Pages: 12345678Next
Current Page: 1 of 8
Dr. Phil, Oprah, etc.
Posted by: Cosmophilospher ()
Date: September 21, 2004 06:26AM

I am watching this Dr. Phil show, where he is going into a town, and it looks like her is going to try and "turn the town around".

I have seen a fair amount of the Dr. Phil show, and its very clear to me that he and Oprah use MANY of the same techniques of mass persuasion, and "false intimacy" that are used in LGAT's.

It seems pretty clear to me that Dr. Phil is in it for the millions, with all the books, and product marketing.

But beyond that, the guys EGO seems to be almost infinite.
I have never in my life seen a psychologist, with such an obvious streak of Narcissism.
His arrogance is truly unbelievable. I think he genuinely believes he is some kind of a great psychologist, like Maslow, or Rogers. He seem to really believe it.

He seems to think he can stop bullying, teen sex, drugs, alcohol, spousal abuse, dysfunctional relationships, and every other human problem on the face of the earth.

Time and time again he brings people on his show, gets them to expose all of their dysfunctions for mass entertainment, then basically shames them and humiliates them publicly for behaving so stupidly. Then they go home, and find out everyone knows their dirty laundry, and they "change" or pretend in the short term they have changed, to regain some social approval. Then Dr. Phil seems to claim he has healed them.
Whereas the cases that go sour, like one i saw called "Rescuing Angela", (or something like that), where the teen ends up in jail, well, they just don't talk about that again.

I don't think he even believes in the concept of "personality disorder", which by definition, is very hard to change, and is dysfunctional. His solution to this seems to be to yell at people on TV, and then expect them to change through willpower. Anyone who knows anything about this knows that it can take a LONG TIME to modify aspects of a personality disorder.

So Dr. Phil is selling the idea of "instant change miracle cure" as well, even though he denies it.

The guy also does mass seminars, and in my view, his show is a form of LGAT, or at least uses many of their techniques.

Now i am not saying he has no value whatsoever, but the guy's Ego is totally out of control. If anyone notices elements of the LGAT in Dr Phil, and Oprah, perhaps make a note of it here.
There is no question to me these folks are using all sorts of techniques of Mass Persuasion. Just look at the frenzy they wip their audience into.

I think its very important to sort the wheat from the chaff with these sorts of systems.

Coz

Options: ReplyQuote
Dr. Phil, Oprah, etc.
Posted by: SarahL ()
Date: September 21, 2004 07:33AM

Worth checking out Phil's web site. [www.drphil.com]

[i:1603753da9]"Dr. Phil McGraw has single-handedly galvanized millions of people to "get real" about their own behavior and create more positive lives."[/i:1603753da9]

And check out what one of his sons is doing. [www.drphil.com]

Definitely fits the lgat pattern. Phil has an athletic coach motivational type style, designed to whip up the crowds, he uses all sorts of manipulative techniques to get his guests/victims to do as he wishes.
"How's that working for you?" One of his catch phrases, he already has the audience hanging onto his every word, he cues us with his expression and words, body language, as to what is right and what is wrong.
Ego? His seems to be huge.

[ottawa.cbc.ca]

Last Updated | Jun 18 2004 08:53 AM EDT

[b:1603753da9]Dr. Phil is entertainment, not training says watchdog[/b:1603753da9]

OTTAWA - Dr. Phil will impart his wisdom Friday to public servants who are attending a day-long conference called "The Power Within," for which the superstar motivational speaker is the big draw.

And that taxpayers are footing the bill for the bureaucrats to attend has rankled the Canadian Taxpayers Federation.

"As good a public speaker as Dr. Phil may be, the bottom line is this is entertainment, this is Hollywood comes to Ottawa," said the federation's Bruce Winchester. "I'm not sure it's an opportunity that should be paid for by taxpayers."

Dr. Phil, or Phil McGraw, is a self-help guru who's become a sensation in the U.S. as a talk show host and best-selling author.

He's famous for sayings like, "anger is nothing more than an outward expression of hurt, fear and frustration," and "awareness without action is worthless."

The Canadian Customs and Revenue Agency is sending about 50 of its employees to the conference, as are other departments. In addition, the Ottawa-Carleton District School Board is sending 58 of its people.

The government departments and the school board see it as training, and Dr. Phil is just one of eight speakers who will cover such topics as negotiation and stress management. Other speakers include the former CEO of Sony Pictures Entertainment, and the author of the book The One-Minute Manager.

There will be 5,000 in attendance. The ticket price is $229, but with bulk buying, $40 was discounted for the public servants.

School board trustee Lynn Scott says at $189 a ticket, the event is half the price of many conferences, and will help the board in its goal of training strong leaders.

"We felt it was important to send some leaders to an event like this, in the expectation that they'll come back from it with renewed vigour and inspired to do great things for our kids," said Scott.

