QUestion about Landmark Lingo
Posted by: babsbibb ()
Date: October 30, 2006 11:14PM

I was wondering if anyone who was a former Landmark participant could tell me what the phrase "In the sewage" means, my friend who has just gotten involved with landmark has used this phrase and I have no clue as to what it means.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ajinajan ()
Date: October 31, 2006 03:26AM

I was wondering if anyone who was a former Landmark participant could tell me what the phrase "In the sewage" means, my friend who has just gotten involved with landmark has used this phrase and I have no clue as to what it means.
Did The Forum and never heard that one before. Might be similar to [b:f3f339fe43]"breakdown"[/b:f3f339fe43] and [b:f3f339fe43]"upset"[/b:f3f339fe43] all ways of saying, [i:f3f339fe43]something bad happened in your life, and more expensive Landmark courses can help fix it[/i:f3f339fe43]. Or better yet, get in contact with the other person you are upset with, and get [i:f3f339fe43]them[/i:f3f339fe43] to do The Forum, then everything will be happy and utopia! Yay!

If I were you, I would just ask for a better definition from your friend when they start spouting gobbledygook. Interrupt their conversation and say [i:f3f339fe43]I'm sorry, what was that last word? I can't understand you when you speak like that, please explain? It sounds like gibberish to me![/i:f3f339fe43] Perhaps at this point your friend will realize that their new [b:f3f339fe43]jargon[/b:f3f339fe43] (which some others have often referred to as [b:f3f339fe43]"cult-like"[/b:f3f339fe43]) is yet another tool separating this person from their friends/family, (that is of course unless all their friends/family do The Forum, at which point they'll all be happy and understand each others' [b:f3f339fe43]jargon[/b:f3f339fe43], right?) Or, maybe not...

Posted by: critical_thinker ()
Date: October 31, 2006 10:06AM

babsbibb

I think that came from an event called "Causing the Miraculous" one or two years ago and, if my memory is correct, it simply means tolerating the status quo, even though the status quo could be quite aweful. Sanitation workers who work in sewage their whole lives no longer think it stinks. In fact, in just a few weeks, they get accustomed to it. Your friend was probably referring to a tolerance for something aweful or absurd that just came into being over time and was unconscious.

Similarly, it is like living in northern New Jersey with all the oil refineries (Carteret, Rahway) where their sense of smell is dead or a real dirt hole like Jersey City. Pretty soon, you just have no standards and can literally live in sewage.

Posted by: rrmoderator ()
Date: October 31, 2006 10:36PM

"Critical thinker" is a Landmark supporter and here as an apologist for that group.

His purpose is to spin Landmark as positively as possible, such as he has done above.

See [www.culteducation.com]

Landmark has a history of bad press, complaints and personal injuries.

Also see [www.culteducation.com]

This French docmentary about Landmark is quite telling and features footage taken with hidden cameras inside a Forum in Paris.

The phrase "in the sewage" can be seen as what psychiatrist Robert Jay Lifton called "loaded language" or a "thought terminating cliche."

Groups like Landmark may use such verbiage to label and dismiss whatever they don't like and feel should also be dismissed by others.

Landmark Education, EST and the Forum have all been repeatedly accused of running thought reform programs.

This is an examination by a clinical psychologist of "mass marathon training" like Landmark. Note its liabilities and the four danger signs near the end.

I receive constant complaints about Landmark Education and would not recommend its programs to anyone under any circumstances.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.