,..."

All of these things are so glaringly obvious at L.E.

These things should be listed on the consent form, in the description of what the program IS. THEN, and only then, would they have obtained informed consent.

They should also mention that, (especially if they consider you a "hard case"), they sometimes extract information from your recruiter, and might use this information to meddle in areas of your life that you have not invited them into.

They should also list the illnesses described in the section titled, "Induced Psychopathologies," when they talk about possible risks. Then, if somebody wants to sign that thing, at least they know what they're getting into.

It seems that Landmark has appropriated the more traditional metaphysical concept of "breakdown," (things aren't working), and applied it to something far more harmful.

This is NOT what most metaphysicians are talking about when they speak of breakdowns preceding breakthroughs, but Landmark seems to use that concept, tied to this part:

"The goal was to hold the subject at the point of maximum stress without inducing psychosis." (5th paragraph).

In my humble opinion.

Re: Landmark's health warning; unconscionable contract
Date: July 26, 2018 03:49AM

Just found this. Think it fits?

[en.m.wikipedia.org]

Date: July 26, 2018 07:58AM

Here's another definition of an "Unconscionable Contract," from another site:

[legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com]

From legal dictionary:

"unconscionable
adj. referring to a contract or bargain which is so unfair to a party that no reasonable or informed person would agree to it. In a suit for breach of contract, a court will not enforce an unconscionable contract (award damages or order specific performance) against the person unfairly treated on the theory that he/she was misled, lacked information, or signed under duress or misunderstanding. It is similar to an "adhesion contract," in which one party has taken advantage of a person dealing from weakness. (See: contract, adhesion contract)"

Copyright © 1981-2005 by Gerald N. Hill and Kathleen T. Hill. All Right reserved.

"unconscionable adjective atrocious, blackguard, completely unreasonable, conniving, conscienceless, corrupt, criminal, designing, dishonest, dishonorable, excessive, exorbitant, extreme, grievous, grossly unjust, immoderate, impermissible, indefensible, inequitable, inexcusable, inexpiable, inordinate, intemperate, intriguing, knavish, monstrous, outrageous, preposterous, rascally, reprehensible, tricky, unbalanced, undue, unequal, unethical, unfair, unforgivable, unjust, unjustifiable, unprincipled, unreasonable, unscrupulous, wrong"

I would point out this part:
"...against the person unfairly treated on the theory that he/she was misled, lacked information, or signed under duress or misunderstanding."

I suspect that would describe many of us.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/26/2018 08:02AM by kdag.

Date: July 26, 2018 08:32AM

Oops, my citation was not complete. The synonyms, (2nd quote in the above post), came from:

Burton's Legal Thesaurus, 4E. Copyright © 2007 by William C. Burton. Used with permission of The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc.

Posted by: bakkagirl ()
Date: July 26, 2018 02:08PM

It is a "Catch 22", in that people who not trained to deliver psycho-therapeutic interventions are also tasked with evaluating the mental fitness of individuals to participate in what re-categorized as a "rigorous philosophical investigation of blah, blah, blah."

The mental health community should have been all over this a long time ago.

One has to wonder...

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.