Landmark Training IN MY living room!!!! + a question
Posted by: hype2120 ()
Date: July 04, 2005 01:16PM

I just need to vent. My roommate is being coached on giving the Landmark Introduction speech...in our living room...which sort of extends to our dining room and kitchen. Her coach has been here for over SIX hours!!! And I am stuck in my garage. I guess I could hide in my bedroom but then I have to listen to them. For a while I did that and tried to read but it was impossible not to evesdrop. What I noticed most was so ironic -- the fish tale my roommate is telling about how Landmark changed her life -- is quite certainly the biggest whopper of a lie that I have ever heard her tell. And i wonder...does she know that is all erroneous information? Does the coach know? Does anyone at Landmark care? It is like a sit-com in my house -- a six hour sit-com. My goodness. It is Sunday night...it is 10 pm -- shouldn't she go home soon???? Six hours of this garbage. And it's all a big, fat lie. She isn't a leader at her job -- she lost her job (probably because she was doing too much Landmark crap while she was supposed to be working.) She talked about how her entire family wanted her to take the black sheep of the family (her neice) in -- when they kicked the girl out. When really -- the neice had nowhere else to go!! Then she goes on about how she helped change her neices life -- when I was the one who was left taking care of the teenager. My roommate didn't even acknowledge her neice's existence. I could go on...but why? I am sure you all get the picture.

And a side note -- if anyone could help me on this. I was telling my roommate last week -- in the most subtle way I could -- about some of the similarities between Scientology and Landmark. Since we live in Los Angeles, most people are very aware of Scientology -- and most people are sick to death of it -- including my roommate. And when I approached the topic of Scientology, she turned up her nose and said, "Who was it who said 'if you want to get rich, invent a religion?, in a pejorative tone. I felt there was a tiny opening into which I could shed some light...at that juncture.

And I thought by illustrating a few similarities between Scientology & LEC, she might begin to question Landmark. There are some concrete similarities, as we all know. I sort of hinted at the fact that only a small group of people are making a very large amount of money on Landmark. And I stated what I thought was a fact -- this is where I need some "fact checking helpers" -- I said very, very few people who are at "The Center" -- are getting paid. And as I was trying to mention this subtley -- I said -- something like -- "the head people must make so much money since all of you guys volunteer at the Center"

She looked at me like I was nuts. And she rattled off a list of "paid positions" at Landmark...like the phone operators, the cleaning crew, some of the facilitators, etc. She rattled off a pretty big list. Is she correct? How many people are really on the LEC payroll?

I just want to have my facts correct. Does anyone know the answer?

Thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: midonov123 ()
Date: July 04, 2005 09:45PM

hype2120
She looked at me like I was nuts. And she rattled off a list of "paid positions" at Landmark...like the phone operators, the cleaning crew, some of the facilitators, etc. She rattled off a pretty big list. Is she correct? How many people are really on the LEC payroll?

I just want to have my facts correct. Does anyone know the answer?

Thanks!

I'm in Montreal Quebec. About two months ago, my ex-Landmark girlfriend (wo is very well informed about the activities at the office - she's been doing this for 6 years) told me that the office was down to only 2 employees! The rest was volunteers. BTW, we broke up because of Landmark and nothing else.

Michael D

Posted by: The_Trooper ()
Date: July 04, 2005 11:34PM

I've read that Lan dmark has about 450 people on payroll, which is not very many when one considers that there are over 30 offices in the US alone + many others worldwide... I don't think LM could turn a profit with the prices they charge were it not for the volunteers ... and I don't think LM could surivive if they had to charge $1500 or so to break even at their current enrollment level. Look, for example, at how much tuition universities charge for continuing ed or non-degree courses ..

Here is a link that might shed some light..

[metroactive.com]

Posted by: sonnie_dee ()
Date: July 05, 2005 03:00PM

Hi Hype,

In terms of some "facts" about staff I can provide what I know, there are approximately 450 paid staff world wide, the majority of the work is done by volunteers who are part of the "assisting programme"

Centres range in size from 2 paid staff to over 20 paid staff (in places like London and New York) and world head quarters in San francisco has a significant number of paid staff.

The landmark forum leaders, advanced course leaders, communication course leaders are all paid leaders. The SELP, Seminar and TMLP leaders are not paid unless they are also a staff member in an office.

The course supervisors and others around a course are not paid. Cleaning is usually done by volunteers or staff. If the centre can afford it they might contract it to another company.

When I went onto staff I was told "that each staff members role is to big for one person" and that was one completely honest statement. The roles can be made for anywhere from seven to seventy staff which one person has to manage. That is where the volunteers are used, to do the jobs that the paid staff can't do by themselves.

I firmly believe landmark would collapse if they didn't have the volunteers. They manipulate people into volunteering by naming it a programme and telling people they will get so much out of it but landmark get so much more out of them - Free labour

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.