Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
What have I done?!
Posted by: kickedinthehead ()
Date: August 20, 2005 07:29AM

I apologize if topics like this have already been created... I'm new here. I did do some browsing of the last few pages and found a topic called "Bold Move or Dangerous Curiosity" which is somewhat similar to what I'm about to ask. But I think my post will be a little different.

The thing is, this morning I actually MAILED OFF my tuition for the Landmark Forum. I finally registered after talking about it on-and-off for months with a friend of mine. This person and I host a radio show together, and he seems to feel that Landmark will help me overcome my fears and shyness. Normally I might have thought "yeah whatever" after being told that, but I've had some pretty intense feelings for this person and I would be lying if I said his opinion of me didn't matter.

So his recommendation played a big part in my considering Landmark. Also I did read about some of its controversies before registering and saw it being described by some as a "cult." I've always been curious about cults ..and some possibly very stupid and irrational part of me decided that it might be worth paying $410 just for the experience of being in a "cult" without having to committ to one (since the Forum is only three days). I would eventually love to rehone the writing skills I once had as a child, and I tend to think that I haven't experienced enough so the thought of Landmark appealed to that side of me, as well.

There are two other friends of mine who I don't feel so intensely about as the guy who introduced me, but both of them are involved in Landmark and described it with nothing but the highest praise. Two more reasons for me to register. Finally, I must admit that I DO get frustrated by my shyness and lack of social skills and part of me is hoping this thing will actually help me become more articulate and confident.

So I've registered and mailed my "tuition." But I've just found this place and now I'm scared to death of what I'm going to be in for. I'm still curious and even a little bit excited in a weird way, but something tells me I've made a major mistake.

I do feel like I'm stuck going through with it and I'm going to try very hard not to get sucked in but can someone who's been there tell me what exactly i am in for?? How often are these people going to harrass me, for one thing, when I've completed the Forum? I really really cannot see myself "recruiting" anyone...

Options: ReplyQuote
What have I done?!
Posted by: rrmoderator ()
Date: August 20, 2005 08:07AM

What have I done?!
Posted by: glam ()
Date: August 20, 2005 08:37AM

Don't base your self-worth on one person's opinion of you.

If this person cares for you, he should accept you as you are, not because you've been talked into experiencing what it's like to be in his cult.

Landmark is quite dangerous, and I highly recommend you stop payment on your check. You should get quite a taste of how much they (including your friend) will harrass you to attend. My friend had his life consumed by Landmark for a couple of years. You might not quit after just 3 1/2 days...read the links the moderator has provided to see what sort of severe psychological pressure they'll submit you to if you attend.

Many people in the entertainment biz are quite shy, like you. And yet you're co-hosting a radio show! If you feel it's holding you back, find a speech coach who can help you work on your shyness. If you want to hone your writing skills, take a course at a local college or perhaps even online. Or write to us here. That should give you some practice. :wink:

But please, whatever you do, don't sumbit yourself to the nasty abuse, confusion, hypnotism, peer pressure, psuedo-psychology, lack of sleep, lack of food, and lack of bathroom breaks you'll encounter at the Forum. And forget writing—they won't even let you take notes.

Glam

What have I done?!
Posted by: patrick-darcy ()
Date: August 20, 2005 09:40AM

what have u done ? at this point all u have done is give
landmark about four hundred dollars. is your mind worth more to
u than that ?

u can attempt to get your money back but if u dont u have
just lost some money. can u live with that ?

What have I done?!
Posted by: Toni ()
Date: August 20, 2005 09:45AM

KIH:

Check out this article from GQ in May 2005.

As my grown son said "This would be really funny, it didn't destroy some people's lives"

[www.culteducation.com]

What have I done?!
Posted by: midonov123 ()
Date: August 20, 2005 10:34AM

You are a curious person, but it is dangerous. It's all about manipulation and indoctrination. And those people are expert in it. You've probably been manipulated into registering because your friends know your weaknesses. And what you can expect is to learn how to manipulate others into registering into Landmark. They call it feeling "empowered", so you can overcome your shyness by becoming a Landmark selling agent. You could try selling calenders from door to door and you would probably overcome your shyness just as well, but without becoming part of a cult. A sound advice is "ask for a refund". You can argue that Landmark values goes against your religious beliefs (see my other posts), or that you don't believe being "authentic" means following a group ideology (actually, this is being non-authentic!).

Go for the refund and read as much as you can. This way you will "educate" yourself and avoid being "indoctrinated". Importantly, keep in mind that everything those people do and say is manipulative. Landmark has nothing to do with "education". It's all about manipulation and indoctrination.