Career consultant Alan Kearns agrees seminars like these can help change a workplace, but the employer needs to follow up with those who attend, so they can put what they learn into practice.

He also says a general event, like Friday's, doesn't offer the same benefits as hiring someone for an in-house presentation.

"Typically, that person or organization would target the message and have done a lot of research and framing of the message around the organization's needs, which is obviously not going to be happening."

Scott says she's not worried that the event isn't geared to the school board, because educators can learn about leadership from people in all fields.

Dr. Phil, Oprah, etc.
Posted by: SarahL ()
Date: September 21, 2004 07:50AM

[www.bitchpanic.com]

[b:d6769f4909]Oprah Switches from Estrogen to est[/b:d6769f4909]
September 10, 2001

Dr. Phil, Oprah, etc.
Posted by: Hope ()
Date: September 21, 2004 10:06AM

I caught part of a Dr. Phil show about obesity, hosted by Katie Couric. Phil's assessment is that it's a choice. A medical doctor was on who politely disagreed with him and gave some info on leptin, a substance in the body that programs how a person gains or loses weight. Dr. Phil, in response to Katie asking him his thoughts on what the doc said, seemed to say he agreed, and IMO twisted his definition of "choice" so that he wouldn't look bad.

I think if one of the overweight guests had just gone with Dr. Phil's advice, they'd be thinking pretty much like it was their fault they were overweight. Granted, this particular guest admitted to eating fast food 12 x a week, but there are people who don't do that, eat relatively well, and still have a problem losing. Interestingly, Dr. Phil started giving dietary advice. That's something Tony Robbins began doing also.

Dr. Michael Gershon at (oh shoot - NYU or Columbia?) is doing a lot of research on the nervous system in the gut, where much of the body's serotonin is made. Functional problems like irritable bowel syndrome are generally thought to be emotional, but his reasearch and that of others over the past 20 years, is showing that depression can be CAUSED by IBS and the problem stems from the serotonin receptors and transporters being screwed up by malabsorption and other chemical imbalances. Gershon states, "Many physicians still have yet to learn the lesson Hippocrates drew from epilepsy in his ancient book, On the Sacred Diseaseā€. Hippocrates had no idea why patients with epilepsy had fits, but that made no difference to him. The cause, he was certain, would eventually become known . In the meantime, however, it was useless to attribute the condition to a supernatural origin. So, too, pain from the gut. The fact that doctors do not yet always know why disease occurs is no reason to dismiss its severity or to attribute the pain to what substitutes in the modern world for supernatural cause, psychoneurosis.that a lot of magical thinking goes on when science cannot find an answer.

Dr. Phils assessment that obesity is a choice is the same reasoning I found in Landmark. Sickness is a choice.

Jump ahead to 8/04 and Dr. Phil revealed results of his dieting clients. One woman, whom Dr. Phil said made the choice to lose weight and do the work required, was sent for plastic surgery and appeared on Extreme Makeover, compliments of Dr. Phil. She was obviously very eager to please him and just went on and on about how He saved her life, gave her back her life, blah, blah, blah.

Dr. Phil, Oprah, etc.
Posted by: Cosmophilospher ()
Date: September 21, 2004 10:42AM

This is quite a good article. Perhaps we can post that article in this thread? Its a worthwhile read.
[www.bitchpanic.com]

I saw what what done in that episode, and it was totally idiotic.
Just putting a bunch of people with REAL problems in a pressure cooker, and pushing them until they "crack".
Why?
Its good TV.

Did it help any of them to get better?
Who knows, you never see them again.
But it looks good on TV, lots of dramatics, crying, screaming.

Dr. Phil ran that thing like a fascist. If you DARED to question him, then he would throw you out.

By the way, his Weight Challenge was pretty successful so far.
Why?
SELECTION.
He CAREFULLY picked the people for it, so he could pick the people most likely to succeed. Its the same thing a hypnotist does.

Dr. Phil is a good speaker, and a good salesman, and gets good ratings.
Is he a good psychologist?
I don't think so. It would be interesting to see what other psychologists think of him.

When he does "help" people, what he does is use his show to get lost of free professional resources for people! Wow, what a genius.

I would be interested in what other professional psychologists think about him.
I think he is just a Businessman, a good Speaker, and an Egomaniac, and perhaps a below-average psychologist. After all, i am not aware of ONE paper he has published.
Does he help people? I don't know.

Its too bad he doesn't use his show to bring on people like Seligman, and other REAL psychologists. But then that would steal his thunder.
He has taken a lot from CBT, including the concept of "automatic thoughts", and of course gives no credit or footnotes about it.

But hey, the guy is raking in millions of dollars...

