The Secret (power of negative thinking)
Posted by: John Fox ()
Date: June 02, 2007 08:39PM

New article in Slate recently published.

[www.slate.com]

John

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Hope ()
Date: June 02, 2007 09:11PM

Excellent! The Slate article is a follow up to the last post I made in this thread....

[board.culteducation.com]

Since Oprah and company sandbagged the Christian critic she invited on to her show when she was pushing The Secret, I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for her to invite Karen Cerulo onto her show.

Posted by: skeptic ()
Date: June 03, 2007 02:12AM

Yes! Excellent! The dangers of positive thinking, for sure.

There's an ad on the busses where I live. It's simply two check-off boxes and two choices: put head in sand/address global warming.

I've been noticing lately that since I've emerged from the "optimistic trance" I am very upset about some things that before I was numb to. I had my head in the sand (more like, up my ass) and was practicing the disempowering mindgame of 'acceptance of what is'.

I reflected on that idiotic new-age mantra: everything is exactly as it should be. UGH! What a way to keep people blind and inactive. What a prescription for disaster, personal & planetary. Also a great way to discourage questioning the ideology a cult leader is peddling.

"Everything is as it should be". What a dangerous attitude.

Posted by: Rswinters ()
Date: June 03, 2007 02:37AM

There is a huge benefit, and advantage for a person who chooses to have this view of life though.

It keeps my focus off of being accountable for my behavior and its affect on another person by not allowing for them to say it is unwelcomed by them and should be changed or stopped.

This is negative, and it is not allowed in me as I choose to only allow positive to be around me.

If my behavior is negative to you? That is a negative to me as I am not allowed to be free to do what I want without being responsible, or accountable how I am interacting with you.

I will just need to remove myself from this negative environment, and find a more positive one.

When I run into this negative relational dynamic with another. I don't remember what I have contributed to this negative relational dynamic because its a negative and I will not dwell on this thought.

On, and on, and on chasing the tail of positive in my life. Because I can remove negative by changing my environment, or removing negative in me, and negative people from my life.

Because its all about me, me, me, me. This meaningless view of accepting what is will make me happy, and give me positive in my life.

Wait, what! You mean, I am the one bringing the negative? No, not possible. I can't be the problem, because...

Uggggghhhhh. What a neverending loop this self focus mindset that gets created from only allowing positive to be around me, or in me.

Can we say arrogance? We all are both good/bad and positive/negative in who we are.

Lets stop the bullcrap of refusing to face this within each of us.

I will start with me. Who will join me?

Posted by: skeptic ()
Date: June 03, 2007 03:58AM

If my behavior is negative to you, that means that YOU'RE being negative!

You're right, this never-ending negative/positive loop is NUTSSSSSSSSS.

When the mind is occupied playing games on itself it can't question the point of the whole thing or do much of anything. It's really disabled.

Posted by: Hope ()
Date: June 03, 2007 05:24AM

This lack of responsibility and just avoiding negativity or people that don't bring you what you want is very childish and very narcissistic.

My sociopathic naturopath removed the belongings of his live-in girlfriend from their apartment after he attended LEC seminars and moved in with a woman he met at the Forum. He felt no sense of responsibility or need to even explain his actions to the former GF. You see, it would have been negative to stop and think about the consequences his actions might have for her. Since she was apparently attracting that kind of negative behavior, it was HER responsibility that HE moved out.

He screamed at a patient, who had questions and complaints about his care at one point, that the patient was responsible because they chose to go to him! Talk about being so engrossed in this type of thinking that you don't even know you're dissing yourself!!!

Posted by: Jack Oskar Larm ()
Date: June 03, 2007 11:07AM

Important points made in the Slate report:

Patti, an air-traffic controller, theorizes that only people in an affluent, technologically advanced society, packed with fail-safes and conveniences, could be so susceptible to The Secret's brand of hubris. "Things usually work out for the best," she writes, "but only because someone somewhere is working hard to make it so. In my profession as an air traffic controller this is true every day. You expect and prepare for the worst and use all of your skills to keep it from happening; but when the worst happens, those controllers that imagined dire scenarios and possible solutions perform better than those that did not."

And this:

Timothy, an experimental nuclear physicist in North Carolina, waxes poetic about the armies of contingency planners in his line of work. "Some of my colleagues are employed solely to envision novel disastrous scenarios, spending their entire working lives imagining the worst," he writes. "Across this land, an army of pessimists—chemical pessimists, medical pessimists, nuclear pessimists, electrical pessimists, political and military pessimists, environmental and biological pessimists, computer pessimists, consumer safety pessimists, economic and financial pessimists—stand guard over America's babies.

The babies of the western world! How lovely it would be to be wrapped up in cotton. Someone else (the universe) filling your bottle full of warm milk. Offering unconditional love to a screaming baby...

I'm dumbfounded! Thanks for some truly inspiring reading.

Posted by: John Fox ()
Date: June 04, 2007 04:01PM

If it wasn't for our natural human laziness ... would the 'snooze' button exist?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.