Mankind Project NWTA info
Posted by: concerned dad ()
Date: July 22, 2006 10:45PM

The Mankind Project (MKP) is derived from EST. The founders of MKP trained with Justin Sterling, the founder of another LGAT The Sterling Institute, before going off to start the Mankind Project.

The Mankind Project recruits men to go to the New Warrior Adventure Training weekend (NWTA). At this weekend men will be fed only granola and fruit until Sunday morning. Men will get very little sleep. Upon arrival at the NWTA all cell phones, car keys, wallets, and watches will be taken away from men. Usually men must ride with members up to the NWTA site so they do not have their own transportation. Basically, men are stuck at the NWTA site with no communication to the outside world and no way to leave if they should choose to do so.

Men at the NWTA will go through processes, known as GUTs and Carpet Work in which they will be yelled at, insulted, and basically torn down to nothing so that MKP can rebuild them to their liking. On the contract that men have to sign before attending the NWTA men must list their five greatest fears. These fears will be used on the NWTA to manipulate and control these men. The processes also include guided imagery and going back into your childhood and dealing with issues that should only be dealt with in the office of a licensed professional. The men leading these processes are NOT licensed professionals. I am sure you can imagine the harmful effects of therapy by unlicensed professionals. Unfortunately, some men who have gone to the NWTA have come home very damaged and must seek the help of licensed professionals to heal from the weekend.

Men at the NWTA will also be told to strip of all their clothing and to sit in a circle with the other men. A dildo will then be passed around and when it is the man's turn with the dildo, he must tell the group about a sexual experience he has had in the past. This is called "Cock Talk."

Men at the NWTA will be blindfolded while they are naked and told to hold the man's hand next to them and that if they let go of that man's hand, they will die. When the blindfolds are taken off the men find themselves standing naked around a fire. This is the "Brother Dance."

Men at the NWTA are told to never tell any outsiders, including their wives, what happened that weekend. MKP claims to build integrity and accountability in men. I do not see the integrity in lying to my spouse.

There is a yahoo group that has been set up to help men hurt by MKP. Apparently MKP has set up their own yahoo group that claims to allow unmoderated posts that will allow men to share both the good and bad experiences of the NWTA. I know enough about MKP to know that they will moderate postings that tell their secrets. They will moderate postings that men have been psychologically and emotional damaged by MKP.
If you would like to know the truth about the NWTA or if you have been hurt by MKP and would like to share your experiences, please check out the ex_mkp yahoo group at this link:

[groups.yahoo.com]

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Firethorne ()
Date: July 24, 2006 10:54PM

concerned dad
There is a yahoo group that has been set up to help men hurt by MKP. Apparently MKP has set up their own yahoo group that claims to allow unmoderated posts that will allow men to share both the good and bad experiences of the NWTA. I know enough about MKP to know that they will moderate postings that tell their secrets. They will moderate postings that men have been psychologically and emotional damaged by MKP.
If you would like to know the truth about the NWTA or if you have been hurt by MKP and would like to share your experiences, please check out the ex_mkp yahoo group at this link:

[groups.yahoo.com]

Concerned dad - before you recommend this yahoo group, it should be noted that it is no more fair or unbaised than the one allegedly set up by MKP. It is heavily moderated and the "truth" that comes out in the postings (and the responses thereto) seems incapable of making any room for the possibility that one might have an experience with MKP that is not as negatively identical as that of the moderator. The persons who argue that alternate point of view generally finds themselves under attack in fairly short order from the group's regulars, some of whom I think would admit that they see no possibility that MKP might have [i:83e8a6362c][b:83e8a6362c]some[/b:83e8a6362c][/i:83e8a6362c] value to [i:83e8a6362c][b:83e8a6362c]some[/b:83e8a6362c][/i:83e8a6362c] body. Instead, it appears in all absolutes: MKP [b:83e8a6362c]is [/b:83e8a6362c] the Great Satan and if you disagree, than so are you. End. of. discussion. (Which also includes unsubscription by the moderator for the unbeliever.)

My own opinion is that these RR forums offer far more information to someone seeking the truth about MKP, information that would help make an [i:83e8a6362c]informed[/i:83e8a6362c] decision as to whether or not MKP is "Satan." Likewise, those who are seeking healing might also find more solid information here rather than the strident "me too-ism" of the other group.

I would not deny anyone, either here or at Ex-MKP, their pain and the reality of their experience. It is unfortunate that it often appears that those same people don't feel the same way.

[b:83e8a6362c]Firethorne[/b:83e8a6362c]

Posted by: cb1000rider ()
Date: July 24, 2006 11:33PM

I have to back Firethorne's post. The forum mentioned above does not allow discussion of the issues. You will find disclosure of the entire NWTA process, sometimes in great detail. You'll also find it hosted by folks that are decidely anti-MKP. Pro-mkp discussion and debate is not tolerated.
I make no statement that says "truth" is or is not provided by the "ex_mkp" forum. My factual statements are:
1) The forum is moderated.
2) Pro-mkp discussion is not tolerated.
3) Many, many, members that have gone through MKP (including myself) have been removed.

