Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Is NLP dangerous?
Posted by: jkms89 ()
Date: June 04, 2006 09:37AM

I've been reading things here and there about Neuro Linguistic Programming and how different therapists and human potential
people use it. To me, it seems manipulative to use "anchoring"
and "Mirroring" techniques to alter peoples' states, but maybe
I'm being a bit paranoid. Can anyone shed more light on this?

Options: ReplyQuote
Is NLP dangerous?
Posted by: nutrino ()
Date: June 04, 2006 01:52PM

It isn't inherently dangerous. It can be, has been, and is being used [i:d3bb65ebbc] dangerously [/i:d3bb65ebbc] by some.

The greater problem with NLP is quality control, rather than actual malice. A bunch of second rate trainers have found a means of generating some steady income by promoting themselves as NLP experts, when in fact they are embarrasing amateurs...

There are also highly ethical NLP trainers who offer real quality and value. On the other hand, I know of (and went to take a seminar from) one guy who comes close to being a cult leader... the vibes from this guy are not healthy, he obviously has deep seated issues that are visible to everyone but his loyal followers who think he is "so great"..

There are also a number of "persuasion masters" who have perfected a number of hustles based on NLP techniques and teach these to aspiring sales forces or pick up artists who frequent clubs and bars... some is laughable, some is a little twisted...

The problem comes in when a sociopathic personality goes forth and studies a load of NLP technique and other persuasion tools so he can be a better sociopath, or maybe just a manipulative prick. One way or the other, we suffer no shortage of manipulative pricks in this world..

I have noticed that a thorough study of NLP over a couple of years with a range of good teachers will powerfully immunize you against persuasion gambits, covert or otherwise... it will blow the cover off every LGAT and change game in town because you'll know exactly what they are doing in real time

Keep in mind that modern television and radio advertising has taken many of the techniques from NLP and Eriksonian hypnosis and incorporated them into their formulae, so you are surrounded by this stuff 24/7 in specialized forms...

LGATs will generally take NLP/Eriksonian methods and combine them with a lot of higher purpose mumbo jumbo, speaking of their super-special patented and trademarked "distinctions" , or methods of "clearing", or "angel energies" and other forms of bottled hogwash....

Is NLP dangerous?
Date: June 05, 2006 05:54AM

nutrino

There are also a number of "persuasion masters" who have perfected a number of hustles based on NLP techniques and teach these to aspiring sales forces or pick up artists who frequent clubs and bars... some is laughable, some is a little twisted...

Thanks for the info. I'm trying to find out if a guy
named David DeAngelo is legit or if he is using
NLP as a persuasion method to sell his "Double
your Dating" product. While he frowns at using
"tricks" or "Techniques" to pick up women, he
seems to use words like "Inside" and "Deeper" alot
when he talks to guys about boosting our self confidence.
It seems just a little suspicious, but then again, I
am a trauma survivor and tend to be a little paranoid.
Anyway, thanks for your info! :)

Is NLP dangerous?
Posted by: Hope ()
Date: June 05, 2006 07:32PM

jkms98,

Don't look at yourself as being paranoid. You are thinking critically and being smart.

Hope

Is NLP dangerous?
Posted by: nutrino ()
Date: June 05, 2006 09:21PM

There is a new industry in business: the how to get girls seminar or book or DVD or .... personal coaching.... they have borrowed a few ideas from NLP as a sales hook.... it's their way of adding a selling point to the package... when you meet these gentlemen in person you'll find that they're emotionally at the level of teenage boys who have found a neato way to make a little extra spending money.

Is NLP dangerous?
Posted by: Hope ()
Date: June 06, 2006 03:46AM

This David DeAngelo??? Ew!
[www.fastseduction.com]

Is NLP dangerous?
Posted by: lightwolf ()
Date: June 06, 2006 05:11AM

He's got some articles on askmen.com as well. It comes across to me as essentially sales material: how to sell yourself and persuade the girls to fall all over you. In reading his stuff, it seems to me like so much of the stuff that gets written about here: small nuggets of truth get wrapped with sugary manipulative material, and voila, a new guru is born.

The nuggets are just motherhoods: have goals, have a plan for your life, have varied interests and pursue them, pay attention to your date, be safe, etc.

I second Hope's comments -- you are thinking well. Keep it up -- I bet you don't need his book.

-lightwolf

Is NLP dangerous?
Date: June 06, 2006 06:10AM

Thanks again guys. The more I read some of the advertising,
the more I'm seeing the subliminal and NLP material he
is using to exploit the fact that many of us guys feel
inadequate around women. And hence to sell the product.
I don't know why I read any of his material in the first place.
I guess I felt if I could find a way to be more self confident,
I would be more attractive to women and eventually find
the right relationship. Well, David D never even mentions
realtionships, only how to create the initial attraction...but
I'm pretty sure that a long term relationship needs
much more than attraction to make it work!

Is NLP dangerous?
Posted by: lightwolf ()
Date: June 06, 2006 11:20PM

jkms89
Thanks again guys. The more I read some of the advertising,
the more I'm seeing the subliminal and NLP material he
is using to exploit the fact that many of us guys feel
inadequate around women. And hence to sell the product.
I don't know why I read any of his material in the first place.
I guess I felt if I could find a way to be more self confident,
I would be more attractive to women and eventually find
the right relationship. Well, David D never even mentions
realtionships, only how to create the initial attraction...but
I'm pretty sure that a long term relationship needs
much more than attraction to make it work!
You're right on jkms -- it's about selling the product. Notice too, that the product is really about selfishness. In the link Hope provided, David D doesn't correct the selfish objective -- sack the girl (treating her like a sex object), but only offers a better, manipulative way to sack the girl. How about treating her with some respect? How about learning how to [b:385a8080ef]give [/b:385a8080ef]rather than take? Again, this general theme seems to be typical of the New Guru crowd. It's all about me, me, me, me, [b:385a8080ef]ME[/b:385a8080ef].

Once you have their attention by attraction, then what do you do? You have to keep selling of course -- now it becomes how to keep them. More and more work. Start this and the selling can never stop.

There are ways to become more confident without stooping to this. And you are right, then you would be more attractive -- to everyone.

Your good mind will get you off to a good start.

-lightwolf

Is NLP dangerous?
Date: June 11, 2006 06:58AM

Once you have their attention by attraction, then what do you do? You have to keep selling of course -- now it becomes how to keep them. More and more work. Start this and the selling can never stop.

There are ways to become more confident without stooping to this. And you are right, then you would be more attractive -- to everyone.

Your good mind will get you off to a good start.

lightwolf - I got your PM but it wouldn't let
me respond because I do not have 10
posts yet. But thanks for the additional info.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.