Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
MLM's and religion
Posted by: agdaquiz ()
Date: January 12, 2007 06:44AM

Are there studies out there about the relationship between successful MLM's and religion?

Options: ReplyQuote
MLM's and religion
Posted by: yoongkheong ()
Date: January 13, 2007 04:50PM

Wow, I didn't think the two can come together.

But saying of which, what are the similarities?

MLM's and religion
Posted by: Lynnv2.0 ()
Date: January 14, 2007 08:21AM

Mannatech is a good example of an MLM/ religious mix. Many, if not most of the company's founders and top management are deeply religious and a significant number of them are "born again" Christians. The relative success of the company is reflected in the religious nature of it's marketing tactics. References to "miracle sugars" and "divine intervention" are popular in promotional material. Mannatech is considered by it's loyal base to be an "anointed" company. Indeed, when questions regarding the recent negative press and legal actions are discussed in the Mannatech community, it's not unusual for supporters blame the "enemy" (Satan) for instigating them.

MLM's and religion
Posted by: Gulab Jamon ()
Date: January 14, 2007 11:47AM

I think a lot of people in MLMs will recruit within their own religious groups. It doesn't matter what religion - I have seen this happen in both churches and ashrams.

My fundamentalist Christian friend was selling Herbalife and is now selling Party Lites candles. I know someone else who is selling energy plans through Ignites and everyone except her is a religious Christian - her upline even has a few ministers.

The people in my former cult (a guru path) were selling Calorad and recruiting and selling to the other members of the yoga. I was attending satsangs with another group (with another guru) and the local group leader tried to recruit me into Pre-Paid Legal. My ex-boyfriend was with Gurumayi and he said at one point Herbalife swept through the ashram like the plague.

I think people who belong to spiritual or religious groups use those groups as places to recruit and sell their MLM products.

MLM's and religion
Date: January 15, 2007 04:49AM

I guess that makes sense - that the people in your communities, whether they be secular or religious, are the people you recruit. I imagine like was mentioned above that the strength of some MLM's may be linked to whether it is linked to an organized and active religious community.

MLM's and religion
Date: January 24, 2007 05:46AM

Is there any correlation between religion (especially new religions) and the success of some MLM's? Can anyone who were former members of successful ventures speak to their experience? There is so much written about MLM's and I haven't read it but there is a book out there called False Profits (which must be a reference to false prophets or they would have called the book something else)... I guess I could start there...

MLM's and religion
Posted by: rrmoderator ()
Date: January 24, 2007 10:01PM

agdaquiz:

"New religions"?

Do you mean cult groups?

MLM's and religion
Date: January 25, 2007 01:14AM

Not really. I meant newer as in the first and second revival in America in the 1800's.

MLM's and religion
Posted by: rrmoderator ()
Date: January 25, 2007 11:10PM

agdaquiz:

This has nothing to do with MLMs or this thread.

MLM's and religion
Posted by: skepticnate ()
Date: March 07, 2007 07:16AM

its caled evangilising. except now they do it with tuperware insted of jesus.

thats were they got practice in church.

now they make $$$.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.