Current Page: 5 of 6
The Hay House empire
Posted by: shannon ()
Date: March 29, 2007 11:09PM

Hello,

It is just so refreshing to read the posts here and finally feel normal again! Lately, I have been seriously questionning many of the New Age beliefs I have aquired over the last 4 years or so. And I fell for so many of them hook, line and sinker. I think what happened was, after I took my first Reiki class, I was so enamoured with it all and, yes, I was having some pretty interesting experiences (psychic stuff, bizarre synchronicities, etc) which just spurred me on to devour more and more. (Translation: shell out more and more money!). And most of the authors I read were HayHouse published- they just seemed to be all the most popular, trendy folks.

I remember particulary being interested in Ms. Virtue's work- and it's funny because I didn't really even question the stuff I was reading- I just took it as gospel in a way (I'm embarassed to admit). It wasn't really until a friend of mine who had done one of the week-long ATP courses in California with Virtue- came back and was telling me about it. I was immediately creeped out by what she described as her "followers"- women who emulate her by dressing like her (and what are those flowy goddessy robes she wears, anyways??), wearing their hair like hers, etc. Some of the practices she described seemed sketchy too and then the final straw for me was the cost and the growing numbers of "students". She said Virtue had noted that the course participants were going to be tripling in number for each course (meaning way less individual time you could get with Virtue herself, less intimate a setting, etc)- all for the low, low price of $5000 USD per person!! I thought- where does she get off charging such a rate? Hmmm- Ms Virtue, don't you remember the days when you were living hand-to-mouth? According to your books, they weren't really that long ago. How quickly you seem to have forgotten where you came from- unless that was all fabrication too.

I find her books are all pretty much the same- the last one I picked up was some Goddess thing set in Athens and the writing was so terrible I couldn't even get through it. A few serious Tarot practitioners I know find her Angel cards laughable! So sugary and over the top positive. They said life is about duality. How can you ever learn or be prepared for life events when the cards are so flowery? Life is not always like that- and that is ok!!

I am a Social Worker and as time wore on on the "spiritual journey", I, like one other poster here, was becoming more and more uncomfortable with the fact that many of the New Age practitioners I was meeting were not qualified to be dealing with some of the folks coming to them for help. At some Reiki courses, I wanted to shout out "At least have a community services resource book in your practice rooms so that you can refer folks to appropriate services!!". It drove me crazy. While I don't necessarily believe that talk therapy is the only answer for people and I feel our Mental Health/Health Care systems are completely flawed (I do see the benefits of alternative practices for people), going in for an Angel Reading is not going to cut it for someone with serious issues! It's just entirely irresponsible for Virtue to be spawning all these psuedo "counsellors" or whatever she calls them. I have often wondered how much damage they have caused people. Scary.

But, alas, she sits in Laguna Beach or somewhere in California- raking in the dough, wearing her flowy robes and sheilding herself from the real world. Oh yes- "Don't read the papers or listen to the news because it is just too negative!". Ok- if you never allow yourself exposure to the "negative", Doreen, then how do you know where your "lightwork" is needed??? It just irks me to no end. Where is the social responsibility? I think this positive-focused b.s is dangerous and breeds serious apathy among us.

I dont' know- it amazes me no one has tried to regulate this stuff. And again, I am all for alternative practices to some degree- but someone here said it well when they said that we are generally just supposed to take alternative health practitioners' word on good faith. Kind of scary, don't you think? It's not a coincidence that all the HayHouse names are loaded rich- look at Dyer, Choquette, Virtue, the Hicks, Browne- I like to call it all "New Wage Spirituality"- I think that says it all. I, too, have become disgusted with the money aspect of it all (is this what spirituality in the new Millenium has come to be equated with? The Almighty Dollar?). Even my own Reiki teacher here in town is apparently now charging $220 per hour for a treatment. It made my skin crawl. It is price gouging and it is shameful. Oh- but, if I say this, then suddenly I am the one who is "blocking money" or has "poverty mind" or has "subconscious fears about money"! Yikes.

My thoughts.

Options: ReplyQuote
The Hay House empire
Posted by: Fishbulb ()
Date: April 22, 2007 12:41PM

"New Wage Spirituality"! That's so perfect! I wish I'd thought of it!

I feel the same way; I believe in some aspects of that lifestyle but the GREED and BS and power-tripping is really something else.