It seems to be a recovery group for those that were harmed by MKP.

Full disclosure: At one time I went through NWTA weekend. (This does not mean I continue to support or be involve with MKP)

For me, I find the best "truth" by exploring both sides of an issue. Another yahoo form is being advertised as allowing open debate, but I haven't seen much traffic on it yet: [groups.yahoo.com]
I simply can say that it is publically viewable.. I don't know what the true agenda of this forum is - or if there is one. I'd simply recommend that anyone considering the NWTA consider both sides of the coin and make up their own mind. This forum may be worse than the ex_mkp forum for all I know, but at least it's being provided as an option.

Addionally, for a site that has it's roots in anti cult and anti-LGAT, this site seems to be a reasonably well balanced resource...

Posted by: concerned dad ()
Date: July 25, 2006 11:34PM

Thank you MKP men for you responses. Ex mkp yahoo group is clearly not the one for you. It is for those wanting to be informed of the negative effects of MKP and not just the "positive" effects that MKP will tell the public. It is for those who have been hurt by MKP and want to share their experiences and get support. It for telling the "secrets" of the NWTA that MKP will not tell you before. It is for telling the "secrets" of the NWTA that men are not allowed to tell their wives. It is not a group in which MKP is "sold" to the public but is a group in which people will tell you the truth about what goes on at the weekend.

Anyone wanting to be informed before going on the NWTA should visit this group. Anyone hurt by their experience with MKP should visit this group because you are not alone. There are many who have been hurt.

Posted by: rrmoderator ()
Date: July 26, 2006 12:28AM

OK.

I have warned once about a flame war here.

Flames are against the rules and if you flame you will be banned.

Note: There have been both pro and con statements made about the Yahoo group.

There is no need to go and on about the other discussion group.

What is important to note is that the instructions regarding how leaders are to run MKP retreats has been excerpted and reviewed here on this thread.

These instructions reflect a very manipulative process managed from above to control people and get the desired "experience."

If what "concerned dad" says is true about the historical roots of MKP, that its founder once was in EST and Sterling, this is indeed noteworthy.

Both EST and Sterling have had very serious problems.

See the following archives:

[www.culteducation.com]

[www.culteducation.com]

Both groups have generated a flow of complaints and Landmark Education, the current incarnation of EST is the one group with the most complaints of any single group mentioned at the Ross Institute database.

See [www.culteducation.com]

Interestingly, Justin Sterling the creator of Sterling was once reportedly involved in EST. His weekend seems to be derived from EST and Sterling even changed his name just like the founder of EST "Werner Erhard," who was once known as Jack Rosenberg. Sterling's given name was Arthur "Artie" Kasarjian.

All these groups are LGATs (large group awareness training) and are essentially group therapy without a license.

Each group attempts to download its founder's philosophy within a controlled environment and they use what can be seen as coercive persuasion methods to manipulate participants to "experience" or become aware of what they want.

People have had nervious breakdowns and even psychotic breaks at such LGAT retreats and seminars, some have even required care at hospitals.

One LGAT NXIVM, probably based upon EST/Landmark, reportedly pushed a woman to suicide.

Landmark Education has been linked to three murders committed by participants that apparently went on a rampage.

See [www.cultnews.com]

Note that within the above report psychiatrists cited that there had been psychiatric disturbances linked to EST historically.

The inherent problem with LGATs like MKP is that they are run by people that are not properly trained as mental health professionals and therefore are not qualified to work with people in a group therapy setting.

Plainly put, they don't know how to measure or understand what is going on from a psychiatric/psychological perspective and they subsequently don't know how to deal with people unraveling due to their programs.

Most LGATs will typically blame the victim rather than look at the structure and dynamics of their programs and why they cause casualties.

Many LGATs prefer and expect participants to sign waivers so they have limited liability and they also keep what goes on within their programs secret by not detailing them in advance to potential participants. This essentially means they don't really allow people to make fully informed decisions about what they are being asked to attend.

My advice is to stay away from LGATs due to their troubled history and potential risk. This is based upon my almost 25 years of direct experience dealing with the problems they pose. My work began in 1982 and almost immediately during the early 1980s I became aware of they damage done by LGATs.

There are many much safer options for self-improvement through accredited colleges and learning insitutions, professionally led group therapy through hospitals and counseling centers, and therapy with a qualified mental health professional.

There are also marriage and family seminars and workshops run by licensed marriage and family therapists as well as one-on-one counseling offered in virtually every community with licensed counselors.

Why bother with something potentially unsafe when there are so many viable alternatives?

Moreover, when you instead attend counseling or programs run by credible, trained and licensed professionals they are accountable and you will have recourse, rather than be expected to sign some waiver regarding any future claim concerning an injury.

LGATs often seem to promise something like instant success through some sort of epiphany they supposedly download/produce in one weekend or retreat.

But real growth and change make take time and can mean hard work through therapy and counseling.

