Pages: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4
Why Landmark is so conflicting and create so many problems
Posted by: Acuracura ()
Date: August 26, 2005 07:57AM

I did pay for the courses, and I got something for my money. It's clear to me that Landmark is a business; I have no problem with that. I don't think I really care if Werner Erhard's compilation of tools is borrowed from other philosophers; I didn't find any conflict with religion in any of the courses I took- in fact, I think it helped me be a much more responsible person with respect to my relationships with others, supporting the basic tenets of my religion. As for volunteering, it turned out that I got much more out of that for myself than I expected. It's sort of part of "the technology" in a hippie dippie sense. If my volunteering helped in any way to keep the price of the courses down, then I'm happy to have done it. I guess I'm far less concerned with Landmark's profit margin than I am with the value I got out of doing courses there and the value others have gotten or will get from them. I honestly didn't get a whiff of anything like religion there- not even a distant one.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Dynamix ()
Date: August 26, 2005 02:52PM

Acuracura
I just read all these complaints about Landmark and in most of them, there's the "I gave them my credit card number..." and it makes me wince. I've taken a lot of Landmark courses, including the Curriculum for Living (the Forum, the Advanced Course and the SELP); I've taken several seminars, the Introduction to Forum Leaders Program (that trains you to lead introductions) and coached the SELP and IFLP (helping participants master the course). I've led introductions to the Forum (those little seminars where your friends bring you on "graduation night") and assisted in the Forum, courses and the introductions. Through all that, I managed to maintain my individuality while VOLUNTARILY immersing myself in the Landmark technology. I think the key is probably realizing from the very beginning that Landmark is just a pile of tools that you can use to work on your life in a kind of mechanical way; it's not a religion or any sort of "belief system," it's not something that anyone should be able to force you to do. You just pick up a tool they show you, try it out, if it works you use it; if it doesn't work, you discard it and move on. As a program coach, I thought THIS distinction was one of the most important to emphasize to participants, since how YOU perceive the technology informs how you share it. If it occurs for you as a belief system, then when you share it with others, it comes off as proselytizing and as pressure. Landmark really doesn't want to pressure people into doing things, but I believe that sometimes the people who are part of it (like introduction leaders and program leaders) don't convey that very well or don't manage what is sometimes a very fine line between the Landmark distinction "enrollment" and what guests perceive as "pressure". Sometimes I felt bombarded by "pressure" to "share the Forum," or to "bring more guests." I also felt comfortable "being a no" for that sometimes, and I was able to stand there and say "no, I'm not committing to bringing guests. I might." It concerns me that there are people who would not feel comfortable declaring that, the same people who gave their credit card numbers when asked repeatedly to register. Landmark employees and volunteers are trained to respect outright "No", but are trained to use waffling as an opportunity, just like in sales. I realize that some people waffle because they don't like to tell people "no" or because they're afraid of appearing some way to others, or because they think it's rude to be blunt. I worry about those people and Landmark's effect on them. Usually the Forum starts with the leader asking if anyone was coerced to come, and if they were, inviting them to leave. Most people don't leave at this point, for me, it was curiosity that kept me. There's another opportunity to leave and get a complete refund, and most people don't take that either. I think anyone who stays after that who doesn't want to be there is probably enmired in some kind of exercise in anger that never gives them the opportunity to see anything presented as a choice of tools, and simply that. It becomes something much bigger, and that's unfortunate. It took me lots of courses to be able to use the tools effectively and easily in my life, and when I felt like I had enough tools and enough of being around Landmark I didn't take or coach any more courses. I think the great challenge is to be able to take the things you've learned and make them work in YOUR version of living, not in the Landmark community, which is pretty much living your life eternally in courses. I don't fault the people who live and breathe Landmark, it gives you a very well-supported life and kind of forces you to be in action all the time, to operate in the technology all the time. Most of them are pretty successful! Here's the thing: the best way to learn French is by immersion, by speaking it all the time when you're in the course. Then the course is over though, and you speak it when it's needed or when you feel like speaking it. Landmark should be the same way- while you're in the course, just do the exercises to learn, knowing that when the course is over, you don't have to do them anymore if they don't work for you. You can say no to any volunteer and walk away. I really feel badly that people have lost friends behind these courses, have come away from them with this much vitriol; I wish there were some way to take the charge off them so that they occur like taking immersion French rather than dangerous psychological meddling. Introductions to the Forum shouldn't be ambushes, they should be invitations. Sometimes Forum participants don't tell their guests what to expect, maybe because they don't know or they're afraid their guests will say no. I think people really do mean well; they want to share their breakthroughs with the people important to them, but sometimes the sharing just doesn't go well. I'm glad I took all those courses, overall I learned some pretty cool things. When I didn't want to take a course that was pitched to me, I said "no thanks," or "I'll think about it and decide by next week (or whenever)" if I was considering it. I hate the thought that some of you would like to see Landmark gone altogether because some people have struggled with some aspects of it. It was a great thing for me and for many others. I just wish it could be universally taken at face value and no more than that.

