Psychotherapeutic Arts Institute - Orlando FL
Posted by: Realist ()
Date: November 30, 2005 08:42AM

This message is for information and reference. I found no other information from other users and want to have mine catalogued for future reference by others who search the forum.

I find it necessary to write because of the number of people who "stumble" into this group with no idea of what is going on, only to either leave thinking there is something wrong with them, or remain and be required to pay substantial fees and experience emotional turmoil, as well as have to pay homage to the instructor. I will give a brief synopsis.

I am a licensed psychotherapist in the state of FL. A few years ago a colleague and I were working on our certification in play and art therapy. We found one of the quickest ways to finish our required education and supervisory hours was through the Psychotherapeutic Arts Institute in Orlando. The brochures appeared much as any other, offering certified credits towards certification for our field, approved by the State. One had only to sign up and pay for 1 weekend at a time, at a cost of a few hundred dollars, to receive several hours towards certification. The first weekend we were in awe of our instructor for numerous reasons I won't elaborate on, since I promised a synopsis. At the end of the weekend, we had the choice to sign up for another weekend, but we had to decide right that moment, could not attend any others without doing so in sequence, and that 2 more weekends were required (paid up front) to complete "a sequence." Feeling both pressured and worried we would "miss out" on learning from "one of the greats," we did so. This turned into 3 years of monthly weekends, with a short break at one point because my colleague was "scapegoated" in the group and I felt the need to leave with her. What really happened was she was attune to the cult dynamics and unwilling to back down. Thus, she needed to be outed by the group for it to maintain its power structure. I returned, in my naivity and subconscious feelings of being "special," only to see the cultist methods escalate. I had another colleague attending with me and we thought as long as we could "see what was going on" it was ok and we would debrief with each other after every meeting and finish our certification. I am remembering so many details, so I will consciously finish briefly to avoid giving "too much information" if it is not an appropriate forum. Basically, things escalated to where more monies were required, commitment of months at a time, paid up front, and hours of "processing" in group why a member would not want to continue, with that member sitting in the hot seat, and linking everything to childhood trauma. Despite our decision to continue only to earn education hours, the cost was too high, because we were genuinely emotionally triggered during the meetings, which consisted of "experiential therapy." i.e. we were the patients. The professor who is a doctoral psychologist professed to psychic abilities and genuinely appeared to have such. After numerous sessions/groups (several months), she hinted at and finally flat-out stated that we were brought together by a higher power because we have a mission/purpose of great intensity for this earth, and that we would continue tapping into our 6th sense. She also always had an "advanced student" with her who would tag-team group members if the professor was challenged. There are so many more details and occurances. If you have attended any of these sessions and would like more information, please post/email.

Options: ReplyQuote

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.