Current Page: 1 of 10
A dictionary of LEC jargon and thought-stopping cliches?
Posted by: Acid Reindeer ()
Date: March 20, 2004 04:43PM

Has anyone compiled a list?

If one does not exist we can always compile one here.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Hope ()
Date: March 20, 2004 10:56PM

Enrollment - LEC goes on about enrollment and enrolling others for a long time before someone gets offended (probably a plant acting that eh\she is offended). The Forum leader incredulously asks the audience if they really thought he meant "enrolling people or getting more people to sign up: because that's not what enrollment is. Enrollment, according to LEC, is being involved and getting others involved in your committments, ideas, plans, etc.

Posted by: kittypaw ()
Date: March 24, 2004 03:32AM

Hi peeps-

I was away for the weekend (visiting my parents, not Landmark) and have been working on a glossary. I'll try to post it today or tomorrow...my brain is still addled from the red-eye I took last night.

-Val

Posted by: liz ()
Date: March 25, 2004 04:26AM

my husbands zealot LGAT daughter sounds something like this

Arent you open to " lifes possibilities?
I had sucha " powerful breakthrough"
Integrety-
Declaration- everything was a declaration
Truth and trust - Wheni told her I was NOT intersted
in her LGAT she replied by advising that I trust the process.
(Right )
Staffing - Staffing is a euphamism these higher ups in
the LGATS use as opposed to unpaid volunteers.
Rather that saying she is an unpaid volunteer for the group I suppose she feels more important being referred to as a "staffer "
Peace - interesting that she uses the word peace-
her group doesn not promote peace- rather in my opinion
emotional violence - and from some of what Ive read here
these LGATS have resulted in peoples deaths
so far Ive read of one woman dying as she was NOT allowed to get her asthma med
another 2 year old almot died when his sellit like a zealot
LGAT dad was told by his coach he could not call the kids doctor until he had finished making his enrollment calls

Yes these groups are DANGEROUS

Date: March 25, 2004 12:34PM

How about being a clearing for something?

One of the reviewers was confiding in me at the Tues closing that he wanted to be a clearing for whatever his committment was. I later asked the woman sitting next to me what he meant and when did they talk about it. She said it was brought up a few times during the Forum. I must have fallen asleep during the clearing conversation, because I see it now here and there on LEC sites, but don't remember the leader using that term.

Posted by: kittypaw ()
Date: March 25, 2004 01:35PM

Landmark's slogans and jargon encourage a sense of unity and insider/outsider dynamics.
(I am still working on completing credit where due. Please let me know if you recognize a quote that should be credited.)

Acknowledging – Clapping that follows a person's sharing a realization or declaration.

"Already always listening" – People often aren't listening because they are filtering information through that filter of pre-existing beliefs.

Applause – Occurs after each "sharing" from a Forum participant. Landmark people are planted within the groups to trigger it. (shadowlands's website)

"be your word" –Slogan promoting integrity

Being a Cause -you are actively doing something to be transformed. [www.primechoice.com]

Being authentic – Taking complete responsibility for your actions; being truthful; your best self. "The Landmark Self-Expression and Leadership Program is designed to empower participants in the authentic expression of themselves."

Breakthroughs - Life-transforming realizations.

Being "coachable" – Being able to let go of your questions and accepting everything that the leader of the session says without inquiry.

contributing to your life – Graduates sharing their Forum experiences and pressuring you into enrolling in a Landmark course.

"Commit to the possibility of being" –Agree to do whatever it takes to make the transformation in your life.

commitment-being committed to being committed. Commitment to other people, being authentic, spreading the transformations the Forum; testifying to the changes.

Completing - Speaking to people you have "unfinished business" with and accepting responsibility for any problems that occurred in the relationship (being argumentative, having been raped or abused, etc.). Ex: "I'm looking forward to completing with my ex-fiancee and creating the possibility of a unique friendship."
Forum participants are instructed to begin with the words: 'I've been making you wrong for...', 'I've been resenting...' or 'I regret that...'. and end it 'I love you.' (Amelia article)

"Do you want to make a difference in your life?" –Typical intro to a conversation about the Forum.

Drugs and medication –No prescription drugs, aspirin or alcohol are allowed. They keep you from "fully participating in and receiving all the value available to you."

"Enroll in the possibility of being"

Be Enrolling: share your new possibilities in such a way that others are touched, moved and inspired. ("Be actively enrolling people in Landmark.) Amelia Hill Sunday December 14, 2003 The Observer

Filters- Beliefs that cause you to judge people by the past "If you don’t want others to judge you, stop judging others"

Forum rules - NO talking without permission, NO taking notes, NO food or drinks other than water in the room, NO tardiness, NO drugs or booze during the weekend, etc. Any deviation from these rules risks out entire Forum experience.

