Pages: 1234567Next
Current Page: 1 of 7
Can I survive a trip to the Landmark Forum?
Posted by: QuestioningMinds ()
Date: October 19, 2004 04:23PM

I have managed to fight it off for a few months now but my g/f who is heavy into LM has laid down the law. Either I go to the forum or our relationship will be "completed".

Even outside the world of LM anyone that lays an ultimatum down like that deserves to be kicked to the curb. That is something I must decide.

The strange part is that I do have many friend that have gone through the LMF some of whom have done nothing and others that just keep going. Prior to this only one of them had been at me to go but in a peaceful, non-threatening way. With these people, I do have good conversations that keep me thinking.

My question is, if I decide to do the course, can I walk out for the better, with my head still on straight or will I be fucked in the head by Sunday afternoon?

Nope, haven't been raped, rejected by mom, and overall I am happy positive person.

I am looking foward to the discussion.

QM

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: corboy ()
Date: October 19, 2004 09:44PM

No one can predict with pin-point accuracy how you will fare. No one can make that kind of decision for you.

But there is a great deal of information available on the RR.com message board and in its groups database that you can read that will enable you to decide, for yourself, whether the risk to benefit ratio of participating will be sufficiently in your favor to justify giving up a weekend and spending a substantial amount of money:

'Manipulating the Room Environment'

[board.culteducation.com]

and this extremely user-friendly thread in a Q & A format.
[board.culteducation.com]

Posted by: andy ()
Date: October 19, 2004 11:56PM

The overwhelming majority of people who do Landmark are quite pleased with it. They are highly educated, successful people. As you have also noticed, most people don't become seminar "junkies" and a few do.

My recommendation:

Don't acquiesce to her ultimatum if you plan on having a long term relationship with this woman. She's testing you. If you knuckle under to her demands she will view you as weak and ultimately unworthy of her. If you do it it must be under your terms and because you want to.

On the other hand, if this is just a short fling and your just looking to continue to get---- well you know--- for a little while longer, then let your conscience be you guide.

The stuff posted here about brainwashing, "room manipulation", and some of the other fanciful notions are just the musing of a lunatic fringe that have their own phoney-baloney careers at stake if no one chooses to listen to them.

I'm sure the moderators won't honor the same freedom of speech that they claim they deserve by posting this message.

Isn't controlling and limiting information one of the ways you claim "mind controllers" brainwash people? Maybe you really are experts. You are using the same techniques to brainwash your own devotees and followers.

Posted by: Montreal ()
Date: October 20, 2004 12:37AM

Hello Questioning Minds,

You answered your own question about what you should be doing when it comes down to the "Relationship" in itself, by saying [b:16bb8fe58b]"Even outside the world of LM anyone that lays an ultimatum down like that deserves to be kicked to the curb.[/b:16bb8fe58b] True, no one should be forcing anything upon anyone and no one should be doing everything and anything someone asks, just in order to keep them.

You also said, [b:16bb8fe58b]"I have managed to fight it off for a few months, either I go to the forum or our relationship will be "completed". [/b:16bb8fe58b]That in itself should be telling you, that she is trying to recruit you, and has no interest in you or a relationship with you, unless you are part of Landmark!!!! Put feelings aside, and focus on "either I go to the forum or our relationship will be "completed". Think back to when you were a kid, remember these words "You're not my friend, if you don't do it". You're an adult now!!!! Do you actually need to be doing things, just in order to keep someone??? Completed???? Strange term, to use for ending a relationship, sounds more like a term used to terminate a contract or a deal.

You wrote [b:16bb8fe58b]"The strange part is that I do have many friends that have gone through the LMF some of whom have done nothing and others that just keep going. Prior to this only one of them had been at me to go but in a peaceful, non-threatening way. With these people, I do have good conversations that keep me thinking"[/b:16bb8fe58b]

Tempting huh? Curious? Think about drugs!!! The effect drugs give, is not the same to everyone. Some get hooked and go back for more,, Some don't and it becomes a one time experience,, Some the effect can be deadly!!!!! Are you someone that will try drugs, because your friend tells you, he had such a great trip on it, or are you someone that has enough information about the possible effects of it, and turns your back on them? This is your life.... Ready to risk on the possibilities of the effects????

I think there is enough information on this site telling you what Landmark is, how Landmarkians think and what Landmarkians do. If you came this far in asking questions, then gut-feeling is telling you something!!!!

Question:

- How did you meet her?
- How early in the relationship was "Landmark" mentioned?
- When you write, you've been fighting it for a few months, what is being
said to you?
- You wrote she was heavy into Landmark, where is she at in it?

I lost my b/f, 4 months ago after he met a Landmarkian that was in the process of "Creating for herself the Possibility of being in a Relationship",,, He went to the "Forum" seminar out of curiosity,,, let me tell you, I saw and am seeing the effects of what she and those 4 days are doing to him. The worse part, he doesn't see it,,,,,,

Posted by: patrick-darcy ()
Date: October 20, 2004 12:41AM

with u telling us that your girlfriend has laid down the law , well
if your girlfriend is going to insist u get brainwashed, then in
all likelihood u will do so.

u may not have been raped or reject or anyone but u are not
showing the ability to stand up for what u believe now.

how could u possibly expect not to come back all wierded out
and brainwashed ?

if your girlfriend wanted to to jump off a bridge and insisted
that u go would u do it ?

