Revisiting a horrible time in my life
Posted by: eccentrk ()
Date: February 04, 2007 11:55PM

Hello everyone. I am new to this forum, but a veteran to this mind altering cult bs. In 1992/3 my husband dragged me into this basic Lifespring thing. After putting up with that, he pushed me into the next level. (Yes, I allowed myself to be pushed by him and manipulated by them). Well, I flunked the second level because I wasn't into pretending I was dying and calling out to my dead loved ones. (I'm a believer in spirits and the 'other side', etc. and that would have been disrespectful)

Lifespring didn't bring us closer together. We divorced. We remarried 4 years ago, but live apart. It's the closest we can get. He still runs around saying 'So what, now what?'. Here's the epilog of our story... My husband now wants to send our daughter there.

I have refused to put my signiture on any loans where he can have fluid cash. I sent email links to my husband and daughter so they realize ours is NOT an isolated case.

I threatened to sabotage any Lifespring experiences for them.

I'm so glad to have found you all. I thought the absurdity had ended and we ewre recovering. I can't believe he wants to give this another go round!!!

Thank-you all for listening and for being here to post to. What a freaky morning!!!

Andrea

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ajinajan ()
Date: February 05, 2007 02:01AM

eccentrk
Hello everyone. I am new to this forum, but a veteran to this mind altering cult bs. In 1992/3 my husband dragged me into this basic Lifespring thing. After putting up with that, he pushed me into the next level. (Yes, I allowed myself to be pushed by him and manipulated by them). Well, I flunked the second level because I wasn't into pretending I was dying and calling out to my dead loved ones. (I'm a believer in spirits and the 'other side', etc. and that would have been disrespectful)

Lifespring didn't bring us closer together. We divorced. We remarried 4 years ago, but live apart. It's the closest we can get. He still runs around saying 'So what, now what?'. Here's the epilog of our story... My husband now wants to send our daughter there.

I have refused to put my signiture on any loans where he can have fluid cash. I sent email links to my husband and daughter so they realize ours is NOT an isolated case.

I threatened to sabotage any Lifespring experiences for them.

I'm so glad to have found you all. I thought the absurdity had ended and we ewre recovering. I can't believe he wants to give this another go round!!!

Thank-you all for listening and for being here to post to. What a freaky morning!!!

Andrea

My god, Lifespring is still around???

I thought they were run into the ground with all those lawsuits surrounding all those deaths linked to their Large Group Awareness Training coursework???

[www.culteducation.com]

[www.culteducation.com]

Posted by: eccentrk ()
Date: February 05, 2007 03:17AM

Apparently so. Maybe I overeacted? Do you think perhaps my husband hasn't found out yet? It's possible...I'll try and find out. I'm pretty sure they are under another name.

I thought it was Vistar, but haven't checked it out until this morning, and only minimally in between panic and nicotine attacks. (It's been 8 days)

If I make it through this without a cigarette, Im buying myself a trophy!

Posted by: kath ()
Date: February 05, 2007 04:18AM

OMG I just looked at the first of those links. If this doesn't convince your husband not to let your daughter do it, I don't know what will.

"More than 30 lawsuits were filed against Lifespring, alleging that the training had caused everything from emotional damage to psychotic breakdowns to suicide. The first unfavorable jury verdict came in 1984, when Deborah Bingham, a 30-year-old blackjack dealer, was awarded $800,000. She said she'd been in a psych ward for a month after attending two Lifespring courses. In 1982, after David Priddle jumped off a building, his family accepted an undisclosed sum; so did Artie Barnett's family, when Barnett, who couldn't swim, drowned as fellow participants egged him on. And Gail Renick's family received $450,000 after she died from an asthma attack during a training session. She had been led to believe her medication was unnecessary. Gabriella Martinez testified that she heard her trainer's voice in her head the night she swallowed a bottle of sleeping pills. Lifespring settled the case out of court."

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.