My employer has drafted me into the Landmark Forum.
Posted by: ArtHuck ()
Date: August 22, 2005 05:20AM

This weekend I am going to my first/only weekend of The Landmark Forum. I've been a HUGE skeptic of this organization for the number of years my employer has been involved in it. Over these years, I have watched him "enroll" more and more of our clients into the whirpool of Forum-speak.

Some of my co-workers went earlier, and found it to be a complete waste of time, but also came back free of any apparent brainwashing. I said that I'd go, believing that I'd be able to find another job in the interim. Unfortunately, I haven't.

I understand that at some point on the first day, you are given the option to leave and get a full refund. Is that true? If I left, it would still screw my employer out of what he's paying for a two day hotel stay, but I'll gladly pay money to reimburse him, just so I don't have to sit through all of the mind-numbing Forum-speak, and waste a weekend with a bunch of doe-eyed pod-people.

I realize that I'm talking to the converted (fellow skeptics), but does anyone have any specific advice for the predicament I've stupidly put myself in?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: bonnie ()
Date: August 22, 2005 06:15AM

You already answered your own question, if you think about it.
Also, you said you'd go; did you say you'd stay and listen?
Besides, why does he want you to go, anyway?

Date: August 22, 2005 06:52AM

Correct. I didn't say how long I would stay.

Interesting. When I first confronted him about "making" us go to this thing, he came back with "All I asked was for you to choose one of the available (Landmark) dates. That's all."
I'll just use his verbal technicalities on him.

So bonnie, would you say that I should just be "a stand" for myself?
Sorry. Man, that stuff is creepy even in type.

BTW his reason for our going was to encourage communication and to make sure that we all "speak the same language." :roll:

Posted by: patrick-darcy ()
Date: August 22, 2005 09:50AM

u stand u and say no.

they wont appear to understand what no means but u tell
them no.

or........

u let yourself be mainuplated by other people. people that
dont have your best at heart.

its up to u. sometimes u have to stand up for yourself. if u
cant they will enroll u.

which brings me to another point. so many people especially
in the united states seem to be almost unable to stand
up for themselves. i find this rather interesting too.

heres an example. the right wing christians in the united states
have been trained or brainwashed if u prefer to be one thinkers.

there is a penalty to pay for one thinking. if that can be
removed they have no thinking left at all.

as long as they continue to pray in public and talk about their
orfices in private they believe they are a success.

Date: August 22, 2005 10:21AM

Correct. I didn't say how long I would stay.

Interesting. When I first confronted him about "making" us go to this thing, he came back with "All I asked was for you to choose one of the available (Landmark) dates. That's all."
I'll just use his verbal technicalities on him.

So bonnie, would you say that I should just be "a stand" for myself?
Sorry. Man, that stuff is creepy even in type.

BTW his reason for our going was to encourage communication and to make sure that we all "speak the same language." :roll:

Oh, and patrick, I find that your caricature of, as you say, American "right wing christians" to be just that. A caricature.
People who are christians aren't some monolithic block. They're just individual christians who believe in God (They've been around for centuries, and are nothing new.) I see that need to caricature people as an unfortunate substitute for critical thought.
(Yes, this may seem hypocritical considering the disparaging remarks in my first post, but I've had direct experience with people from both groups, and not once have I ever entered a church where I was ushered out for not tithing, which I'm confident can't be said for The Forum.)

I digress.

Posted by: elena ()
Date: August 22, 2005 01:25PM

ArtHuck

I realize that I'm talking to the converted (fellow skeptics), but does anyone have any specific advice for the predicament I've stupidly put myself in?

Go ahead and then come back and tell us about it. But remember, they're hoping that a combination of curiosity. a possible vulnerability they can find and tap into, hypnotizability, and the feeling that you've "invested" time and/or money so you might as well sit through it and see if you can get anything out of it will serve to keep you in your seat. After thirty-odd years of practice, you'd think they'd have gotten pretty good at the seduction business, so be careful. They know that the longer you remain in your seat, the greater the chances that one of their tactics will work on you. And watch out for the "attractive" recruiters who will stare into your eyes. They're trained to do this.

Honestly, they don't want you if you're a skeptic. They think you'll spread the skepticism to others. They want people they can control. They want people who will bring other people into the "programs."

Ellen

Posted by: sonnie_dee ()
Date: August 22, 2005 04:06PM

There is a point during day one when you can get up and leave and get a refund minus the non refundable deposit. Personally you are better to pull out before because you will get the same amount. These days if you pressure landmark they will also give back the non refundable deposit.

I strongly reommend against going. even if it is just for the first day. it is very hard to walk out in front of 200 people on the first day!!

Posted by: Dynamix ()
Date: August 22, 2005 08:18PM

Be honest with your boss. Tell him you've read up on this group, reviewed the evidence and talked to some people who've done/attempted the course, and based on the evidence you've decided you aren't interested. It's better to do this beforehand, trust me. It's VERY easy to get sucked in. I went in expecting to dissect the course, instead, I got involved for a few (agonising) months and did some things I really regret (humiliated myself in front of friends, hurt family members) you're better off STAYING AWAY.

Here are a few responses to typical landmark approaches for getting you to attend a seminar.

------------------

"You won't know what it's all about until you experience it."/"The forum can't be described you have to experience it for youself."

"BS. Of course the forum can be described, you don't want to describe it to me because you know it will sound ridiculous to someone not initiated. The only place forum logic makes sense is in the forum, not out here in the real world. They told you not to attempt to describe the forum because it might 'scare me off', yes?"

-------------------

"The forum made a huge difference for me, for example, it did X. I just want to give you the same chance as a friend because I care about you."

"I know you only want the best for me, but believe me, I am happy the way I am. I'm going to learn and develop in my own time, and I don't need a course to manage my life. Thanks."

Landmark people believe that there are no legitimate excuses in life. Excuses are just things that we make up so we don't have to do the forum. Doing the forum and enrolling more people into the forum is what Landmarkians most believe in. They will do whatever they can to disable any excuses you have and make you give in. DON'T GIVE IN! SOME EXCUSES ARE LEGITIMATE EXCUSES!

Good luck :)

Posted by: glam ()
Date: August 22, 2005 08:55PM

Don't go. Get "sick" if you must. Don't listen to your boss when he starts to call you out on "keeping your word." This is exactly the sort of nonsense Landmark wants to drill into your mind to keep you coming. This should be the spark that gets you looking for that new job.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.