Posted by: elena ()
Date: October 20, 2004 01:47AM

QuestioningMinds
I have managed to fight it off for a few months now but my g/f who is heavy into LM has laid down the law. Either I go to the forum or our relationship will be "completed".

Doesn't the scientological content of the above statement creep you out? Did you know that the idea of "completing" something/anything came from L. Ron Hubbard? Were you aware that much of "est" and some of Landmark came originally from scientology? It is some kind of nonsense that you, I, or anybody can "complete" some unpleasant/inconvenient reality by just willing it so. That's what ElRon was peddling - some kind of quick-fix emotional negation or obliteration - and Werner Erhard adopted it from him. Memories and the construct of memories are more complicated than that. You can't just "zap" them away. The important ones will go underground and grab your attention in ways you never imagined. Landmark, for all their denials, are peddling some bogus psychotherapy which, as amateurs and slick salesmen, they have no business doing. (Read Dick Sutphen's site, "The Battle for Your Mind.")

Ellen

Posted by: glam ()
Date: October 20, 2004 03:44AM

Welcome to the group. You're fortunate to have found this site before you did the Forum.

Two things: First, do you want to be with a person who feels you're not good enough for her unless you join a cult? Aren't you fine just the way you are? Don't you deserve to be with someone who appreciates you for you?

Second: If you decide the relationship IS worth trying to save, please recognize that your girlfriend is a victim of Landmark. They have control of her mind right now. Rather than becoming a victim yourself by attending the Forum, I'd recommend doing just the opposite -- researching the subject as much as possible and trying to help your girlfriend escape from the coercive group that's taking advantage of her. It's the best thing you can do for both of you.

Think of this as a drug she's addicted to. Wouldn't you try to help her break the addiction, rather than becoming an addict yourself?

There's tons of info here about Landmark, Scientology, etc., a list of books you can read, and people who are here to help. Please read over as much as possible before you take any action.

Glam

Posted by: Hope ()
Date: October 20, 2004 04:56AM

Have you thought about what it is that Landmark has that is so wonderful that your friend is willing to base a relationship on it? With all the people who have gone to Landmark, you would think by now the world would be seeing so many improvements. If you go, get used to your critical thinking and gut feelings being used against you to make you feel weak and inferior. You're already getting a taste of it from someone who supposedly loves you.

Posted by: PSIsurvivor ()
Date: October 20, 2004 07:23AM

There is a post by Corboy titled "methods of hypnosis". I really recommend that you read it.

LGAT seminars can really mess with your head. I think it must be common practice for them to encourage people to threaten their partners with leaving cause that is how my husband got me to go. Don't fall for it.

Posted by: elena ()
Date: October 20, 2004 07:24AM

[quote="andy" The overwhelming majority of people who do Landmark are quite pleased with it.]

...According to Landmark's PR and sales patter. Most people who "do" the "programs" have no idea what was done to them in the guise of "self-improvement." They may sort things out for themselves somehow afterwards without too much damage. Most people aren't deeply hypnotizable or suggestible. If you are, watch out! You could be turned into an unpaid and exhausted "assistant" and program hustler, trying to recruit everyone you know.

[They are highly educated, successful people.]

Uhh......more likely they ASPIRE to "highly educated and successful." (How many "highly educated" do you suppose get sucked into cults? No, they're more likely to do a little research before forking over their money, and, guess what!!! It's a cult.)

[As you have also noticed, most people don't become seminar "junkies" and a few do.]

Yes, the aforementioned "deeply hypnotizable." Landmark is peddled as some sort of "salvation" for whatever "deliverance" you imagine yourself to be in need of. It's a one-size-fits-all "secular" religion for these "true believers."

[My recommendation:

Don't acquiesce to her ultimatum if you plan on having a long term relationship with this woman. She's testing you. If you knuckle under to her demands she will view you as weak and ultimately unworthy of her. If you do it it must be under your terms and because you want to.

On the other hand, if this is just a short fling and your just looking to continue to get---- well you know--- for a little while longer, then let your conscience be you guide.]

...If you have a conscience left after the "programs." Hint; It's that "little voice" that they will discourage you from listening to.

I'd be very, very careful accepting any type of "relationship" advice from a Landmarker. The ones like "andy" are the human "predator" types who think they can use Landmark "tools" to seduce and conquer and are attracted to Landmark for that reason.

[The stuff posted here about brainwashing, "room manipulation", and some of the other fanciful notions are just the musing of a lunatic fringe that have their own phoney-baloney careers at stake if no one chooses to listen to them.]

This from an "expert" who has posted here (how many times?) Nope, just another Landmark "plant" like the ones who stand up and "share" during the programs, only this one's "seeded" himself, like a weed. In the seminars, the "plants" are part of the program. "Andy" has attempted to make an infestation of himself here.

[I'm sure the moderators won't honor the same freedom of speech that they claim they deserve by posting this message.

Isn't controlling and limiting information one of the ways you claim "mind controllers" brainwash people? Maybe you really are experts. You are using the same techniques to brainwash your own devotees and followers.[/quote]

Lame scientology "rationale" - using the First Amendment as both weapon and as shield. Don't kid yourself, Andy. You've nothing to offer but Landmark PR, and this site doesn't have to provide space for your advertisement.

Ellen

Pages: 1234567Next
Current Page: 1 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.