This the very way Landmark defends itself. Always shifting the blame onto the consumer, not the product. Any feelings of resentment or dissatisfaction are always attributed to the way the participant interpreted the program, and it all stems from this thinking of "that's your racket" or "that's your already always listening." Ever notice how all these "tools" (as I so often hear them described) are all designed to defend the corporation, and give it perfect immunity to any sort of criticism? A doctrine (or set of "tools" as you call it) that cannot be questioned is the very definition of a cult!

You talked about people being uncomfortable with saying 'no'. I think you pretty much nailed it there, these are exactly the sort of people who end up getting addicted to the many courses. It starts out as a 'yes, but I really don't want to and feel pressured.' and overtime becomes a 'yes, and any bad feelings I have are just my evil rackets out to get me.' It is simply an injustice that these people have been (very gently) coerced into betraying themselves and their own feelings, Tran$forming them into loyal minions. I'm very happy for you that you had the strength to resist that, and could be a "no." It's harder than most people think when faced with the actual situation.

I am still very much doubtful that much (if anything) of what they teach there is valuable. A lot of the 'breakthroughs' that people have in their relationships simply aren't real. I was amazed at how my friends and family who I supposedly convinced that Landmark was an "alright thing" were relieved to see that I got out.

And really, your own description of it leaves me kind of cold: "Landmark is just a pile of tools that you can use to work on your life in a kind of mechanical way". Personally, I don't want to live my life in any kind of mechanical way. I want to invent and discover my own rules, even if it means I have to run a few rackets from time to time to make them. I'm 'enrolled' in the school of life. That's all the tuition I need.

Posted by: rrmoderator ()
Date: August 26, 2005 07:12PM

Acuraacura:

OK we "get it" you are an avid Landark junkie taking course after course and providing free labor to the group, which is a for-profit privately owned company.

You don't seem to care who gets hurt or what the actual history of the group is and you blame Landmark's victims for the injuries they have suffered.

Sounds like you are "brainwashed."

But I guess in the US there is no law against brainwashing and if you want to continue with mindless devotion to some group or guru that's your choice.

Posted by: midonov123 ()
Date: August 26, 2005 10:00PM

Acuracura
Landmark really doesn't want to pressure people into doing things, but I believe that sometimes the people who are part of it (like introduction leaders and program leaders) don't convey that very well or don't manage what is sometimes a very fine line between the Landmark distinction "enrollment" and what guests perceive as "pressure".