MD

What have I done?!
Posted by: Excalibur ()
Date: August 20, 2005 11:43AM

I did read about some of its controversies before registering and saw it being described by some as a "cult." I've always been curious about cults ..and some possibly very stupid and irrational part of me decided that it might be worth paying $410 just for the experience of being in a "cult" without having to committ to one

Knowing what you know about heroin or cocaine, if you were curious about taking these drugs would you try them? How many people thought they'd try them "just for the experience" and ended up being drug addicts? Indeed, former Landmarkians have compared Landmark to an addictive drug. Here is a quote from a former participant that appeared in an excellent article entitled "Pay Money, Be Happy": "For six months, I was just hooked," says a recently counseled Landmark participant from Denver, Colorado. "My parents kept pushing me to do it, and I thought, 'My God! If everyone did this, there would be no need for drugs, 'cause the euphoria is just so . . . euphoric!'

And like being a drug addict, it's a very expensive habit. Check out the Landmark website for yourself, their fees are shown. If you take all their courses you'll end up spending thousands of dollars.

And don't think it will be so easy for you to walk away from Landmark once you're in. Just like the drug culture, you'll have Landmark "course pushers" putting extreme and constant pressure on you to take more and more courses - that's how they make their money. They'll be calling your home, your cell, your office and any other number you may have given them. Their tenacity is limitless when it comes to recruiting.

My advice: don't get involved with Landmark in the same way you wouldn't get involved with drugs. Even if you can't get your money back from Landmark, cut your losses. Landmark is bad news, from beginning to end. There's other safer ways to overcome shyness.

What have I done?!
Posted by: Dynamix ()
Date: August 20, 2005 02:22PM

I got very good at standing up and talking very confidently to a room full of about 200 people. I shared some deep and personal stuff and it was scary as hell! I grew from that experience and now I could stand up and give a speech to 200 people about almost anything. Before that I wouldn't have said "boo" to a goose. Was it the best way to learn? Maybe not. I think if you went, because you are aware of it , you'd probably overcome your shyness as well. Landmark does help you overcome a lot of personal hurdles like that. God forbid I should say anything GOOD about LE, but nothing is so black that it doesn't have its redeeming qualities.

But the bad far outweighs the good. I wouldn't say that these people are smart or clever for conning so many people. They're just following a script designed to strip you of your critical thinking. They won't take no for an answer, like water against a stone they will wear you down. They're missing that part of their brain that adheres to social and ethical boundaries. They talk about "being present to the impact of your actions" but I've never met a group so blind to their impact on people's well being. If you let them program you, and you even THINK anything negative them, your mind will be thrown into chaos. I speak from experience.

You'd be far better off going to a public speaking group or joining a debate team.

What have I done?!
Posted by: Concerned Oz ()
Date: August 20, 2005 04:16PM

Hi kickedinthehead,
With regards to some of the reasons you have suggested for continuing with your enrolment:

[b:686ad7e252]Payment is already made:[/b:686ad7e252] - Landmark have a full refund policy. You will get your money back and depending on your country of origin you may be protected by law.

[b:686ad7e252]Building your confidence[/b:686ad7e252] - Landmark people tend to have a confidence facade but the incongruences of their former belief systems with those imposed on them through hypnosis and unethically practiced psychotherpuetic techniques such as REBT, Transactional Analysis and Gestalt have known to create symptoms consistant of reactive bypolar disorder, (Manic Depression), with the participant rollercoastering between moments of delusional grandure and depression. People's lives tend to gradually fall apart, losing loved ones, moving from one relationship to another, losing their job and finally opting out or just doing more of the 60 LE courses on offer because landamarkians are the only people they can relate to. This has resulted in documented cases of suicide.

[b:686ad7e252]Rekindling your writing[/b:686ad7e252] - Landmark participants are indoctrinated with a vocabulary that has the affects of reducing critical thought. You may have noticed through your Landmark contacts how their vocabulary is reduced often repeating one liners and a few overly used adjectives. In effect, their language skills have been overridden by new terminology for common useage English words - "passionate", "community", "enrol", "fabulous", "options", "choice" etc. Check this board and study the language usage of the pro Landmark writers. You may notice that it appears it is the one person writing. You may also notice they use conflicting thoughts or concepts in the one sentence as their ability to critically rationalise opposing thoughts is greatly impeded. This phenomenon is referred to as "Double Bind Theory". Please read this thread in its entirety:
[b:686ad7e252]A dictionary of LEC jargon and thought-stopping cliches?[/b:686ad7e252]
[board.culteducation.com]

Finally, reflect on all the people and things you hold dear to yourself now. You may lose loved ones and if you do this course, you will adopt a new paradigm or construct based on flawed and exaggerated existential philosophy which bases the self at the centre of the universe with no regard or compassion for others for "we are all machines creating our own possibilities".

Oz

What have I done?!
Date: August 21, 2005 12:05AM

[quote="Finally, I must admit that I DO get frustrated by my shyness and lack of social skills and part of me is hoping this thing will actually help me become more articulate and confident.
...[/quote]

Get the book "Feeling Good" and "Intimate Connections" by Dr. David Burns. If you're a guy also get the book "Nice Guys and Players" if dating is an issue.

Well, hell, at least I got to use my psych. degree today.

CNFT

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.