Landmark Forum Survivor
Posted by: Jeannie ()
Date: December 13, 2005 04:14AM

I just wanted to share that I wasted 2 days of my life – I am so embarrassed to admit to going to this thing. The forum was Friday, Saturday, Sunday and tomorrow in my community (Minneapolis, Minnesota) and I am so glad that I stepped out late Saturday afternoon – well – I wish that I would have left sooner or, of course, not gone at all.

I am 33, a college grad – a reasonably intelligent adult. Lately in my life I have tried to be open to new things so when a lady where I work out suggested this – I thought I’d give it a try. I see her tonight and boy – I want to yell – but – would that even help?

As the leader kept on trying to make all of the participants feel worse and worse about their lives using bits and pieces from philosophy 101 – I thought – hey – my life isn’t so bad! And, I am happy with my relationships. I am grateful that thought stayed in my head. I mean – a depressed or mildly depressed person could really be in trouble with this thing.

At the break – I went up to the leader and told her that I was leaving because I really couldn’t think of anything in my life that needed fixing and she started naming possible weak areas that I may have not considered – good fu*king grief. Entirely stupid.

I have cult handout citing the work of Margaret Thaler Singer, Ph.D. and Robert Jay Lifton, M.D. that I want to give to the lady that wanted me to go tonight, again – even worth it?

And, how do I get these stupid “terms” out of my head? Do the people who are actually employed by this company have souls? Seriously.

Jeannie

Options: ReplyQuote
Landmark Forum Survivor
Posted by: Ether Dragon ()
Date: December 13, 2005 05:58AM

Thanks Jeannie, I love to hear that. My wife was just like you, skeptical for the first two days, but she decided to ride it out and go the third day. Its obvious from the huge turn-around she had that the third day is when they really hit you. The first two days are just spent worming their way into your head.

I'm glad that you had the sense to get out while you were ahead, and best of luck in getting those terms out of your head.

Landmark Forum Survivor
Date: December 13, 2005 06:39AM

I still feel stupid for getting taken in the first place. But thanks Ether Dragon. I feel for your wife. I am so sorry. Hope things clear up for her.

Jeannie

Landmark Forum Survivor
Posted by: sonnie_dee ()
Date: December 13, 2005 02:25PM

Hi Jeannie,

Well done on leaving, Usually people stay simply because the pressure put on them is enough to keep them in the course even if they don't want to.

The words and language will go if you avoid conversations with people who are using it, and if you are talking to a grad, don't let them manipulate you with the language. just talk like you normally would and when they try and pressure you to go back just say no and dont give a reason why other then you dont want too.

By the way i can assure you that some of the staff there have 'souls' they are just hidden under the layers of brainwashing. (speaking as an ex staff member)

Sonnie

Landmark Forum Survivor
Date: December 14, 2005 01:26AM

I had to tell the two grads (who are in adv course now) at my workout spot last night that I checked out Saturday. They didn't say much and neither did I. I mainly said that I thought the whole thing was "creepy" and reminded me of a sociology paper that I once did on mind-control groups. There were other non-grads in the room and hopefully my comments will keep them from approaching these people.

There is also a really sweet lady at my yoga class tonight who was also at the forum over the weekend - I am sure that she noticed I left - I hope she did too - guess I'll find out. Ugh. If she hits me with the language I am going to be hard-pressed to not roll my eyes.

Thanks again all.
Jeannie

Landmark Forum Survivor
Posted by: ezdoesit ()
Date: December 14, 2005 01:57AM

sonnie_dee
Hi Jeannie,

Well done on leaving, Usually people stay simply because the pressure put on them is enough to keep them in the course even if they don't want to.

The words and language will go if you avoid conversations with people who are using it, and if you are talking to a grad, don't let them manipulate you with the language. just talk like you normally would and when they try and pressure you to go back just say no and dont give a reason why other then you dont want too.

By the way i can assure you that some of the staff there have 'souls' they are just hidden under the layers of brainwashing. (speaking as an ex staff member)

Sonnie

It has been referred to as "soul-rape" and "mind-rape' by more than a few.

One of the definitive books on mind control is titled just that.

EZ

(The Rape of the Mind; the Psychology of Thought Control, Menticide, and Brainwashing, 1956, Joost Meerloo

Landmark Forum Survivor
Posted by: nettie ()
Date: January 17, 2006 02:45AM

Jeannie
I just wanted to share that I wasted 2 days of my life – I am so embarrassed to admit to going to this thing.

Feeling embarrassed is why some people don't speak up about their experience with Landmark and other LGAT's. It's a way for cults to avoid people talking negatively about them. I know that there are circular thinking patterns implanted that handles this. I'm not sure how it is done though. Maybe I will remember soon... :)

I was silent for a few years after exiting - I felt ashamed about having so easily succumbed to their teachings.

Evidently it doesn't really work - people are speaking up.

Don't feel embarrassed - many very intelligent people get sucked in...
Good that you got out so early.

nettie (former introduction leader)

Landmark Forum Survivor
Posted by: Acid Reindeer ()
Date: January 17, 2006 07:19AM

Ether Dragon
Thanks Jeannie, I love to hear that. My wife was just like you, skeptical for the first two days, but she decided to ride it out and go the third day. Its obvious from the huge turn-around she had that the third day is when they really hit you. The first two days are just spent worming their way into your head.

I wouldn't underestimate the effect of just the two days either, though. when my sister called me as part of her homework she sounded at least 50% already converted. her boyfriend, though, would have had time to have worked on her and made her an easier mark.

Landmark Forum Survivor
Posted by: oncewaslost ()
Date: January 20, 2006 09:25AM

Kudos on leaving.

I only wished I really had a choice when I took it.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.