I have been a Reiki level III for seven years now and I can tell you, the whole business about "money is energy" and "you are disrespecting the Reiki energy if you don't put a value on it" is pure dogmatic crap. Reiki practice and theory grew out of Mr. Usui's spiritual experience (not DR. Usui as there is no evidence that he ever held a doctorate in anything) and was twisted into a money-sucking black hole by Takata. I tried charging money for it once and I felt dirty; I mean, I am also a student working toward a degree in science. HOW can I charge money for something that is not explainable or even necessarily provable? I still believe in it and I still offer it when the time suits me but I will never charge for it. (Yes it seems incongruous to believe in Reiki and science both. However, there are a lot like me out there. Doesn't matter why; we just are.)

As far as the whole "New Wage" (love it!) dogma revolving around diet, medicine and "thought manifestation", people in those industries who insist upon changes in diet and medication for their clients should be held accountable in the same regard as experienced professionals and should be sued for malpractice.

I have a family member with severe mood issues, deep depressions and the like. I offered a list of possibilities ranging from hormones to lifestyle to personal chemistry, all delivered in a loving way and well-accepted by this person. She is scheduled for a doctor's appointment in the near future and she was grateful for the guidance. On the other hand, some co-worker insisted she watch, or read, THE SECRET. Gaaaawd. Yeah, THAT'LL help. Thankfully she's smart enough to avoid that road.

It's a good thing your friend's experience creeped you out, shannon. You're smart to stay away.

Should this thread be moved to the New Age section of the forum?

The Hay House empire
Posted by: Vigilant ()
Date: May 05, 2007 03:57AM

Nack to Hay House, it's a business model delivering a profit to its ownewrs. Shannon I wish I could put you in touch with my spouse! She's a thoughtful, brilliant, educated medical professional who is on her own spiritual journey and must have bought every Hay House book published.

:(

A little critical thinking would be helpful, but nothing from me seems to get through.

The Hay House empire
Posted by: shannon ()
Date: May 10, 2007 03:11AM

Hi Fishbulb!

I wish I could claim ownership of the term "New Wage" but I saw it here on one of these threads somewhere! ;0) I thought it was brilliant too!
Anyways- I totally agree with what you say about Reiki and the whole money issue. I, like you, always had huge issues with charging for it- it always felt just plain wrong. There is a reason we feel this way- and it is not as the Millionaire Mind or Hicks would have us believe (that we have poverty mind or don't see ourselves as worthy). It's because it is garbage!! Why should Reiki only be for the elite?? Your points about Takata are very well taken.

A good friend of mine recently told me that she knows of "people who
are terminally ill who feel a benefit from Reiki - but they could feel the
same benefit from chiropractors, massage therapy, reflexology, Shiatzu
massage or Yoga though. It is a lot about perception but also a lot about the spirituality and connection to the person performing it". I am coming to believe this too- and am really questionning Reiki and what it really is. I was asked to teach someone a while ago and I totally had to turn her away because I just couldn't figure out what I believe anymore!

You are also right about the issue of these so-called "spiritual leaders"/ New Age folks who prescribe dietary and med changes without any shred of medical scientific background. Oh- I'm sorry Doreen Virtue- Archangel Michael told you to do it!! Give me a break!!

As for the Secret- just hearing about it is like fingernails on a chalkboard for me. I will post more about this and the Hicks on the Hicks thread.

Thanks so much for your comments! I think we all need to get light about life- there comes a time when you just have to live your life to the best of your ability and with doing well by others too (it's not all about ME, ME, ME Abraham). I am just so glad that the brainwashing has worn off and I feel down to earth again. I am so glad to be away from the New Age community here- I'd had quite enough of the spiritual arrogance, the competition and the race for enlightenment.

Take care,
Shannon

The Hay House empire
Posted by: pauliztarza ()
Date: September 03, 2007 01:58AM

Isn' t she the lady married to this shaman fella :

www.poweranimals.com

If you have a dog, this fella shall tell you how you can spiritually connect to it.

I expected to find out how to ask German Shepard lady out for a date but then realized it's just the devil doing his stuff.

Louise Hay is allright for self-help and support. I was surprised to see she had this animal priest in her stock.

jeannelucille
After some consideration, I've decided to share some things about Doreen Virtue that I experienced, for the most part, directly. Here goes...

I became a Certified Spiritual Counselor (aka "CSC") upon completing just three weekends of training with Doreen Virtue in the late 1990's. To say that the training was superficial is an understatement. :lol: Interestingly, after a few years or so, Doreen changed her counselors' label to "Angel Therapy Practitioner", aka "ATP". By that time, I'd already begun my descent into "Doreen disillusionment". For example, I can remember feeling quite turned off by the nagging that went on at Doreen's private message board for her graduates, wherein we were continually reminded for a time that we must properly display our "ATP" designation in ads and so on with the trademark symbol. It just seemed so commercial, so at odds with spirituality. (Alas, not "New Wage" spirituality!)

