Woman Within
Posted by: Clearance ()
Date: February 10, 2013 04:53AM

I was recently faced with some rather aggressive pushing by a friend to attend a "Woman Within" retreat weekend. I had never heard of Woman Within before. When I looked it up, I could find very little information on what was involved with the retreat. When I asked the friend for details on what activities I would be partaking in, what outcomes I could expect to have, etc., I was met with no answers, only responses like "Its different for everyone" and "if you knew ahead of time, you wouldn't do it". I mentioned that it was a lot of money to attend this retreat, and that I like to be an informed consumer before spending a lot of money on something. I want to be able to give INFORMED consent before signing up for something, especially something that costs $700 to sign up for. Not only did I get no answers, I got intense pressure to sign up. I was told that the financial concerns were just excuses. I am also on a strict, controlled diet for health reasons that I plan out each day, and when I asked about my level of control over my meals and snacking while away at this retreat, I was told I was "making up yet another excuse" to not go to this retreat. I was told that every question that I had was "me putting up roadblocks" and that "the roadblocks need to come down." I was also told "You need to trust me. You seem to have issues with trust." As we got closer and closer to the "deadline" for my signing up, the pressure got more and more intense as I continued to think about it while trying to get more information before deciding. I was told that the reason I was asking all these questions was because I was putting up roadblocks and that the questions were an indication of how badly I NEEDED this retreat. The pressure eventually became, "You need to do this for your family. You need to do this for your son." and "If you don't do this, I am going to think that you just don't care" (about my family). Now, I am a person who is generally high-functioning with a demanding career and a one-year-old with the usual issues one faces with career-life balance and raising a child. I am always open to self-improvement and also to new things, but this struck me as pretty creepy. The methods of trying to pressure me into signing up for something without giving me full disclosure of what it is I would be signing up for seem like a red flag. I decided to decline and that this retreat probably isn't going to be up my alley. But I continue to be concerned about it and about my friend's involvement in it and aggressive attempts to recruit me into it, as something seems really off. Anyone know anything about this group?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Woman Within
Posted by: corboy ()
Date: February 10, 2013 07:52AM

"if you knew ahead of time, you wouldn't do it".

I mentioned that it was a lot of money to attend this retreat, and that I like to be an informed consumer before spending a lot of money on something. I want to be able to give INFORMED consent before signing up for something, especially something that costs $700 to sign up for. Not only did I get no answers, I got intense pressure to sign up. I was told that the financial concerns were just excuses.

Read these links and see if anything matches up.

[books.google.com]

[www.culteducation.com]

Date: February 10, 2013 07:54AM

This too--from a blog

[lgattruth.wordpress.com]

couple of things I have noticed for myself:

Often people who have been on these courses are told not to say what goes on there because this will spoil the experience for others who might want to do them in the future

Posted by: ginah ()
Date: February 15, 2013 01:35AM

Woman within is the female version of the mankind project aka new warriors training.

Posted by: newfuture ()
Date: February 15, 2013 11:47PM

I'd be very suspicious of any course/group/event/seminar that seeks to change anything within anyone.

Internal shifts are psychological, emotional and mental in nature. Nobody should be tampering with your mind, emotions or pysche without knowing exactly what they are doing and without having a positive intention which is geared towards genuinely enhancing life. This would be the field of a psychologist, psychotherapist or even a psychiatrist i.e. someone who is well trained in that area, understands their own biases and self and is ethical. Even then, you still must do due diligence. It is a very delicate part of life, and one that if abused can be disastrous - as I know from my own personal experience.

Just tell your friend a firm NO and that's it. You are not under any obligation to provide her with a reason. It is your own money that she is asking you to spend, your own time that she is asking you to give up, and potentially your own sanity that could be destroyed in the process. It is not for her to dictate, coerce or try and influence what you do with your money/time/mind/resources or anything else. You have every right to say a firm no and leave it at that.

Regarding your friend not being able to tell you about the course. Corboy is right that sometimes people are told not to tell what happens. Many times, they simply also cannot remember because: a) there is far too much information provided at such seminars for the mind to process well - information overload, which leads to mental/emotional exhaustion, shut down and collapse, is a key part of trying to reform someone's beliefs and control their minds - b) the information given is convoluted, contradictory, nonsensical and self referential in many instances that the participants actually have a hard time retaining any of it. So what they remember is really the most basic parts that the mind has been able to grasp. c) so much of what is shared is so personal that they don't want to give away too many details so you won't know the intensely personal nature (some of it quite dark and unpleasant) of what people have said there - either because it may scare you away and also because it may mean your friend revealing some of her own stuff to you.

If you don't feel right about it, don't do it. Trust your instincts. And read up on LGATs on this forum and others.

Date: March 07, 2013 09:59PM

The person who wrote this article was invited by a friend to join a group weekend, and the friend refused to tell her what would happen.

Article gives information on how hazardous it is to enter any "transformative" event with no information about what will be done.

[culteducation.com]

Posted by: oday ()
Date: April 29, 2013 03:49PM

I have attended this ...... the course is very well supervised and very well thought out out and there are many that will have derived great benefit from it. The reason you are not told anything about the course is because the exercise would not work if you knew beforehand this is a journey of discovery about yourself.... I think the main problem you have had here is the fact your friend has tried to force you on the course...... for me the course was good but not life changing... it is emotionally intense more for some than others it all depends on whats going on inside you as to how intense the course will be. The course was overall positive however there was a part of it i did not like and it did not suit me i chose not to participate in this particular part and this was okay i was not made to feel bad for refusing. This course is definately intended to build up and empower it is more about understanding the psychology of your own mind and why you are who you are, and to lead you to a greater understanding of yourself...... the course is not a spiritual one... no one tells you you should be thinking anything the exercise used brings you to your own conclusion about things there are no right or wrong answers..... i was very impressed by the exercise used.

The course has not changed my life but it was positive on the whole the rest is up to me my only criticism is that there should of been someone get intouch with me after the course as a follow up and they haven't though i do have the organisers number so this I can sort out.

I met some really nice people that had been through alot in their lives they were just regular women ........ I have had alot on since the course and only just started to reflect on it 2 months on...... i learnt alot about myself and where i need to be to get what i want.

I was a Jehovahs Witness many years ago I know what mind control/brainwashing is ........ this is definatley not that if thats is what your worried about and the course is supported by highly qualified mental health practictioners

Posted by: oday ()
Date: April 29, 2013 03:58PM

The course is run by qualified practitoners and there are lots of them ....... the exercise used needs first responses hence the reason you cant be told...... the accommodation is good and all meals are provided...... qualified practitioners cost money as does food and accommodation. The people there are highly qualified in the mental health field this is made very clear it is a safe enviroment.

Posted by: rrmoderator ()
Date: April 29, 2013 08:11PM

oday:

You say "the people there are highly qualified in the mental health field."

How are they qualified? Are they licensed psychologists or professional counseors?

What licensing do they possess?

Is the program somehow licensed or endorsed as a counseling program? Is if officially endorsed by a licensed mental health facility, mental health board, etc.?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.