Personality changed by Landmark
Posted by: shirelle ()
Date: April 30, 2005 01:22AM

My daughter has attended several Landmark "classes". She has tried to enroll everyone she knows, but has given up on me. I actually attended one of their recruitment seminars just to make her happy, and I saw through their schemes right away. I am concerned because my daughter seems to have lost her personality. She speaks in a tone with no emotion, and she uses sentences that seem memorized. She has also become a real "know it all" and seems full of herself. She has been involved for several years with Landmark, and I feel that she is becoming more and more self-centered and controlling. She seems more comfortable in large groups than in one-on-one situations. Her self-esteem is almost too high, if that is possible. She is now in her early 30's.

I am curious to know if anyone else has experienced a situation like this, and, if so, is there any hope of her ever snapping out of it? I would really like her back someday!

Thank you for any insight.

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: April 30, 2005 05:19AM

This is exactly what happened to my ex. I know it's sad to watch someone you love go through this. I'm sad to say he didn't snap out of it so I disassociated myself with him. I hope for your sake that your daughter sees the light and gets away.....

Posted by: sonnie_dee ()
Date: April 30, 2005 07:23AM

Shirelle,

Landmark has a way of pushing too far and the majority of people eventually see the company for what it is.

All I can suggest in the mean time is just be there for her, dont put Landmark Down and don't go on about her particpation or how different she is.

My parents initally did all this and then settled down to just accept that they had to wait for me to get out on my own. If they hadn't I think our relationship would have been in tatters.

A lot of my friendships went down the drain because of how I behaved while in Landmark but while you are there you can't see the negitive, you fee good, great even. You fool yourself that even when you are being bullied that its good! As for her "too high self esteem" its a false thing and when she crashes she will need you.

Good luck with your daughter, just be there for her.

Posted by: BuddyBear ()
Date: April 30, 2005 01:57PM

Shirelle

I am really sorry for your loss. My only suggestion as I am not an expert in the mental health field is to get your daughter to participate in something that brought them enjoyment before joining the cult. Did she like to go hiking or go bowling or even play tennis? What kind of music did she enjoy? Try to get them to remember how much fun they had before the cult took away their freedom. My experience with Dahnhak is similar to other people who were caught up in the web of a cult. I never forgot how much fun my leisure activities were for me. These activities have saved my life. Cults such as Dahnhak will let you know what activities you may do as well as the type of movies and music you watch and listen to. Please try and let your daughter know what personal freedom feels like. It may help. Good Luck.

Posted by: Hope ()
Date: April 30, 2005 09:16PM

Shirelle,

So sorry to hear about your daughter's involvement. Everyone here has given good advice regarding activities that LECers might have enjoyed pre-LE, and just being there for her.

I was "Landmarked" by my doctor for about 1-1/2 years. He never told me he was using LE "technology" as part of his holistic medical practice. I felt all the same way your daughter does - very empowered, but then it hit me that it was really a power with no substance to it. In the meantime, my marriage suffered and I did nothing that I enjoyed - painting, birdwatching, etc.

Music has a deep emotional effect on most people. I don't know if you could get your daughter out of the house to do something she used to do - I certainly would not have "gone back to my old way of being" if someone asked me to go birdwatching. Perhaps putting on a CD of something she used to like would be a small step and bringing her back. This is a technique (not a technology :wink: ) that job counselors sometimes use to help people remember the goals they had early on in life.

Hang in there.
Hope

Posted by: ULTAWARE ()
Date: May 01, 2005 11:48AM

Shirelle,

I feel the pain you must be enduring right now. I lost my best friend (now ex-wife) to the LEC talons.

I tried everything I could (including an exit-counseling atttempt)

!st, please realize/get/inhale/understand-in-the-core what you are facing (other RRoss articels, Freedom pf the mind site, etc) knowledge IS power.
Get to know the enemy before you try to deal with it's weapons.

This is powerful ---- you'r dealing with...'cause they IMO, "bubble-it-up" from inside thier own heads...they appear to be un-involved when it happens...

If you want to chat further...e-m me.

Be strong (for yourself)

PAX

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.