Existentialist philosophy and deprogramming.
Posted by: Ertras ()
Date: December 31, 2004 07:32PM

I've crossposted this because it got lost in the original thread:
[board.culteducation.com]

Hi all,

... there are two specific aspects of it that I would be grateful to discuss further.

1) As Concerned Oz has detailed, the philosophy behind the predominant LGATs is existentialism. Oz, from where did you get the objections to the existentialist account that you detailed in your post? Are these common objections (amongst philosophers) or your own?

This is a big one and at the extreme end of Existentialism. As to the first part, "I give meaning to everything"
* This implies that before you existed, existence had no meaning;
* This implies that everything you do not know about has no meaning or is objectified;
* This implies that when you die, existence reverts back to having no meaning;

Are there any posts or other documents that look in more detail at how existentialist philosophy is used by LGATs like landmark?

I studied Sartre's existentialist philosophy briefly on a 'Practical Ethics' course at University just recently and I was greatly impressed by it, enthused in fact. So it would seem that the conditioning from the LGAT course that I have attended twice is still in effect, but this leads me to my next question:

2) Should I seek to 'undo' or 'remove' *all* programming I received from the LGAT?

There are two strands to this question:

(i) What if some of the ideas / philosophies pushed by LGATs are genuinely useful/ empowering? Existentialist philosophy is popular amongst students and after studying it 'properly' (e.g. academically), I may decide that I accept it and want to use it on a day to day basis, but then if once in the past I had it 'programmed into me', am I ever in a safe or 'objective' position to do this?

(ii) Are all my ideas and philosophies that I see as having come from the LGAT actually from the LGAT? What if I believed something before I attended the LGAT and only had it re-affirmed by the LGAT? How can I separate my 'genuine' ideas and philosophies from those implanted by the LGAT, from those re-affirmed by the LGAT, or even from those that weren't related to the LGAT at all, but that post-hoc I now attribute to the LGAT?

Options: ReplyQuote

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.