Coz

SarahL
http://www.bitchpanic.com/shack/archive/media/oprah.shtml

[b:05d3194094]Oprah Switches from Estrogen to est[/b:05d3194094]
September 10, 2001

Dr. Phil, Oprah, etc.
Posted by: Savernake ()
Date: September 21, 2004 04:20PM

SarahL
http://www.bitchpanic.com/shack/archive/media/oprah.shtml

[b:3cdb165363]Oprah Switches from Estrogen to est[/b:3cdb165363]
September 10, 2001

I thought this line was significant: "The intimidation and peer pressure is used to get you to reveal all your weaknesses to the group. Then, these weaknesses are used against you if you question what you are told. "

I am now convinced that I grew up in an SGAT (Small Group Awareness Training -- thanks for the acronym Sylvia :) ).

I wonder then if this isn't just a style that anyone can learn? ie, without any est or Landmark training -- some people may just learn that this style of intimidation can be a great tool for controlling people.

Dr. Phil, Oprah, etc.
Posted by: glam ()
Date: September 21, 2004 09:38PM

I have heard from people that Dr. Phil took Landmark (or est) training...in fact we discussed this briefly on another thread here. Here are quotes from his site (Dr. Phil's "Ten Life Laws"):

Life Law #1: You either get it or you don't.
Strategy: Become one of those who gets it.

Life Law #2: You create your own experience.
Strategy: Acknowledge and accept accountability for your life. Understand your role in creating results.

Life Law #3: People do what works.
Strategy: Identify the payoffs that drive your behavior and that of others.

Life Law #6: There is no reality, only perception.
Strategy: Identify the filters through which you view the world. Acknowledge your history without being controlled by it.

[www.drphil.com]
lifestrategies_lifelaws.xml&section=Life%20Strategies

It seems to me that he's acting as a Landmark "Leader." Doesn't the est/Landmark training give you a larger than life view of yourself? My friend seems pretty narcissitic after the training. And Oprah has been a walking, talking automaton for years now. Dr. Phil has started his own, pop culture, Landmark sect. IMO. Wonder what Erhard thinks.

Dr. Phil, Oprah, etc.
Posted by: Savernake ()
Date: September 21, 2004 11:41PM

Now I'm wondering -- part of the lure with my Landmark friend seems to be that he thinks their "technology" is revolutionary. Being a bluff, bull-by-the-horns, big-ego'd lad not given to introspection, I'm sure these thoughts [i:b3021af753]are[/i:b3021af753] new to him. He sounded skeptical and a bit disappointed when I said the ideas he was pushing at me have been part of American culture for years and years, at least since the 70s. He said, "Really? I always thought Americans were completely the opposite. I'll ask some of my American friends what they think" (completely forgetting that I am American).

Now I'm wondering, if I send him a link to Dr Phil's life laws ([www.drphil.com]) and point out that this guy is a regular feature on Oprah, if it would open his eyes to the fact that this stuff isn't as novel or revolutionary as he thinks.

Would it work, or would it just make him more defensive? Those of you who've dealt with Landmark people before, what do you think?

Dr. Phil, Oprah, etc.
Posted by: elena ()
Date: September 22, 2004 02:38AM

[Mary queries: "Wonder what Erhard thinks."]

He's probably mad that all these people are making big bucks off his ~creation.~ He's probably very, very angry that he is still seen as a sleazy "used-car salesman" while these other copy-cats have managed to cloak themselves with some kind of legitimacy he was never able to accomplish. Word has it there are some in the Landmark "community" who are praying for his return and imagining some sort of "prodigal son" or "second-coming" type nonsense. It must annoy the hell out of him that L. Ron Hubbard's fans still adore the old gas-bag and have his name and picture all over everything they do, while followers of Erhard have to distance themselves from him or pretend he is out of the picture.

Ellen

Dr. Phil, Oprah, etc.
Posted by: glam ()
Date: September 22, 2004 03:35AM

He's probably mad that all these people are making big bucks off his ~creation.~ He's probably very, very angry that he is still seen as a sleazy "used-car salesman" while these other copy-cats have managed to cloak themselves with some kind of legitimacy he was never able to accomplish.

Tee hee! You betcha. But then again, all Dr. Phil's done is repackage Rosenberg's stuff and made money for himself off of it, which is exactly what Rosenberg did with Scientology, which is exactly what Elron did with...

Word has it there are some in the Landmark "community" who are praying for his return and imagining some sort of "prodigal son" or "second-coming" type nonsense. It must annoy the hell out of him that L. Ron Hubbard's fans still adore the old gas-bag and have his name and picture all over everything they do, while followers of Erhard have to distance themselves from him or pretend he is out of the picture.

Hmmmm....you know, I'm not sure how much LEC is distancing themselves from Erhard. I think they do at the beginning if someone brings him up, but my friend, who's now been through months of training, seems to see Erhard as a good guy who's "off doing something else right now." And yes, I do think some people await the second coming, since God apparently has spoken directly to Werner and taken him under His wing. Or so the old-timers seem to believe. I think LEC becomes more of a religion the deeper you get.

Pages: 12345678Next
Current Page: 1 of 8

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.