Posted by: faded_pink ()
Date: April 10, 2005 08:58AM

Want to know more about Mary Kay? Visit this Yahoo group:

[finance.groups.yahoo.com]

Options: ReplyQuote
Experience with Mary Kay Cosmetics?
Posted by: byebyemk ()
Date: April 10, 2005 11:21AM

The post about there being no recruiting in Mary Kay is wrong. I just got out of Mary Kay after almost a year and a half and was bombarded at every turn to recruit, recruit, recruit. The emphasis in Mary Kay has shifted from empowering or enriching women to making money using the cosmetics and skin care products as a tool to lure women to the recruiting biz. No negative (read truthful) feelings are allowed in the Mary Kay meetings, women are told what to wear and that they should always consider, "What would Mary Kay Ash do?" Women are taught to always trust their director and give her the respect that she deserves. Women are taught that if you have a problem that you only go to higher ups in the company with it - never to sister consultants...maybe the truth would leak out faster? These are just a few examples, but my opinion is that Mary Kay definitely teeters on culthood.

Date: April 10, 2005 12:21PM

The comments about inventory not being required in Mary Kay is technically correct. It's not "required" but it is heavily pushed on new consultants by some master manipulator directors and recruiters. Take a look at what's being taught by some National Sale Directors on these web sites for proof.

[www.terryswinney.com]

[www.pamelashaw.com]

MK directors are adept at persuading new consultants into "investing" in inventories worth several thousand dollars (wholesale) and that's just the beginning of many consultants' financial nightmares in the "perky pink cult." I've been there and done that - and am not doing it ever again.

Posted by: star22 ()
Date: April 12, 2005 05:36AM

I agree with you when you said that the inventory is pushed very hard. When I wrote the previous post I had not given any commitment. After I decided to sign up my national sales director called me several times about how inventory is essential for your business to thrive. Before I joined, I told her I would not be interested in ordering any kind of inventory and she acted like it was completely normal not to. She even stated that there are several successful consultants in her unit that do not have inventory. However, once I signed up the story changed and I was told I would not be able to be successful without it. But I didn't fall for that thank goodness because now its a couple months later and I have already lost interest. Sure I paid the $100 but I got more than that in product that was included. But my advice is not to join....

Date: April 19, 2005 12:00AM

Templar
Mary's gotta be clean. Probably a little like amway but how 'cult like' can make-up sales ladies be? Ever see a Pink Cadillac convention?

You need to do some research. I've been to several "conventions" but Mary Kay calls them "Seminar" or "Career Conference" and there are many, many other meetings and events you are highly encouraged to attend - at your own expense, of course.

MK is very much like Amway in that it pushes large inventories of products on consultants but 90%+ never make a profit. In fact most consultants and directors I know are swimming in pink debt but won't admit it because that's not good for recruiting! MK is an MLM in a pink package. (Oh they call it "dual-marketing" but look at the structure!)

And if you leave you're called a "quitter" or "you didn't work the business" or "you gave up on your dream", etc, etc. It's never the failing of the business plan - it's always the fault of the person leaving. And don't expect any of your former friends in the MK world to want to continue having a relationship with someone who is "negative." MK is very cult-like.

Date: April 19, 2005 12:40AM

star22
I agree with you when you said that the inventory is pushed very hard. When I wrote the previous post I had not given any commitment. After I decided to sign up my national sales director called me several times about how inventory is essential for your business to thrive. Before I joined, I told her I would not be interested in ordering any kind of inventory and she acted like it was completely normal not to. She even stated that there are several successful consultants in her unit that do not have inventory. However, once I signed up the story changed and I was told I would not be able to be successful without it. But I didn't fall for that thank goodness because now its a couple months later and I have already lost interest. Sure I paid the $100 but I got more than that in product that was included. But my advice is not to join....

I am not at all surprised that the story changed after you signed your Independent Beauty Consultant agreement. Was it by any chance near the end of the month when this director was pressuring you into ordering??? Directors have monthly quotas they must achieve in order to retain their position and/or career car. I bet new recruits and even most seasoned consultants don't know that.

Are you aware that you can return your Starter Kit for the 90% repurchase guarantee too? It must be new and unused though and you have up to a year of signing your agreement to return it.

Here's the number for the Repurchase Department at Mary Kay: 972-919-7767.

I hate all the manipulation and deception used in Mary Kay! You were wise not to purchase inventory! If you had, and then decided that you wanted to return it for the 90% buy-back, your director would have tried every tactic possible to manipulate you into not doing that - because she would have to repay the commission she earned on your orders!

You are welcome to join us on the MKSurvivor board on Yahoo if you'd like to tell your story there. Here's the link for the Yahoo group:

[finance.groups.yahoo.com]

Posted by: star22 ()
Date: April 19, 2005 04:42AM

Funny you should mention the end of the month....it was the last day of February and I thought I was just going to a meeting with the sales director so that my roommate (who had just signed up) could receive some kind of prize. I had no idea that I was going for an "interview" and joining MK was pushed greatly...so i told them I needed sometime to think...and i decided that for 100 bucks it couldn't be that bad if i decided i didn't like it...and plus i could use most of the product myself as well as the purses and things that came with it...since i haven't sold anything (i decided i didn't want to deal with the taxes and everything next year) i am practically non-existant....i was unable to go to the "weekly meetings" because of work and i was looked down on and my roommate is very bitter toward me...always saying that i never show up to the meetings...even though she goes faithfully she hasn't hardly sold anything....the sales director tried to show us how we would make money as well as pay for our inventory from the product we sell...but i didn't buy it and she got kinda flustered....so now i just buy product from my roommate instead of paying the shipping and handling myself :) I will surely join your group!

Date: July 12, 2005 12:15PM

[www.thepinkingshears.org]

"We cut the wool they pulled over your eyes!"

Posted by: radergal ()
Date: July 13, 2005 02:01AM

They didn't want to be perceived as a pyramid scheme, so they were on the forming board of the DSA. The DSA is made up of direct sellers. They make up rules for themselves. While that sounds very benevolent, the rules they make up are essentially the laws passed to protect consumers from illegal pyramid schemes.

However, draw a National Area diagram, and it's one, big, fat, pyramid. Isn't part of being a cult denying you are one? What about the same for MLM's? It's just twisting reality with lore and canned responses.

After all, I have yet to find anyone who can distinguish how "dual marketing" is any different from MLM.

Posted by: rsuddeth ()
Date: July 15, 2005 04:14AM

Well, the DSA does more than set rules for themselves (rules which most of their members are not in compliance with, BTW.) They also lobby to get state and federal laws changed to make them more favorable to MLM businesses.

Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.