Very early on I'd felt some twinges re Doreen, though I'd all but ignored those twinges for some time. Now Ms. Virtue claims to base much of her work on the principles of "A Course in Miracles". Although I've never "graduated" from this miracle course, I'm familiar enough with it to know that it says, "There are no laws but God's" and then it goes on to maintain that there are no rules anyone must follow regarding health, diet, etc. Meanwhile Doreen Virtue happens to be very big on leading a "natural" lifestyle and all but insists that the people trained by her be vegan or at least vegetarian in order to receive "clear guidance". (At least that was my experience when I'd received my "training". Maybe things have changed since then?)

When I first heard Doreen promote a special diet, I thought, "But what about Caroline Myss, who says that a person can be eating dog food and still be deeply spiritual?! Who can I believe here?" (Which is not to say that I'm all that much of a Caroline Myss fan these days. For one thing, I've discovered that Ms. Myss has promoted Sai Baba over the years, and there have been numerous reports of him using sleight of hand for his materializations, as well as molesting young boys. But I digress. :lol:)

Another thing about Doreen that had given me pause early on related to her appearance -- which may seem rather shallow, but it's the truth. To be very blunt, one day during my CSC training I can clearly recall looking Doreen over and thinking, "Jeez, she has got SOME set of boobs on her! I wonder if they're real?" Interestingly enough, when I later became friends with someone who'd known Doreen pretty well for an extended period of time, I was told that Doreen had not only sprung for a boob job, but had undergone "other work" as well. Now if that indeed is the case, then Doreen is not exactly following the "natural" lifestyle she preaches about regularly. Hmm...

Back when I was studying with Doreen, and for some time beyond that, I'd basically bought into Doreen's belief system re angels and other spiritual phenomena. However, I've since come to believe that "angelic guidance" and the like are iffy propositions at best. And so I've wondered, how well is Doreen's angelic guidance operating in her own life when, for example, she is on her fourth marriage?! Now I don't mean to judge people who've been with multiple marriages... however, in Doreen's specific case, when she is making the claims she does about the immense benefits of tuning into and following angelic guidance, it really does seem dubious that Doreen's own angels are advising her all that well in her personal life! (Uh, aside from all those $$$ she is able to rake in. On that front, her angels are doing a swell job! But then how many of us agree that "Money isn't everything"?!)

Of course Doreen is free to believe and act as she chooses... but so too are we consumers free to question her beliefs and character, especially when she keeps unloading her teachings on the public in her MANY books, CDs, tarot-like cards, and public appearances and trainings. Why, her strong support of the "Indigo Child" concept alone warrants major scrutiny, imo.

Earlier in this post I mentioned knowing someone who'd been better acquainted with Doreen than I was, and for an extended period of time. Well, this person maintained that Doreen could be incredibly nasty and power-hungry, and moreover that she didn't even believe in much of what she was teaching! Of course this is hearsay. However, from my own close encounter with Doreen during my Angel Therapy training, I am inclined to believe my friend's story. Here's what happened...

When my fellow "CSC" wannabe's and I were given a break during one of our training weekends, I'd decided to scoot over to a nearby juice bar for some nourishment. Well, it turned out that Doreen too had decided to go to that juice bar. However, she was not alone. She was with a man I hadn't seen during the training. It wasn't long before I'd felt stunned to notice that Doreen Virtue displayed a VERY different off-stage persona than the one I'd witnessed on-stage. In the limelight, Doreen was all sweetness and light. On line at the juice place, however, she came across as an absolute bitch on wheels! Imo, she spoke to the man accompanying her quite nastily and abruptly, all the while remaining utterly unsmiling and humorless. Oh heck, maybe her angels were on a break too. Because their alleged omnipresence in Doreen's life sure seemed absent for a spell. :lol:

Doreen's altered manner during the session break had really given me the creeps. Good lord! And yet, back then I'd managed to rationalize it away. Oh, I suppose my rationalizing sprang from getting addicted to all that "love and light" stuff, all those New Age promises I later discovered would rarely pan out...

Amazingly enough, the more I've distanced myself from Doreen and her ilk, and adopted a more "earthbound" approach to living, the better my life has become. How about that?!