"generating myself as the possibility of freedom and generosity" (livejournal-landmark)–creating yourself daily as the result of your possibilities.

"Getting it" – Accepting the Forum teachings as truth. There is no meaning in life except what you give it.

"Graduation" night – The Tuesday following the 3-day Introduction to the Forum (Fri-Sun), or the 4-day Advanced Course (Thurs-Sun) is when "graduation" or "completion" takes place. Enrollees invite their friends and family, typically with the phrase "It would mean so much to me if you came to this Tuesday night to my graduation."
The evening has two phases; the first, where Forum graduates share their "breakthroughs" with the large group. In the second half, the visitors are divided into small groups and taken to small seminar rooms to get a "taste" of the Forum, after which they are invited to sign up for the Forum. Meanwhile, the inviters finish their course with the leader at the same time.

Integrity – being your word. The worst accusation "You're not being your word." Signing a registratration form and putting down a deposit is making a commitment to take a course. Cancelling is not being your word. Even standing up to sign up to take a course is considered a commitment.

It's not about what you know, but about letting go of what you know. –The Forum

learning about what we don't know we don't know- What the Forum teaches you

Looking good –Posited as the only reason why people do good deeds. Forum leaders have cited this as Gandhi and Martin Luther King, Jr.'s motivations for their work not because they believe in them, but because they want to "look good."

''making up a story'' –ways of interpreting a story that explains the way you see the world.

meaning-making machines – Humans

Paradigm shift -(Shadowlands points out, these phrases are selected because they resonate with white-collar professionals.)

racket - believing someone is a certain fixed way. According to Landmark, rackets are not reality and not the truth. Patterns of thought and behavior that pay off; persistent complaints with a payoff

Reasons why the Forum didn't work for people-
"Well, actually, there were people who weren’t satisfied. But that’s just because they didn’t really want to get something from the Forum"
"The Forum only gives you what you want to take from it."
another_ga@hotmail.com another_ga@hotmail.com
[www.geocities.com]

RULES Intro Course; 3 15-hour days +4 hour Tuesday night meeting; Advanced Course -4 15-hour days + Tues night meeting, with only 1 90-minute meal break. Participants are informed, that the slightest deviation from the rules might result in failure. Discipline is strict. You can't go to the bathroom when you want, you take meals ingroups,there are strict rules about talking and conduct, and the leader won't hesitate to shame you into compliance.

"How much is the rest of your life worth?" Common question to people equivocating about signing up for the Forum.

Sales pitches:
1) VOLUNTEER: Did you accomplish everything you wanted to accomplish?
Potential enrollee: No I haven't
VOLUNTEER: Well, you need the advanced course.
2) If you say the course hasn't helped they ask:
Why not? What's holding you back? Lack of money, lack of interest?
If the answer is lack of interest they'll sit with you. They close in on your insecurities. They find out your insecurities and tell you that you need the Forum to overcome these things.
Summary of friend's experiences told to Karl Ericson [www.primechoice.com]

Sharing – Often occurs in large groups in front of microphones creating a bond of instant intimacy among the participants. The "oversharing" encourages/pressures others to do the same.

"stop already always listening and be in the conversation" - drop your preconceived ideas and listen to what I'm saying.

"stop running your racket." - You were supposed to face your past, examine your reactions, and finally let it go. Give up being right.

Taking a stand for you – I'm committed to your making your goal. Ex: "I'm taking a stand for you having everything you've ever dreamed of." "In creating a future, we discover in The Landmark Forum how powerful taking a stand can be in having possibilities be brought into reality." (Landmark Forum Website)

"There are no words to describe the Forum" –There are no textbooks, notetaking, or recording allowed in the Introductory Forum. There are catch-phrases and it's described as something that must be experienced to be understood.

"There's something wrong" –Interpretation of your past and your life that you give up. Everything happened. It was not good or bad.

Transformation -. After transformation, according to the theory, people put their past behind and became more effective in achieving their life goals.

Technology –Landmark's technique of using marathon-training sessions to open enrollees to the beliefs that there is no inherent meaning in life; humans are meaning-making machines, and one's potential is limitless if old thought patterns are broken.
Ex: "This technology is all about empowering people to have a choice about how they live so they aren't the powerless victims of their past."

Things being just "what happened," – Humans assign meanings, interpretations and explanations to them instead of accepting the past as a non-meaningful collection of events.

What runs your life – rackets with payoffs. Ex: "_____ is what obviously runs your life"

What you do – rackets. "is this what you do. do you do this?"

Winning Formulas -the tricks people rely on as tools for survival in the world, like good looks.

"Words are meaningless" –Funny, since words are conveying the Forum philosophies to you. (shadowlands)

"your stories" – explanations you've made up to explain your past.