The "fine line" is so fine, it doesn't even exist. You don't call it pressure, but it's the same. You choose to say NO, but did you really choose "authentically", i.e. without external influence?! I doubt it. I think you were being pressured to keep taking courses in a very subtle way you just can't see the fine line anymore. Being "authentic" means taking control over your life without external pressure. With landmark, the pressure or "influence" is overwhelming. Everything that is being said during training sessions and coaching is manipulative, including the invitation to leave after asking if people were coerced to attend. Of course they were coerced in a deceptive way, but when they are being asked, they get caught even deeper in the manipulation scheme. Your "distinction" is deceptive, and your authenticity is deviant.

Posted by: midonov123 ()
Date: August 27, 2005 12:43AM

Acuracura
Introductions to the Forum shouldn't be ambushes, they should be invitations. Sometimes Forum participants don't tell their guests what to expect, maybe because they don't know or they're afraid their guests will say no. I think people really do mean well; they want to share their breakthroughs with the people important to them, but sometimes the sharing just doesn't go well.

Why don't you try this to enroll people - be authentic :

"Hello my friend! I recently joined a New Age cult and I welcome you to join me in this endeavor. We have an introduction next tuesday night. We will try to convince you that your life isn't working, that you are not authentic and that you are running "rackets". We will try to make you feel miserable about your own life for example by telling you that if your life is just "OK" this is not enough and you are missing something important to be happy - our cult. If you don't have a problem, don't worry we will create one for you - and then we will offer you Landmark as a gift to cure you. This endeavor is without an end, and you will always be offered to take more and more courses in order for you to have an extraordinary life - as a Landmark's cult member. Isn't that great?! Bring all your friends and your checkbook!!! Let's have a great and wonderful life together. If not, you can go to hell and your not my friend anymore. Why? Oups! I forgot to tell you that we cannot be friends and have a normal relationship unless we are all "transformed" into Landmarkians. That's the only drawback - but a minor one isn't it? What?? You say I'm pressuring you??? No I don't! I just want to make a difference for you! "

I could go on and on whith that BS, but I guess you get the picture. The picture of the Landmark's biggest racket of all.

Posted by: sonnie_dee ()
Date: August 27, 2005 07:43AM

Landmark employees and volunteers are trained to respect outright "No", but are trained to use waffling as an opportunity, just like in sales. I realize that some people waffle because they don't like to tell people "no" or because they're afraid of appearing some way to others, or because they think it's rude to be blunt. I worry about those people and Landmark's effect on them

Landmarks "official" line is that volunteers and staff and leaders are trained to respect an outright "No". In reality they are taught to question a customer further when they say no.

The waffle you refer to is Landmark. Most people in the world will not say an outright no because it is considered rude in many cultures, so they will say No in other ways.

But landmark will not accept their NO.

Even if someone does say NO explicitly landmark will still continue questioning the person and "enrolling"(read as pressuring) them to do their courses.

Landmark really doesn't want to pressure people into doing things, but I believe that sometimes the people who are part of it (like introduction leaders and program leaders) don't convey that very well or don't manage what is sometimes a very fine line between the Landmark distinction "enrollment" and what guests perceive as "pressure".

There is no fine line. Again landmarks official line is "dont pressue - enroll" but in reality they teach their leaders to question and push and discover what little thing will "enroll" the person into their course.

Introductions to the Forum shouldn't be ambushes, they should be invitations. Sometimes Forum participants don't tell their guests what to expect, maybe because they don't know or they're afraid their guests will say no. I think people really do mean well;

People are pressured through out courses to bring their friends to an introduction if they dont get someone they get coached and humliated and pressured to an unbelievable level so these people will do ANYTHING to get someone along. Even to the point of offering to pay just to get a landmark forum leader or staff member off their backs.

ILP particpants are some of the worst for doing things sneakily because they need to get their numbers up.

People do not prepare their guests (like landmark officially teaches) because if they did they know their friends, family and collegues will say no and then they will have to face the landmark forum leader who will tell them how "they were not enrolling, how unauthentic they were, how they dont really care about their friends.

The pressue particpants, staff etc put on friends to attend introduction is a direct result of the underhanded covert pressure placed on them!!!!

Pages: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.