Scepticism around brainwashing?
Posted by: Ertras ()
Date: March 06, 2005 06:32PM

I first heard that there is some scepticism surrounding the whole notion of brainwashing when I used the term in a philosophy seminar at University and was told by the professor that no such thing exists.

With that in mind I came accross this article:

[religiousmovements.lib.virginia.edu]

What are your thoughts guys?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: rrmoderator ()
Date: March 06, 2005 09:57PM

The link you offer is to the Web site of Jeffrey Hadden a cult apologist.

See [www.culteducation.com]

Also see [www.culteducation.com]

And also [www.culteducation.com]

For more information about "brainwashing"---

See [www.culteducation.com]

Undue influence through coercive persuasion, thought reform or what is commonly called "brainwashing" has been established in court as can be seen by recent cases.

See the following:

[www.culteducation.com]

[www.culteducation.com]

[www.culteducation.com]

[www.culteducation.com]

[www.culteducation.com]

[www.culteducation.com]

Note: If you review the links and footnotes provided by Hadden, many of the names include regular apologists for cults.

Posted by: Acid Reindeer ()
Date: March 08, 2005 02:53PM

not any more.

I had read about thought reform and even experienced some of it while in a mental institution and I know something of alternate states of consciousness, having experienced them with and without drugs, purposefully or spontaneously.

two different friends joined the Hare Krishnas and I saw them in each case change into total believes in their religion.

the changes that happened with my sister after she took Landmark, though, took days to happen and they did not happen in the circumstances of duress that took place when I got put in the institution.

so I have no doubt now of the power of thought reform and the power of ideology.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.