Okay, that's my "juicy" story re Doreen Virtue. Thanks for listening, y'all. :)

The Hay House empire
Posted by: pauliztarza ()
Date: September 03, 2007 02:00AM

Yes, he says he is married to her :

[poweranimals.com]

Aren't they a match according to the principle of karma ?

pauliztarza
Isn' t she the lady married to this shaman fella :

www.poweranimals.com

If you have a dog, this fella shall tell you how you can spiritually connect to it.

I expected to find out how to ask German Shepard lady out for a date but then realized it's just the devil doing his stuff.

Louise Hay is allright for self-help and support. I was surprised to see she had this animal priest in her stock.

jeannelucille
After some consideration, I've decided to share some things about Doreen Virtue that I experienced, for the most part, directly. Here goes...

I became a Certified Spiritual Counselor (aka "CSC") upon completing just three weekends of training with Doreen Virtue in the late 1990's. To say that the training was superficial is an understatement. :lol: Interestingly, after a few years or so, Doreen changed her counselors' label to "Angel Therapy Practitioner", aka "ATP". By that time, I'd already begun my descent into "Doreen disillusionment". For example, I can remember feeling quite turned off by the nagging that went on at Doreen's private message board for her graduates, wherein we were continually reminded for a time that we must properly display our "ATP" designation in ads and so on with the trademark symbol. It just seemed so commercial, so at odds with spirituality. (Alas, not "New Wage" spirituality!)

Very early on I'd felt some twinges re Doreen, though I'd all but ignored those twinges for some time. Now Ms. Virtue claims to base much of her work on the principles of "A Course in Miracles". Although I've never "graduated" from this miracle course, I'm familiar enough with it to know that it says, "There are no laws but God's" and then it goes on to maintain that there are no rules anyone must follow regarding health, diet, etc. Meanwhile Doreen Virtue happens to be very big on leading a "natural" lifestyle and all but insists that the people trained by her be vegan or at least vegetarian in order to receive "clear guidance". (At least that was my experience when I'd received my "training". Maybe things have changed since then?)

When I first heard Doreen promote a special diet, I thought, "But what about Caroline Myss, who says that a person can be eating dog food and still be deeply spiritual?! Who can I believe here?" (Which is not to say that I'm all that much of a Caroline Myss fan these days. For one thing, I've discovered that Ms. Myss has promoted Sai Baba over the years, and there have been numerous reports of him using sleight of hand for his materializations, as well as molesting young boys. But I digress. :lol:)

Another thing about Doreen that had given me pause early on related to her appearance -- which may seem rather shallow, but it's the truth. To be very blunt, one day during my CSC training I can clearly recall looking Doreen over and thinking, "Jeez, she has got SOME set of boobs on her! I wonder if they're real?" Interestingly enough, when I later became friends with someone who'd known Doreen pretty well for an extended period of time, I was told that Doreen had not only sprung for a boob job, but had undergone "other work" as well. Now if that indeed is the case, then Doreen is not exactly following the "natural" lifestyle she preaches about regularly. Hmm...

Back when I was studying with Doreen, and for some time beyond that, I'd basically bought into Doreen's belief system re angels and other spiritual phenomena. However, I've since come to believe that "angelic guidance" and the like are iffy propositions at best. And so I've wondered, how well is Doreen's angelic guidance operating in her own life when, for example, she is on her fourth marriage?! Now I don't mean to judge people who've been with multiple marriages... however, in Doreen's specific case, when she is making the claims she does about the immense benefits of tuning into and following angelic guidance, it really does seem dubious that Doreen's own angels are advising her all that well in her personal life! (Uh, aside from all those $$$ she is able to rake in. On that front, her angels are doing a swell job! But then how many of us agree that "Money isn't everything"?!)

Of course Doreen is free to believe and act as she chooses... but so too are we consumers free to question her beliefs and character, especially when she keeps unloading her teachings on the public in her MANY books, CDs, tarot-like cards, and public appearances and trainings. Why, her strong support of the "Indigo Child" concept alone warrants major scrutiny, imo.

Earlier in this post I mentioned knowing someone who'd been better acquainted with Doreen than I was, and for an extended period of time. Well, this person maintained that Doreen could be incredibly nasty and power-hungry, and moreover that she didn't even believe in much of what she was teaching! Of course this is hearsay. However, from my own close encounter with Doreen during my Angel Therapy training, I am inclined to believe my friend's story. Here's what happened...

