How to reply to a bulk "I'm Saving the World" emai
Posted by: grub ()
Date: August 09, 2005 10:13PM

Hi all,

Someone near and dear to me has been caught up in Landmark for a few years now, he's involved enough that he flies around spewing their mind-rotting shit. (those that follow alt.fan.landmark will know me, it's no secret) Anyhow, for some time now some family and friends have been receiving the occasional "I want to share what happened at the Forum..." emails containing the usual LandieSpeak(tm) and how people have been tran$formed, blah blah blah.

Would a well written group reply to everyone be wise in this situation? Not a ranting "Landmark is a disgusting, money-grubbing cult" diatribe but a well thought out few paragraphs of why Landmark is an addictive organization.

It'd probably drive in a bit of a wedge between us but we get along just fine so long as Landmark isn't brough into the conversation. slight aside: the very last time I was asked "why don't you like Landmark?" I replied (ala ice cream scenario) "I don't like Landmark because I choose to not like Landmark." "Why?" "I don't need a why, that's my choice." It was a long fairly quiet car ride while that retarded logic was used against Landmark rather than for it.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: midonov123 ()
Date: August 10, 2005 06:26PM

grub
Hi all,

Someone near and dear to me has been caught up in Landmark for a few years now, he's involved enough that he flies around spewing their mind-rotting shit. (those that follow alt.fan.landmark will know me, it's no secret) Anyhow, for some time now some family and friends have been receiving the occasional "I want to share what happened at the Forum..." emails containing the usual LandieSpeak(tm) and how people have been tran$formed, blah blah blah.

Would a well written group reply to everyone be wise in this situation? Not a ranting "Landmark is a disgusting, money-grubbing cult" diatribe but a well thought out few paragraphs of why Landmark is an addictive organization.

It'd probably drive in a bit of a wedge between us but we get along just fine so long as Landmark isn't brough into the conversation. slight aside: the very last time I was asked "why don't you like Landmark?" I replied (ala ice cream scenario) "I don't like Landmark because I choose to not like Landmark." "Why?" "I don't need a why, that's my choice." It was a long fairly quiet car ride while that retarded logic was used against Landmark rather than for it.

In the same vein, you could say "I want to be authentic, and authenticity means not to conform to any group ideology. That includes Landmark".

Then you can ask, "How can you be authentic by conforming to Landmark ideology?"

I haven't heard any satisfying reply to that one yet. Because there aren't any. This is one of the biggest flaw in Landmark.

Date: August 10, 2005 08:12PM

midonov123
Then you can ask, "How can you be authentic by conforming to Landmark ideology?"

I haven't heard any satisfying reply to that one yet. Because there aren't any. This is one of the biggest flaw in Landmark.

I've had similar arguments but never as succinct. Thanks!
Of course when I disagree with said person I tend to get the Empty Landmark Stare as he tries shutting me out. It may be harder via email. Heh

Posted by: glam ()
Date: August 10, 2005 08:37PM

grub

It'd probably drive in a bit of a wedge between us .

Hmmm...tough one. A group response to everyone might not only drive a wedge between you and your friend, but might get some folks on the list angry with you—kill the messenger, you know.

Maybe you could send out a group reply that's neutral? "What do you think of Landmark?" Sort of thing. If anyone replies to you that they're suspicious of it or that they're concerned about your friend, you could then try to start an email conversation. But sending out a mass email discussing Landmark in detail might have the opposite effect of what you intend—people might think you're just being mean to a friend who's found something that "works for him."

Date: August 10, 2005 09:12PM

glam
Maybe you could send out a group reply that's neutral? "What do you think of Landmark?" Sort of thing. If anyone replies to you that they're suspicious of it or that they're concerned

I've had email and a few calls over the years already from people. My usual reply if by email are links to various sites (including this one) with the disclaimer "but form your own opinion... " In person or phone I tell people to google for "landmark ross" which brings them here as a start.

I was wondering, hence my original question, about a non-private reply to people. I know the Landies have read my stuff online (a.f.l.) way back as the person in question, who is not net savvy at all, phoned me up saying he heard about what I wrote. So in that regard there's already been some friction. Now that he's a involved enough that he has the cheap suit it could be interesting :)

Excrement Occurs.

Posted by: Acid Reindeer ()
Date: August 10, 2005 09:47PM

I would not know what to say. I would save the e-mail and send it back to the sender later so that they get to read how crazy they sounded back at that time. unless they have gotten further into LEC, reading what they wrote while on the high as a kite phase could serve as a wakeup call.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.