LGATs also seems to be saying "one size fits all" through their seminar or programs. However, each person has their own unique personality and set of circumstances that is better addressed by more personalized and focused therapy, counseling and/or education.

As previously detailed on this thread LGATs or "mass marathon training" have had serious problems seemingly inherent in many such programs.

This research paper was written by a clinical psychologist that reportedly attended and studied Lifespring, another popular LGAT.

Lifespring like Landmark Education and its forerunner EST was repeatedly sued for personal injuries linked to its programs.

The psychologist who wrote the paper about "mass marathon training" makes offers the following warnings:

They lack adequate participant-selection criteria.

They lack reliable norms, supervision, and adequate training for leaders.

They lack clearly defined responsibility.

They sometimes foster pseudoauthenticity and pseudoreality.

They sometimes foster inappropriate patterns of relationships.

They sometimes ignore the necessity and utility of ego defenses.

They sometimes teach the covert value of total exposure instead of valuing personal differences.

They sometimes foster impulsive personality styles and behavioral strategies.

They sometimes devalue critical thinking in favor of "experiencing" without self-analysis or reflection.

They sometimes ignore stated goals, misrepresent their actual techniques, and obfuscate their real agenda.

They sometimes focus too much on structural self-awareness techniques and misplace the goal of democratic education; as a result participants may learn more about themselves and less about group process.

They pay inadequate attention to decisions regarding time limitations. This may lead to increased pressure on some participants to unconsciously "fabricate" a cure.

They fail to adequately consider the "psychonoxious" or deleterious effects of group participation (or] adverse countertransference reactions.

Likewise he points out these telling symptons that an LGAT may be potentially dangerous if...

Leaders had rigid, unbending beliefs about what participants should experience and believe, how they should behave in the group. and when they should change.

Leaders had no sense of differential diagnosis and assessment skills, valued cathartic emotional breakthroughs as the ultimate therapeutic experience, and sadistically pressed to create or force a breakthrough in every participant.

Leaders had an evangelical system of belief that was the one single pathway to salvation.

Leaders were true believers and sealed their doctrine off from discomforting data or disquieting results and tended to discount a poor result by, "blaming the victim."

Also see [www.culteducation.com]

This paper written by a Stanford University professor reviews coercive persuasion techniques.

He states the following characterisitics.

The reliance on intense interpersonal and psychological attack to destabilize an individual's sense of self to promote compliance

The use of an organized peer group

Applying interpersonal pressure to promote conformity

The manipulation of the totality of the person's social environment to stabilize behavior once modified

Sounds like almost any LGAT doesn't it?

Here are eight more critieria to recognize coercive persuasion or "thought reform" within any environment or program.

Control of communication

Emotional and behavioral manipulation

Demands for absolute conformity to behavior prescriptions derived from the ideology

Obsessive demands for confession

Agreement that the ideology is faultless

Manipulation of language in which cliches substitute for analytic thought

Reinterpretation of human experience and emotion in terms of doctrine

Classification of those not sharing the ideology as inferior and not worthy of respect

Again, doesn't this sound like most LGAT environments?

LGAT apologists often attempt to explain this away with a remark like "doesn't everyone uses those techniques" such as the Marines, your neighborhood church or school?

Not true.

Here are some distinctions made by eminent psychologist Margaret Singer a former professor of psychology at UC Berkely that studied thought reform for decades.

She makes distinctions between education, adverstising, propaganda, indoctrination and thought reform.

LGATs often use what can be seen as thought reform.

Many LGATs will say they are somehow "different" than the ones that have historically caused so many problems and injuries.

But are they?

Anyone approached by a friend, family member, business associate etc. about attending an LGAT like MKP should use the above criteria and information to measure what they are being asked to attend.

Is the group secretive or seemingly evangelical in its approach?

Is its weekend experience something that supposely will make you "aware" of some truth through emotional "breakthroughs" culminating in life changing realizations? Can you only really understand it by "experiencing it"?

This is typical LGAT talk.

"If it quacks like a duck and walks like a duck it just might be a duck."

Think about it.

Posted by: truthsearch ()
Date: September 10, 2006 01:18AM

Everyone being recruited to the NWTA should do their research. This group is an LGAT and is also considered a white collar cult.

The NWTA consists of psychological processes and spiritual elements. The psychological processes cause great harm to some people. The spiritual elements will damage the soul. If you are a christian, you should not attend the NWTA.

If you are looking for a way to better yourself, the NWTA is not it. You would be better off going to therapy. If you are a christian, you'd be better off participating in your church. You do not need to hang around naked with a bunch of men in the woods passing around a dildo. If you want to feel you are part of an organization of men, join a men's group in your church. Christ should be the center of your life, not dead ancestors or pagan gods - yes, the NWTA also consists of calling upon dead ancestors and pagan gods.

Posted by: cb1000rider ()
Date: September 13, 2006 06:10AM

What is a white collar cult and where can I find the classification of MKP into it?

Posted by: truthsearch ()
Date: September 14, 2006 10:43AM

cb1000rider:

[www.culteducation.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.