When my fellow "CSC" wannabe's and I were given a break during one of our training weekends, I'd decided to scoot over to a nearby juice bar for some nourishment. Well, it turned out that Doreen too had decided to go to that juice bar. However, she was not alone. She was with a man I hadn't seen during the training. It wasn't long before I'd felt stunned to notice that Doreen Virtue displayed a VERY different off-stage persona than the one I'd witnessed on-stage. In the limelight, Doreen was all sweetness and light. On line at the juice place, however, she came across as an absolute bitch on wheels! Imo, she spoke to the man accompanying her quite nastily and abruptly, all the while remaining utterly unsmiling and humorless. Oh heck, maybe her angels were on a break too. Because their alleged omnipresence in Doreen's life sure seemed absent for a spell. :lol:

Doreen's altered manner during the session break had really given me the creeps. Good lord! And yet, back then I'd managed to rationalize it away. Oh, I suppose my rationalizing sprang from getting addicted to all that "love and light" stuff, all those New Age promises I later discovered would rarely pan out...

Amazingly enough, the more I've distanced myself from Doreen and her ilk, and adopted a more "earthbound" approach to living, the better my life has become. How about that?!

Okay, that's my "juicy" story re Doreen Virtue. Thanks for listening, y'all. :)

Re: The Hay House empire
Posted by: greg hamond ()
Date: October 31, 2007 04:04AM

I went to one of her meetings.....i didnt like it or her at all.....it was cult like ! and her beliefs from what ive read are spooky.....that mind over matter always works,,,if the reports in the paper are accurate

Posted by: greg hamond ()
Date: January 10, 2008 03:34AM

i knew someone who worked for her in the 80s..i think her company then went bankrupt.He liked her !
I went to a meeting and it was " BAD GROUP THERAPY"..and i hear she blames people...even for their own deaths!!!!

Posted by: Hope ()
Date: January 10, 2008 07:43AM

shannon

I am a Social Worker and as time wore on on the "spiritual journey", I, like one other poster here, was becoming more and more uncomfortable with the fact that many of the New Age practitioners I was meeting were not qualified to be dealing with some of the folks coming to them for help. At some Reiki courses, I wanted to shout out "At least have a community services resource book in your practice rooms so that you can refer folks to appropriate services!!". It drove me crazy. While I don't necessarily believe that talk therapy is the only answer for people and I feel our Mental Health/Health Care systems are completely flawed (I do see the benefits of alternative practices for people), going in for an Angel Reading is not going to cut it for someone with serious issues! It's just entirely irresponsible for Virtue to be spawning all these psuedo "counsellors" or whatever she calls them. I have often wondered how much damage they have caused people. Scary.

Ok- if you never allow yourself exposure to the "negative", Doreen, then how do you know where your "lightwork" is needed??? It just irks me to no end. Where is the social responsibility? I think this positive-focused b.s is dangerous and breeds serious apathy among us.

It is price gouging and it is shameful. Oh- but, if I say this, then suddenly I am the one who is "blocking money" or has "poverty mind" or has "subconscious fears about money"! Yikes.

My thoughts.

Excellent points!

My naturopath, without telling his clients, was heavily into Landmark Education and treated his clients based on LE's "technology." It is scary to think about social workers, therapists (there are SO many into Dyer, Chopra, Williamson, et al) and into the positive thinking\you create your own reality nonsense. I know I really ended up beating myself up for failing to get well and was haunted by these thoughts for a long time. I also lost any sympathy and empathy for people suffering, at some level believing that if they had become ill, then it was their fault!

Many kinds of alternative practitioners can only be regulated if they can be charged with practicing medicine without a license, and that is if there is a big enough problem that they get caught. As long as they don't make any false claims about their credentials, for instance, my naturopath said he was qualified to practice as a general practitioner and was calling himself a naturopathic doctor - big no-no. But if you have a licensed, traditionally educated psychologist who decides to utilize crap like The Secret in his or her practice, it is difficult to prove any wrong-doing. And if the client has been groomed to believe they just haven't figured out their inner "secret" and have poverty mind, then the PhD basically is going to get away with it. The client will then have the original problem but also the new mind-fvck that was supposed to be therapy to deal with. It is not an easy thing to regulate.

Posted by: golfer6716 ()
Date: February 07, 2008 11:54AM

Yes, unfortunately people who live in fear and don't really trust in their beliefs must constantly put down others they do not agree with.

There is truth in many things outside of "the Church" It's a good way to live and the way God wanted it. Hey everybody, remember this thing called free will that all the "church people" want to take away from us.

Wake up and think for yourself. I like Hay House Books. They have been a blessing in my life.

God bless you all, and God bless the ministry of Hay House.

dono

Current Page: 5 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.