Landmarkian graduate websites:
Ilovepossibility.info

Date: March 25, 2004 03:04PM

at the Forum introductory meeting, constant talk about risk.

as far as I can tell the people who get involved in the Forum in a hardcore way versus those who take it and move on do so to avoid risk.

will explain that last sentence on request.

Posted by: corboy ()
Date: March 25, 2004 09:20PM

From kittypaw's list you can see how existential philosophy is being twisted around to make ordinary skeptical human beings feel like dogshit if they have any hesitation about being coerced or put on the spot.

Two, giving up all drugs, even aspirin and coffee, will make most of us subliminally uncomfortable, perhaps our neurotransmitters plunge, and then we are likely to respond to the engineered intensity of the LGAT.

Must mention that during our week long Zen retreats, we are advised to give up drugs, to the extent we can do so and remain healthy. However, 1) coffee and tea *are available*from 7 am to 6 pm. 2) We do not consider it wrong to take an aspirin for a headache or backache and 3) anyone on prescription medication is expected to keep taking them. If you're not healthy and sane you cant do Zen.

At another Buddhist retreat center in our area, they dont offer coffee, but do have tea at mealtimes and through the night.

Other reflections:

1) There is something essentially whimsical and random built right into being alive, let alone being human. We are not machines. We evolved from sea cucumbers to humans thanks to random glitches in DNA replication. The tight, scripted programming of LGATs in which you're punished for deviation is therefore inimical to real life.

2) We need to play - and most higher animals like dogs and cats, whales and dolphins, play, too. Even flocks of birds merrily wheel around at random. First thing lost in any cult/indoctrination process is play. People on a mission demand your full attention and want all your energy. They resent play because playful people dont give full attention and are unpredicatable. (Thank God)

3) You cannot free people by running them through a coercive deceitful, tightly scripted process where freedom of consent is not possible.

This notion of freeing people from past conditioning is very 'Sixties'. No one on the planet has the wisdom to know what we should be deconditoned from and what can be put in its place. To declare that humans need deconditioning and that you or your organization are wise enough to know how we need to be re programmed is the height of arrogance.

People who are interested in 'deconditioning' and 're-conditioning' are often a little too infatuated with power and control, rather than real intimacy. They are also out of step with real mental health professionals.

Professionals cannot ethically promise radical transformation. They can only offer gradual change. The field of 'reconditioning' is littered with casulties. Certain psychotherapists who were Human Potential superstars did become enamored of offering radical transformation, but their efforts often failed, and some slid away from being professionals and turned into guru figures because they disliked peer review from colleagues, and proferred to hang out with adoring disciples.

And, quite a few were never mental health professionals at all.

Anyone who demands to transform you, assumes they know better than you do, whats good for you---run like hell and dont look back.

Surprisingly often these folks have messy private lives, and there they are, telling you they can make your life better.

Date: March 25, 2004 10:24PM

Kittypaw,

Thank you - excellent summary and I appreciate all the time and work it took you to put it into one place.

Corboy, your reply also is right on the mark. All the jargon and judgement about who's judging, if one is merely driven by rackets or winning formula leads the participant to constant analysis of everything they say and do. They're supposed to lose their filters, let down defenses, not judge anything to be right, wrong, good or bad, wonder if they are merely trying to look good, etc.

Another Forum topic was drama. Participants who shared were reprimanded and asked to lose the drama if they expressed themselves with any kind of inflection, anger, sadness, humor, sarcasm, etc. It didn't take long before zombies were sharing their life experiences - all kinds of horrific stuff -straight faced, with no emotion.

A woman claimed that she had been living in her own soap opera and after her breakthrough she announced, "Well, this soap opera has gone off the air!!!!", which the leader and audience responded to with wild applause. This little act has been described on several pro and anti-LE websites. The woman in my forum was one who didn't get up to ID herself as a reviewer, but she obviously was a plant. It's part of the program.

Date: March 26, 2004 12:39AM

on [i:b2c15f389c]rackets[/i:b2c15f389c]: this comes from a psychological school called Transactional Analysis, as in [i:b2c15f389c]I'm Okay, You're Okay[/i:b2c15f389c] and [i:b2c15f389c]Games People Play[/i:b2c15f389c], which BTW I happen to like a lot and which has helped me to figure myself out. rackets in TA make up predictable exchanges with self or other people with players, an aim and a pay-off, with the object to win sometimes by losing or to win by winning. they all have names like Wooden Leg or If It Weren't For You.

TA theory also has that solipsistic Landmark thing of regarding larger issues than the self as a racket (one entitled Ain't It Awful?). the founder also says some (or all?) women who get raped get raped as at a racket.

TA also says that people tend to either wait for death or Santa Claus (to win the lottery or whatever).

the theory of rackets in TA says that people do the same actions again and again for the safety or comfort which LEC also talks about. think that the people who take course after course act that out and some of them wait for Santa Claus to come too.

Current Page: 1 of 10

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.